What percentage of questions right on the MBE would be a "safe territory"

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
ConfusedL1

Bronze

What percentage of questions right on the MBE would be a "safe territory"

Postby ConfusedL1 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:27 pm

I know it's always scaled, but I wonder if anyone came across a number that would more or less be a target. Like, is 70% very likely going to be enough as a raw percentage? I'm trying to figure out what to shoot for.

cnk1220

Silver

Re: What percentage of questions right on the MBE would be a "safe territory"

Postby cnk1220 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:13 pm

ConfusedL1 wrote:I know it's always scaled, but I wonder if anyone came across a number that would more or less be a target. Like, is 70% very likely going to be enough as a raw percentage? I'm trying to figure out what to shoot for.

70% raw should put you in the passing range. I think the number I heard was 65%. But don't worry about numbers and percentages because scaling, 25 experimental, and sometimes Qs that get doubled keyed and thrown out will change all that! Just focus on learning the BLL and taking the time to learn the reasoning behind the correct answer for every Q whether you got it wrong or right, good luck!

JDAdvisingLLC

New

Postby JDAdvisingLLC » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:40 pm

If you get 65% right, that is passing! Even 60% is would generally lead to a score of around 135 or so. We have had students consistently between 55% and 65% pass!

If you are using Barbri questions, they are harder than the real ones for the most part, so if you are scoring lower, you still may be in the passing range!

ndbigdave

Bronze

Postby ndbigdave » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:06 am

ConfusedL1 wrote:I know it's always scaled, but I wonder if anyone came across a number that would more or less be a target. Like, is 70% very likely going to be enough as a raw percentage? I'm trying to figure out what to shoot for.

The advice provided is in-line with everything I have heard, read and seen.

I have been told the "threshold" is to get into the mid 60%s - obviously higher the better but if you can consistently score 65%+ you should be sleeping comfortably. The key is that you have gotten this average over enough questions and over a depth of questions - which is why I endorse and like the Adaptibar system so much. I can tell you my exact % right for each topic and subtopic, I can also play with the date ranges to know if I am improving or not over time. For instance, I ripped through my first 350 questions in 7 days to form my "baseline score" for my overall % but also my topic/sub-topic %. My overall % was 60% (with a high in one subject of 68% and a low of 48% - damn you Civ Pro!) for my second set of 350 my overall hit rate is now up to 65% (with certain topics now into the 70%s and my low in the 50%s - Again damn Civ Pro)

As we are still more than a month away and I have about 1000 questions left I feel uber confident that I can continue to learn from doing the questions, reviewing the explanations and then diving into outlines, lectures with a focus on my weaknesses.

Not sure this will help you feel more confident or not, but when I passed in Michigan I used BarMax (another program I highly recommend) and I was scoring in the mid 60%s (though I only did about 300 questions) and I ended up with a 141 scaled in July 2015. I feel confident that my real score was likely in the low 60%s (if I had done more questions) - so feel comfortable that you can score a passing number without having to "crush" the test by scoring in the mid 70%s or higher!

Kalani111

New

Postby Kalani111 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:37 am

70% correct produces a solid scaled MBE score. Remember, that some big gains may occur after your mock tests during the last three weeks--so do not despair.

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Postby SilvermanBarPrep » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:24 pm

70% is an excellent goal. One added difficulty is that 25 of the questions will not count towards your raw score. You really want to get a raw score that will allow you to scale up to about 140. And because only 175 questions count, somewhere between 70%-75% of those 175 questions will get you to a raw score to scale you up to that very important scaled score.

Sean (Silverman Bar Prep)

Love With The Coco

New

Postby Love With The Coco » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:38 pm

This thread is what you are looking for.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=210339

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�