Official Kaplan July 2017 Bar Thread Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Yugihoe

Silver

Official Kaplan July 2017 Bar Thread

Post by Yugihoe » Mon May 22, 2017 11:20 pm

What up fellow Kaplan people. Not many people seem to be taking Kaplan on TLS, so figure we could set up a spot to discuss our progress through the material. First lecture starts this Wed (5/24)!!!

What state are ya'll sitting for? I'm doing UBE.
Last edited by Yugihoe on Thu May 25, 2017 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yugihoe

Silver

Re: Official Kaplan July 2017 Threat

Post by Yugihoe » Tue May 23, 2017 1:00 am

What's the point of the foundational videos in Kaplan? I.e. Why do you need to watch the torts video and do the mini review questions before the course kicks off when it looks like the course covers three whole days for torts later.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Tue May 23, 2017 1:43 am

CPAn00b wrote:What's the point of the foundational videos in Kaplan? I.e. Why do you need to watch the torts video and do the mini review questions before the course kicks off when it looks like the course covers three whole days for torts later.
I seriously don't know. I thought I was doing the foundational stuff incorrectly because I thought we would have more material than just a few slides before each practice question segment.

Yugihoe

Silver

Post by Yugihoe » Tue May 23, 2017 10:36 am

ManoftheHour wrote:
CPAn00b wrote:What's the point of the foundational videos in Kaplan? I.e. Why do you need to watch the torts video and do the mini review questions before the course kicks off when it looks like the course covers three whole days for torts later.
I seriously don't know. I thought I was doing the foundational stuff incorrectly because I thought we would have more material than just a few slides before each practice question segment.
Did you watch the lectures? I was able to get through most of the questions just by looking at the slides, so not sure if i should skip vids for all of these. I'm already behind.

jdk

New

Post by jdk » Tue May 23, 2017 12:19 pm

I would say they're a good way to gauge your memory from 1L year. If you find that you're cruising through the first video or two with no problems...that's a good sign, and I wouldn't bother devoting much if any time to the rest of the foundational material. I, on the other hand, really needed those foundational lectures to get me back up to speed across the board. Those extra ~2 weeks I spent really made the difference, especially when I consider how much better Chris Fromm was as a general lecturer for MBE topics than some of the other specific MBE subject lecturers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Tue May 23, 2017 1:13 pm

CPAn00b wrote: Did you watch the lectures? I was able to get through most of the questions just by looking at the slides, so not sure if i should skip vids for all of these. I'm already behind.
My school's finals ended last Friday and I walked on the weekend so no, I did not get through all of them. I did the Diagnostic and like two of those. I'm just going to do the rest of the foundational stuff on the weekend since it seems like we have 3 days off.

Yugihoe

Silver

Post by Yugihoe » Tue May 23, 2017 1:29 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
CPAn00b wrote: Did you watch the lectures? I was able to get through most of the questions just by looking at the slides, so not sure if i should skip vids for all of these. I'm already behind.
My school's finals ended last Friday and I walked on the weekend so no, I did not get through all of them. I did the Diagnostic and like two of those. I'm just going to do the rest of the foundational stuff on the weekend since it seems like we have 3 days off.
I got like 50% right off of the questions I did for the diagnostic. I stopped around question 80, because I wasn't seeing the utility of spending another 2 hours completing it.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Tue May 23, 2017 2:11 pm

CPAn00b wrote: I got like 50% right off of the questions I did for the diagnostic. I stopped around question 80, because I wasn't seeing the utility of spending another 2 hours completing it.
I got exactly 50% right after completing it. You're not missing out. I bombed questions for subjects that I did not take so it was kind of pointless.

Yugihoe

Silver

Post by Yugihoe » Wed May 24, 2017 10:41 am

Today's the big day! Officially lecture 1!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ric Flair

New

Post by Ric Flair » Thu May 25, 2017 10:42 am

How different is the live lectures from the pre-recorded ones? I'd rather watch the pre-recorded ones at 1.5x speed and save time if there's no real benefit.

Yugihoe

Silver

Post by Yugihoe » Thu May 25, 2017 2:50 pm

Ric Flair wrote:How different is the live lectures from the pre-recorded ones? I'd rather watch the pre-recorded ones at 1.5x speed and save time if there's no real benefit.
I watched a bit of the live one and it sucked. Seems pre-recorded is the way to go with everything being on script and efficient. 1.5x is so awesome.

Ric Flair

New

Post by Ric Flair » Thu May 25, 2017 4:36 pm

CPAn00b wrote:
Ric Flair wrote:How different is the live lectures from the pre-recorded ones? I'd rather watch the pre-recorded ones at 1.5x speed and save time if there's no real benefit.
I watched a bit of the live one and it sucked. Seems pre-recorded is the way to go with everything being on script and efficient. 1.5x is so awesome.
Thank you!

Yugihoe

Silver

Re: Official Kaplan July 2017 Bar Thread

Post by Yugihoe » Thu May 25, 2017 8:57 pm

Can someone please shed light on why there is a giant MBE practice questions & answers book. Why?

Are these questions different thann the ones in the MBE Qbank? Even if they are different, wouldn't it make sense to just do them on the computer? It seems like a pain to have to look up the question type on the capsule and then do them manually, whereas the online bank can help you select questions automatically.

I guess I just don't understand why they assign 33 questions/day from the bank and separately assign another 16 questions from the book.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Thu May 25, 2017 9:41 pm

The Crim Pro lectures are way too long.

sam_tx

New

Post by sam_tx » Fri May 26, 2017 1:18 pm

CPAn00b wrote:Can someone please shed light on why there is a giant MBE practice questions & answers book. Why?

Are these questions different thann the ones in the MBE Qbank? Even if they are different, wouldn't it make sense to just do them on the computer? It seems like a pain to have to look up the question type on the capsule and then do them manually, whereas the online bank can help you select questions automatically.

I guess I just don't understand why they assign 33 questions/day from the bank and separately assign another 16 questions from the book.
Hey CPAN00b
That's something I was wondering as well. I think you can write to your state's course coordinator, they should be able to answer this. Let us know what they say!

sam_tx

New

Post by sam_tx » Fri May 26, 2017 1:23 pm

Hi guys!
I have been seeing a lot of posts around on people suggesting supplementing bar prep courses with AdaptiBar or Critical Pass. Do you think we need any additional MBE prep materials? I am hoping to stay on track with the Kaplan timetable and complete the practice questions there but the number of people suggesting supplements are getting me worried. Any ideas or tips would be appreciated! Maybe I should just stop reading forums and not give myself the added pressure!

Yugihoe

Silver

Post by Yugihoe » Sat May 27, 2017 11:05 am

How useful was the MEE/MPT lecture from Friday? I missed it and did up to evidence so far. Wondering if I should barely watch it and skip ahead to real estate.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Yugihoe

Silver

Post by Yugihoe » Sat May 27, 2017 11:06 am

sam_tx wrote:Hi guys!
I have been seeing a lot of posts around on people suggesting supplementing bar prep courses with AdaptiBar or Critical Pass. Do you think we need any additional MBE prep materials? I am hoping to stay on track with the Kaplan timetable and complete the practice questions there but the number of people suggesting supplements are getting me worried. Any ideas or tips would be appreciated! Maybe I should just stop reading forums and not give myself the added pressure!
I don't think we need additional prep material if you do everything Kaplan provides. These prep programs are meant to overprep us IMO.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Sat May 27, 2017 3:17 pm

Checking in! (UBE)

Powered through the Diagnostic and Foundation stuff, started strong with Criminal Law, and then had graduation and immediately proceeded to get behind. :lol:

Yugihoe

Silver

Post by Yugihoe » Sat May 27, 2017 4:03 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:Checking in! (UBE)

Powered through the Diagnostic and Foundation stuff, started strong with Criminal Law, and then had graduation and immediately proceeded to get behind. :lol:
Welcome! How come yours started with Crim Law? I guess it's state specific. It started with evidence in NY (which is also UBE).

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Sat May 27, 2017 4:40 pm

CPAn00b wrote:

Welcome! How come yours started with Crim Law? I guess it's state specific. It started with evidence in NY (which is also UBE).
Not sure, I had no idea the UBE syllabi were different tbh! I'm doing AZ and it went straight from the Foundation Course into Crim + Crim Pro. From the looks of it I don't get to evidence until June 15.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ric Flair

New

Post by Ric Flair » Sat May 27, 2017 10:16 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
CPAn00b wrote:

Not sure, I had no idea the UBE syllabi were different tbh! I'm doing AZ and it went straight from the Foundation Course into Crim + Crim Pro. From the looks of it I don't get to evidence until June 15.
I'm doing WA (UBE) and it mirrored your course. I wonder why NY is different.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Sun May 28, 2017 4:10 pm

I swear these practice questions have an amazing ability to slow down time.

Also is it just me, or do the instructors sound comically slow when you put the videos at 1x after 3 hours of 1.5x? :lol:

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Tue May 30, 2017 11:38 am

I dunno about anyone else, but I found the first MPT workshop to be eh, not engaging.

Yugihoe

Silver

Post by Yugihoe » Wed May 31, 2017 7:59 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:I dunno about anyone else, but I found the first MPT workshop to be eh, not engaging.
Really? I have to go back and watch that and the MEE lectures. I skipped them and moved on to the next substantive MBE subject (which for me is real estate)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”