Buffalo v. Albany for New York Bar Exam

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
FedFan123

New

Buffalo v. Albany for New York Bar Exam

Postby FedFan123 » Wed May 10, 2017 5:36 pm

So I was going to wait to book flight and hotel until getting the email from BOLE about availabilities, but they are taking forever so I guess I am going to go ahead and book now. Would like to hear from people the pros/cons of both locations, and which they think is best. Cost isn't a consideration since it is paid for by the firm. More interested in factors such as convenience and low stress levels for taking the exam.

Here are the sites: BUFFALO:

Buffalo-Niagara Convention Center
153 Franklin Street, Buffalo, NY 14202

ALBANY:

Empire State Plaza Convention Hall
Concourse Level, Albany, NY 12242

Albany Capital Center
55 Eagle St, Albany, NY 12207

Thanks for any feedback!

happyhour1122

Silver

Re: Buffalo v. Albany for New York Bar Exam

Postby happyhour1122 » Wed May 10, 2017 6:43 pm

FedFan123 wrote:So I was going to wait to book flight and hotel until getting the email from BOLE about availabilities, but they are taking forever so I guess I am going to go ahead and book now. Would like to hear from people the pros/cons of both locations, and which they think is best. Cost isn't a consideration since it is paid for by the firm. More interested in factors such as convenience and low stress levels for taking the exam.

Here are the sites: BUFFALO:

Buffalo-Niagara Convention Center
153 Franklin Street, Buffalo, NY 14202

ALBANY:

Empire State Plaza Convention Hall
Concourse Level, Albany, NY 12242

Albany Capital Center
55 Eagle St, Albany, NY 12207

Thanks for any feedback!

I took it at Albany because (Airbnb and the plane ticket was cheaper). My best friend took it at Buffalo because everything is new-er.
We both loved our exam site. I suggest you go with whichever is cheaper for you to stay.
It really doesn't matter where you take your exam. I understand the frustration, but I suggest you go with where the cheaper place.

dehaven

New

Postby dehaven » Wed May 10, 2017 6:45 pm

Buffalo was lovely.

cnk1220

Silver

Postby cnk1220 » Wed May 10, 2017 7:11 pm

I took it in albany- empire state convention center. Overall great experience, food court was right next to the testing rooms and they had au bon pain as a nice option.

FedFan123

New

Postby FedFan123 » Wed May 10, 2017 8:03 pm

Thanks for the responses. Price isn't a factor because the firm is paying for flight and hotel. I'm pissed because the hotels that are connected to the convention center for both Albany and Buffalo are completely booked. I would have liked to stay right next door as that is most convenient. Do people think that there will be cancellations and that I will be able to get a spot there once people register for their location?

dehaven

New

Postby dehaven » Wed May 10, 2017 11:14 pm

FedFan123 wrote:Thanks for the responses. Price isn't a factor because the firm is paying for flight and hotel. I'm pissed because the hotels that are connected to the convention center for both Albany and Buffalo are completely booked. I would have liked to stay right next door as that is most convenient. Do people think that there will be cancellations and that I will be able to get a spot there once people register for their location?

Are you sure rooms are booked this early? There are TONS of hotels literally within feet of the Buffalo testing site. And then there's a lot more a little further away. Pretty sure there's still openings but if not, AirbnB is probably your best bet. FWIW, also heard good things about Saratoga.

ndp1234

Bronze

Postby ndp1234 » Thu May 11, 2017 9:45 pm

FedFan123 wrote:Thanks for the responses. Price isn't a factor because the firm is paying for flight and hotel. I'm pissed because the hotels that are connected to the convention center for both Albany and Buffalo are completely booked. I would have liked to stay right next door as that is most convenient. Do people think that there will be cancellations and that I will be able to get a spot there once people register for their location?

I would just like to add that DO NOT depend on the Albany taxi service, it's notoriously awful and there is no Lyft/Uber here because of legal restrictions.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�