July 2017 -- Barbri UBE Hangout

TheWalrus

Re: July 2017 -- Barbri UBE Hangout

Postby TheWalrus » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:53 am

SowhatsNU wrote:While we're knocking Barbri's questions:

The Evidence Workshop Question 2 and Set 3 Question 15 ARE LITERALLY THE SAME THING, except in the workshop question the cellmate has hepatitis, and in the Set 3 question he has Aids.

Wonder how many of these questions are just recycled...

If we are going to complain about evidence set 3, what in the world does that explanation for #18 mean?

RDA2930

Postby RDA2930 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:03 pm

Is it just me or was Contracts Set 5 just completely nuts? Weird rules/nuances of rules that weren't in the lecture handout or the conviser...trying really hard not to be neurotic but getting pretty worried that i got 7/18 less than two weeks before the test.

ConfusedL1

Postby ConfusedL1 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:18 pm

RDA2930 wrote:Is it just me or was Contracts Set 5 just completely nuts? Weird rules/nuances of rules that weren't in the lecture handout or the conviser...trying really hard not to be neurotic but getting pretty worried that i got 7/18 less than two weeks before the test.

I wouldn't sweat it. There's a reason this set was less than 60% as a target. This ish might as well be AMP material, because the real bar questions are not this poorly written/testing this level of nuance.

----post from before-------

Buyer in an installment contract says "as many x product as the buyer chooses to order" and not "as many x product as the buyer shall require," meaning that that promise was illusory.

While true, this level of detail with vague language is crazy rare on the bar exam.

WestWingWatcher

Postby WestWingWatcher » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:47 pm

TheWalrus wrote:
SowhatsNU wrote:While we're knocking Barbri's questions:

The Evidence Workshop Question 2 and Set 3 Question 15 ARE LITERALLY THE SAME THING, except in the workshop question the cellmate has hepatitis, and in the Set 3 question he has Aids.

Wonder how many of these questions are just recycled...

If we are going to complain about evidence set 3, what in the world does that explanation for #18 mean?

It was just testing us on the fact that federal courts don't recognize physician-patient privilege. So, if a federal court is applying federal laws of privilege, no physician-patient privilege. [But don't let this confuse you, because federal courts DO recognize psychotherapist-patient privilege.]

RDA2930 wrote:Is it just me or was Contracts Set 5 just completely nuts? Weird rules/nuances of rules that weren't in the lecture handout or the conviser...trying really hard not to be neurotic but getting pretty worried that i got 7/18 less than two weeks before the test.

I haven't taken Contract Set 5 yet, but seeing that I have been wrecked by every other Set 5 of questions, I am assuming this is more of the same.

MrWhitman

Postby MrWhitman » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:03 pm

I'm afraid that the nuance is going to make me second guess what would otherwise be an easy output or requirement contract question. I'm trying really hard not to let these obscure exceptions cause an availability bias on the exam where I pick a weird choice because it was the last exception I remember seeing on a barbri set. Hopefully the refreshers on Saturday will bring us out of this morass and into the big picture again.

ConfusedL1

Postby ConfusedL1 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:13 pm

MrWhitman wrote:I'm afraid that the nuance is going to make me second guess what would otherwise be an easy output or requirement contract question. I'm trying really hard not to let these obscure exceptions cause an availability bias on the exam where I pick a weird choice because it was the last exception I remember seeing on a barbri set. Hopefully the refreshers on Saturday will bring us out of this morass and into the big picture again.

That's actually a really good point. Testing nuances that go above and beyond bar questions on TOP of poor language choices is a way psych out applicants who get to the real thing.

FormerChild

Postby FormerChild » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:28 pm

I've significantly slowed on doing Barbri question sets in favor of Adaptibar for this exact reason. Barbri preaches "general knowledge, general knowledge, general knowledge" and then tests you on nuanced, minute material that even if tested will represent 1/200 questions. So dumb.

TheWalrus

Postby TheWalrus » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:36 pm

Evidence spoiler
[+] Spoiler
what exactly doesn't the officer report count for? I thought it was not a business record, but this explanation says otherwise.

runthetrap1990

Postby runthetrap1990 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:15 pm

Ugh I just got pummelled by the contracts essays.

I did #2 and 3 today—came out on the completely opposite conclusion on #2 and just blanked on how to articulate factors in #3. The MBE set went fine but the MEEs keep killing me.

This is rough.

lakers180

Postby lakers180 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:26 pm

TheWalrus wrote:Evidence spoiler
[+] Spoiler
what exactly doesn't the officer report count for? I thought it was not a business record, but this explanation says otherwise.

i think it can be entered as a public record in a civil case

TheWalrus

Postby TheWalrus » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:28 pm

lakers180 wrote:
TheWalrus wrote:Evidence spoiler
[+] Spoiler

i think it can be entered as a public record in a civil case

Nvm, I figured it out. I was confusing things.

Jmari

Postby Jmari » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:52 pm

SowhatsNU wrote:Did anyone take the 50 question MPQ test and get TOTALLY ROCKED? I only got 26/50 right, and I'm wondering I should start looking at different professions...

I was going to ask this exact same question. I can't seem to score above 35. I tried to keep track of the subjects that I do well/poor on, but I can't even do that. Sometimes I get 7/8 on torts and sometimes I get 1/8.

RDA2930

Postby RDA2930 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:00 pm

OK, thoroughly pissed at how terribly worded the Barbri questions are, particularly for Evidence Set 5 (numbers 1 and 5 are particularly egregious, but they're all bad).

I think i'm going to buy some officially licensed questions and forget about Barbri from now til test day. The gotcha questions aren't helping final review.

acijku2

Postby acijku2 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:24 pm

RDA2930 wrote:OK, thoroughly pissed at how terribly worded the Barbri questions are, particularly for Evidence Set 5 (numbers 1 and 5 are particularly egregious, but they're all bad).

I think i'm going to buy some officially licensed questions and forget about Barbri from now til test day. The gotcha questions aren't helping final review.

Totally agree with question 5 making no sense. Spoiler for those who haven't taken it yet...the prosecutor didn't actually ask about the questions or answers of the polygraph test just the fact that she took it. I think it's easy to argue that just taking the test shows an innocent conscience. Wouldn't that be relevant and not have the prejudicial problems addressed in the answer? I understand if the prosecutor asked what the results were then that gets to the problem of confusing the jury but just being asked if she took the exam seems to be a different issue.

MrWhitman

Postby MrWhitman » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:39 pm

acijku2 wrote:
RDA2930 wrote:OK, thoroughly pissed at how terribly worded the Barbri questions are, particularly for Evidence Set 5 (numbers 1 and 5 are particularly egregious, but they're all bad).

Totally agree with question 5 making no sense. Spoiler for those who haven't taken it yet...the prosecutor didn't actually ask about the questions or answers of the polygraph test just the fact that she took it. I think it's easy to argue that just taking the test shows an innocent conscience. Wouldn't that be relevant and not have the prejudicial problems addressed in the answer? I understand if the prosecutor asked what the results were then that gets to the problem of confusing the jury but just being asked if she took the exam seems to be a different issue.

I think the point of this question is to emphasize that anything having to do with a polygraph test is going to be deemed too prejudicial under a 403 balancing. I think barbri could just come right out and say it but they prefer to screw with us.

ConfusedL1

Postby ConfusedL1 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:01 pm

Heads up to folks: i'd start looking at the additional essays for problem MEE topics this week. The schedule they want for next week is insane there are like 12 essays each for each SUBJECT and we're doing two subjects + a question set every day.

tacocohcevoli

Postby tacocohcevoli » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:03 pm

So I just had to get a new laptop for the bar a couple weeks ago (hooray) and now that Examsoft sent out that email telling us how to check to see what OS we have, I see I have Creators and that I can't uninstall. Do I seriously have to get ANOTHER computer, or can I just set SoftTest to compatibility mode with Win8?

ETA: Finally got in touch with ExamSoft; any computers running Creators are now completely banned in NY, even with the compatibility mode workaround. Awesome.

cricketlove00

Postby cricketlove00 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:40 pm

The MBE refresher was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life and I just want to jump off my balcony.

esrom55

Postby esrom55 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:51 pm

cricketlove00 wrote:The MBE refresher was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life and I just want to jump off my balcony.

I honestly was just coming to ask if anyone else had done this or not. That felt twice as hard as the simulated exam, even though it was only half as long.

WestWingWatcher

Postby WestWingWatcher » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:10 pm

esrom55 wrote:
cricketlove00 wrote:The MBE refresher was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life and I just want to jump off my balcony.

I honestly was just coming to ask if anyone else had done this or not. That felt twice as hard as the simulated exam, even though it was only half as long.

Wow, I really thought the refresher would be the beginning of them building is back up before the exam.... they're gonna do that... right...

Londonbear

Postby Londonbear » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:35 pm

tacocohcevoli wrote:So I just had to get a new laptop for the bar a couple weeks ago (hooray) and now that Examsoft sent out that email telling us how to check to see what OS we have, I see I have Creators and that I can't uninstall. Do I seriously have to get ANOTHER computer, or can I just set SoftTest to compatibility mode with Win8?

ETA: Finally got in touch with ExamSoft; any computers running Creators are now completely banned in NY, even with the compatibility mode workaround. Awesome.

I had this issue when I recently bought a laptop that came with Creators. However you can call Microsoft and have an old version installed for you. Make sure it doesn't automatically upgrade to creators later on and remember to backup your files before you do all this.

cricketlove00

Postby cricketlove00 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:26 pm

WestWingWatcher wrote:
esrom55 wrote:

Wow, I really thought the refresher would be the beginning of them building is back up before the exam.... they're gonna do that... right...

I feel personally victimized by Barbri. The goal was 56 I guess. I did a bit better at 60 but I feel garbage about it

barexam2017

Postby barexam2017 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:18 pm

I found the refresher terribly difficult. I guessed many. Ended up getting 80/100. Have gone down though since the MBE Simulation. Ugh.

cricketlove00

Postby cricketlove00 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:20 pm

barexam2017 wrote:I found the refresher terribly difficult. I guessed many. Ended up getting 80/100. Have gone down though since the MBE Simulation. Ugh.

I'm pretty sure 80 is in the top ten percent so...

TheWalrus

Postby TheWalrus » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:24 pm

cricketlove00 wrote:
barexam2017 wrote:I found the refresher terribly difficult. I guessed many. Ended up getting 80/100. Have gone down though since the MBE Simulation. Ugh.

I'm pretty sure 80 is in the top ten percent so...

Dude is a troll.

How in the world does answering one question different on the stand make you a hostile witness?

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”