deleted

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
drive

New

deleted

Postby drive » Tue May 09, 2017 7:54 pm

Deleted
Last edited by drive on Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

rcharter1978

Gold

Re: Should I take the CA or NY bar? HELP!

Postby rcharter1978 » Wed May 10, 2017 12:48 am

The MBE would be the same, as would the MBE subjects for essay writing. I'm thinking there are like 4-5 non-MBE subjects that are tested on the CBX for the essays (wills&trusts, community property, ca evidence, ca civ pro, professional responsibility) which I dont think is really that much more to learn.

I would say take the CBX, starting July '17 the MBE will be worth 50%. You'll get 5 essays and a PT, even if you're not super strong on the CA subjects, it seems unlikely you'd get all of those subjects. Especially since they have recently tested CA Civ Pro, and CA Evidence.

They did a Civ Pro question in July '16, and a CA Civ Pro question Feb '17. I can't see them doing one again in July, but thats just me. They did California Evidence in Feb '16, and I think they did an evidence question recently as well (I can't remember). So you might be up for an evidence question, but if you crush your PT, it should forgive that score.

lakers180

Bronze

Postby lakers180 » Wed May 10, 2017 12:53 am

are you registered?

as a practical concern the ny bar deadline is passed for july 17

keepgoing2016

New

Postby keepgoing2016 » Wed May 10, 2017 3:27 am

I'd say retake NY as you were ever so close. I believe the deadline for retakers is today (10th May).

Spartan_Alum_12

Bronze

Postby Spartan_Alum_12 » Wed May 10, 2017 2:55 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:The MBE would be the same, as would the MBE subjects for essay writing. I'm thinking there are like 4-5 non-MBE subjects that are tested on the CBX for the essays (wills&trusts, community property, ca evidence, ca civ pro, professional responsibility) which I dont think is really that much more to learn.

I would say take the CBX, starting July '17 the MBE will be worth 50%. You'll get 5 essays and a PT, even if you're not super strong on the CA subjects, it seems unlikely you'd get all of those subjects. Especially since they have recently tested CA Civ Pro, and CA Evidence.

They did a Civ Pro question in July '16, and a CA Civ Pro question Feb '17. I can't see them doing one again in July, but thats just me. They did California Evidence in Feb '16, and I think they did an evidence question recently as well (I can't remember). So you might be up for an evidence question, but if you crush your PT, it should forgive that score.

Actually, CA Civ Pro was tested in July '16 (the exam I took). I think Evidence was tested in Feb '17 (not sure if it was CA Evidence).

SFSpartan

Silver

Postby SFSpartan » Wed May 10, 2017 3:33 pm

Spartan_Alum_12 wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:The MBE would be the same, as would the MBE subjects for essay writing. I'm thinking there are like 4-5 non-MBE subjects that are tested on the CBX for the essays (wills&trusts, community property, ca evidence, ca civ pro, professional responsibility) which I dont think is really that much more to learn.

Actually, CA Civ Pro was tested in July '16 (the exam I took). I think Evidence was tested in Feb '17 (not sure if it was CA Evidence).

I think rCharter's point was that they have recently tested CA subjects, and generally take a cycle or two off from testing CA law on that same topic.

Also- assuming you're an MSU alum - nice to see a fellow Spartan in CA

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�