Emanuel Strategies & Tactics Various Editions Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Lawyerinwaiting89

Bronze

Emanuel Strategies & Tactics Various Editions

Post by Lawyerinwaiting89 » Sun May 07, 2017 11:35 pm

I have the 2nd and 6th editions and found them helpful, but I have done all of the practice questions already. As I am taking a second jurisdiction this July, I was thinking of purchasing some of the other editions (4th and 5th is what I have been able to find on eBay). Has anyone used multiple editions? Do the questions repeat? Are the older editions out of date in terms of substance? Thanks!

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Re: Emanuel Strategies & Tactics Various Editions

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Mon May 08, 2017 11:19 am

No need to purchase additional editions--the only changes are in the 6th edition where they added Civil Procedure questions.

However, there is a book called Strategies and Tactics for the Finz Multistate Method. These questions are entirely new (they are, however, not actual released MBE questions). It's an excellent book, and I recommend it.

Sean (Silverman Bar Prep)
http://www.mbetutorial.blogspot.com

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Wed May 10, 2017 5:31 pm

If you have the budget (~$75), I'd opt for the 6th edition, which come with author-written Civ Pro questions and explanations. You could find other people's Civ Pro questions, but Steven Emanuel's explanations are very helpful, so I think that's where the value is.

Some 5th editions will come with an insert slip with an online access code, but I wouldn't count on that being included (depends on seller).

With the MBE getting harder every year, it would be prudent to invest in a resource that prepares you adequately for the Civ Pro questions, since there's only 10 official CP questions available from the NCBE. http://ncbex.org/pdfviewer/?file=%2Fdmsdocument%2F16

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Thu May 11, 2017 3:51 pm

Agreed that the 6th edition is absolutely needed. But I think the question was whether to purchase any of the earlier editions if one already has the 6th edition. In that case, I'd say it's probably not worth doing so.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Thu May 11, 2017 4:02 pm

SilvermanBarPrep wrote:Agreed that the 6th edition is absolutely needed. But I think the question was whether to purchase any of the earlier editions if one already has the 6th edition. In that case, I'd say it's probably not worth doing so.
Thanks for the correction! I misread the question, and I agree with you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lawyerinwaiting89

Bronze

Post by Lawyerinwaiting89 » Thu May 11, 2017 5:10 pm

Thanks for the help!

MrT

Bronze

Post by MrT » Thu May 11, 2017 5:30 pm

FWIW, I thought the CivPro questions were essentially useless. They are nothing like the exam, are obscenely long, and far more difficult than the real deal. That being said, the alternative options are pretty slim.

happyhour1122

Silver

Post by happyhour1122 » Fri May 12, 2017 10:04 am

I have all the editions literally from very long time ago.
unless I didn't recognize it, no questions overlapped.

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Sat May 13, 2017 2:58 pm

MrT wrote:FWIW, I thought the CivPro questions were essentially useless. They are nothing like the exam, are obscenely long, and far more difficult than the real deal. That being said, the alternative options are pretty slim.
Very much agree with this. I like the Civ Pro questions in the Strategies and Tactics for the Finz Multistate Method far more.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

myrtlewinston

Bronze

Post by myrtlewinston » Sat May 13, 2017 8:55 pm

Sean,
I have the 5th edition of Strategies and Tactics, including access to Civ Pro questions online. Do I need the 6th edition?
Thanks,
K

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Sat May 13, 2017 9:44 pm

I would go ahead and get the 6th edition just because it has Civil Procedure. I believe (though if anyone knows otherwise, please correct me) that the online questions differ from the questions in the book. The Civil Procedure questions are, as stated above, unrealistic, but they do provide practice in the subject. And the answer explanations are outstanding in their depth.

myrtlewinston

Bronze

Post by myrtlewinston » Mon May 15, 2017 7:58 pm

Thanks.

ncbarprep

New

Post by ncbarprep » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:17 pm

Hi!

Studying for NC bar in July...can anyone tell me the difference bw Strat & Tactics FINZ and Strat & Tactics MBE. Also - in reading this post I'm assuming the 6th addition was civ pro is better but then also see some people disagreeing. So any thoughts on this too. Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Allux

New

Post by Allux » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:53 pm

I actually just posted something about this, do you guys think the questions in Emanuel are super hard, though the explanations are really great. I averaged around 7x on other bar prep, but I got a lot more worngs on this book.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:07 pm

Allux wrote:I actually just posted something about this, do you guys think the questions in Emanuel are super hard, though the explanations are really great. I averaged around 7x on other bar prep, but I got a lot more worngs on this book.
Compared to what?

If anything, my concern would be that they might be too easy compared to the MBE questions being used these days...

Allux

New

Post by Allux » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:18 pm

a male human wrote:
Allux wrote:I actually just posted something about this, do you guys think the questions in Emanuel are super hard, though the explanations are really great. I averaged around 7x on other bar prep, but I got a lot more worngs on this book.
Compared to what?

If anything, my concern would be that they might be too easy compared to the MBE questions being used these days...
Comparing to Barbri adaptibar Themis

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:23 pm

Allux wrote:
a male human wrote:
Compared to what?

AdaptiBar and Emanuel S&T source their questions from the same place, the NCBE, so they shouldn't be much different.

Barbri intentionally drafts convoluted questions to add some artificial difficulty. I would imagine that Barbri questions are "tougher" in that they're more confusing and sometimes have answer choices that are arguable.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Allux

New

Post by Allux » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:29 pm

a male human wrote:
Allux wrote:
a male human wrote:
Compared to what?

AdaptiBar and Emanuel S&T source their questions from the same place, the NCBE, so they shouldn't be much different.

Barbri intentionally drafts convoluted questions to add some artificial difficulty. I would imagine that Barbri questions are "tougher" in that they're more confusing and sometimes have answer choices that are arguable.
Do you think using Themis+adaptibar without Emanuel would be enough?? Kinda worried that I would miss something if I don’t use Emanuel.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:33 pm

Allux wrote:
a male human wrote:
Allux wrote:
a male human wrote:
Compared to what?

Do you think using Themis+adaptibar without Emanuel would be enough?? Kinda worried that I would miss something if I don’t use Emanuel.
Emanuel has really good explanations as you said. I think you'd be missing the opportunity to give yourself this good feedback. But yes, what you suggest would be enough as long as you're learning from them.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”