Adaptibar user hangout - July 2017 Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Brobot

New

Re: Adaptibar user hangout - July 2017

Post by Brobot » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:32 pm

bballbb02 wrote:
barkschool wrote:
bballbb02 wrote:Can someone please explain what exactly happens after our first 350 questions?? Do we have to choose what subjects to test and will the program automatically feed our weakest areas??
If you select all questions, the program reasonably feeds you your weaker subjects and subtopics—hence the feeling of walking up a muddy hill.

Can anyone offer any experience regarding whether they purposely only select their weaker subjects?

So if I choose about 3 subjects it will feed me questions in my weaker subtopics??
I do not recommend Adaptibar.

[Previous post edited after being contacted by Adaptibar.]
Last edited by Brobot on Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

S0M21L

New

Post by S0M21L » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:52 pm

Good Evening, All!

If any users would like to share their percentage correct on Adaptibar and their actual MBE scores, this would help me correlate the relationship between this resource and the actual MBE exam. Thank you for considering it! :-)

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:54 pm

S0M21L wrote:Good Evening, All!

If any users would like to share their percentage correct on Adaptibar and their actual MBE scores, this would help me correlate the relationship between this resource and the actual MBE exam. Thank you for considering it! :-)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

thanks for volunteering to put this all together

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:18 pm

Generally once you complete the "diagnostic" 350 it will have a better understanding of your weaker subjects and subtopics within those. So once you start doing mixed sets it will know to feed you more of the ones you got wrong initially.

*I do not work for AB, I have just used it for every bar that I have taken and I say it's way better to have it than not have it!*

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:52 pm

How many questions has everyone done? I'm at like 430, bouncing between 68-71%.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bass

New

Post by Bass » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:30 pm

I would be so grateful if I could get an explanation on the question below please. How exactly was the tolling statute not complied with? 8)
[+] Spoiler
QUESTION
# 1631 / Civil Procedure / Law Applied by Federal Courts
You answered B. The correct answer is A.
EXPLANATION:
A is correct. Under the Erie doctrine, in a diversity action, a federal court must apply the substantive law of the state. The Supreme Court has established that statutes of limitations and rules for tolling statutes of limitations are substantive for Erie doctrine purposes. Therefore, in this case, State A law applies.

B is incorrect. The Supreme Court has established that statutes of limitations and rules for tolling statutes of limitations are substantive for Erie doctrine purposes. The Federal Rules of Civil Procedure provide that an action is "commenced" by filing the complaint, such commencement of the lawsuit does not toll the statute of limitations in diversity cases.

C is incorrect. The Federal Rules of Civil Procedure are applicable in diversity questions. However, the Rules do not address the question of when a state's statute of limitations is tolled. Moreover, the Supreme Court has established that statutes of limitations and rules for tolling statutes of limitations are substantive for Erie doctrine purposes.

D is incorrect. The Supreme Court has established that statutes of limitations and rules for tolling statutes of limitations are substantive for Erie doctrine purposes; see also the explanation as to why answer C is incorrect.

A patient, a citizen of State A, brings a tort claim in State A federal court based on diversity against a cardiologist, located in State B. Federal Rules of Civil Procedure state that "[a] civil action is commenced by filing a complaint with the court." Tort claims have a three year statute of limitations under State A law, and a State A statute provides that statutes of limitations are tolled when service of process is made on the defendant. The patient's tort claim arose on January 5, 2005. The patient filed his lawsuit with the court on January 5, 2008, but the cardiologist was not served until January 15, 2008.

Which of the following is true?

A. The patient's claim was not timely filed because it did not comply with State A's tolling statute.
B. The patient's claim was timely because the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, not state law, apply and the action was "commenced" on January 5, 2008.
C. The patient's claim is time-barred because the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure are not applicable because this is a diversity action.
D. The patient's claim is not time-barred; State A law is not applicable because this is a diversity action, and the patient's lawsuit is timely under the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:46 pm

Tolling statute says he had three years from the time his claim arose to serve the defendant with process. Looks like he was like three years + a week.

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:45 pm

Bass wrote:I would be so grateful if I could get an explanation on the question below please. How exactly was the tolling statute not complied with? 8)
[+] Spoiler
QUESTION
# 1631 / Civil Procedure / Law Applied by Federal Courts
You answered B. The correct answer is A.
EXPLANATION:
A is correct. Under the Erie doctrine, in a diversity action, a federal court must apply the substantive law of the state. The Supreme Court has established that statutes of limitations and rules for tolling statutes of limitations are substantive for Erie doctrine purposes. Therefore, in this case, State A law applies.

B is incorrect. The Supreme Court has established that statutes of limitations and rules for tolling statutes of limitations are substantive for Erie doctrine purposes. The Federal Rules of Civil Procedure provide that an action is "commenced" by filing the complaint, such commencement of the lawsuit does not toll the statute of limitations in diversity cases.

C is incorrect. The Federal Rules of Civil Procedure are applicable in diversity questions. However, the Rules do not address the question of when a state's statute of limitations is tolled. Moreover, the Supreme Court has established that statutes of limitations and rules for tolling statutes of limitations are substantive for Erie doctrine purposes.

D is incorrect. The Supreme Court has established that statutes of limitations and rules for tolling statutes of limitations are substantive for Erie doctrine purposes; see also the explanation as to why answer C is incorrect.

A patient, a citizen of State A, brings a tort claim in State A federal court based on diversity against a cardiologist, located in State B. Federal Rules of Civil Procedure state that "[a] civil action is commenced by filing a complaint with the court." Tort claims have a three year statute of limitations under State A law, and a State A statute provides that statutes of limitations are tolled when service of process is made on the defendant. The patient's tort claim arose on January 5, 2005. The patient filed his lawsuit with the court on January 5, 2008, but the cardiologist was not served until January 15, 2008.

Which of the following is true?

A. The patient's claim was not timely filed because it did not comply with State A's tolling statute.
B. The patient's claim was timely because the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, not state law, apply and the action was "commenced" on January 5, 2008.
C. The patient's claim is time-barred because the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure are not applicable because this is a diversity action.
D. The patient's claim is not time-barred; State A law is not applicable because this is a diversity action, and the patient's lawsuit is timely under the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure.
State statute says tolling upon SERVICE

Because SOL is a substantive, you comply with the state rules where filed.

Service was after the sol had run

WestWingWatcher

Bronze

Post by WestWingWatcher » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:00 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:How many questions has everyone done? I'm at like 430, bouncing between 68-71%.
I'm approaching 500, with an average of just under 75%. While I am happy with this score in the abstract, I worry its not really representative. I feel like I don't know as much as that percentage lets on.

ETA: In before "sick brag" :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:56 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:How many questions has everyone done? I'm at like 430, bouncing between 68-71%.
487 Questions; 68%~

Even mix of questions.

Highest percentage for any one topic: Con law & Evidence (76%)
Lowest: Contracts (WTF!) (48%)

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:15 pm

WestWingWatcher wrote:
I'm approaching 500, with an average of just under 75%. While I am happy with this score in the abstract, I worry its not really representative. I feel like I don't know as much as that percentage lets on.

ETA: In before "sick brag" :lol:
I think 75% is a pretty damn solid position. What do you mean that it's not really representative? Like you're only doing questions from subjects you know well?

And yeah, RJ, I think Contracts questions are weirdly hard. It's my worst subject too.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:59 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
And yeah, RJ, I think Contracts questions are weirdly hard. It's my worst subject too.
Yeah - think part of my problem with contracts (and real property, to a lesser extent) is that I'm not taking any time to diagram/mark up the prompt to keep track of the various parties.

Would be helpful if adaptibar implemented a highlight feature so you could highlight as you worked on questions. I know Kaplan has this (or at least they do for their MPRE program) and its super helpful.

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:21 pm

barkschool wrote:Gone from 55% daily to 60ish%

This is a discouraging system.
68% Avg

goal - get 80's for a few days before the exam

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

WestWingWatcher

Bronze

Post by WestWingWatcher » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:55 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote: I think 75% is a pretty damn solid position. What do you mean that it's not really representative? Like you're only doing questions from subjects you know well?
Nah, once I did the 50 in each topic, I transitioned to the mix of all the topics. I guess because my barbri scores are lower (yes yes I know barbri tries to scare you), and because when I'm attempting an essay on one of the MBE topics, my brain turns to jello and I can't remember any of the rules.
barkschool wrote:
68% Avg

goal - get 80's for a few days before the exam
Yeah, that is my goal as well! (though I may need to aim higher if I continue to be absolute rubbish at essays.)

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:21 pm

WestWingWatcher wrote:
Nah, once I did the 50 in each topic, I transitioned to the mix of all the topics. I guess because my barbri scores are lower (yes yes I know barbri tries to scare you), and because when I'm attempting an essay on one of the MBE topics, my brain turns to jello and I can't remember any of the rules.

Yeah, that is my goal as well! (though I may need to aim higher if I continue to be absolute rubbish at essays.)
How does your state weigh mbe?

Regardless. If you're 70+, you can just get near passing on essays to be in great shape

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:54 am

barkschool wrote:
WestWingWatcher wrote:

Regardless. If you're 70+, you can just get near passing on essays to be in great shape
I'm 50% MBE, which I'm very thankful for. I figure if I can get 70% on the MBE, I'll be golden, especially since the MPT seems pretty easy and self-explanatory. That's the hope, anyway.

WestWingWatcher

Bronze

Post by WestWingWatcher » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:19 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:
barkschool wrote:
WestWingWatcher wrote:

I'm 50% MBE, which I'm very thankful for. I figure if I can get 70% on the MBE, I'll be golden, especially since the MPT seems pretty easy and self-explanatory. That's the hope, anyway.
I'm 50% MBE as well (NY). I have been looking and failing to find what percentage of MBE you need to get right in order to still pass despite flubbing the essays, glad to hear 70%+ is pretty credited!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:23 am

WestWingWatcher wrote:
I'm 50% MBE as well (NY). I have been looking and failing to find what percentage of MBE you need to get right in order to still pass despite flubbing the essays, glad to hear 70%+ is pretty credited!
My understanding is 70% raw is probably around 150 scaled, give or take. For most states, that's probably enough that you can do well below average on the essays and still pass.

bda

New

Post by bda » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:36 am

I assume some of you are doing Barbri in conjunction with Adaptibar--how do your scores compare?

I was under the impression Barbri's questions were harder (to scare you into overstudying) but I'm sitting at 75% correct on Barbri's Study Smart and about 65% on Adaptibar. I'm about 400 questions in.

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:49 am

Hey guys. I think I'm not understanding this stuff. If I score around 60-65% on the MBE is that not a passing score in a UBE state? And if I'm superior on MPT and average on MEE?

I guess I'm asking if there's a floor for the MBE?

TheWalrus

Silver

Post by TheWalrus » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:53 am

okaygo wrote:Hey guys. I think I'm not understanding this stuff. If I score around 60-65% on the MBE is that not a passing score in a UBE state? And if I'm superior on MPT and average on MEE?

The average score on the mbe is like 62%.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:59 am

TheWalrus wrote:
okaygo wrote:Hey guys. I think I'm not understanding this stuff. If I score around 60-65% on the MBE is that not a passing score in a UBE state? And if I'm superior on MPT and average on MEE?

Oh ok. So why is the goal pushed on this forum to be 70+? Is that for cushion purposes? Right now I'm around 60% and I want to see how bad of a shape I'm in.

TheWalrus

Silver

Post by TheWalrus » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:09 am

okaygo wrote:
TheWalrus wrote:

Oh ok. So why is the goal pushed on this forum to be 70+? Is that for cushion purposes? Right now I'm around 60% and I want to see how bad of a shape I'm in.
Yeah, 70+ is pretty cush autopass territory for most states.

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:45 am

okaygo wrote:
TheWalrus wrote:

70% is definitely a comfortable passing number. Is it more than you likely need by a great deal? Yes. But for bar-exam studiers who want to rest a bit easier to know you are at a comfortable score makes a big difference mentally.

JoeSeparac has posted in other threads based on available information from the bar in the past, and the general score to achieve is 63%, if you look at what the median score as been on the MBE the last few years you can get an idea of what scaled score you will have by scoring near the median of 63%. In Illinois, as an example, students need a 133 on the MBE (and then a 133 on the written portion) to pass (of course you could score more on written which would mean MBE score could be lower, but for the sake of discussion lets say you need that 133) that means that a student can score UNDER the median and still achieve a score at or above the necessary 133. If 63% approximates the mean, then you know approximately where you stand with your scores (naturally on test day you may be a bit better/worse but you are likely to score close to your practice sets especially if using real questions and if you have a large enough sample size - which is a big perk of Adaptibar)

If you are already in the sixty percent range (with a month to go) you can definitely see improvement, continue to use the program as designed, do questions, review answers, reassess after each 350 question set and take a look at your weaknesses and you will be on your way to a passing score.

TheWalrus

Silver

Post by TheWalrus » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:49 am

ndbigdave wrote:
okaygo wrote:
TheWalrus wrote:

70% is definitely a comfortable passing number. Is it more than you likely need by a great deal? Yes. But for bar-exam studiers who want to rest a bit easier to know you are at a comfortable score makes a big difference mentally.

JoeSeparac has posted in other threads based on available information from the bar in the past, and the general score to achieve is 63%, if you look at what the median score as been on the MBE the last few years you can get an idea of what scaled score you will have by scoring near the median of 63%. In Illinois, as an example, students need a 133 on the MBE (and then a 133 on the written portion) to pass (of course you could score more on written which would mean MBE score could be lower, but for the sake of discussion lets say you need that 133) that means that a student can score UNDER the median and still achieve a score at or above the necessary 133. If 63% approximates the mean, then you know approximately where you stand with your scores (naturally on test day you may be a bit better/worse but you are likely to score close to your practice sets especially if using real questions and if you have a large enough sample size - which is a big perk of Adaptibar)

If you are already in the sixty percent range (with a month to go) you can definitely see improvement, continue to use the program as designed, do questions, review answers, reassess after each 350 question set and take a look at your weaknesses and you will be on your way to a passing score.
Oh, I completely agree. I just thought the poster wanted to know about the floor to pass.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”