Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2017

mendianne

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2017

Postby mendianne » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:31 pm

SeewhathappensLarry wrote:I haven't gotten a single call all summer, I wonder why. I know it's not because of my amazing bar prowess

I've only gotten one call. I wish he would call me more. I had a woman the last time I took themis and she was very attentive.

Fireworks2016

Postby Fireworks2016 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:49 pm

IronCobra wrote:Has anyone else done the secured transactions/real property hybrid practice essay (ID 4091)? By far the most difficult practice essay I've done so far....

Just did it this morning. Absolutely wrecked me as well. Had forgotten any inkling of what a chattel paper was, or how fixtures were different than other collateral

MelaPela

Postby MelaPela » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:47 pm

Fireworks2016 wrote:
IronCobra wrote:Has anyone else done the secured transactions/real property hybrid practice essay (ID 4091)? By far the most difficult practice essay I've done so far....

Just did it this morning. Absolutely wrecked me as well. Had forgotten any inkling of what a chattel paper was, or how fixtures were different than other collateral

That sounds terrible. I hope we don't get anything like that on the exam...

Steve2207

Postby Steve2207 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:10 pm

Does anyone happen to have a good attack outline on evidence they wouldn’t mind sharing? I literally couldn’t understand Clarke at all, and cant seem to write an essay on the subject to save my life. I just need something to give me the basics so I at least have some idea of the topic in a nutshell.

I have some decent outlines too in some of the topics, and would be willing to make a trade if necessary.

bill_swerski

Postby bill_swerski » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:27 pm

Steve2207 wrote:Does anyone happen to have a good attack outline on evidence they wouldn’t mind sharing? I literally couldn’t understand Clarke at all, and cant seem to write an essay on the subject to save my life. I just need something to give me the basics so I at least have some idea of the topic in a nutshell.

I have some decent outlines too in some of the topics, and would be willing to make a trade if necessary.

Not an outline but someone posted a while back a video of a professor from Regents Law on Hearsay (usually the trickiest Evidence topic). The video was by far the best bar lecture I've seen, and is super helpful at understanding Hearsay.

jennifer_42

Postby jennifer_42 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:33 pm

mendianne wrote:
SeewhathappensLarry wrote:I haven't gotten a single call all summer, I wonder why. I know it's not because of my amazing bar prowess

I've only gotten one call. I wish he would call me more. I had a woman the last time I took themis and she was very attentive.

Send an email through the message center explaining what you want and choose "study strategies" or "Customer service" for the type of message.

nichsull

Postby nichsull » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:45 pm

Sorry if anyone has posted about this previously, I tried to read back and find any similar posts. I am curious about what steps people are taking now that the test is two weeks away in regards to essay writing. Themis suggests reviewing certain topics and writing practice essays. Does anyone have a strategy that they find to be working for them? I have been trying to make short outlines of each topic but it is really time consuming and not sure if it really is the best method. Any tips on improving essay writing would be great.

lavarman84
#MAGA

Postby lavarman84 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:47 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:Ugh my regional Themis director just called to check in and I let it go to voicemail since I didn't want to hear them tell me how behind in the course I am. :|

Mine texted first. I told him he could skip the call. I am fine with my progress and have basically gone off the Themis schedule to address my weaknesses at this point.

J-english

Postby J-english » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:14 am

Steve2207 wrote:Does anyone happen to have a good attack outline on evidence they wouldn’t mind sharing? I literally couldn’t understand Clarke at all, and cant seem to write an essay on the subject to save my life. I just need something to give me the basics so I at least have some idea of the topic in a nutshell.

Honestly I bought the attack outline and flash card set from studicata.com If you use the code dominate40 the set of 3 things for the MEE ends up only being $95.... Honestly it was worth it for me. The summaries alone are worth it for quick read throughs... and the flash cards are much more manageable then critical pass or law in a flash for me. I'm driving from Ohio to South Dakota to take the bar so I knew that I was going to need something more streamlined then all the books and handouts. These will be so much easier for me to do while my husband drives.... just my two cents. You have to do what works best for you. I had a friend that took it and passed in February tell me that at some point the subject she just wasn't getting she just gave up on and focused on other things that she knew she would be able to get. I'm about to that point with evidence right now... but I will keep on trying!

ArizonaCactus123

Postby ArizonaCactus123 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:04 am

J-english wrote:

Honestly I bought the attack outline and flash card set from studicata.com If you use the code dominate40 the set of 3 things for the MEE ends up only being $95.... Honestly it was worth it for me. The summaries alone are worth it for quick read throughs... and the flash cards are much more manageable then critical pass or law in a flash for me. I'm driving from Ohio to South Dakota to take the bar so I knew that I was going to need something more streamlined then all the books and handouts. These will be so much easier for me to do while my husband drives.... just my two cents. You have to do what works best for you. I had a friend that took it and passed in February tell me that at some point the subject she just wasn't getting she just gave up on and focused on other things that she knew she would be able to get. I'm about to that point with evidence right now... but I will keep on trying!

Think it's still worth getting this late in the game?

J-english

Postby J-english » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:39 am

ArizonaCactus123 wrote:
J-english wrote:

Think it's still worth getting this late in the game?

Literally bought it 2 days ago.... So worth it. Makes doing the reviews so much easier then reading am 80 page outline that has way to much detail or taking hours to create your own.

champloo

Postby champloo » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:53 am

i got killed on the mixed mbe pq set 9. anyone else have trouble with this set?

MelaPela

Postby MelaPela » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:26 pm

champloo wrote:i got killed on the mixed mbe pq set 9. anyone else have trouble with this set?

It was definitely harder than the other sets. I have been getting 69-74% on the sets and ended that one at 63%. I remember a lot of the questions testing unfamiliar nuances.

Tati718

Postby Tati718 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:07 pm

bill_swerski wrote:

Not an outline but someone posted a while back a video of a professor from Regents Law on Hearsay (usually the trickiest Evidence topic). The video was by far the best bar lecture I've seen, and is super helpful at understanding Hearsay.

Here's the link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNeFsjTfs2s

Hahalollawl

Postby Hahalollawl » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:17 pm

This might be a dumb question, but for the purpose of venue, apparently an entity that is plaintiff resides in the state where it's principal place of business is located (as opposed to where there is PJ for defendant), but why does that matter? When are you supposed to be looking at the plaintiff's residence to determine venue?

TheWalrus

Postby TheWalrus » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:26 pm

Hahalollawl wrote:This might be a dumb question, but for the purpose of venue, apparently an entity that is plaintiff resides in the state where it's principal place of business is located (as opposed to where there is PJ for defendant), but why does that matter? When are you supposed to be looking at the plaintiff's residence to determine venue?

Tbh, I don't really understand your first bit, but plaintiffs location is important for diversity jurisdiction.

Hahalollawl

Postby Hahalollawl » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:49 pm

TheWalrus wrote:
Hahalollawl wrote:This might be a dumb question, but for the purpose of venue, apparently an entity that is plaintiff resides in the state where it's principal place of business is located (as opposed to where there is PJ for defendant), but why does that matter? When are you supposed to be looking at the plaintiff's residence to determine venue?

Tbh, I don't really understand your first bit, but plaintiffs location is important for diversity jurisdiction.

Just for venue specifically, not diversity jurisdiction. Don't ask me why, but venue distinguishes between "entities" (PJ) and "individuals" (domicile) for the purpose of residence, which is one of three ways to have the proper venue. What I don't get is why anyone would ever care where a PLAINTIFF's residence is, when I only ever seem to be looking at the Defendant's residence for venue.

Also, if I'm getting to deep into the weeds here, someone please tell me and I'll just back out.
Last edited by Hahalollawl on Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheWalrus

Postby TheWalrus » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:51 pm

Hahalollawl wrote:
TheWalrus wrote:

Just for venue specifically, not diversity jurisdiction. Don't ask me why, but venue distinguishes between "entities" (PJ) and "individuals" (domicile) for the purpose of residence, which is one of three ways to have the proper venue. What I don't get is why anyone would ever care where a PLAINTIFF's residence is, when I only ever seem to be looking at the Defendant's residence for venue.

Also, if I'm getting to deep into the weeds here, someone please tell and I'll just back out.

I would guess it has to do with different venues for federal jurisdictions or such, but I haven't looked over civ pro in a few days. Sorry.

lavarman84
#MAGA

Postby lavarman84 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:21 pm

Hahalollawl wrote:
TheWalrus wrote:

Also, if I'm getting to deep into the weeds here, someone please tell me and I'll just back out.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/28/1391
(e)(1):
A civil action in which a defendant is an officer or employee of the United States or any agency thereof acting in his official capacity or under color of legal authority, or an agency of the United States, or the United States, may, except as otherwise provided by law, be brought in any judicial district in which (A) a defendant in the action resides, (B) a substantial part of the events or omissions giving rise to the claim occurred, or a substantial part of property that is the subject of the action is situated, or (C) the plaintiff resides if no real property is involved in the action. Additional persons may be joined as parties to any such action in accordance with the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure and with such other venue requirements as would be applicable if the United States or one of its officers, employees, or agencies were not a party.

That's the only time I can think of it being relevant. But there might be some other rule where it applies that I can't recall.

champloo

Postby champloo » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:35 pm

MelaPela wrote:
champloo wrote:i got killed on the mixed mbe pq set 9. anyone else have trouble with this set?

It was definitely harder than the other sets. I have been getting 69-74% on the sets and ended that one at 63%. I remember a lot of the questions testing unfamiliar nuances.

relieved to hear i'm not alone.

villanovajew

Postby villanovajew » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:56 pm

champloo wrote:
MelaPela wrote:

relieved to hear i'm not alone.

Yes, Mixed MBE set 9 was hard. I started off badly and fought my way to 60% when the "goal" of course was 70%. That set tested a ton of unfair nuances that I don't think will be in the actual exam.

Traynor Brah

Postby Traynor Brah » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:16 pm

mendianne wrote:

I also have only gotten one and I'm still in like single digits on the tracker, if you want a baseline. I imagine it's a token effort so they can say in "marketing" that they personally keep you accountable, or something

cunninghat

Postby cunninghat » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:41 pm

For the MEE-specific essays, do you guys figure that having a strong grasp of the material presented in the Final Review Outlines in addition to reviewing the practice sample answers will be adequate for a decent essay? I would really rather not dig through the big outlines to learn the second-order nuances of the MEE-specific law . . . :(

ernie

Postby ernie » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:08 pm

Many obvious errors and typos in the materials. Guess you get what you pay for.

Hahalollawl

Postby Hahalollawl » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:42 am

Do you need to satisfy the jurisdictional amount requirement for a diversity claim when joining a defendant under compulsory joinder like you do for permissive joinder?

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”