TLS Adaptibar Testimonials

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
User avatar
ndbigdave

Bronze
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:25 am

TLS Adaptibar Testimonials

Postby ndbigdave » Thu May 25, 2017 11:57 am

Though I am about 1/3 of the way through Adaptibar (therefore the money is already spent) I thought it may be interesting to see if those people who have already used the program could share their thoughts - not about the features (as I am very comfortable with how it works, the information that is tracked and how quirky...shitty?...their Civ Pro questions are).

What I am most curious about is how retakers felt about the program.

What was your score your first (or second) time taking the bar without the program?
What was your score (if you know it) after using the program? (Even if you say I scored "X" and with adaptibar I scored "X+10" trying to see if there is a statistically relevant improvement. Naturally worth knowing how you prepared the first times without adaptibar to see if correlation can mean causation in this case.

I am trying to determine if Adaptibar's algorithm and statistical feedback makes the difference or if people who use it (first time takers or repeaters) actually do the questions/review answers and simply doing 1,700+ questions is the key? (Meaning people could save $365 and just buy a book of questions and do 1,7000 or so). In the case of repeaters, would actually doing the 1700 questions be significantly more than their first attempt? If not, do you attribute success to the questions being "real" or another explanation?

I read so many positive things about Adaptibar before purchasing, read the testimonials, but I would like to read more true stories of cause and effect or some "before and after" thoughts from those who have already used it - could be further support an encouragement to stay the course.

Thanks in advance

oliveoil

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon May 15, 2017 4:52 pm

Re: TLS Adaptibar Testimonials

Postby oliveoil » Thu May 25, 2017 2:01 pm

Loved Adaptibar. It totally did the job as far as I am concerned!

Failed the CA bar last July studying with Barbri. My MBE was not terrible though (scaled 140), but I didn't feel prepared for the MBE. I felt like Barbri didn't really prep me for a lot of the types of questions I saw on the MBE, especially for Civ Pro. So, I geared up to study for the February CBX and used Adaptibar. I really liked the program and worked hard to improve my MBE score, because in CA (like every bar exam) every, single point matters. I know a lot of people don't particularly like the Civ Pro questions Adaptibar has, but because they are so hard in Adaptibar I felt like the ones that were thrown at me on game day were softball pitches. Plus, by using Adaptibar the answers and explanations were really nice to help supplement my studying, and helped me also improve my writing as well.

Anyways, got the good news that I passed the February exam and my MBE was a scaled 150 or more! It sucks to study, but stay the course with Adaptibar!

LockBox

Bronze
Posts: 453
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:05 pm

Re: TLS Adaptibar Testimonials

Postby LockBox » Thu May 25, 2017 2:38 pm

The first thing that I will say is that adaptibar, much like everything else is just a tool. It doesn't guarantee success so if you do the questions mindlessly you'll still fail.

The method I used, and I used adaptibar exclusively, was to start with 50 Q in each subject (as their program recommends). After that I took a look at how well I was doing. Each day I would do 50 questions thereafter, but I would start with 10 questions from my lowest percentage subject, then another 10 from the 3 lowest scoring subjects, then the last 20 from all.

I would do this everyday. In theory, if, say, civ pro was my weakest subject, I would start with 10 civ pro questions. Hopefully I would start improving such that perhaps another category (say, real property) would become my lowest scoring subject. Then I would start the day with 10 RP questions. I felt this method attacked my weaknesses.

When I failed, I would just copy/paste the rules into a word doc. When I passed, I took each question and typed a succinct rule into my "rules" word doc - regardless of whether I got it right or wrong. Near the end, I only reviewed this doc (no outlines or anything else).

It helped. I feel like I crushed the MBE even though it was difficult.

Another tip: open an excel sheet and list your % at the end of each day. Over the course of 9 weeks you should see if there were any periods of dramatic improvement (or decline) and maybe start to think of why that happened. The point is to hold yourself accountable and practice each day.

kchitt

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 4:35 pm

Re: TLS Adaptibar Testimonials

Postby kchitt » Thu May 25, 2017 7:07 pm

PM me your email if you'd like the $30 Adaptibar discount!

User avatar
ndbigdave

Bronze
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:25 am

Re: TLS Adaptibar Testimonials

Postby ndbigdave » Tue May 30, 2017 9:34 am

Bumping this up to hear other testimonials - and not just people spamming their Adaptibar codes...

User avatar
cnk1220

Silver
Posts: 987
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:48 pm

Re: TLS Adaptibar Testimonials

Postby cnk1220 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:08 pm

I used adaptibar for my first bar exam this past Feb '17 (NY UBE) and passed with a 150 mbe. I started using adaptibar in the beginning of january and was consistently scoring around mid-60's on average with all 7 subjects, up to 70 something before exam day.

I used adaptibar in conjunction with barbri, but really felt like adaptibar's Qs were closer aligned to what I saw on exam day. Barbri's format just isn't the same as the real MBE Qs. That being said- some adaptibar Qs are outdated from the 1990s and are too easy and the civ pro section is too hard in comparison to what you'll really see on exam day, but I liked the fact adaptibar's CP Qs focused on motions/appeals/timing of motions/discovery/venue/and PJX/SMJ, however not just PJX/SMJ which IMO barbri emphasizes WAY too much.

I think adaptibar is worth the $$$, the fact patterns on some of the Qs were similar to what I saw on exam day, in fact some people have said they saw repeated fact patterns in practice and on the real exam...if you want to be familiar with the type/style of Qs or the closest you'll get to what the real mbe is like and get 1745Qs to practice with- then invest in adaptibar.

bballbb02

New
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:45 pm

Re: TLS Adaptibar Testimonials

Postby bballbb02 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:24 pm

pm for discount code

kcjlo10

New
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:49 am

Re: TLS Adaptibar Testimonials

Postby kcjlo10 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:50 pm

If anyone needs it, I can provide a $30 discount code as well. PM me if needed.

bballbb02

New
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:45 pm

Re: TLS Adaptibar Testimonials

Postby bballbb02 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:07 pm

a little concerned so far...i have only torts so far-- about 73 questions...my first 33 questions i was at 76% then i did a bunch last night (about 40) and now i am at 64%--would like it to be higher, this seems low or maybe i am just paranoid and should not freak out so much---especially because i went down a bunch in one session that was only a few questions more than my first 33--made some silly errors also last night..

User avatar
ndbigdave

Bronze
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:25 am

Re: TLS Adaptibar Testimonials

Postby ndbigdave » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:26 pm

bballbb02 wrote:a little concerned so far...i have only torts so far-- about 73 questions...my first 33 questions i was at 76% then i did a bunch last night (about 40) and now i am at 64%--would like it to be higher, this seems low or maybe i am just paranoid and should not freak out so much---especially because i went down a bunch in one session that was only a few questions more than my first 33--made some silly errors also last night..


You can always try talking to the Adaptibar team to get more specifics, but from how I understand the program and the algorithm, the program purposely finds your weaknesses and attempts to drill them the most so it isn't surprising over a long period of time the program will identify some weak areas and then give you more of that topic - which can explain a lower score.

I am not 100% certain I follow how you are using the program, but the "recommended use" is to do 50 per subject (350 total) and then using the analysis tools for those first 350 to spot your weak areas. Take a day (or more) to study those weak areas and then get through another set of 350 (which can be accomplished by doing 50 a time per subject, or doing mixed questions until you get 50 in each subject...I personally suggest the later as it mixes everything up, just like it will be on the real MBE) once through your second and third (and fourth) sets of 350 take some time to review weak areas.

As for your current accuracy - you are already in the wheel-house for success (depending on what your other subjects are like) as the goal is to get to 70% or higher, but in all honesty if you can keep yourself in the mid to upper 60%s you're on your way to passing.

The best news is there is PLENTY of time to do (and review) more questions and review subjects/subtopics before the real deal.

bballbb02

New
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:45 pm

Re: TLS Adaptibar Testimonials

Postby bballbb02 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:37 pm

ndbigdave wrote:
bballbb02 wrote:a little concerned so far...i have only torts so far-- about 73 questions...my first 33 questions i was at 76% then i did a bunch last night (about 40) and now i am at 64%--would like it to be higher, this seems low or maybe i am just paranoid and should not freak out so much---especially because i went down a bunch in one session that was only a few questions more than my first 33--made some silly errors also last night..


You can always try talking to the Adaptibar team to get more specifics, but from how I understand the program and the algorithm, the program purposely finds your weaknesses and attempts to drill them the most so it isn't surprising over a long period of time the program will identify some weak areas and then give you more of that topic - which can explain a lower score.

I am not 100% certain I follow how you are using the program, but the "recommended use" is to do 50 per subject (350 total) and then using the analysis tools for those first 350 to spot your weak areas. Take a day (or more) to study those weak areas and then get through another set of 350 (which can be accomplished by doing 50 a time per subject, or doing mixed questions until you get 50 in each subject...I personally suggest the later as it mixes everything up, just like it will be on the real MBE) once through your second and third (and fourth) sets of 350 take some time to review weak areas.

As for your current accuracy - you are already in the wheel-house for success (depending on what your other subjects are like) as the goal is to get to 70% or higher, but in all honesty if you can keep yourself in the mid to upper 60%s you're on your way to passing.

The best news is there is PLENTY of time to do (and review) more questions and review subjects/subtopics before the real deal.




Yeah they sent me the message after 50 questions that I should move on but I ignored it because I wanted to get down torts because it frustrates me..guess I should've listened,, after the first 50 I was at 70% on the dot so I went down as I did more..maybe they gave me hard ones because I didn't listen lol

peaches17

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed May 10, 2017 8:47 pm

Re: TLS Adaptibar Testimonials

Postby peaches17 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:56 am

Hi everyone! PM me your email address if anyone would like an adaptibar discount :)
Last edited by peaches17 on Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brian_Wildcat

New
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:44 pm

Re: TLS Adaptibar Testimonials

Postby Brian_Wildcat » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:28 pm

peaches17 wrote:Hi everyone! PM me if anyone would like an adaptibar discount :)


how much is the discount?

peaches17

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed May 10, 2017 8:47 pm

Re: TLS Adaptibar Testimonials

Postby peaches17 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:31 pm

Brian_Wildcat wrote:
peaches17 wrote:Hi everyone! PM me your email address if anyone would like an adaptibar discount :)


how much is the discount?


you'll get $30 off :)
Last edited by peaches17 on Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dredd16

New
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:36 pm

Re: TLS Adaptibar Testimonials

Postby dredd16 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:36 pm

I used Adaptibar when I took CBX the first time (and failed) as well as the 2nd time (and passed).

I used Barbri questions as well during my prep the first time and did about the same as on Adaptibar. I would just answer Adaptibar questions and take note as to what I got wrong and color in my understanding of BLL. Scored around 64% in practice the entire time. After taking the MBE the first time, I felt that it was hard but doable and that that Adaptibar seemed to prepare me. Ended up scoring around ~135 scaled (not good enough for CA).

Second time when using Adaptibar, I went a little step further and really reviewed the Adaptibar questions that I got right AND wrong and tried to understand why I was falling for certain answer choices (wrong element, wrong fact, etc). Scored about the same as last time in the beginning but ramped up to 70-75% in the last two months out. I walked out of the 2nd MBE take thinking it was hard as shit and I had wished that I had used some Kaplan MBE questions (heard great things from TLSers and some foreign students who seemed to use religiously and passed the first time). But I passed and ended up scoring between 145 and 150 on the MBE (got the NCBEX score advisory for $25).

I would say that it seems that the MBE has recently written their questions to be wordier and difficult that past real questions which you will see on Adaptibar. The value in using Adaptibar (or any question bank with REAL questions) is that the NCBEX will retest some of the same concepts and iterations of BLL. The questions are not testing on obscure BLL things like Barbri. I can think of a handful of instances where I was completely aware that had I not answered X question on Adaptibar, I would not know the answer on the real MBE during my 2nd time. But just because you use Adaptibar and answer every single question doesn't mean you will do well on MBE. You have to study smart and do your review. People do tend to shit on the answer explanations from Adaptibar, but they aren't terrible. Slightly above average in my opinion.

Also I liked the whole tracking %s of how you do on each subject and issues within subjects. Allows you to work on specific things that a traditional workbook might not allow so much: i.e. Mortgage questions.

champloo

Bronze
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:09 pm

Re: TLS Adaptibar Testimonials

Postby champloo » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:18 pm

are we allowed to print the exams and or question sets? i really hate taking/practicing multiple choice exams on a computer.

pointmass

New
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:52 pm

Re: TLS Adaptibar Testimonials

Postby pointmass » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:33 pm

dredd16 wrote:I used Adaptibar when I took CBX the first time (and failed) as well as the 2nd time (and passed).

I used Barbri questions as well during my prep the first time and did about the same as on Adaptibar. I would just answer Adaptibar questions and take note as to what I got wrong and color in my understanding of BLL. Scored around 64% in practice the entire time. After taking the MBE the first time, I felt that it was hard but doable and that that Adaptibar seemed to prepare me. Ended up scoring around ~135 scaled (not good enough for CA).

Second time when using Adaptibar, I went a little step further and really reviewed the Adaptibar questions that I got right AND wrong and tried to understand why I was falling for certain answer choices (wrong element, wrong fact, etc). Scored about the same as last time in the beginning but ramped up to 70-75% in the last two months out. I walked out of the 2nd MBE take thinking it was hard as shit and I had wished that I had used some Kaplan MBE questions (heard great things from TLSers and some foreign students who seemed to use religiously and passed the first time). But I passed and ended up scoring between 145 and 150 on the MBE (got the NCBEX score advisory for $25).

I would say that it seems that the MBE has recently written their questions to be wordier and difficult that past real questions which you will see on Adaptibar. The value in using Adaptibar (or any question bank with REAL questions) is that the NCBEX will retest some of the same concepts and iterations of BLL. The questions are not testing on obscure BLL things like Barbri. I can think of a handful of instances where I was completely aware that had I not answered X question on Adaptibar, I would not know the answer on the real MBE during my 2nd time. But just because you use Adaptibar and answer every single question doesn't mean you will do well on MBE. You have to study smart and do your review. People do tend to shit on the answer explanations from Adaptibar, but they aren't terrible. Slightly above average in my opinion.

Also I liked the whole tracking %s of how you do on each subject and issues within subjects. Allows you to work on specific things that a traditional workbook might not allow so much: i.e. Mortgage questions.


What's your take on BarBri MBE questions?

smileyface

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:48 am

Re: TLS Adaptibar Testimonials

Postby smileyface » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:43 pm

champloo wrote:are we allowed to print the exams and or question sets? i really hate taking/practicing multiple choice exams on a computer.



I cannot figure out a way to print the exams. But I prefer to do them on my cell phone anyway (of course this method is not a good way for prepping for the realities of the exam...)

But I figured I'd add that when you opt to take an exam in Adaptibar you can choose the topics and within the main topics you can choose which subtopics to include. Choosing all makes most sense but if you have subject areas that you have not yet studied, this feature allows you to just test the topics you've studied.

champloo

Bronze
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:09 pm

Re: TLS Adaptibar Testimonials

Postby champloo » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:21 pm

smileyface wrote:
champloo wrote:are we allowed to print the exams and or question sets? i really hate taking/practicing multiple choice exams on a computer.



I cannot figure out a way to print the exams. But I prefer to do them on my cell phone anyway (of course this method is not a good way for prepping for the realities of the exam...)

But I figured I'd add that when you opt to take an exam in Adaptibar you can choose the topics and within the main topics you can choose which subtopics to include. Choosing all makes most sense but if you have subject areas that you have not yet studied, this feature allows you to just test the topics you've studied.


hmmm doing questions on a phone sounds helpful during down times. thanks.

dredd16

New
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:36 pm

Re: TLS Adaptibar Testimonials

Postby dredd16 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:46 am

pointmass wrote:
What's your take on BarBri MBE questions?


I personally dislike them. But I know plenty of people who did only BarBri questions and scored extremely high. YMMV.

I just think that practicing real questions testing the past BLL rules is more predictive of what the NCBEX will be testing on the next MBE. BarBri just has more fluff imo. How much more fluff? I don't know.

bballbb02

New
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:45 pm

Re: TLS Adaptibar Testimonials

Postby bballbb02 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:59 pm

At 62.7% after 260 questions, being pulled down by a 54% in con law after some silly mistakes,, a little nervous.

Tiredbuthappyitsover

New
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:45 pm

Re: TLS Adaptibar Testimonials

Postby Tiredbuthappyitsover » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:17 am

Hi! I'm a successful repeater of the bar exam. The first time I took the test, I got a 125.9 on the MBE portion and I failed by a few measly points overall-I barely used Adaptibar and I had the chance to do only like 80 questions because I bought it SO late. It was definitely last minute desperation and a last ditch attempt at that point because I knew I was struggling hard with the MBE.

The second time I took the test, I used Adaptibar heavily in my prep and did about 1,000 questions from it (if not more). I got a 141 MBE the second time around, which was enough to pass with 30 points to spare. I also changed my bar prep program from Barbri to Reed Bar Review too, and Reed uses real MBE questions just like Adaptibar.

I also used the Critical Pass flashcards-they were spectacular.

Personally, I made sure to complete at least 2,000 MBE questions OVERALL, and I always did some MBE questions every day as that was my weak point. I always reviewed the questions I got wrong, and even the ones I got right to understand WHY an answer choice was correct and why the others were wrong. After all, sometimes I just guessed correctly and got the right answer, but I couldn't rely on this for the real bar exam. SO YOU HAVE TO DO VERY ANALYZED PREPARATION!

Also, I took full-length MBE exams and reviewed my mistakes. If I didn't know a rule of law or misunderstood it, I wrote it out in a notebook by subject (i.e. torts, contracts, etc.) and then reviewed those rules of law periodically.

PM me if you need an Adaptibar discount code and/or a Critical Pass discount code (add your emails in your message and I'll send to you directly).

I truly wish each of you the very best!! GO KICK BUTT! And let me know if you have any more questions :)

kcjlo10

New
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:49 am

Re: TLS Adaptibar Testimonials

Postby kcjlo10 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:14 pm

If anyone needs the discount code, feel free to pm me! :D

JimmyYam

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:07 am

Re: TLS Adaptibar Testimonials

Postby JimmyYam » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:59 am

Can I please have a discount code? Thanks!

khc19865@gmail.com



Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests