How representative are the released NCBE OPE exams to actual MBE question? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
lawschool111

New

How representative are the released NCBE OPE exams to actual MBE question?

Post by lawschool111 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:58 pm

For those who have taken NCBE's released OPE 1,2,3 and/or 4 how accurate or representative would you say the OPE was of the actual MBE?

I have heard some previous bar exam takers say that they found the OPEs to be very accurate, much more so than Barbri and Kaplan MBE questions.

I went through OPE exams 1,2,3 and 4 with relative ease, which makes me think that these questions are easier than the current MBE questions.

cnk1220

Silver

Re: How representative are the released NCBE OPE exams to actual MBE question?

Post by cnk1220 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:43 pm

lawschool111 wrote:For those who have taken NCBE's released OPE 1,2,3 and/or 4 how accurate or representative would you say the OPE was of the actual MBE?

I have heard some previous bar exam takers say that they found the OPEs to be very accurate, much more so than Barbri and Kaplan MBE questions.

I went through OPE exams 1,2,3 and 4 with relative ease, which makes me think that these questions are easier than the current MBE questions.

They are relatively easier than the real MBE, that's why they are released Qs. You should not solely rely on them for mbe practice or you will be underprepared for the difficulty of the mbe, I got somewhere in the 80s-90s/100 correct on the OPE. On the real mbe, I found the answer to be more obscure or the Q takes a turn different than what you were expecting and the call of the Q asks you about something else. I can speak to barbri's difficulty as being a little more difficult than the real MBE, but the format of the OPEs are more similar to the real mbe. On the real mbe, the Qs are usually shorter than barbri's (except with property- those are equally as long), but on the real mbe- it's much shorter and to the point- where you either know it or you don't. Bottom line- the prep companies have adapted their Qs to the difficulty level and the OPEs are the released Qs which have been discarded and are easier than the real mbe, which is why you shouldn't just use those.

j_syrinate

New

Post by j_syrinate » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:43 pm

cnk1220 wrote:
lawschool111 wrote:For those who have taken NCBE's released OPE 1,2,3 and/or 4 how accurate or representative would you say the OPE was of the actual MBE?

They are relatively easier than the real MBE, that's why they are released Qs. You should not solely rely on them for mbe practice or you will be underprepared for the difficulty of the mbe, I got somewhere in the 80s-90s/100 correct on the OPE. On the real mbe, I found the answer to be more obscure or the Q takes a turn different than what you were expecting and the call of the Q asks you about something else. I can speak to barbri's difficulty as being a little more difficult than the real MBE, but the format of the OPEs are more similar to the real mbe. On the real mbe, the Qs are usually shorter than barbri's (except with property- those are equally as long), but on the real mbe- it's much shorter and to the point- where you either know it or you don't. Bottom line- the prep companies have adapted their Qs to the difficulty level and the OPEs are the released Qs which have been discarded and are easier than the real mbe, which is why you shouldn't just use those.

So given what you scored on the OPEs (which seems extremely high), what was your scaled MBE score on the actual exam? I'm trying to gauge the difference between the two since you claim it was too easy and not indicative of the actual MBE section. I've taken the first two OPEs and scored a 64 and 71, respectively. In addition, my overall Adaptibar is a 63.7% with just over 1,100 completed. Also, I started in the low 50s when first starting Adaptibar and my average over the past month I would say is in the mid to high 60s. Thanks!

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:56 pm

j_syrinate wrote:
cnk1220 wrote:

So given what you scored on the OPEs (which seems extremely high), what was your scaled MBE score on the actual exam? I'm trying to gauge the difference between the two since you claim it was too easy and not indicative of the actual MBE section. I've taken the first two OPEs and scored a 64 and 71, respectively. In addition, my overall Adaptibar is a 63.7% with just over 1,100 completed. Also, I started in the low 50s when first starting Adaptibar and my average over the past month I would say is in the mid to high 60s. Thanks!

My scaled mbe on the actual exam was 150.

I got a 133 raw on barbri's simulated exam which put me in the top 78% nationwide.
Your numbers with mid 60s is good! You still have a month left you'll deff. be in the 70% correct range by then- and that's putting you in the passing range.

j_syrinate

New

Post by j_syrinate » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:11 pm

cnk1220 wrote:
j_syrinate wrote:
cnk1220 wrote:

I got a 133 raw on barbri's simulated exam which put me in the top 78% nationwide.
Your numbers with mid 60s is good! You still have a month left you'll deff. be in the 70% correct range by then- and that's putting you in the passing range.
Thanks, you crushed the MBE! I'm shooting for around the 70s by mid-July.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:37 pm

j_syrinate wrote:
cnk1220 wrote:
j_syrinate wrote:
cnk1220 wrote:

Thanks, you crushed the MBE! I'm shooting for around the 70s by mid-July.
Thank you! You will do great I'm sure. Good luck!

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:21 pm

There is a mix of difficulty levels within the 4 exams. I'd agree with many of the sentiments here that overall there are more easy(ish) questions than you'll see on the MBE. But even on the MBE there is a mix of difficulty; it just seems as though there are fewer easy questions on the actual exam.

Without a doubt these questions should be incorporated into your study plan. I'm a fan of companies like Barbri and Kaplan, but I don't think they get it exactly right when trying to mimic the MBE; the released questions are best.

Sean (Silverman Bar Exam Tutoring)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”