Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2017

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Law4lyf

New
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 10:09 am

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2017

Postby Law4lyf » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:51 pm

What should our progress percentage be at if we started on time(may 22)? I starting doing more on the flex study side and I want to make sure that I'm on target.

ernie

Bronze
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:34 am

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2017

Postby ernie » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:37 am

Law4lyf wrote:What should our progress percentage be at if we started on time(may 22)? I starting doing more on the flex study side and I want to make sure that I'm on target.

FWIW I've been adhering to the recommended schedule w/ May 22 start and am at 32.3%.

bellalove23

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:37 pm

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2017

Postby bellalove23 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:51 am

Checking in (late), and studying while working full time (skipped 2 previous exams as I was finishing a dual degree and had just started a new job for the Feb bar study time). I'm sitting New York, but currently live in London, so basically no one understand my pain irl haha.

Dunno about the rest of you, but the fear is starting to set in for real.

All of my friends passed last year and I feel like they've forgotten the anxiety associated so I thought I'd commiserate here :D

Good luck on the milestone exam today, for everyone who is taking it!

michelle3908

New
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:09 pm

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2017

Postby michelle3908 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:11 am

Fireworks2016 wrote:Is there a magic # of MBE questions to hit? I'm at 750, with 75% accuracy so far, feeling much less confident about the essays.


Are these questions all from Themis or are you using adaptibar or other supplements?

bmmccb223

Bronze
Posts: 265
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:58 pm

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2017

Postby bmmccb223 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:32 am

ernie wrote:
Law4lyf wrote:What should our progress percentage be at if we started on time(may 22)? I starting doing more on the flex study side and I want to make sure that I'm on target.

FWIW I've been adhering to the recommended schedule w/ May 22 start and am at 32.3%.


I started May 23 and am at 31%

Fireworks2016

New
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 1:17 pm

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2017

Postby Fireworks2016 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:57 am

michelle3908 wrote:
Fireworks2016 wrote:Is there a magic # of MBE questions to hit? I'm at 750, with 75% accuracy so far, feeling much less confident about the essays.


Are these questions all from Themis or are you using adaptibar or other supplements?


Only Themis so far.

blaze1306

Bronze
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:31 pm

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2017

Postby blaze1306 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:38 pm

Mile wide and a inch deep....

Samarcan

New
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:14 pm

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2017

Postby Samarcan » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:37 pm

so nice to move from property to torts....

User avatar
MelaPela

New
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:41 am

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2017

Postby MelaPela » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:12 pm

Samarcan wrote:so nice to move from property to torts....


+1 to that. Though Kramer was a more entertaining lecturer than Clark is.

lavarman84

Platinum
Posts: 7646
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2017

Postby lavarman84 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:26 am

I really like the Themis property professor and am enjoying property (as crazy as that sounds).

MelaPela wrote:
Samarcan wrote:so nice to move from property to torts....


+1 to that. Though Kramer was a more entertaining lecturer than Clark is.


Clark was terrible.

michelle3908

New
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:09 pm

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2017

Postby michelle3908 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:44 am

lavarman84 wrote:I really like the Themis property professor and am enjoying property (as crazy as that sounds).

MelaPela wrote:
Samarcan wrote:so nice to move from property to torts....


+1 to that. Though Kramer was a more entertaining lecturer than Clark is.


Clark was terrible.


Kramer was so much better than Clark.

User avatar
Jon_Snow

New
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:02 pm

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2017

Postby Jon_Snow » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:50 am

Just wanted to chip in and say that if you have a Mac, you can use Calibre (an open source app) to convert the epubs of the outlines into DOCx and edit them on your own.

Samarcan

New
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:14 pm

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2017

Postby Samarcan » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:17 pm

michelle3908 wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:I really like the Themis property professor and am enjoying property (as crazy as that sounds).

MelaPela wrote:
Samarcan wrote:so nice to move from property to torts....


+1 to that. Though Kramer was a more entertaining lecturer than Clark is.


Clark was terrible.


Kramer was so much better than Clark.


Kramer was better than Clark but now that I'm done with his lectures and doing the Property practice questions, I'm consistently getting only around 50% or less correct. I know the material in property is hard, but I didn't think it would be THAT hard. Kramer's lectures didn't really help at all with the tough stuff -- mortgages, deeds, foreclosures.

User avatar
Slytherpuff

Platinum
Posts: 5401
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:50 pm

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2017

Postby Slytherpuff » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:51 pm

Yeah I agree about Kramer - I liked his lecturing but he really just glossed over the hard stuff and tried to distract us with how sexy! exciting! it was.

michelle3908

New
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:09 pm

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2017

Postby michelle3908 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:28 pm

Samarcan wrote:
michelle3908 wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:I really like the Themis property professor and am enjoying property (as crazy as that sounds).

MelaPela wrote:
Samarcan wrote:so nice to move from property to torts....


+1 to that. Though Kramer was a more entertaining lecturer than Clark is.


Clark was terrible.


Kramer was so much better than Clark.


Kramer was better than Clark but now that I'm done with his lectures and doing the Property practice questions, I'm consistently getting only around 50% or less correct. I know the material in property is hard, but I didn't think it would be THAT hard. Kramer's lectures didn't really help at all with the tough stuff -- mortgages, deeds, foreclosures.


I will agree with that based on the content of the MBE practice questions. I'm all over the place with the percent correct on the questions. One set will be 50, next will be 70, next will be 45 percent.

Tati718

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:47 pm

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2017

Postby Tati718 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:18 pm

I prefer Kramer AND Clark over Schott. I thought I was done w/ Schott after family law but he does the evidence vids as well :shock: :(

User avatar
foundingfather

Silver
Posts: 1030
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:31 pm

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2017

Postby foundingfather » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:18 pm

Kramer is hilarious

J-english

New
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:47 pm

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2017

Postby J-english » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:22 pm

Tati718 wrote:I prefer Kramer AND Clark over Schott. I thought I was done w/ Schott after family law but he does the evidence vids as well :shock: :(


Ugg.... I was so disappointed when I started those videos this morning!!!! My biggest problem with him is that he doesn't really follow the handout so half the time I'm like what just happened.... did you say what goes in this blank or nah?

Bluem_11

Bronze
Posts: 201
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:03 pm

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2017

Postby Bluem_11 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:29 pm

For classes like Contracts, Property and Civ Pro unless you want the lectures to take you two weeks, there's no way the material can be sufficiently covered, there's so many little rules. You just have to brute force your way through the details after getting the broad strokes.

User avatar
SeewhathappensLarry

Bronze
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:25 am

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2017

Postby SeewhathappensLarry » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:30 pm

Tati718 wrote:I prefer Kramer AND Clark over Schott. I thought I was done w/ Schott after family law but he does the evidence vids as well :shock: :(


I got nothing out of the evidence videos. I just don't think it's the best way for me to learn evidence. I'm using my old evidence outline instead. It also didn't help that Schott was way too f'ing friendly when I was watching him hungover

Law4lyf

New
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 10:09 am

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2017

Postby Law4lyf » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:04 pm

So I just took the Torts Essay...I did not have enough time to get through all the issues, but got through 3 of them. This was because I was following the previous workshops advice by laying out all the factors of negligence the way he did. Did anyone else notice that the sample answer does not do this at all? How much detail are we supposed to throw in this answer?

User avatar
the_pakalypse

Bronze
Posts: 214
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:34 pm

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2017

Postby the_pakalypse » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:12 pm

Law4lyf wrote:So I just took the Torts Essay...I did not have enough time to get through all the issues, but got through 3 of them. This was because I was following the previous workshops advice by laying out all the factors of negligence the way he did. Did anyone else notice that the sample answer does not do this at all? How much detail are we supposed to throw in this answer?


Yeah, just did the same thing. The inconsistency is baffling.

Law4lyf

New
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 10:09 am

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2017

Postby Law4lyf » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:30 pm

the_pakalypse wrote:
Law4lyf wrote:So I just took the Torts Essay...I did not have enough time to get through all the issues, but got through 3 of them. This was because I was following the previous workshops advice by laying out all the factors of negligence the way he did. Did anyone else notice that the sample answer does not do this at all? How much detail are we supposed to throw in this answer?


Yeah, just did the same thing. The inconsistency is baffling.


I will contact them tomorrow morning and let you guys know what's going on.

User avatar
DvlDog5150

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:10 pm

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2017

Postby DvlDog5150 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:21 am

Here was a fun mind game-

According to the FRE:

Reputation evidence of the victim’s trait for peacefulness is allowed in a homicide case only after the defendant has introduced evidence that the victim was the initial aggressor. Pretty cut and dry right?

Facts followed the rule exactly- Defendant introduced evidence the victim was the initial aggressor. Prosecutor called a neighbor to testify to the peaceful reputation of the victim. Defense objects. Sustain or Overrule objection?

Does this sound like a good answer choice?

For goodness sake! The court should totally overrule right? I mean come on- the rule just told us the Prosecutor can introduce evidence of the victim’s reputation for peacefulness in any homicide case. Right? Right?

Sorry- wrong choice. I know- it totally almost states the rule verbatim....but note that little three letter word..... "any"..... Holy Crap. Stupid MBE.

User avatar
yeslekkkk

Bronze
Posts: 376
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:37 am

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2017

Postby yeslekkkk » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:02 am

Here's a sort of helpful video for mortgages: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShBjbw4to4Y

They also have some other property concepts going on in other videos. I thought I would just send it along!



Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bartlet4President, bobrino, Jdsquared87 and 14 guests