NY Bar - J.D. in 5 Years Requirement Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
ambience

New

NY Bar - J.D. in 5 Years Requirement

Post by ambience » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:49 pm

I took some time off from law school, so I will end up receiving my J.D. six years after first enrolling. Alas, to qualify for the NY Bar, you must have received your J.D. within five years.

I would very much like to take the NY bar. I lived and worked in NYC for years and it is where I want to practice. Are there workarounds for this 5-year requirement? Does the Bar Association provide an avenue for petitioning or appealing admission to contest this particular requirement?

Anyone have experience with this? Or experience petitioning the NY Bar for eligibility on some other grounds?

Night_L

New

Re: NY Bar - J.D. in 5 Years Requirement

Post by Night_L » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:08 pm

Holy crap I had no idea that was a factor. Law school lasted 5 years for me (evening, with a year off in the middle). That whole time somehow I never heard of this requirement.

ambience

New

Post by ambience » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:36 pm

Night_L wrote:Holy crap I had no idea that was a factor. Law school lasted 5 years for me (evening, with a year off in the middle). That whole time somehow I never heard of this requirement.
I think it's more stringent in NY than other states. The federal ABA requirement stipulates finishing within 7 years.

But yeah, I wish I had know about this before, it definitely would have impacted how much time I took off.

Also BUMP -- still seeking advice if anyone has experience with this!

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:30 pm

ambience wrote:
Night_L wrote:Holy crap I had no idea that was a factor. Law school lasted 5 years for me (evening, with a year off in the middle). That whole time somehow I never heard of this requirement.
I think it's more stringent in NY than other states. The federal ABA requirement stipulates finishing within 7 years.

But yeah, I wish I had know about this before, it definitely would have impacted how much time I took off.

Also BUMP -- still seeking advice if anyone has experience with this!
In my experience, the folks at the Third Department are very nice on the phone. I would call the Admissions Department there and ask about a waiver, or if there's a workaround. You cannot be the only person this has ever happened to. They may say no dice. They may say, here's theoretically how you would appeal this. They are the authority...call them. Again, if you are succinct and respectful, I've found them very kind and helpful for all bar questions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”