Help! How particular is the Patent Bar application about GPA over the minimum?

patentlawl

Help! How particular is the Patent Bar application about GPA over the minimum?

Postby patentlawl » Tue May 16, 2017 11:04 am

Has anybody else applied to sit the patent bar with a very low gpa (I'm talking 2.5). I have the classes required to qualify under category B, and enough of them with over a C- (the minimum required) that I qualify.

What I'm curious about is whether you think that they might still deny my application despite me technically making the cut. Would this happen, or is it pretty assured that I'll be pushed through for meeting the criteria? Could I append a letter regarding circumstances (significant family illness led to me dropping out after failing a few classes)? Could submitting a letter help? It took me almost ten years to graduate after leaving, so I'm already sending them significant amounts of paperwork- I need to send the course descriptions for every course in the year that I took it. That's not very easy when I snuck in a few classes a year every year, and the college split its departments in a different way halfway through into two new colleges.

Does anyone have any insight or advice for me?

yuzu

Re: Help! How particular is the Patent Bar application about GPA over the minimum?

Postby yuzu » Thu May 18, 2017 2:34 pm

I have no particular experience with this issue, but it sounds like you comply with the letter of the rules. I do not see any reference to GPA; the requirements merely state that only courses with a grade of C- or better will be accepted. As long as you meet the requirements using only those courses, I don't see how having failed other courses presents a problem.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”