Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2017

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
mendianne

New

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2017

Postby mendianne » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:49 pm

champloo wrote:
mendianne wrote:Anyone else super behind? I'm a mom for 2 who is currently at home with my 9 month old trying to get through these lecture and everything else and its such a struggle. This is my second go around at themis since the first time I took the bar I ended up not being able to complete it due to a medical emergency. I'm only 50% done with this program and the test is two weeks away!!! I'm freaking out and so stressed I literally cut all my hair off the other day. Lord I can't be the only one dealing and feeling like this.

A consolation is the last time I took Themis I only completed like 30% before own into the test and after the first day I was relieved but I think it was because I actually got through one day of testing not because I was super confident I did well. lol!

it's people like you that make me take a step back and stop complaining lol. i have no idea what it'd be like trying to study for the bar with a 9 month old baby but i don't want to know either. cheers to you and i'm sure you'll do fine. i'm only at 40% but i think most people are around the 60% mark, so i don't think you're too far off.

OMG I needed this!! I kept telling myself everyone else is already at the 75% mark and it was hanging over my head like crazy. I have a 3 year old who I had my second year of law school so I should be use to this kinda stuff but law school with one kid was a cake walk compared to the last 6 weeks with 2 kids. Breastfeeding and watching lectures is literally for the birds lol!

mendianne

New

Postby mendianne » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:03 pm

whats an updog wrote:
mendianne wrote:Anyone else super behind? I'm a mom for 2 who is currently at home with my 9 month old trying to get through these lecture and everything else and its such a struggle. This is my second go around at themis since the first time I took the bar I ended up not being able to complete it due to a medical emergency. I'm only 50% done with this program and the test is two weeks away!!! I'm freaking out and so stressed I literally cut all my hair off the other day. Lord I can't be the only one dealing and feeling like this.

A consolation is the last time I took Themis I only completed like 30% before own into the test and after the first day I was relieved but I think it was because I actually got through one day of testing not because I was super confident I did well. lol!

As a parent whose spouse has taken over ALL duties in the last week or so, I definitely feel for you. Still, I think 50% isn't a bad spot to be in with a couple weeks left. You've got time to finish the main materials and get a good amount of practice in.

If you have anyone who you can call on for help with the kids, do it - it might make you feel guilty or like you're putting a burden on other people, but you probably underestimate what others are willing to do for you. You owe it to yourself to get as much practice as you can. Additionally, if you pass this time, you won't have to worry about repeating the same thing down the line. Best of luck!

I really wish I had someone to help but my husband works out of town and my other family members still work everyday as well. My son is so attached to me it sometimes feels like he's still in the womb so at this point I'm still just trying to manage. Did I mention we are in the process of moving to a new home as well. :x Im dealing with a bunch but I'm glad I found this forum to get more information and know that I'm not alone in these struggles. :)

quirky

New

Postby quirky » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:06 pm

mendianne wrote:
champloo wrote:

it's people like you that make me take a step back and stop complaining lol. i have no idea what it'd be like trying to study for the bar with a 9 month old baby but i don't want to know either. cheers to you and i'm sure you'll do fine. i'm only at 40% but i think most people are around the 60% mark, so i don't think you're too far off.

OMG I needed this!! I kept telling myself everyone else is already at the 75% mark and it was hanging over my head like crazy. I have a 3 year old who I had my second year of law school so I should be use to this kinda stuff but law school with one kid was a cake walk compared to the last 6 weeks with 2 kids. Breastfeeding and watching lectures is literally for the birds lol!

Also studying for the bar with a kid. Kudos to y'all because I've had help three days a week and I'm about at the same place as y'all. Most of my friends are sitting around 60% as well. I think it is more important to worry about the quality of study you are getting in than that stupid tracker. I am just starting to really focus on the essays and it is just so overwhelming.

michelle3908

New

Postby michelle3908 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:30 pm

quirky wrote:
mendianne wrote:
champloo wrote:

Also studying for the bar with a kid. Kudos to y'all because I've had help three days a week and I'm about at the same place as y'all. Most of my friends are sitting around 60% as well. I think it is more important to worry about the quality of study you are getting in than that stupid tracker. I am just starting to really focus on the essays and it is just so overwhelming.

I couldn't imagine trying to study and keep up with little ones. I'm having a hard time getting done, and all I'm dealing with is a cold and my dog. But you're not the only one feeling like this because my Themis Rep sent a mass message out this morning, I think to calm some of us down after she's talked to us. Below is some info that may be of help to you:
(1) She said if you haven't finished the lectures, focus on those first and get them finished up b/c they cover the major rules/points.
(2) In response to people telling her that they can't remember everything, she said: you will not and cannot know everything but you do not need to know it all in order to pass the exam. Getting 2/3 of the points on the MEE/MPTs and 2/3 of the MBE questions correct has historically resulted in a clear pass on the exam. Therefore, focus on the “big ticket” issues. (BTW I found that studicata has a free download of the 120 most tested rules.) She also wrote to reach out to your rep and see if they can help you focus on what is the big ticket issues versus not.
(3) She said if we were behind to focus on doing 50 MBE questions instead of 100, and work through the answers to those so we understand those thoroughly and learn from them. She said focus on quality of your studying not quantity and adding percentage points to the progress bar.

I hope this helps!

mendianne

New

Postby mendianne » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:41 pm

quirky wrote:
mendianne wrote:
champloo wrote:

That tracker is extremely annoying. Its apart of my everyday anxiety :?

mendianne

New

Postby mendianne » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:47 pm

michelle3908 wrote:
quirky wrote:
mendianne wrote:
champloo wrote:

I couldn't imagine trying to study and keep up with little ones. I'm having a hard time getting done, and all I'm dealing with is a cold and my dog. But you're not the only one feeling like this because my Themis Rep sent a mass message out this morning, I think to calm some of us down after she's talked to us. Below is some info that may be of help to you:
(1) She said if you haven't finished the lectures, focus on those first and get them finished up b/c they cover the major rules/points.
(2) In response to people telling her that they can't remember everything, she said: you will not and cannot know everything but you do not need to know it all in order to pass the exam. Getting 2/3 of the points on the MEE/MPTs and 2/3 of the MBE questions correct has historically resulted in a clear pass on the exam. Therefore, focus on the “big ticket” issues. (BTW I found that studicata has a free download of the 120 most tested rules.) She also wrote to reach out to your rep and see if they can help you focus on what is the big ticket issues versus not.
(3) She said if we were behind to focus on doing 50 MBE questions instead of 100, and work through the answers to those so we understand those thoroughly and learn from them. She said focus on quality of your studying not quantity and adding percentage points to the progress bar.

I hope this helps!

Im trying to finish up the lectures either today or tomorrow since I need to do corporations, wills and estates, and commercial paper. Those are last 3. I checked into the studicata tested rules and that doesn't apply to the Texas bar since they only cover UC/MEE states. ugh!!! I also am having a hard time remembering everything and specifically I'm having and issue with the essays. Can you also break down that 2/3 MEE/mpt and 2/3 MBE point thing. I didn't understand it but I really want to. I have been creating flash cards based on the explanations given to the answers that I get wrong in the specific subjects for MBE. A friend also sent me a day to day attack outline for day 1 and day 3. ITs just so much material to try and weed through I'm personally shook but this support helps a lot.

Lawyerman08

New

Postby Lawyerman08 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:08 pm

So would it be accurate to say that the consensus of this thread is that the MBE PQs are likely harder than the actual MBE questions, such that I should feel alright if I'm sitting at 68% with 1000 questions under my belt? That just feels way to close to the 65% target for me to feel comfortable and is making me pretty nervous.

champloo

Bronze

Postby champloo » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:10 pm

Question 127 on the simulated MBE:

[+] Spoiler
Article I, § 4 of the Constitution provides: “The times, places and manner of holding elections for Senators and Representatives shall be prescribed by each state legislature, but Congress may . . . make or alter such regulations.” Congress enacted a statute requiring every state to allow voters to register to vote in federal elections either by mail or at a state motor vehicle department. If a state refuses to comply with the statute and is sued by the federal government, will the state likely prevail?

I don't understand how this is congress requiring the state to change their laws. I viewed this as congress is forcing state officials to do something based on a federal statute that is likely in conflict with a state statute (or no state statute in conflict with).

bmmccb223

Bronze

Postby bmmccb223 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:42 pm

champloo wrote:Question 127 on the simulated MBE:

[+] Spoiler
Article I, § 4 of the Constitution provides: “The times, places and manner of holding elections for Senators and Representatives shall be prescribed by each state legislature, but Congress may . . . make or alter such regulations.” Congress enacted a statute requiring every state to allow voters to register to vote in federal elections either by mail or at a state motor vehicle department. If a state refuses to comply with the statute and is sued by the federal government, will the state likely prevail?

I don't understand how this is congress requiring the state to change their laws. I viewed this as congress is forcing state officials to do something based on a federal statute that is likely in conflict with a state statute (or no state statute in conflict with).

What don't you get? The provision is in the Constitution so Congress has plenary authority to regulate laws relating to federal (though not state) elections. If you're referring to the commandeering doctrine, its not applicable here because that doctrine only pertains to the spending power.

star fox

Diamond

Postby star fox » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:52 pm

I noticed there were a few questions on the simulated MBE where they just started quoting part of the Constitution and then asked you to interpret it. They did it with the Bankruptcy one too. I hadn't seen questions like that before.

IronCobra

New

Postby IronCobra » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:57 pm

[+] Spoiler

I interpreted that question the same way as you and also missed the question because of it. Technically, Congress is not forcing the state to "change" their law in that hypo, so the correct answer choice was very poorly worded.

star fox

Diamond

Postby star fox » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:07 pm

IronCobra wrote:

[+] Spoiler

I interpreted that question the same way as you and also missed the question because of it. Technically, Congress is not forcing the state to "change" their law in that hypo, so the correct answer choice was very poorly worded.

Either way, you can't commander the legislature ("enact this law") or the executive ("enforce this law"). "enacted a statute requiring every state..." is a giveaway it's a commandeering situation.

lavarman84

Platinum

Postby lavarman84 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:41 pm

The key to that Con Law question is that the Constitution explicitly allowed Congress to do that. The commandeering principle comes from the Supreme Court's take on federalism. The Constitution will always override that. So in that situation, the commandeering principle isn't applicable because it can't be unconstitutional when the Constitution expressly allows it.

logicspeaks

Bronze

Postby logicspeaks » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:10 pm

That practice exam was actually much more taxing than I expected. By the time I got through 150 questions I was having trouble focusing.

IronCobra

New

Postby IronCobra » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:13 pm

star fox wrote:
IronCobra wrote:

[+] Spoiler

Either way, you can't commander the legislature ("enact this law") or the executive ("enforce this law"). "enacted a statute requiring every state..." is a giveaway it's a commandeering situation.

Agreed—but our issue with the question is that the Themis correct answer explicitly talks about commandeering the legislature ("No, because Article I, § 4 permits Congress to require states to change their laws regarding federal elections"), whereas we interpreted the question to strictly be about commandeering the state executive officers. Just a matter of us reading this shit too literally. Which is hard not to do when so many of these Themis questions are "gotcha" questions.

Bass

New

Postby Bass » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:10 pm

Since the Fourteenth Amendment Due Process Clause incorporates the protections in so many other amendments, e.g. 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 8th, does the Enabling Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment give Congress the power to enforce these other amendments (other than the 14th itself) through legislation?

Thanks!! 8)

cunninghat

New

Postby cunninghat » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:59 pm

NY bar here - just finished my sim MBE and did okay (68% AM, 66% PM). Seems like my MBE PQ scores have settled around 66% after 1400 PQs (not including the exams Qs) with recent mix sets in the high 60s- low 70s. Finished all the lectures, but I've basically only written 3 full essays and have barely looked at an MPT yet. Haven't really studied up on the other MEE-only topics besides listening through them once and filled in the lecture notes.

Anyone else in the same-ish boat with advice on how to prioritize the next 2 weeks? Is ~66% for MBE safe? How much time should we shift towards studying MEE-only topics, practicing essays, and MPTs?

lavarman84

Platinum

Postby lavarman84 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:18 pm

Bass wrote:Since the Fourteenth Amendment Due Process Clause incorporates the protections in so many other amendments, e.g. 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 8th, does the Enabling Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment give Congress the power to enforce these other amendments (other than the 14th itself) through legislation?

Thanks!! 8)

The Enabling Clause allows Congress to enforce any right that arises under the 14th Amendment (Equal Protection or Due Process) as long as it meets the Congruence and Proportionality test. So the answer is it depends but likely yes.

michelle3908

New

Postby michelle3908 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:37 pm

mendianne wrote:
michelle3908 wrote:
quirky wrote:
mendianne wrote:
champloo wrote:

I hope this helps!

Im trying to finish up the lectures either today or tomorrow since I need to do corporations, wills and estates, and commercial paper. Those are last 3. I checked into the studicata tested rules and that doesn't apply to the Texas bar since they only cover UC/MEE states. ugh!!! I also am having a hard time remembering everything and specifically I'm having and issue with the essays. Can you also break down that 2/3 MEE/mpt and 2/3 MBE point thing. I didn't understand it but I really want to. I have been creating flash cards based on the explanations given to the answers that I get wrong in the specific subjects for MBE. A friend also sent me a day to day attack outline for day 1 and day 3. ITs just so much material to try and weed through I'm personally shook but this support helps a lot.

I'm in SC taking mine, so the exam components: MBE is 50%, MEE is 30%, and MPT is 20%. 266 is passing, so my rep was saying getting around 2/3 on MBE and 2/3 of the MEE/MPT points would likely get us to passing with how the exam is structured here. You may want to talk to your Themis rep about how TX scores, and what you should be focusing the most on to pass so you know your using your last two weeks studying the big ticket items.

cho8583

New

Postby cho8583 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:13 am

changing_names wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:
cho8583 wrote:Im really freaking out after seeing the morning part of MBE practice exam; just 51%. I was ok with the other previous exams, which I was above the average.. I never had this low score.. plus witnessing you guys on 65+%, im really worried.

Was it really ok for you guys? I dint think i have guts to do the other half of the exam..

Might as well take the second part. I thought it was easier.

I promise you you're not the only one. That includes myself. I got 61 on the first set and 51 on the second set. But, I went through every question I got wrong, wrote down every rule I messed up, wrote down every rule I got right for the wrong reasons, and am reviewing those while continuing to do mixed subject tests. I am also using AdaptiBar but I don't think you need that, there is plenty in Themis. You can still raise your score VERY MUCH. You still have time. Keep doing mixed subject MBE practice tests, keep reviewing every rule you get wrong. Check to make sure you're not getting stuck on the same rule. You can do this. You have time to raise your score AND you will because you will put in the work and get better. This is possible. Good luck!

Thanks for the encouragement! Oh well, got 2 wks so no choice to keep it going, right? :)

cho8583

New

Postby cho8583 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:22 am

BTW, is the lecture on this simulated MBE exam helpful? If not, I plan to skip them since the time goes fast :(

logicspeaks

Bronze

Postby logicspeaks » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:46 am

cho8583 wrote:BTW, is the lecture on this simulated MBE exam helpful? If not, I plan to skip them since the time goes fast :(

IMO, no. The lectures are just truncated answer explanations, which is particularly unhelpful for reviewing questions you missed. I ended up skipping the lectures and just reviewed the answer explanations more carefully than usual.

cho8583

New

Postby cho8583 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:57 am

logicspeaks wrote:
cho8583 wrote:BTW, is the lecture on this simulated MBE exam helpful? If not, I plan to skip them since the time goes fast :(

IMO, no. The lectures are just truncated answer explanations, which is particularly unhelpful for reviewing questions you missed. I ended up skipping the lectures and just reviewed the answer explanations more carefully than usual.

I appreciate your input!

Puffman1234

New

Postby Puffman1234 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:35 am

I did the simulated MBE today. Got 1.4% for doing it, and got 2.8% for skipping all the lectures.

Law4lyf

New

Postby Law4lyf » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:38 am

cho8583 wrote:
logicspeaks wrote:

I appreciate your input!

The only one I found helpful was the one on evidence. He gave a structured approach to analyzing evidence questions. It helped me stop seeing everything as hearsay :)

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?