Barbri start date question

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Pneumonia

Gold

Barbri start date question

Postby Pneumonia » Mon May 08, 2017 4:41 pm

I'm signed up to take Barbri online to prep for the 2017 TX Bar Exam. The course "officially" starts on 05/20. That seems really early. I don't even graduate until later in May. And then I have to move across the country. So assuming I don't want to do anything bar-related until mid-June, what's that going to look like on Barbri? Having used them for the MPRE, I'm familiar with the way their online system works--modules, etc.

I'm assuming that if I log on for the first time on June 15th, the screen won't read "you're screwed because you're 4 weeks behind, sorry." What will it say? Will it try to get me to study more each day so that I make it through all of the material? Or will it amend my "schedule" by cutting some material so that I'm still only studying a set amount per day?

Thanks.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Re: Barbri start date question

Postby RaceJudicata » Mon May 08, 2017 5:05 pm

Others who have been through barbri/bar study in general can correct me if I'm wrong...but the people I've talked to/gotten advice from would tell you that you are crazy for starting in mid june. I don't think it would kill you to miss a few of the early lectures and make them up later...but the more you miss, the steeper the learning curve will be. Good chance you'll burn out trying to play catch up..

Just my $0.02.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Postby SmokeytheBear » Mon May 08, 2017 5:11 pm

Pneumonia wrote:I'm signed up to take Barbri online to prep for the 2017 TX Bar Exam. The course "officially" starts on 05/20. That seems really early. I don't even graduate until later in May. And then I have to move across the country. So assuming I don't want to do anything bar-related until mid-June, what's that going to look like on Barbri? Having used them for the MPRE, I'm familiar with the way their online system works--modules, etc.

I'm assuming that if I log on for the first time on June 15th, the screen won't read "you're screwed because you're 4 weeks behind, sorry." What will it say? Will it try to get me to study more each day so that I make it through all of the material? Or will it amend my "schedule" by cutting some material so that I'm still only studying a set amount per day?

Thanks.

Yeah this is a horrible idea.

Falling three days behind is hard enough. Falling a month behind will be fatal.

There are some programs that have accelerated study schedules--I know Stanford does (or at least used to) do one for their former students who clerked for a year. But it's a different program specifically designed to be done in a month; not a two month program condensed into a month.

Barbri's schedule won't amend your schedule or cut it; you chose the program they had already developed.

Pneumonia

Gold

Postby Pneumonia » Mon May 08, 2017 6:18 pm

Most of my peers (current 3Ls, and a few c/o 2016'rs) have advised that starting in May is totally unnecessary. I know several people who are working at their law firms for the entire month of June (i.e., not starting bar prep until 07/01). So maybe I'm off base on starting on mid-June, but if I am it's not because I pulled a date out of thin air. Perhaps those people are doing the old law-school hedge though. And I'm not sure what programs their using. I guess not Barbri.

I'm doing Barbri because my firm strongly pushed me in that direction. It sounds like it will be tough to catch up if I don't start until mid-June. I have family in town for graduation from 05/23 – 05/30. Graduation itself takes two full-ish days, 05/24 and 05/25. My lease ends on 05/31. I'm trying to pack some now, but since we have family staying with us a lot the packing will have to wait until later in the month. From 06/01 – 06/04 I'm driving a U-Haul across the country with a spouse and child in tow (not literally). Sometime between now and then I also have to find and rent a new place (it's a mid-western city, and having lived there before I know that houses don't really "pre-lease;" you have to wait until you get there). And then once I get to my new city on 06/04, I need to move in to a new house.

I only typed all of this out because it seems like a fairly typical schedule post-graduation (maybe it isn't?). Barbri starts 05/20. I think a lot of people have graduation after that date and have moving after that date. I assume at least some of them also use Barbri.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Postby SmokeytheBear » Mon May 08, 2017 6:22 pm

Pneumonia wrote:Most of my peers (current 3Ls, and a few c/o 2016'rs) have advised that starting in May is totally unnecessary. I know several people who are working at their law firms for the entire month of June (i.e., not starting bar prep until 07/01). So maybe I'm off base on starting on mid-June, but if I am it's not because I pulled a date out of thin air. Perhaps those people are doing the old law-school hedge though. And I'm not sure what programs their using. I guess not Barbri.

I'm doing Barbri because my firm strongly pushed me in that direction. It sounds like it will be tough to catch up if I don't start until mid-June. I have family in town for graduation from 05/23 – 05/30. Graduation itself takes two full-ish days, 05/24 and 05/25. My lease ends on 05/31. I'm trying to pack some now, but since we have family staying with us a lot the packing will have to wait until later in the month. From 06/01 – 06/04 I'm driving a U-Haul across the country with a spouse and child in tow (not literally). Sometime between now and then I also have to find and rent a new place (it's a mid-western city, and having lived there before I know that houses don't really "pre-lease;" you have to wait until you get there). And then once I get to my new city on 06/04, I need to move in to a new house.

I only typed all of this out because it seems like a fairly typical schedule post-graduation (maybe it isn't?). Barbri starts 05/20. I think a lot of people have graduation after that date and have moving after that date. I assume at least some of them also use Barbri.

You're taking an unnecessary gamble with an incredibly important test.

Good luck.

emkay625

Gold

Postby emkay625 » Mon May 08, 2017 6:47 pm

So it's not as if bar studying will occupy 12 hours a day during those first couple of weeks. You can easily get by putting in 4 hours a day for the first 2 weeks. That way you don't fall that far behind. Then accelerate your schedule after that.

Also: You can watch the video lectures on a faster speed to save time.

kandi007

New

Postby kandi007 » Mon May 08, 2017 7:12 pm

I have to agree I think its crazy to wait until mid June to start.

I too am moving several states away, albeit without a kid and spouse but I arranged everything months ahead of time so nothing would get in the way of my studying.

Barbri for me starts on the 18th, which is the same day as my graduation so I am starting 3 days later. And even that has me scared.

Either way sounds like you made your mind up on what you are doing so good luck.

dehaven

New

Postby dehaven » Tue May 09, 2017 2:30 pm

Pneumonia wrote:Most of my peers (current 3Ls, and a few c/o 2016'rs) have advised that starting in May is totally unnecessary. I know several people who are working at their law firms for the entire month of June (i.e., not starting bar prep until 07/01). So maybe I'm off base on starting on mid-June, but if I am it's not because I pulled a date out of thin air. Perhaps those people are doing the old law-school hedge though. And I'm not sure what programs their using. I guess not Barbri.

Then start studying now. I believe you're allowed to log-in and look at what's assigned. Invest some time now.

Pneumonia

Gold

Postby Pneumonia » Tue May 09, 2017 3:03 pm

dehaven wrote:

Then start studying now. I believe you're allowed to log-in and look at what's assigned. Invest some time now.

As far as I can tell the only thing that's open is "early start," which i've been doing. The actual bar review course is inaccessible though (or at least I don't know how to access it).

lakers180

Bronze

Postby lakers180 » Tue May 09, 2017 3:07 pm

Pneumonia wrote:
dehaven wrote:

As far as I can tell the only thing that's open is "early start," which i've been doing. The actual bar review course is inaccessible though (or at least I don't know how to access it).

Go to calendar, go to the week of the 22nd, and you can watch all the lectures.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?