Patent Bar Study Time vs. That of LSAT

conker

Patent Bar Study Time vs. That of LSAT

Postby conker » Mon May 15, 2017 12:54 pm

I'm just wondering, so I can plan ahead, what would be the expected patent bar study time, in hours, for someone who studied the LSAT for about 200 hours before getting into the 170s.

Bests

a male human

Re: Patent Bar Study Time vs. That of LSAT

Postby a male human » Mon May 15, 2017 5:47 pm

I didn't keep track, but I studied the MPEP and did all the available practice questions over 10 or so weeks, on and off, not full time.

http://www.mypatentbar.com is a great resource for keeping up to date on what questions came up.

unitball

Postby unitball » Mon May 15, 2017 11:44 pm

I spend about 2.5 months of full-time but inefficient studying to prep for the patent bar. I'm sure less than 2 months is perfectly fine if you manage your time well and do lots practice questions under time pressure.

yuzu

Postby yuzu » Thu May 18, 2017 7:43 pm

This is an apples-and-oranges comparison. LSAT prep is not really learning about substantive material but just trying to become fast and accurate. The patent bar, on the other hand, requires you to be quite familiar with a complicated, arcane set of procedural rules. It is more like studying for a state bar exam.

As for me, I took the patent bar before law school after a week of full time study and passed, although I was somewhat familiar with patent law going in. I had gone through the PLI course videos and did all the practice questions that I had at the time. I would advise a bit more time, maybe 100 hours, if you want to be safe though. Keep in mind you can look up things you don't know in the electronic MPEP if you have enough time; I finished with an hour or two to spare.

In deciding how much time to spend remember that the stakes are lower here. Nobody knows if you fail, and you can easily retake it without having to wait for another fixed administration date.

LitttUp

Postby LitttUp » Fri May 19, 2017 2:59 pm

I tracked. It took me 175 hours, with about 60 coming in the last week and a half.

redtalun

Postby redtalun » Fri May 19, 2017 6:37 pm

~150 hours w PLI, passed

engineeringthelaw

Postby engineeringthelaw » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:13 pm

Does anybody know if there is something wrong over at mypatentbar.com? It hasn't worked properly for me for over 3 weeks.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”