CA Attorney Course July 2017

mimim8
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat May 13, 2017 9:35 pm

CA Attorney Course July 2017

Postby mimim8 » Sat May 13, 2017 9:42 pm

Hi all,

I am an attorney from out of state taking the CA July 2017 Attorney exam. I'm taking the Barbri Attorney review and I am wondering if there's anyone else here taking it as well?

I took barbri before for my 1st bar, and I'm a little concerned at all the "summarizing" this time around in the Attorney course. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Good luck all!
Last edited by mimim8 on Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ThirdCharm
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:31 pm

Re: CA Attorney Course July 2017

Postby ThirdCharm » Thu May 18, 2017 2:26 pm

I took the Feb 17 Attorney exam and passed (whew!). This was actually my third State bar, and I think CA was definitely the hardest.
For the attorney's exam, you don't really need to know the detailed specifics for each and every topic.
I signed up for another company's bar exam prep course but ended up not using it at all because I realized that for the attorney exam purposes, the focus is very different. I would suggest that you go right into the essays and practice writing and reviewing them. You'll probably get a lot more out of it then just studying the subjects. Good luck!

User avatar
cnk1220
Posts: 990
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:48 pm

Re: CA Attorney Course July 2017

Postby cnk1220 » Thu May 18, 2017 3:31 pm

ThirdCharm wrote:I took the Feb 17 Attorney exam and passed (whew!). This was actually my third State bar, and I think CA was definitely the hardest.
For the attorney's exam, you don't really need to know the detailed specifics for each and every topic.
I signed up for another company's bar exam prep course but ended up not using it at all because I realized that for the attorney exam purposes, the focus is very different. I would suggest that you go right into the essays and practice writing and reviewing them. You'll probably get a lot more out of it then just studying the subjects. Good luck!



Does the CA attorney's exam require the MBE too? What is the format?

mimim8
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat May 13, 2017 9:35 pm

Re: CA Attorney Course July 2017

Postby mimim8 » Thu May 18, 2017 4:54 pm

cnk1220 wrote:
ThirdCharm wrote:I took the Feb 17 Attorney exam and passed (whew!). This was actually my third State bar, and I think CA was definitely the hardest.
For the attorney's exam, you don't really need to know the detailed specifics for each and every topic.
I signed up for another company's bar exam prep course but ended up not using it at all because I realized that for the attorney exam purposes, the focus is very different. I would suggest that you go right into the essays and practice writing and reviewing them. You'll probably get a lot more out of it then just studying the subjects. Good luck!



Does the CA attorney's exam require the MBE too? What is the format?



CA Attorney exam is just a one day exam. You take the essay and PT portion and skip the MBE.

mimim8
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat May 13, 2017 9:35 pm

Re: CA Attorney Course July 2017

Postby mimim8 » Thu May 18, 2017 5:00 pm

ThirdCharm wrote:I took the Feb 17 Attorney exam and passed (whew!). This was actually my third State bar, and I think CA was definitely the hardest.
For the attorney's exam, you don't really need to know the detailed specifics for each and every topic.
I signed up for another company's bar exam prep course but ended up not using it at all because I realized that for the attorney exam purposes, the focus is very different. I would suggest that you go right into the essays and practice writing and reviewing them. You'll probably get a lot more out of it then just studying the subjects. Good luck!


Interesting. Good to hear from someone that was successful! I'll definitely focus on essays more. I guess I was mostly worried because in my previous bar, Florida, I didn't practice essays at all, and relied mostly on my MBE prep to carry me through (plus the FL distinctions).

Thanks!

sittin_pretty
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:27 pm

Re: CA Attorney Course July 2017

Postby sittin_pretty » Sat May 20, 2017 11:53 am

Yeah, I just passed the Cali bar exam on 1st try (February) as an attorney and used BarBri materials. They didn't seem particularly tailored toward the atty exam since they included all the MBE materials as well, unless BarBri screwed up when they put my course together. So basically I found that I wasted time when I did the multiple choice questions, even though they suggested them for me. I did however memorize the outlines and elements in detail, which I certainly don't think hurt me on the essays.
I found that having practiced for 20 years I had no need whatsoever to practice the performance test... it's just standard legal writing from a set of facts and a set of laws. I aced two practice ones and stopped doing those, just focusing on essay questions.

mimim8
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat May 13, 2017 9:35 pm

Re: CA Attorney Course July 2017

Postby mimim8 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:05 pm

sittin_pretty wrote:Yeah, I just passed the Cali bar exam on 1st try (February) as an attorney and used BarBri materials. They didn't seem particularly tailored toward the atty exam since they included all the MBE materials as well, unless BarBri screwed up when they put my course together. So basically I found that I wasted time when I did the multiple choice questions, even though they suggested them for me. I did however memorize the outlines and elements in detail, which I certainly don't think hurt me on the essays.
I found that having practiced for 20 years I had no need whatsoever to practice the performance test... it's just standard legal writing from a set of facts and a set of laws. I aced two practice ones and stopped doing those, just focusing on essay questions.


just seeing this. I do agree about the Barbri course not feeling very tailored toward the Atty Exam. I would at least think they'd let us submit more essays for grading.

I was beginning to wonder as to the value of doing MCs - i guess that clears it up.

I find that I am fairing well on the PT's (I've done 2)- although I do struggle with time and find myself rushing at the end- but timing is my problem all throughout the bar exam so I guess I have to improve on that all around.

Thanks for your reply!

erickucla
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:40 pm

Re: CA Attorney Course July 2017

Postby erickucla » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:47 pm

10 year lawyer here. I started with the barbri materials, which cost my firm $3000. i thought the barbri materials sucks for the attorneys exam - simply too much info and lots of info that was for the MBE. Not enough materials tailored for the essay only course. i did find helpful the sample essay questions book.

After 3 days, I gave up and looked for other resources. I found that Smart Bar Prep was amazing. They essentially take all the most used rules and least used rules and combines it into a simple outline for you. I relied solely on these rules for making flash cards. Next, I subscribed for baressays - and simply downloaded all the past exams for the the past 10plus years.

I studied for 1 month and 10 days. each day i would do two subjects. I would first make flashcards for each subject, by simply copying down the smart bar prep rule, etc. Then I would use practice the essays. practicing essays is the most important part - because you start to see a pattern of things they test the most on.

Smart bar prep was only 200 bucks? Bar essays was the same I think - 200 bucks?

Anyways, PM me if you want my materials.




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: krispymenudo, twinfinn and 6 guests