Postby barexam2017 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:31 pm

How am I a troll?

runthetrap1990

Re: July 2017 -- Barbri UBE Hangout

Postby runthetrap1990 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:33 pm

cricketlove00 wrote:
WestWingWatcher wrote:
esrom55 wrote:
cricketlove00 wrote:The MBE refresher was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life and I just want to jump off my balcony.

I honestly was just coming to ask if anyone else had done this or not. That felt twice as hard as the simulated exam, even though it was only half as long.

Wow, I really thought the refresher would be the beginning of them building is back up before the exam.... they're gonna do that... right...

I feel personally victimized by Barbri. The goal was 56 I guess. I did a bit better at 60 but I feel garbage about it

Not looking forward to taking this tomorrow :(

cricketlove00

Postby cricketlove00 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:38 pm

TheWalrus wrote:
cricketlove00 wrote:
barexam2017 wrote:I found the refresher terribly difficult. I guessed many. Ended up getting 80/100. Have gone down though since the MBE Simulation. Ugh.

I'm pretty sure 80 is in the top ten percent so...

Dude is a troll.

How in the world does answering one question different on the stand make you a hostile witness?

That's one I actually got right. I think it is because she was called as a hostile witness because she had bias before even answering any questions.

Kill me over the nonsectarian prayer question though. What bullshit.

TheWalrus

Postby TheWalrus » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:39 pm

cricketlove00 wrote:
TheWalrus wrote:
cricketlove00 wrote:
barexam2017 wrote:I found the refresher terribly difficult. I guessed many. Ended up getting 80/100. Have gone down though since the MBE Simulation. Ugh.

Dude is a troll.

How in the world does answering one question different on the stand make you a hostile witness?

That's one I actually got right. I think it is because she was called as a hostile witness because she had bias before even answering any questions.

Ah, that makes more sense. And I'm not sure which one that is, lol.

cricketlove00

Postby cricketlove00 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:50 pm

TheWalrus wrote:
cricketlove00 wrote:
TheWalrus wrote:
cricketlove00 wrote:

Dude is a troll.

The government can have prayers before mayoral meetings or something because typically they do that? Idk I raged.

cricketlove00

Postby cricketlove00 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:58 pm

barexam2017 wrote:How am I a troll?

Also because you're complaining about getting an 80 when 56 was the goal.

barexam2017

Postby barexam2017 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:48 pm

cricketlove00 wrote:

I know, but for example my friends at Yale are getting 90+/100 so just feeling stupid. My school (Thomas M Cooley) never taught me most of this crap.

DR3

Postby DR3 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:53 pm

Hey all. Any one know how different the MBE is/score conversions are since around '98? I took some of the MBEs NCBE offers online for free and am just wondering how much those scores carry over for July (I know the number of Qs have changed and civ pro is now tested).

acijku2

Postby acijku2 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:30 am

cricketlove00 wrote:
TheWalrus wrote:
cricketlove00 wrote:
TheWalrus wrote:
cricketlove00 wrote:

Dude is a troll.

The government can have prayers before mayoral meetings or something because typically they do that? Idk I raged.

You guys didn't know about the long history of prayer at legislative sessions exception to the establishment clause?? Maybe you should study a little harder...

MrWhitman

Postby MrWhitman » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:52 pm

barexam2017 wrote:
cricketlove00 wrote:

I know, but for example my friends at Yale are getting 90+/100 so just feeling stupid. My school (Thomas M Cooley) never taught me most of this crap.

Wow. That's some innate talent. I know a few people at Yale and their first year didn't exactly prepare them for a black letter law exam. Kudos to those gifted few!

I'll just have to be content with my middling score. Good luck to all!

WestWingWatcher

Postby WestWingWatcher » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:16 pm

runthetrap1990 wrote:
cricketlove00 wrote:
WestWingWatcher wrote:
esrom55 wrote:
cricketlove00 wrote:The MBE refresher was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life and I just want to jump off my balcony.

I honestly was just coming to ask if anyone else had done this or not. That felt twice as hard as the simulated exam, even though it was only half as long.

Wow, I really thought the refresher would be the beginning of them building is back up before the exam.... they're gonna do that... right...

I feel personally victimized by Barbri. The goal was 56 I guess. I did a bit better at 60 but I feel garbage about it

So I took it this morning, steeling myself to be wrecked because of your guys' comments. I started the first half, thought everything was going okay, and began feeling optimistic. Big mistake. Of the questions I got wrong, a third were in the last 25 questions.

But, on the plus side, I did improve by 3% accuracy since the midterm, which is reassurance I really needed given the abysmal state of my recent MPQ Set scores.

cricketlove00

Postby cricketlove00 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:27 pm

acijku2 wrote:
cricketlove00 wrote:
TheWalrus wrote:
cricketlove00 wrote:
TheWalrus wrote:
cricketlove00 wrote:

Dude is a troll.

You guys didn't know about the long history of prayer at legislative sessions exception to the establishment clause?? Maybe you should study a little harder...

plz kill me. Also is that a band-aid on the lecturer's chest?

Ravenclaw23

Postby Ravenclaw23 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:58 pm

How are you guys maintaining motivation at this point? I've been going full speed ahead since late May and now I feel like I'm running out of steam. I'm really struggling to stay focused during full days of studying. I feel pretty good about the MBE, but I don't want to start coasting. Any suggestions on how to power through?

runthetrap1990

Postby runthetrap1990 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:17 pm

WestWingWatcher wrote:
runthetrap1990 wrote:
cricketlove00 wrote:
WestWingWatcher wrote:
esrom55 wrote:

So I took it this morning, steeling myself to be wrecked because of your guys' comments. I started the first half, thought everything was going okay, and began feeling optimistic. Big mistake. Of the questions I got wrong, a third were in the last 25 questions.

But, on the plus side, I did improve by 3% accuracy since the midterm, which is reassurance I really needed given the abysmal state of my recent MPQ Set scores.

Yeah I found that the wheels really came off the wagon going into questions 75 through 100. I thought a lot of the questions at that point really started ramping up in difficulty (on what was already a decently difficult set of questions).

e: could also be fatigue, though.

2nd e: how worth it is to sit through all those video explanations (vs. reading the answers)
Last edited by runthetrap1990 on Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:18 pm

Ravenclaw23 wrote:How are you guys maintaining motivation at this point? I've been going full speed ahead since late May and now I feel like I'm running out of steam. I'm really struggling to stay focused during full days of studying. I feel pretty good about the MBE, but I don't want to start coasting. Any suggestions on how to power through?

Same problem. My strategy has been to take a lunch break throughout the day, since I feel I am in a ~decent place. And I also switch off more between light/heavy days. Last two or three days I've been drilling MEEs for 10 hours, so today I'm just running through Adaptibar this afternoon (at a slow pace) and may look at some essay answers later. Light days make me work harder the next day without me feeling like I've done nothing.

cricketlove00

Postby cricketlove00 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:45 pm

runthetrap1990 wrote:
WestWingWatcher wrote:
runthetrap1990 wrote:
cricketlove00 wrote:
WestWingWatcher wrote:
esrom55 wrote:

Yeah I found that the wheels really came off the wagon going into questions 75 through 100. I thought a lot of the questions at that point really started ramping up in difficulty (on what was already a decently difficult set of questions).

e: could also be fatigue, though.

2nd e: how worth it is to sit through all those video explanations (vs. reading the answers)

As with everything Barbri, some of it is helpful, some of it is worthless.

Brian_Wildcat

Postby Brian_Wildcat » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:54 pm

How does equitable conversion not effect the right to survivorship in number 11 on the refresher? I figured that after the contract was signed the brother and sister only had an interest in the money and not the land.

cricketlove00

Postby cricketlove00 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:04 pm

Brian_Wildcat wrote:How does equitable conversion not effect the right to survivorship in number 11 on the refresher? I figured that after the contract was signed the brother and sister only had an interest in the money and not the land.

It would, but I don't think that has anything to do with who has interest in the land. When brother died, the entirety of the land goes to sister because of the right of survivorship. Wife gets nothing, so there would be no need for her to be involved at all.

chicago-gunner123

Postby chicago-gunner123 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:29 pm

Am I the only one whose score went down between the simulation and the refresher? That was so hard.

ConfusedL1

Postby ConfusedL1 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:41 pm

Question 35.

Yes, I get that the fed court can hear the FED claim. What the hell happened to the STATE claim? Isn't the court barred from hearing that because it doesn't qualify under supplemental? Or does getting and fed claim automatically allow destroying the diversity required for state law claims?

cricketlove00

Postby cricketlove00 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:45 pm

chicago-gunner123 wrote:

Am I the only one whose score went down between the simulation and the refresher? That was so hard.

Down 6% for me bud :(

cricketlove00

Postby cricketlove00 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:45 pm

ConfusedL1 wrote:Question 35.

Yes, I get that the fed court can hear the FED claim. What the hell happened to the STATE claim? Isn't the court barred from hearing that because it doesn't qualify under supplemental? Or does getting and fed claim automatically allow destroying the diversity required for state law claims?

If you figure out the answer, please let me know. Because I have no idea.

crumb cake

Postby crumb cake » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:49 pm

Question about Q27 on mixed set 3: How is this not blocked by the 11th Amendment? Answer explanation just says that it's a federal Q, but I'm still unclear about when the 11th Amendment would apply since this is a private suit against a state (not an official).

barexam2017

Postby barexam2017 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:03 pm

chicago-gunner123 wrote:

Yea, I went down from 82% in the MBE simulation to 80% in the Refresher.

banned

RDA2930

Postby RDA2930 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:20 pm

crumb cake wrote:Question about Q27 on mixed set 3: How is this not blocked by the 11th Amendment? Answer explanation just says that it's a federal Q, but I'm still unclear about when the 11th Amendment would apply since this is a private suit against a state (not an official).

Had the same question and did some digging. From what I can tell (and I could be wrong, so someone correct me if this is off), the 11th Amendment bars suits based on liability (e.g., can't sue State under a tort theory) but it does not bar declaratory/injunctive relief based on a constitutional challenge to a state's law. (Also, you can sue specific officials as long as you meet the requirements (somewhere in the conlaw outline)).

In other words, you can sue a state as a private citizen (or corporation) if all the standing/ripeness/mootness requirements are met, and if you're suing because the state is infringing some constitutional right.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”