Memorization for Essays Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Joeshan520

Bronze

Memorization for Essays

Post by Joeshan520 » Tue May 30, 2017 10:52 am

I am taking Barbri, literally doing every assignment and I feel the course isn't helping me memorize the Michigan law elements for the essay portion. I usually get about 60-80% of the practice mbe questions correct but I can tell by the shape of the question and answers where things are heading. Any thoughts on this?

I'm also supplementing with critical pass flash cards.

ndbigdave

Bronze

Re: Memorization for Essays

Post by ndbigdave » Tue May 30, 2017 11:18 am

Joeshan520 wrote:I am taking Barbri, literally doing every assignment and I feel the course isn't helping me memorize the Michigan law elements for the essay portion. I usually get about 60-80% of the practice mbe questions correct but I can tell by the shape of the question and answers where things are heading. Any thoughts on this?

Hope I can help here, I took (and passed) the Michigan exam (J2015).

The advice I have given others (and implemented myself) was to generally not worry about Michigan distinctions - the time spent is not totally worth it as you can score passing/above average scores without evening mentioning it. Michigan follows the Fed rules for Evidence, but does have its own rules for civ pro and naturally with other subjects, but without knowing what subjects will be on the essays it is a guessing game and A LOT of time spent over the course of all the subjects. I found the general outlines through the mini-convisor (or other such outlines) provide the BLL and concepts necessary to score the requisite points. This worked out very well with me, I ended up with two 5's but also received 10's and 9's to pass comfortably while not studying hard as I was working full-time and was a bit lazy/arrogant.

Joeshan520

Bronze

Post by Joeshan520 » Tue May 30, 2017 11:35 am

Do you think this is overkill?

Complete all of the Barbri assignments (barbri amp, lectures, fill in outlines, etc)

Read fill in outlines and write Michigan distinctions on critical pass flash cards.

Review critical pass flashcards whenever I have some down time.

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Tue May 30, 2017 11:56 am

Joeshan520 wrote:Do you think this is overkill?

Complete all of the Barbri assignments (barbri amp, lectures, fill in outlines, etc)

Read fill in outlines and write Michigan distinctions on critical pass flash cards.

Review critical pass flashcards whenever I have some down time.
It goes to whatever works for you - you have to "know thyself" and do what is most productive and useful.

Sounds like you are studying full-time (consider me jealous) I think the plan of attack you outlined will be beyond sufficient assuming you are a flash card learner and enjoy going through the lectures. I think there would be a way to pare down some of the busy work and yet be as productive (which means more efficient). But only you know what works best for you - if you need to listen to lectures, go for it, if AMP helps reinforce information great (I generally think lecture listening is time consuming with few marginal benefits and most people hate AMPs) I think going through MBE questions, reviewing outlines/flashcards and then reviewing essays is the best way to learn the BLL and practical skills necessary for the test. Practicing HOW to take the test can be beneficial for many people beyond knowing WHAT will be on the test. There needs to be a mix - to that end, it is beneficial to get your hands on REAL MBE questions, taken under timed conditions, then reviewing questions (both right and wrong). These questions can be purchased from NCBE, BarMax, Adaptibar or Emmanuel's Strategies and Tactics.

blueapple

Silver

Post by blueapple » Tue May 30, 2017 12:05 pm

ndbigdave wrote:
Joeshan520 wrote:I am taking Barbri, literally doing every assignment and I feel the course isn't helping me memorize the Michigan law elements for the essay portion. I usually get about 60-80% of the practice mbe questions correct but I can tell by the shape of the question and answers where things are heading. Any thoughts on this?

Hope I can help here, I took (and passed) the Michigan exam (J2015).

The advice I have given others (and implemented myself) was to generally not worry about Michigan distinctions - the time spent is not totally worth it as you can score passing/above average scores without evening mentioning it. Michigan follows the Fed rules for Evidence, but does have its own rules for civ pro and naturally with other subjects, but without knowing what subjects will be on the essays it is a guessing game and A LOT of time spent over the course of all the subjects. I found the general outlines through the mini-convisor (or other such outlines) provide the BLL and concepts necessary to score the requisite points. This worked out very well with me, I ended up with two 5's but also received 10's and 9's to pass comfortably while not studying hard as I was working full-time and was a bit lazy/arrogant.
I passed July 2016 and agree with all of this (except Michigan does have some evidence distinctions -- maybe that is something that changed after July 2015). I don't really have much to add but just thought I'd chime in with some support.
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Tue May 30, 2017 1:06 pm

I think it really helps to see the material from various perspectives. Often when you read it in a 2nd source it'll reinforce what you learned from the first source. I think an outline like the Conviser Mini Review and then flashcards should be sufficient. You also want to remember that the essays are testing a skill as much as they are testing knowledge. So, as others have said, do not get hung up on the minor details as you might have to if you were being tested on a multiple-choice format. Make yourself competent in the knowledge required for these subjects but practice the skill of applying the law that you're learning to a given set of facts and drawing a conclusion based upon the application. If you become good at this skill you really stand out from most of the exams that are written. That isn't a knock on anyone; it's just that there isn't much time to get good at this skill and most don't spend enough time on it.

Sean (Silverman Bar Prep)
http://www.mbetutorial.blogspot.com

pvnyc

Bronze

Post by pvnyc » Tue May 30, 2017 4:57 pm

You should take a look at these MEE flashcards from thepocketbar.com. I bought them. PM me if you would like a code. (they have a UBE set of flashcards.. or you can get the MEE flashcards)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”