Adaptibar user hangout - July 2017

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
RaceJudicata

Gold
Posts: 1680
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:51 pm

Re: Adaptibar user hangout - July 2017

Postby RaceJudicata » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:50 am

bda wrote:I assume some of you are doing Barbri in conjunction with Adaptibar--how do your scores compare?

I was under the impression Barbri's questions were harder (to scare you into overstudying) but I'm sitting at 75% correct on Barbri's Study Smart and about 65% on Adaptibar. I'm about 400 questions in.


Having the opposite experience. Granted, not as big of a gap. Around 62% on barbri; 68% on adaptibar.

User avatar
lolabear727

Bronze
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:07 pm

Re: Adaptibar user hangout - July 2017

Postby lolabear727 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:03 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
WestWingWatcher wrote:
I'm 50% MBE as well (NY). I have been looking and failing to find what percentage of MBE you need to get right in order to still pass despite flubbing the essays, glad to hear 70%+ is pretty credited!


My understanding is 70% raw is probably around 150 scaled, give or take. For most states, that's probably enough that you can do well below average on the essays and still pass.



I thought it was around 140 scaled?

User avatar
TheSpanishMain

Gold
Posts: 4743
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: Adaptibar user hangout - July 2017

Postby TheSpanishMain » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:05 pm

lolabear727 wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
WestWingWatcher wrote:
I'm 50% MBE as well (NY). I have been looking and failing to find what percentage of MBE you need to get right in order to still pass despite flubbing the essays, glad to hear 70%+ is pretty credited!


My understanding is 70% raw is probably around 150 scaled, give or take. For most states, that's probably enough that you can do well below average on the essays and still pass.



I thought it was around 140 scaled?


I don't think so. 140 raw would be 70%. I was probably being too conservative when I said that 70% raw = 150 scaled. My understanding is that the scaling usually adds around 15, so a 70% raw is probably a 155ish. Someone else chime in though if I'm screwing this up.

RaceJudicata wrote:
bda wrote:I assume some of you are doing Barbri in conjunction with Adaptibar--how do your scores compare?

I was under the impression Barbri's questions were harder (to scare you into overstudying) but I'm sitting at 75% correct on Barbri's Study Smart and about 65% on Adaptibar. I'm about 400 questions in.


Having the opposite experience. Granted, not as big of a gap. Around 62% on barbri; 68% on adaptibar.


Yeah, I'm at 65% on Barbri, 69% on Adaptibar.

User avatar
lolabear727

Bronze
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:07 pm

Re: Adaptibar user hangout - July 2017

Postby lolabear727 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:09 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
WestWingWatcher wrote:
I'm 50% MBE as well (NY). I have been looking and failing to find what percentage of MBE you need to get right in order to still pass despite flubbing the essays, glad to hear 70%+ is pretty credited!


My understanding is 70% raw is probably around 150 scaled, give or take. For most states, that's probably enough that you can do well below average on the essays and still pass.



I thought it was around 140 scaled?


I don't think so. 140 raw would be 70%. I was probably being too conservative when I said that 70% raw = 150 scaled. My understanding is that the scaling usually adds around 15, so a 70% raw is probably a 155ish. Someone else chime in though if I'm screwing this up.

RaceJudicata wrote:
bda wrote:I assume some of you are doing Barbri in conjunction with Adaptibar--how do your scores compare?

I was under the impression Barbri's questions were harder (to scare you into overstudying) but I'm sitting at 75% correct on Barbri's Study Smart and about 65% on Adaptibar. I'm about 400 questions in.


Having the opposite experience. Granted, not as big of a gap. Around 62% on barbri; 68% on adaptibar.


Yeah, I'm at 65% on Barbri, 69% on Adaptibar.


Well that is good to know. Although I was hitting about 76% on AB in most subjects when I took FL and walked away with a 140 scaled... That was also the first testing of Civ Pro.

User avatar
TheSpanishMain

Gold
Posts: 4743
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: Adaptibar user hangout - July 2017

Postby TheSpanishMain » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:36 pm

lolabear727 wrote:Well that is good to know. Although I was hitting about 76% on AB in most subjects when I took FL and walked away with a 140 scaled... That was also the first testing of Civ Pro.


Well, that's concerning. How did the 140 scaled line up with your Barbri numbers, if you took Barbri?

User avatar
lolabear727

Bronze
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:07 pm

Re: Adaptibar user hangout - July 2017

Postby lolabear727 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:52 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:Well that is good to know. Although I was hitting about 76% on AB in most subjects when I took FL and walked away with a 140 scaled... That was also the first testing of Civ Pro.


Well, that's concerning. How did the 140 scaled line up with your Barbri numbers, if you took Barbri?


I was scoring higher on Barbri in the early stages. Then I stopped doing Barbri MPQ and just stuck with AB at the end.

User avatar
TheSpanishMain

Gold
Posts: 4743
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: Adaptibar user hangout - July 2017

Postby TheSpanishMain » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:42 pm

lolabear727 wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:Well that is good to know. Although I was hitting about 76% on AB in most subjects when I took FL and walked away with a 140 scaled... That was also the first testing of Civ Pro.


Well, that's concerning. How did the 140 scaled line up with your Barbri numbers, if you took Barbri?


I was scoring higher on Barbri in the early stages. Then I stopped doing Barbri MPQ and just stuck with AB at the end.


Did you pass FL, if you don't mind my asking?

ConfusedL1

Bronze
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:53 pm

Re: Adaptibar user hangout - July 2017

Postby ConfusedL1 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:04 pm

Supplementing with BARBRI. Have done over 1200 questions and MAN is stuff getting harder. I'll have days where I'll do 30 and be %85 and other days be low %69. Anyone else having the same experience? I guess the good part is that I STILL feel like I'm learning the law; simply missing a question bc I misread or couldn't remember the law is much rarer.

Anyone else in this position?

User avatar
lolabear727

Bronze
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:07 pm

Re: Adaptibar user hangout - July 2017

Postby lolabear727 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:15 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:Well that is good to know. Although I was hitting about 76% on AB in most subjects when I took FL and walked away with a 140 scaled... That was also the first testing of Civ Pro.


Well, that's concerning. How did the 140 scaled line up with your Barbri numbers, if you took Barbri?


I was scoring higher on Barbri in the early stages. Then I stopped doing Barbri MPQ and just stuck with AB at the end.


Did you pass FL, if you don't mind my asking?



Yep! The first time I failed by 1 point. :oops: :oops: :oops: but the second time I passed by way more than I needed and I improved my MBE score by 9 points. I made sure to hit at least 900 AB questions. This go round I'm trying to hit at least 1400, but I think that I'm better at writing, so that might not be the best plan. I have always performed poorly on MC questions. Doesn't matter what test it is. I'm also 3 years out from FL. So I'm a little rusty.

wwwcol

Bronze
Posts: 306
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:57 am

Re: Adaptibar user hangout - July 2017

Postby wwwcol » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:54 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
WestWingWatcher wrote:
I'm 50% MBE as well (NY). I have been looking and failing to find what percentage of MBE you need to get right in order to still pass despite flubbing the essays, glad to hear 70%+ is pretty credited!


My understanding is 70% raw is probably around 150 scaled, give or take. For most states, that's probably enough that you can do well below average on the essays and still pass.



I thought it was around 140 scaled?


I don't think so. 140 raw would be 70%. I was probably being too conservative when I said that 70% raw = 150 scaled. My understanding is that the scaling usually adds around 15, so a 70% raw is probably a 155ish. Someone else chime in though if I'm screwing this up.

RaceJudicata wrote:
bda wrote:I assume some of you are doing Barbri in conjunction with Adaptibar--how do your scores compare?

I was under the impression Barbri's questions were harder (to scare you into overstudying) but I'm sitting at 75% correct on Barbri's Study Smart and about 65% on Adaptibar. I'm about 400 questions in.


Having the opposite experience. Granted, not as big of a gap. Around 62% on barbri; 68% on adaptibar.


Yeah, I'm at 65% on Barbri, 69% on Adaptibar.


To add another data point and relieve some pressure for y'all, I averaged ~75% on Adaptibar in the last month before the bar and scored 170 on the MBE. Based on my experience and talking to a couple friends, I strongly suspect a 70-75% Adaptibar percentage (if you perform similarly on test day) is an autopass in any state that weights the MBE 40% or more.

S0M21L

New
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:02 pm

Re: Adaptibar user hangout - July 2017

Postby S0M21L » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:54 pm

wwwcol wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
WestWingWatcher wrote:
I'm 50% MBE as well (NY). I have been looking and failing to find what percentage of MBE you need to get right in order to still pass despite flubbing the essays, glad to hear 70%+ is pretty credited!


My understanding is 70% raw is probably around 150 scaled, give or take. For most states, that's probably enough that you can do well below average on the essays and still pass.



I thought it was around 140 scaled?


I don't think so. 140 raw would be 70%. I was probably being too conservative when I said that 70% raw = 150 scaled. My understanding is that the scaling usually adds around 15, so a 70% raw is probably a 155ish. Someone else chime in though if I'm screwing this up.

RaceJudicata wrote:
bda wrote:I assume some of you are doing Barbri in conjunction with Adaptibar--how do your scores compare?

I was under the impression Barbri's questions were harder (to scare you into overstudying) but I'm sitting at 75% correct on Barbri's Study Smart and about 65% on Adaptibar. I'm about 400 questions in.


Having the opposite experience. Granted, not as big of a gap. Around 62% on barbri; 68% on adaptibar.


Yeah, I'm at 65% on Barbri, 69% on Adaptibar.


To add another data point and relieve some pressure for y'all, I averaged ~75% on Adaptibar in the last month before the bar and scored 170 on the MBE. Based on my experience and talking to a couple friends, I strongly suspect a 70-75% Adaptibar percentage (if you perform similarly on test day) is an autopass in any state that weights the MBE 40% or more.


Did you study with Adaptibar's questions exclusively for the MBE?

User avatar
TheSpanishMain

Gold
Posts: 4743
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: Adaptibar user hangout - July 2017

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:19 am

lolabear727 wrote:

Yep! The first time I failed by 1 point. :oops: :oops: :oops: but the second time I passed by way more than I needed and I improved my MBE score by 9 points. I made sure to hit at least 900 AB questions. This go round I'm trying to hit at least 1400, but I think that I'm better at writing, so that might not be the best plan. I have always performed poorly on MC questions. Doesn't matter what test it is. I'm also 3 years out from FL. So I'm a little rusty.


Any idea why you were killing it on Adaptibar and then dipped on the actual MBE? Test day nerves? Or did you feel like the questions were harder? Just curious.

nmic

New
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:55 pm

Re: Adaptibar user hangout - July 2017

Postby nmic » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:04 pm

I got Adaptibar pretty late in the game (to supplement Barbri). I just finished the first set of 350 questions and am sitting at an average of 62.9%, with Civ Pro and Contracts weighing me down substantially. How worried should I be? I was expecting at least over 65% and now I'm feeling so disappointed and, honestly, terrified.

barkschool

Silver
Posts: 957
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:05 am

Re: Adaptibar user hangout - July 2017

Postby barkschool » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:06 pm

nmic wrote:I got Adaptibar pretty late in the game (to supplement Barbri). I just finished the first set of 350 questions and am sitting at an average of 62.9%, with Civ Pro and Contracts weighing me down substantially. How worried should I be? I was expecting at least over 65% and now I'm feeling so disappointed and, honestly, terrified.


look at last year's thread, people were much lower (58-60) deep into July, still passed.

User avatar
lolabear727

Bronze
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:07 pm

Re: Adaptibar user hangout - July 2017

Postby lolabear727 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:31 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:

Yep! The first time I failed by 1 point. :oops: :oops: :oops: but the second time I passed by way more than I needed and I improved my MBE score by 9 points. I made sure to hit at least 900 AB questions. This go round I'm trying to hit at least 1400, but I think that I'm better at writing, so that might not be the best plan. I have always performed poorly on MC questions. Doesn't matter what test it is. I'm also 3 years out from FL. So I'm a little rusty.


Any idea why you were killing it on Adaptibar and then dipped on the actual MBE? Test day nerves? Or did you feel like the questions were harder? Just curious.


I'm sure it was a little bit of nerves. But also, the questions for Civ Pro were all conjecture. They were not past released questions. So we really had no idea how those questions were going to be tested. So I hit them a lot more with Barbri, b/c I felt like both BarBri and AB had no idea equally. I'm sure that didn't help and honestly I'll never know b/c they don't tell you what you got right and wrong.

GGMcSwift

New
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:19 am

Re: Adaptibar user hangout - July 2017

Postby GGMcSwift » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:44 pm

I am using AB in conjunction with Barbri but I mostly skip the Barbri questions. I'm at 69.6% after 690 questions, so I'm feeling ok. For the most part my percentage has gone up, but I think it will be hard for it to go up much higher and it may go back down. I'm noticing that even though I'm learning more, the questions are getting harder. I think AB's system programs the first 500 questions or so to be among their easiest and they get increasingly more difficult. Just speculation though. Property is easily my weakest subject though that has increased steadily so hopefully I'm improving there.

Yesterday for fun I took the first set of 50 mixed subject questions in the BarBri MBE book under exam conditions and got 41/50 so 82%. I was quite surprised since I too have heard that Barbri is harder than AB. But anyway, I am awful at the essays and MPT so very much hoping to be at 70% on MBE on exam day, which given my progress so far I think is attainable.

barkschool

Silver
Posts: 957
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:05 am

Re: Adaptibar user hangout - July 2017

Postby barkschool » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:54 pm

lolabear727 wrote:.


any interest in adding a poll for progress/ or %'s


mostly so we can be motivated by other peoples humblebrags

RaceJudicata

Gold
Posts: 1680
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:51 pm

Re: Adaptibar user hangout - July 2017

Postby RaceJudicata » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:09 pm

GGMcSwift wrote:I am using AB in conjunction with Barbri but I mostly skip the Barbri questions. I'm at 69.6% after 690 questions, so I'm feeling ok. For the most part my percentage has gone up, but I think it will be hard for it to go up much higher and it may go back down. I'm noticing that even though I'm learning more, the questions are getting harder. I think AB's system programs the first 500 questions or so to be among their easiest and they get increasingly more difficult. Just speculation though. Property is easily my weakest subject though that has increased steadily so hopefully I'm improving there.

Yesterday for fun I took the first set of 50 mixed subject questions in the BarBri MBE book under exam conditions and got 41/50 so 82%.
I was quite surprised since I too have heard that Barbri is harder than AB. But anyway, I am awful at the essays and MPT so very much hoping to be at 70% on MBE on exam day, which given my progress so far I think is attainable.


Bolded is really, really good. You are gonna be just fine!!

ETA: Although, I disagree with your definition of fun :P

GGMcSwift

New
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:19 am

Re: Adaptibar user hangout - July 2017

Postby GGMcSwift » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:13 pm

The big difference I've noticed btwn AB questions and Barbri is that lots of times I can get the answer right on Barbri just by eliminating the other 3. That is, the other 3 can't possibly be right so I just pick the one that seems like it could be even though I'm not sure.

On AB (and I guess the actual bar), there are always 2 answers that seem like they could be right, and it comes down to you knowing the rule of law.

wwwcol

Bronze
Posts: 306
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:57 am

Re: Adaptibar user hangout - July 2017

Postby wwwcol » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:54 pm

S0M21L wrote:
wwwcol wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
WestWingWatcher wrote:
I'm 50% MBE as well (NY). I have been looking and failing to find what percentage of MBE you need to get right in order to still pass despite flubbing the essays, glad to hear 70%+ is pretty credited!


My understanding is 70% raw is probably around 150 scaled, give or take. For most states, that's probably enough that you can do well below average on the essays and still pass.



I thought it was around 140 scaled?


I don't think so. 140 raw would be 70%. I was probably being too conservative when I said that 70% raw = 150 scaled. My understanding is that the scaling usually adds around 15, so a 70% raw is probably a 155ish. Someone else chime in though if I'm screwing this up.

RaceJudicata wrote:
bda wrote:I assume some of you are doing Barbri in conjunction with Adaptibar--how do your scores compare?

I was under the impression Barbri's questions were harder (to scare you into overstudying) but I'm sitting at 75% correct on Barbri's Study Smart and about 65% on Adaptibar. I'm about 400 questions in.


Having the opposite experience. Granted, not as big of a gap. Around 62% on barbri; 68% on adaptibar.


Yeah, I'm at 65% on Barbri, 69% on Adaptibar.


To add another data point and relieve some pressure for y'all, I averaged ~75% on Adaptibar in the last month before the bar and scored 170 on the MBE. Based on my experience and talking to a couple friends, I strongly suspect a 70-75% Adaptibar percentage (if you perform similarly on test day) is an autopass in any state that weights the MBE 40% or more.


Did you study with Adaptibar's questions exclusively for the MBE?


A combo of Adaptibar and Critical Pass flashcards

Lawyerinwaiting89

Bronze
Posts: 113
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:53 am

Re: Adaptibar user hangout - July 2017

Postby Lawyerinwaiting89 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:09 am

I don't know if this will ease anyone's nerves who isn't scoring above 65% (yet). But just keep in mind that it's obviously an excellent goal to score as high as possible on the MBE because it can be your cushion. But that's not necessarily practicable for every person. Some people, despite however much MBE practice he/she does, does not seem to kill the MBE. If that's you, don't panic. Chances are you're the better essay/MPT writer. Using supplements like Adaptibar are an awesome tool, and you'll definitely see improvement, but if you know deep down that you're still more likely to write pretty good essays and MPTs, don't neglect that. Because just as a strong MBE score can save you, so can a strong writing score. This is especially true in UBE jurisdictions where the score breakdown is 50% MBE / 50% writing. I took the UBE for the first time time in February 2017 and knew from the get-go that the MBE was not going to be my strong suit. (I scored a 127.3 in July 2017 taking a different state's exam). Granted, I knew that I needed to improve, but even with that low of a score the first time I was still only a couple of points from passing because my writing scores were above average. So when I opted to study for the UBE, I almost exclusively used Emmanuel's book to learn some strategies for the MBE and just read outlines for BLL. I didn't buy Adaptibar because I made a 'business decision' to try to raise my MBE score just enough so that with above-average essays/MPTs I would be in good shape. I knew that my time was better spent honing BLL and reading past essays because I had a good chance of excelling on those. In the end, I read the entire Emmanuel book but probably did no more than 250 or 300 MBE questions. (I was also working full-time and had to make strategic concessions. I wanted do more but really couldn't based on how I designed my study schedule and priorities). In the end, my MBE score was only a 137.4 and I ended up with a 281 overall UBE score in a jurisdiction where I only needed a 266. So, clearly, my emphasis worked and my essays and MPTs were above average. I wanted to raise my MBE score just enough to feel safe knowing that my writing score would be higher. That 10 point jump from a pretty bad score to an average score was what I needed. (Also keep in mind that the mean February 2017 MBE score across the nation was the lowest it has been in history - a whopping 134).

Long story short, know thyself! Keep doing MBE questions and using Adaptibar (I got it this go-around for a different state and think it's super helpful). But if you're not someone as quickly seeing high scores, make strategic decisions on where to best use your time. This is especially true for people who are not studying full-time.

NYC2012

Bronze
Posts: 270
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:47 am

Re: Adaptibar user hangout - July 2017

Postby NYC2012 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:46 pm

.
Last edited by NYC2012 on Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
WestWingWatcher

Bronze
Posts: 176
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:08 pm

Re: Adaptibar user hangout - July 2017

Postby WestWingWatcher » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:05 pm

NYC2012 wrote:Doing well on Barbri questions, was 90th percentile on the simulated MBE. Only getting about 61% correct on Adaptibar. This makes me extremely nervous.


That's interesting. I usually do worse on Barbri problem sets than Adaptibar, but for the simulated MBE I got exactly the same percent correct as Adaptibar has me getting.

Regardless, you got 75% right on the simulated MBE so I wouldn't be too concerned!

RaceJudicata

Gold
Posts: 1680
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:51 pm

Re: Adaptibar user hangout - July 2017

Postby RaceJudicata » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:23 pm

NYC2012 wrote:Doing well on Barbri questions, was 90th percentile on the simulated MBE. Only getting about 61% correct on Adaptibar. This makes me extremely nervous.


Somewhat similar situation. Was doing better on Adaptibar before the Simulated MBE. 91st percentile on MBE sim, and now can't help but feeling that I got 'lucky' and made some strong guesses. Feel like my score could have EASILY been 20 points less.

...probably just imposter syndrome.

NYC2012

Bronze
Posts: 270
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:47 am

Re: Adaptibar user hangout - July 2017

Postby NYC2012 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:28 pm

.
Last edited by NYC2012 on Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.



Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Allux and 18 guests