California Bar Moral Character Application

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
rcharter1978

Gold

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Postby rcharter1978 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:18 pm

InterAlia1961 wrote:I just wanted to update those of you who are following this thread. The Committee declined to reconsider their decision. I will be appealing to the State Bar Court. However, I'll be on my own. The attorney I hired to write the reconsideration letter charged me $750 just to write it. I could've done it myself. To proceed to State Bar Court, she wants $15,000. Apparently, that's on the low end for a SF attorney, but even that is out of my reach. I'm still paying my share of the heart valve surgery.

I'll update here when I can. The first step is filing a Application for Review with the State Bar Court. I'm pretty sure I can manage that part. If anyone has any insights, observations, or experiences to share, please message me.

Again, if you can afford it, hire an attorney up front to deal with any serious C&F issues. I may not be in the situation if I'd taken that advice.

Geez :(

Good luck. I really hope this happens for you.

I can't believe this all costs so much.

I don't know your living situation, but would it be possible to get barred in another state? I know California doesn't really have any reciprocity, but is it possible to take the bar again in an easier state, get barred there and do Federal work?

I suspect the same flags would come up, but California probably has an incentive to keep people out of the profession so the issues that prevent you from getting barred here may not be as big a deal in a state with fewer attorneys.

I just feel like it totally sucks that you may have to wait like 2 years or whatever to reapply when you've been waiting so long.

Can't you get barred in DC with a reasonable MBE score?

InterAlia1961

Bronze

Postby InterAlia1961 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:38 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:

I don't know your living situation, but would it be possible to get barred in another state? I know California doesn't really have any reciprocity, but is it possible to take the bar again in an easier state, get barred there and do Federal work?

I suspect the same flags would come up, but California probably has an incentive to keep people out of the profession so the issues that prevent you from getting barred here may not be as big a deal in a state with fewer attorneys.

I just feel like it totally sucks that you may have to wait like 2 years or whatever to reapply when you've been waiting so long.

I can wait two years, but then I'll only have a year and a half before my bar exam results expire. I'm done waiting. This is the second denial because of the same incident. I did not lack candor during the informal conference. I do not lack insight. I have rehabilitated myself and my efforts have been significant. I'm going to stand. If not now, when? If I lose at the State Bar Court, I can still apply again, presumably in two years. Although, I can't find anything that specifically states that. For all I know, you lose the opportunity to apply again in two years if you challenge them.

Applying in another jurisdiction won't help. Once you've been denied admission on moral character grounds in one state, you'll be denied everywhere. I'm locked into California.

Not only is it expensive to hire counsel, one attorney I contacted, Jerome Fishkin, isn't taking any new clients.

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Postby FinallyPassedTheBar » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:22 pm

InterAlia1961 wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:

I can wait two years, but then I'll only have a year and a half before my bar exam results expire. I'm done waiting. This is the second denial because of the same incident. I did not lack candor during the informal conference. I do not lack insight. I have rehabilitated myself and my efforts have been significant. I'm going to stand. If not now, when? If I lose at the State Bar Court, I can still apply again, presumably in two years. Although, I can't find anything that specifically states that. For all I know, you lose the opportunity to apply again in two years if you challenge them.

Applying in another jurisdiction won't help. Once you've been denied admission on moral character grounds in one state, you'll be denied everywhere. I'm locked into California.

Not only is it expensive to hire counsel, one attorney I contacted, Jerome Fishkin, isn't taking any new clients.

I admire your determination.

What are you planning to do if your bar results expire before passing C&F Are you planning on taking the bar exam again?

rcharter1978

Gold

Postby rcharter1978 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:47 pm

I feel like I might have used Jerome fishkins office because that sounds vaguely familiar. But a female partner(?) handled my issue and I think her hourly rate was far less and she was really good. Although she was very clear that the rates would go up the further along I went in the process I would have lost my damn mind if 15000 ever came.up.

Maybe at this point you need the big man on campus, but it would be nice if you could get some help from someone with a more reasonable fee structure.

Man, I wish I had solid actionable advice for you, because this sucks.

InterAlia1961

Bronze

Postby InterAlia1961 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:21 pm

FinallyPassedTheBar wrote:
I admire your determination.

What are you planning to do if your bar results expire before passing C&F Are you planning on taking the bar exam again?

Yes. Jose Baez, Casey Anthony's attorney, was denied admission repeatedly on C&F grounds. Took him eight years to get admitted. Had to take the Florida bar twice.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?