Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2017

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
ernie

Bronze

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2017

Postby ernie » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:40 pm

I think I average around 3 hours daily. I watch the lectures at 2x and do the MBE questions/essays, but that's it. I'll probably ramp up in July.

villanovajew

New

Postby villanovajew » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:09 pm

Jon_Snow wrote:
J-english wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:
Slytherpuff wrote:
the_pakalypse wrote:Is anyone finding the time allocations unrealistic? Always feel like I'm working much more than 8 hours most days :?

Has anyone else actually reached out or talked to Themis folks? Have they been helpful? All I've gotten so far are generic messages on the Themis message box.

I reached out to them because I had done the 17 intro Criminal Procedure questions while studying for my Crim Pro final in May. I wanted to reset them because I got like a 35% (because my Crim Pro class only covered half of UBE Crim Pro). They were dicks. Basically said that they never reset questions. I responded saying look man, I spent a lot of money this course. So then they reset it but made me aware that it was a one time only sort of thing. Kind of ridiculous IMO.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Postby Slytherpuff » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:12 pm

I heard from my state's director on the phone a couple of weeks back and he was very reassuring, but I haven't had to go them with specific questions about anything.

jennifer_42

New

Postby jennifer_42 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:05 pm

villanovajew wrote:
Jon_Snow wrote:
J-english wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:
Slytherpuff wrote:
the_pakalypse wrote:Is anyone finding the time allocations unrealistic? Always feel like I'm working much more than 8 hours most days :?

Has anyone else actually reached out or talked to Themis folks? Have they been helpful? All I've gotten so far are generic messages on the Themis message box.

I reached out to them because I had done the 17 intro Criminal Procedure questions while studying for my Crim Pro final in May. I wanted to reset them because I got like a 35% (because my Crim Pro class only covered half of UBE Crim Pro). They were dicks. Basically said that they never reset questions. I responded saying look man, I spent a lot of money this course. So then they reset it but made me aware that it was a one time only sort of thing. Kind of ridiculous IMO.

Well, that's interesting. They responded to my similar question with a flat (but polite) refusal. Hmm.

ernie

Bronze

Postby ernie » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:44 pm

Pam Karlan (criminal law) is pretty good.

AdInfinitum

New

Postby AdInfinitum » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:52 pm

ernie wrote:Pam Karlan (criminal law) is pretty good.

I like her. She talks a lot faster than the others and is pretty succinct. It's funny how she starts every video with "Hi, I'm Pam Karlan." I know who you are by now.

bmmccb223

Bronze

Postby bmmccb223 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:03 pm

Jon_Snow wrote:
J-english wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:
Slytherpuff wrote:

This, except I'm finding there just aren't enough hours in the day to complete all the tasks so I keep falling further behind instead of catching up. And then I get progressively more assigned each day in an effort to get my schedule to 100% completion. Like, I'm sorry I can't spend 12 hours a day on this, Themis?

You must be reading the outlines.

My problem is that one day I will get everything done in like 5 hours and the following day its like 10 hours. I wish it would even itself out a little better.

I do not read the big outline in-depth. I only use them to clarify stuff that I keep getting wrong and to make review cards for harder concepts. Definitely don't read the outlines unless that's how you learn best. I was told by my Themis person that the outlines should be skimmed and you shouldn't spend more then an hour on the initial read.

Lol. I spent almost a whole day going over Contracts outline the first time it was assigned.

So is all the pertinent information in the lecture notes? Why even provide the outline the first place?

Love With The Coco

New

Postby Love With The Coco » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:07 pm

AdInfinitum wrote:

I like her. She talks a lot faster than the others and is pretty succinct. It's funny how she starts every video with "Hi, I'm Pam Karlan." I know who you are by now.

Similarly, the way Clark ends every lecture with "good" is comical.

Fireworks2016

New

Postby Fireworks2016 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:36 pm

I liked her a lot too. Kramer and Karlan are the best two. Clark is meh. Schott should be replaced.

lavarman84

Platinum

Postby lavarman84 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:54 pm

foundingfather wrote:
Slytherpuff wrote:

This, except I'm finding there just aren't enough hours in the day to complete all the tasks so I keep falling further behind instead of catching up. And then I get progressively more assigned each day in an effort to get my schedule to 100% completion. Like, I'm sorry I can't spend 12 hours a day on this, Themis?

you're not alone - like another poster above said, sometimes I will finish everything in a few hours. other days (most days) I will not finish the assigned tasks and it keeps piling on work.

sometimes real life happens and I don't get to study that day. and I started two weeks late on top of that

just keep on truckin' Slytherpuff

Usually, I can get it all done if I'm sufficiently focused, but I'm not reading the outlines and am watching the lectures at 2x speed usually.

However, I also am only aiming for 75% completion, so I'm not sweating it when I can't get something done. At the end of the day, guys and gals, just aim for 75%. If you do better, great.

michelle3908

New

Postby michelle3908 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:20 pm

lavarman84 wrote:
foundingfather wrote:
Slytherpuff wrote:

you're not alone - like another poster above said, sometimes I will finish everything in a few hours. other days (most days) I will not finish the assigned tasks and it keeps piling on work.

sometimes real life happens and I don't get to study that day. and I started two weeks late on top of that

Usually, I can get it all done if I'm sufficiently focused, but I'm not reading the outlines and am watching the lectures at 2x speed usually.

However, I also am only aiming for 75% completion, so I'm not sweating it when I can't get something done. At the end of the day, guys and gals, just aim for 75%. If you do better, great.

I'm working full time so I'm only shooting for 75% too. I'm getting nothing out of those McElroy and Ide-don lectures, so I've been skipping those.

ernie

Bronze

Postby ernie » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:21 pm

michelle3908 wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:
foundingfather wrote:
Slytherpuff wrote:

I'm working full time so I'm only shooting for 75% too. I'm getting nothing out of those McElroy and Ide-don lectures, so I've been skipping those.

I download McElroy and Ide-don on my phone and listen to them while running errands or on my commute.

michelle3908

New

Postby michelle3908 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:32 pm

ernie wrote:
michelle3908 wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:
foundingfather wrote:
Slytherpuff wrote:

I download McElroy and Ide-don on my phone and listen to them while running errands or on my commute.

Good idea, maybe I will knock them out while driving just in case they have some different insights.

SeewhathappensLarry

Bronze

Postby SeewhathappensLarry » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:48 pm

michelle3908 wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:
foundingfather wrote:
Slytherpuff wrote:

Yup I skip all of McElroy's stuff

SplitMyPants

Gold

Postby SplitMyPants » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:12 pm

how in the hell is "Review: Contracts & Sales (Lecture Handout)" 0.4% but reading an entire fucking outline or something is only 0.2%...?!?!

michelle3908

New

Postby michelle3908 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:15 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:how in the hell is "Review: Contracts & Sales (Lecture Handout)" 0.4% but reading an entire fucking outline or something is only 0.2%...?!?!

I'm sure there is some complicated BS answer to this on the website lol. I have no idea how they gauge the percentages, but sometimes you do a ton of stuff and it seems the number never moves.

whats an updog

Bronze

Postby whats an updog » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:28 pm

I skip McElroy, but I think that at least reading the handouts for Ide-Don is a good use of time. What I've read (maybe even in this thread?) is that the majority of points on essays come from correct/clear organization and that's something I really struggle with. The breakdowns and suggested formatting from the Ide-Don handouts have been very useful to me. His lectures are probably unnecessary, but they do force you to take the time to focus on the handouts.

SeewhathappensLarry

Bronze

Postby SeewhathappensLarry » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:06 pm

whats an updog wrote:I skip McElroy, but I think that at least reading the handouts for Ide-Don is a good use of time. What I've read (maybe even in this thread?) is that the majority of points on essays come from correct/clear organization and that's something I really struggle with. The breakdowns and suggested formatting from the Ide-Don handouts have been very useful to me. His lectures are probably unnecessary, but they do force you to take the time to focus on the handouts.

This might be an incredibly dumb question but who (or what) is an Ide-Don? I haven't encountered this yet

whats an updog

Bronze

Postby whats an updog » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:21 pm

SeewhathappensLarry wrote:
whats an updog wrote:I skip McElroy, but I think that at least reading the handouts for Ide-Don is a good use of time. What I've read (maybe even in this thread?) is that the majority of points on essays come from correct/clear organization and that's something I really struggle with. The breakdowns and suggested formatting from the Ide-Don handouts have been very useful to me. His lectures are probably unnecessary, but they do force you to take the time to focus on the handouts.

This might be an incredibly dumb question but who (or what) is an Ide-Don? I haven't encountered this yet

This dude

ernie

Bronze

Postby ernie » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:26 pm

LOL

whats an updog

Bronze

Postby whats an updog » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:04 pm

He's for California only I think, but he does the essay workshops

ernie

Bronze

Postby ernie » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:06 pm

We have him in NY too.

villanovajew

New

Postby villanovajew » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:45 pm

He also does UBE, so a lot of people have him.

ernie

Bronze

Postby ernie » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:15 pm

His huge tie knot distracts me.

the_pakalypse

Bronze

Postby the_pakalypse » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:30 pm

LOL

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?