California Bar Moral Character Application

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
kiwh

New
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:56 pm

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Postby kiwh » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:02 pm

Hi All,

I was cleared yesterday!

Here is my timeline if it helps anyone:

6/9/18 submitted online
6/13/18 paper application received.
Early September realized I entered wrong place of birth. Required to submit Birth certificate.
October 1 File was complete and sent to investigator. I did not receive any e-mail indicating this. I found out by calling
10/18/18 talked with investigator and was told minimum of 180 days to complete process
11/14/18 updated required information in file and had e-mail correspondence with investigator
12/10/18 which was day 181 left a message asking if there was anything I could provide and asked for a status update
12/12/18 received an e-mail at 9:00 AM stating that I was still in line for review and there were a few applicants in front of me
12/12/18 received an e-mail at 4:00 PM stating I was cleared.
12/13/18 Updated on website

Took 183 days

Thank God this process is over! My application was not issue free by any means. A history of financial problems, items past the SOL, driving on a suspended license for an extended period of time which was reduced to an infraction and another charge that was serious but was dismissed. I disclosed everything. I did not hire a C&F attorney but did consult a law school professor/attorney who gave me gudience. I did submit along with the application a personal statement which addressed the serious issues and what I have done and am doing to correct them.

Its a been a long road! My thoughts are with everyone still waiting!

placidstate

New
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:36 pm

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Postby placidstate » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:39 pm

Does anyone know what the process would be like if you had a summer internship at a foreign country (think of more like south east asian area) in early 2012? Do they call the our-of-state employer? What if they cant reach the employer? A bit worried because I tried contacting the person i interned for and no response.

InterAlia1961

Bronze
Posts: 286
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:32 pm

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Postby InterAlia1961 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:07 pm

placidstate wrote:Does anyone know what the process would be like if you had a summer internship at a foreign country (think of more like south east asian area) in early 2012? Do they call the our-of-state employer? What if they cant reach the employer? A bit worried because I tried contacting the person i interned for and no response.


They contact your recent employers, even the out-of-state and foreign employers. If the employer is unreachable, you better have a reason for it. Even if the person who hired or supervised you is no longer with the company, as long as the company can verify that you worked there, no problem. Otherwise, be prepared to explain why they employer is unreachable. As long as you have a 1099 or w-2 for the period you worked, you should be fine.

horseshoe1

New
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:37 pm

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Postby horseshoe1 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:55 pm

This may be an obvious question but I am wondering if the 90/ 180 day timeline begins from the time you submit your application or from the time you receive the notice that initial processing is complete? I submitted my paper application September 5, 2018, received a letter around November 20 that I didn't write my hair color on the livescan form :oops: :( and that my application wouldn't be considered complete until I corrected this, then received the email on Nov. 30 that initial processing was complete and not to contact the office until approximately 90-days from the date I submitted the completed application. So- does the 90-day clock start late Nov. when I sent the complete livescan form or Sept. 5?

horseshoe1

New
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:37 pm

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Postby horseshoe1 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:55 am

horseshoe1 wrote:This may be an obvious question but I am wondering if the 90/ 180 day timeline begins from the time you submit your application or from the time you receive the notice that initial processing is complete? I submitted my paper application September 5, 2018, received a letter around November 20 that I didn't write my hair color on the livescan form :oops: :( and that my application wouldn't be considered complete until I corrected this, then received the email on Nov. 30 that initial processing was complete and not to contact the office until approximately 90-days from the date I submitted the completed application. So- does the 90-day clock start late Nov. when I sent the complete livescan form or Sept. 5?



Called and was told that the clock started on nov 23 after my livescan form was complete. :(

placidstate

New
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:36 pm

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Postby placidstate » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:11 pm

I dont know if this is the right place to ask, but who can you list as reference for the moral character application? Will my application go through the delayed pile if I list a two non-attorneys? What about law school classmates. Thanks a lot!

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze
Posts: 486
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:27 am

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Postby FinallyPassedTheBar » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:15 pm

placidstate wrote:I dont know if this is the right place to ask, but who can you list as reference for the moral character application? Will my application go through the delayed pile if I list a two non-attorneys? What about law school classmates. Thanks a lot!



Five references
Two must be attorneys
Only one can be a former professor of yours.

On my app I listed 2 attorneys (former classmates), 1 physician, 1 contractor, and 1 performance artist. App approved at around 7 months.

BrainToast

New
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:04 am

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Postby BrainToast » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:21 am

I was recently cleared. It feels so awesome. But I'm so scarred I am now paranoid I could get a letter any day asking for more information. haha Getting that bar number was special.

I had an informal conference that went quickly. It was about 10 minutes. It is an intense process. They asked only about what was stated in the letter. I thought I had a 50/50 chance of getting in.

To those with issues and waiting, you have to be patient. Good luck.

InterAlia1961

Bronze
Posts: 286
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:32 pm

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Postby InterAlia1961 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:22 am

BrainToast wrote:I was recently cleared. It feels so awesome. But I'm so scarred I am now paranoid I could get a letter any day asking for more information. haha Getting that bar number was special.

I had an informal conference that went quickly. It was about 10 minutes. It is an intense process. They asked only about what was stated in the letter. I thought I had a 50/50 chance of getting in.

To those with issues and waiting, you have to be patient. Good luck.


Did you get invited to LA or SF? I'm asking because someone on another board stated that if you get invited to SF, they're leaning towards no. I went to SF.

bacillusanthracis

Bronze
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:30 am

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Postby bacillusanthracis » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:31 am

InterAlia1961 wrote:
BrainToast wrote:I was recently cleared. It feels so awesome. But I'm so scarred I am now paranoid I could get a letter any day asking for more information. haha Getting that bar number was special.

I had an informal conference that went quickly. It was about 10 minutes. It is an intense process. They asked only about what was stated in the letter. I thought I had a 50/50 chance of getting in.

To those with issues and waiting, you have to be patient. Good luck.


Did you get invited to LA or SF? I'm asking because someone on another board stated that if you get invited to SF, they're leaning towards no. I went to SF.


That doesn't make any sense. Why would the physical location matter? After taking the bar, I moved from SoCal to the central coast, so I'm a little closer to SF, so I would expect that out of simple courtesy, they'd invite me to come to SF due to geography. OTOH, simple courtesy from those people doesn't seem to be a thing. Still though, putting a "No" group in one location and not another doesn't make sense.

bacillusanthracis

Bronze
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:30 am

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Postby bacillusanthracis » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:32 am

BrainToast wrote:I was recently cleared. It feels so awesome. But I'm so scarred I am now paranoid I could get a letter any day asking for more information. haha Getting that bar number was special.

I had an informal conference that went quickly. It was about 10 minutes. It is an intense process. They asked only about what was stated in the letter. I thought I had a 50/50 chance of getting in.

To those with issues and waiting, you have to be patient. Good luck.


How long after the conference did it take to find out?

User avatar
rcharter1978

Gold
Posts: 4501
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:49 pm

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Postby rcharter1978 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:46 pm

bacillusanthracis wrote:
InterAlia1961 wrote:
BrainToast wrote:I was recently cleared. It feels so awesome. But I'm so scarred I am now paranoid I could get a letter any day asking for more information. haha Getting that bar number was special.

I had an informal conference that went quickly. It was about 10 minutes. It is an intense process. They asked only about what was stated in the letter. I thought I had a 50/50 chance of getting in.

To those with issues and waiting, you have to be patient. Good luck.


Did you get invited to LA or SF? I'm asking because someone on another board stated that if you get invited to SF, they're leaning towards no. I went to SF.


That doesn't make any sense. Why would the physical location matter? After taking the bar, I moved from SoCal to the central coast, so I'm a little closer to SF, so I would expect that out of simple courtesy, they'd invite me to come to SF due to geography. OTOH, simple courtesy from those people doesn't seem to be a thing. Still though, putting a "No" group in one location and not another doesn't make sense.


I suppose this is possible if they have the more hardass people in SF? Or maybe if you appeal a denial the process takes place in SF so they are more likely to send you there initially for a denial?

kiwh

New
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:56 pm

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Postby kiwh » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:00 pm

My file was at the LA office until October 1. Then was transferred to San Francisco. I cleared without an interview. I live in Northern California so figured that is why it got transferred to the SF office.

BrainToast

New
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:04 am

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Postby BrainToast » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:20 am

bacillusanthracis wrote:
BrainToast wrote:I was recently cleared. It feels so awesome. But I'm so scarred I am now paranoid I could get a letter any day asking for more information. haha Getting that bar number was special.

I had an informal conference that went quickly. It was about 10 minutes. It is an intense process. They asked only about what was stated in the letter. I thought I had a 50/50 chance of getting in.

To those with issues and waiting, you have to be patient. Good luck.


How long after the conference did it take to find out?


It was about three weeks, which felt like 3 months.

Thinking back, I think I really nailed the conference. It is the only time they get to meet you, so you have to own it. I did not have a lawyer advise me nor did I have one present. I probably should have at least spoken to one before the conference.

I was nervous (which they understand) and gave short, one sentence or one word answers. Where appropriate, I gave a short and concise narrative. In explaining one incident, I actually made everyone laugh. I just shook my head and said yeah that was embarrassing.

BrainToast

New
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:04 am

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Postby BrainToast » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:22 am

bacillusanthracis wrote:
InterAlia1961 wrote:
BrainToast wrote:I was recently cleared. It feels so awesome. But I'm so scarred I am now paranoid I could get a letter any day asking for more information. haha Getting that bar number was special.

I had an informal conference that went quickly. It was about 10 minutes. It is an intense process. They asked only about what was stated in the letter. I thought I had a 50/50 chance of getting in.

To those with issues and waiting, you have to be patient. Good luck.


Did you get invited to LA or SF? I'm asking because someone on another board stated that if you get invited to SF, they're leaning towards no. I went to SF.


That doesn't make any sense. Why would the physical location matter? After taking the bar, I moved from SoCal to the central coast, so I'm a little closer to SF, so I would expect that out of simple courtesy, they'd invite me to come to SF due to geography. OTOH, simple courtesy from those people doesn't seem to be a thing. Still though, putting a "No" group in one location and not another doesn't make sense.


I agree. I doubt it matters and just depends on where you live. They wouldn't make someone from SF go to LA because they are likely to clear. Not sure though.

bacillusanthracis

Bronze
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:30 am

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Postby bacillusanthracis » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:06 am

BrainToast wrote:
bacillusanthracis wrote:
BrainToast wrote:I was recently cleared. It feels so awesome. But I'm so scarred I am now paranoid I could get a letter any day asking for more information. haha Getting that bar number was special.

I had an informal conference that went quickly. It was about 10 minutes. It is an intense process. They asked only about what was stated in the letter. I thought I had a 50/50 chance of getting in.

To those with issues and waiting, you have to be patient. Good luck.


How long after the conference did it take to find out?


It was about three weeks, which felt like 3 months.

Thinking back, I think I really nailed the conference. It is the only time they get to meet you, so you have to own it. I did not have a lawyer advise me nor did I have one present. I probably should have at least spoken to one before the conference.

I was nervous (which they understand) and gave short, one sentence or one word answers. Where appropriate, I gave a short and concise narrative. In explaining one incident, I actually made everyone laugh. I just shook my head and said yeah that was embarrassing.


Great. Thanks. I'm good in front of people too, so if I have to go, I'm confident I'll do well. Frankly, after dealing with my analyst, who I'm not a big fan of, I would almost welcome being able to speak for myself. Yeah, I'd rather just be cleared and get on with my life, but if I have to appear, that's okay too.

InterAlia1961

Bronze
Posts: 286
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:32 pm

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Postby InterAlia1961 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:28 am

I've done a little more digging on the LA vs. SF location for the informal conference. From what I can tell, there does seem to be a difference. First, if your application is flagged, it will be referred to SF. Period.

Once there, the committee will decide if there will be an informal conference. If the conference is in SF, it's because the head of moral character determinations will be there. He's based in SF, and based on the archived video from public meetings of the State Bar committees, he doesn't travel to LA. They come to him. If you're summoned to SF, they're likely leaning toward no. It has no bearing on where you live. I'm much, much closer to LA than SF. I was summoned to SF. I was denied admission.

If you're summoned to SF, there will be more than three people in the room with you. It seems that some people reported attending the informal conference in LA with only three committee members. I can't find anyone who claims there were only three in SF, and I'm actively looking for those people.

Someone here said they had a ten minute informal conference. I'll bet the family fortune that the informal conference took place in LA.

As for how long it takes to learn your fate, I've seen some people who were told at the informal conference that they wouldn't be admitted unless they entered into an abeyance agreement. Others report being admitted or denied in less than 30 days after the informal conference.

bacillusanthracis

Bronze
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:30 am

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Postby bacillusanthracis » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:49 am

InterAlia1961 wrote:I've done a little more digging on the LA vs. SF location for the informal conference. From what I can tell, there does seem to be a difference. First, if your application is flagged, it will be referred to SF. Period.

Once there, the committee will decide if there will be an informal conference. If the conference is in SF, it's because the head of moral character determinations will be there. He's based in SF, and based on the archived video from public meetings of the State Bar committees, he doesn't travel to LA. They come to him. If you're summoned to SF, they're likely leaning toward no. It has no bearing on where you live. I'm much, much closer to LA than SF. I was summoned to SF. I was denied admission.

If you're summoned to SF, there will be more than three people in the room with you. It seems that some people reported attending the informal conference in LA with only three committee members. I can't find anyone who claims there were only three in SF, and I'm actively looking for those people.

Someone here said they had a ten minute informal conference. I'll bet the family fortune that the informal conference took place in LA.

As for how long it takes to learn your fate, I've seen some people who were told at the informal conference that they wouldn't be admitted unless they entered into an abeyance agreement. Others report being admitted or denied in less than 30 days after the informal conference.


Okay. That makes sense.

All I know is that this is killing me. If I would've known it was going to be like this, I would've never bothered going to law school.

JakeTappers

Bronze
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:38 pm

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Postby JakeTappers » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:02 am

InterAlia1961 wrote:I've done a little more digging on the LA vs. SF location for the informal conference. From what I can tell, there does seem to be a difference. First, if your application is flagged, it will be referred to SF. Period.

Once there, the committee will decide if there will be an informal conference. If the conference is in SF, it's because the head of moral character determinations will be there. He's based in SF, and based on the archived video from public meetings of the State Bar committees, he doesn't travel to LA. They come to him. If you're summoned to SF, they're likely leaning toward no. It has no bearing on where you live. I'm much, much closer to LA than SF. I was summoned to SF. I was denied admission.

If you're summoned to SF, there will be more than three people in the room with you. It seems that some people reported attending the informal conference in LA with only three committee members. I can't find anyone who claims there were only three in SF, and I'm actively looking for those people.

Someone here said they had a ten minute informal conference. I'll bet the family fortune that the informal conference took place in LA.

As for how long it takes to learn your fate, I've seen some people who were told at the informal conference that they wouldn't be admitted unless they entered into an abeyance agreement. Others report being admitted or denied in less than 30 days after the informal conference.


Just reading through, I’m shocked (and sad for you) that you were denied again. 15 years later. Making me a bit nervous for mine. I know you don’t want to go into details but what were the nature of the issue? (Idk what DO stands for). Hoping you can successfully appeal.

InterAlia1961

Bronze
Posts: 286
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:32 pm

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Postby InterAlia1961 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:31 am

JakeTappers wrote:
Just reading through, I’m shocked (and sad for you) that you were denied again. 15 years later. Making me a bit nervous for mine. I know you don’t want to go into details but what were the nature of the issue? (Idk what DO stands for). Hoping you can successfully appeal.


DO stands for disorderly conduct. It involved two incidents with two separate family members, one in 1994 and the other in 2004. No one was hurt. One was yelling at a police officer and another involved lying to a police officer about the whereabouts of my teenage son who was a suspect in a string of burglaries. The lying incident also involved me shouting at the officer in front of the courthouse, while there was some sort of meeting going on. The Mayor and everyone heard it. I wasn't arrested, though, either time. Nothing else. No substance abuse. No other arrests. No financial issues. However, there were witness statements that said I was aggressive, even though the police reports didn't say that. No matter. The committee focused on the witness statements.

The committee was also focused on my mental health because I was the victim of a vicious crime at a young age. They are concerned that I didn't seek counseling after the family-related incidents and that because of my childhood history, I'm too mentally damaged to practice law. Even though, again, no substance abuse issues, ever. No reports of any issues with co-workers, classmates, or community members. I'm concerned that the committee has this much power. If they could point to a recent incident where my behavior caused alarm, I'd at least understand, but there's literally nothing. My references are impeccable. All of them. Not one employer gave me a bad reference. All of them let me know that the Bar had contacted them.

If you have ever had any contact with law enforcement, get the police reports and witness statements and read through them closely. Be prepared to defend yourself against any charges that were dropped as well. If you even think there's a problem, talk to an attorney who handles these sorts of things...in San Francisco. I hired SF counsel who is a former member of the subcommittee. I'll know this week what her response to the Bar is. She is sending a Request for Reconsideration. I'm told not to expect anything.

Lesson: If you're a victim of a crime that would leave a reasonable person traumatized, don't disclose it, even if you seek counseling for it.They knew about my history because I wrote a book about it. They found it when they Googled my name or checked my LinkedIn profile. They did both, by the way. I have my Google account set up to notify me any time anyone searches for me, and I check my LinkedIn profile to see who checked me out. It actually said it was someone who worked for the State Bar of California checked my profile.

Good luck people. Especially to those of you who had to claw and fight your way to get where you are. You made amends for your mistakes. You tried to become a better person. You contributed to society. You survived law school and passed the bar exam. You've been crisis-free and content for years. You deserve to be barred. No one should have to pay for the rest of their lives for mistakes that didn't harm anyone but themselves. This is crazy.

BrainToast

New
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:04 am

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Postby BrainToast » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:00 pm

InterAlia1961 wrote:I've done a little more digging on the LA vs. SF location for the informal conference. From what I can tell, there does seem to be a difference. First, if your application is flagged, it will be referred to SF. Period.

Once there, the committee will decide if there will be an informal conference. If the conference is in SF, it's because the head of moral character determinations will be there. He's based in SF, and based on the archived video from public meetings of the State Bar committees, he doesn't travel to LA. They come to him. If you're summoned to SF, they're likely leaning toward no. It has no bearing on where you live. I'm much, much closer to LA than SF. I was summoned to SF. I was denied admission.

If you're summoned to SF, there will be more than three people in the room with you. It seems that some people reported attending the informal conference in LA with only three committee members. I can't find anyone who claims there were only three in SF, and I'm actively looking for those people.

Someone here said they had a ten minute informal conference. I'll bet the family fortune that the informal conference took place in LA.

As for how long it takes to learn your fate, I've seen some people who were told at the informal conference that they wouldn't be admitted unless they entered into an abeyance agreement. Others report being admitted or denied in less than 30 days after the informal conference.


There are some inaccuracies here. The head of the committee does travel to LA. As for why they summoned you to SF even though you are near LA, it may have been the next available round of conferences. If I recall (Correct me if I am wrong), the invitation gives you the option of choosing the next available round whether in LA or SF.

As for the number of committee members, LA can indeed have 4 questioners.

Mine was short and in LA. But I went an hour early and an applicant went in and it took over 45 minutes. His friend was there for support and after 30 min we were tripping about how long it was taking.

I truly don't think the conference location matters, and to be honest, you are probably unnecessarily freaking a lot of people out with that claim. Unless you have some kind of solid evidence, its all speculation and conjecture.

InterAlia1961

Bronze
Posts: 286
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:32 pm

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Postby InterAlia1961 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:08 am

BrainToast wrote:
There are some inaccuracies here. The head of the committee does travel to LA. As for why they summoned you to SF even though you are near LA, it may have been the next available round of conferences. If I recall (Correct me if I am wrong), the invitation gives you the option of choosing the next available round whether in LA or SF.

As for the number of committee members, LA can indeed have 4 questioners.

Mine was short and in LA. But I went an hour early and an applicant went in and it took over 45 minutes. His friend was there for support and after 30 min we were tripping about how long it was taking.

I truly don't think the conference location matters, and to be honest, you are probably unnecessarily freaking a lot of people out with that claim. Unless you have some kind of solid evidence, its all speculation and conjecture.


To be clear, I never stated that the information was accurate. I'm trying to determine whether it has a bearing, and clearly some of it is accurate. You went to LA. You were cleared. I haven't found anyone who went to SF and was cleared. MTG does not travel to LA for moral character informal conferences. Check your facts. I've watched 25 hours of archived video from public bar meetings, read the minutes as well. I'm not prone to making unfounded observations. You stated that your conference was 10 minutes and the person before yours was 45. I've never had anyone who went to SF say it was under an hour. I've heard from a half dozen so far. None were admitted. I strongly suspect there is a two-tiered process here.

If you're facing moral character hurdles and even think you might be invited for an informal conference, be prepared for a tough interview if you're headed to SF. If you have evidence to the contrary, please message me with details. I will keep anything you tell me confidential. I won't reveal any identifying information in anything I write. I'm compiling as much information on this process in order to make it available to the public. Transparency is a good thing.

To the person who messaged me about the extended wait. I can't return your message. I get a message that says you don't have that feature enabled. You are the first person who has ever told me that they didn't have a decision two months after the informal conference. I understand you are checking your status daily online and there's no change. From what I've been able to learn, they can clear you or deny you, or option number three...send your file back to the investigators for more scrutiny so they can strengthen their basis for denial. The fact that it's taking so long might not be a good sign. You might want to call a licensed attorney, or at the very least call your analyst and inquire.

Again, if you've got a moral character issue, you should contact an attorney in SF who deals with this. There are more than a few former subcommittee members who have gone into private practice representing those with moral character issues. There's not a lot of information about the process available to the public.

If you have moral character issues, be honest with yourself about how severe they are. Be proactive. Hire a licensed attorney if you can.

User avatar
rcharter1978

Gold
Posts: 4501
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:49 pm

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Postby rcharter1978 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:53 pm

I totally agree about hiring an attorney. I'm convinced it's the reason why I never had to actually attend an informal hearing.

We expend blood, sweat and tears to get through law school and pass the bar so it sucks that our progress would be held up by the moral character application.

I paid a retainer of like 2k, the attorney helped me write my response to the written questions the bar gave me, I sent it in and was cleared like a few days later. we

I remember getting money back, but even if it had cost 2k to get everything cleared up it would have been worth it.

I specifically remember the attorney telling me that in the unlikely event that I had to attend an informal hearing the price would go up, so I'm glad I got an attorney as soon as I had an idea that there was an issue.

InterAlia1961

Bronze
Posts: 286
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:32 pm

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Postby InterAlia1961 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:30 am

I just wanted to update those of you who are following this thread. The Committee declined to reconsider their decision. I will be appealing to the State Bar Court. However, I'll be on my own. The attorney I hired to write the reconsideration letter charged me $750 just to write it. I could've done it myself. To proceed to State Bar Court, she wants $15,000. Apparently, that's on the low end for a SF attorney, but even that is out of my reach. I'm still paying my share of the heart valve surgery.

I'll update here when I can. The first step is filing a Application for Review with the State Bar Court. I'm pretty sure I can manage that part. If anyone has any insights, observations, or experiences to share, please message me.

Again, if you can afford it, hire an attorney up front to deal with any serious C&F issues. I may not be in the situation if I'd taken that advice.

User avatar
rcharter1978

Gold
Posts: 4501
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:49 pm

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Postby rcharter1978 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:18 pm

InterAlia1961 wrote:I just wanted to update those of you who are following this thread. The Committee declined to reconsider their decision. I will be appealing to the State Bar Court. However, I'll be on my own. The attorney I hired to write the reconsideration letter charged me $750 just to write it. I could've done it myself. To proceed to State Bar Court, she wants $15,000. Apparently, that's on the low end for a SF attorney, but even that is out of my reach. I'm still paying my share of the heart valve surgery.

I'll update here when I can. The first step is filing a Application for Review with the State Bar Court. I'm pretty sure I can manage that part. If anyone has any insights, observations, or experiences to share, please message me.

Again, if you can afford it, hire an attorney up front to deal with any serious C&F issues. I may not be in the situation if I'd taken that advice.


Geez :(

Good luck. I really hope this happens for you.

I can't believe this all costs so much.

I don't know your living situation, but would it be possible to get barred in another state? I know California doesn't really have any reciprocity, but is it possible to take the bar again in an easier state, get barred there and do Federal work?

I suspect the same flags would come up, but California probably has an incentive to keep people out of the profession so the issues that prevent you from getting barred here may not be as big a deal in a state with fewer attorneys.

I just feel like it totally sucks that you may have to wait like 2 years or whatever to reapply when you've been waiting so long.

Can't you get barred in DC with a reasonable MBE score?



Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests