Anyone felt they passed and did pass? Vice versa?

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
barexaminerssuck27

New

Anyone felt they passed and did pass? Vice versa?

Postby barexaminerssuck27 » Fri May 05, 2017 7:17 pm

Anyone felt they passed after walking out the exam and END UP passing? Vice versa?

Someone told me that if you felt like you passed, you probably failed. This is why I asked this question.

Thank you for time and anwers

ur_hero

Bronze

Re: Anyone felt they passed and did pass? Vice versa?

Postby ur_hero » Fri May 05, 2017 7:24 pm

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a science to this.

Personally, the first time I felt reasonably confident but didn't know for sure and failed. This time, I'm sure I did better but my confidence is completely in the gutter as a result of the first failure. Guess we'll see how this pans out :)

jchiles

Silver

Postby jchiles » Fri May 05, 2017 8:49 pm

I left feeling like I passed and I did pass.

encore1101

Silver

Postby encore1101 » Fri May 05, 2017 9:34 pm

jchiles wrote:I left feeling like I passed and I did pass.

rcharter1978

Gold

Postby rcharter1978 » Sat May 06, 2017 5:55 am

barexaminerssuck27 wrote:Anyone felt they passed after walking out the exam and END UP passing? Vice versa?

Someone told me that if you felt like you passed, you probably failed. This is why I asked this question.

Thank you for time and anwers

I might have been the one who said this.

For me, its just one of those things where there is a good chance that people who really thought it wasn't that hard may not have seen all the issues. So they feel super confident, the way a person might when they are swimming on top of the water, thinking "hey, I'm swimming great, the only thing I need to worry about is keeping my breaststroke steady and breathing," all the while not realizing they are actually swimming in shark infested water with piranhas behind them.

Of course, it doesn't apply to everyone, but thats been what I've seen.

I felt like I absolutely didn't pass the second time. I was 100% certain, and I got salty with more than a few people who suggested I at least CHECK the site to make sure I didn't pass. Before results were released I told people I didn't pass. When I got the letter in the mail from the California Bar, I assumed it was like some address change form or something, because the letter was so small.

I just about lost my damn mind when I read it. I just remember seeing the word "delighted," and I was confused for a second because, why would anyone be delighted to send me an address change form? And when it finally dawned on me that I had actually passed, man, I lost my shit right at the mailbox.

Good times.

InterAlia1961

Bronze

Postby InterAlia1961 » Sat May 06, 2017 9:56 am

This is my third time. I knew I had failed it the first two times. The first time, I knew after the MBE. I made it back to the hotel before coming unhinged, but I knew. The second time it was after the second PT. I knew I had blown the first one, but was holding out hope for the second. Then, there was no hope. This time, I'm worried about the essays, especially the evidence and the business corps essays. I'm not sure about the MBE either.

I hate Schroedinger's cat. It's possible I hate Schroedinger as well.

InterAlia1961

Bronze

Postby InterAlia1961 » Sat May 06, 2017 12:07 pm

I've been thinking about this a little more. I keep track of my dreams, have for decades. It helps me to understand how I feel about situations. I've had four dreams that I recorded that have something to do with the bar exam.

First Dream

I took the bar exam the first time just after graduation. I knew I wasn't ready, and had discussed postponing it until Feb. 2015. I was involved in complex litigation and had taken a serious financial hit that I didn't see coming. But my professors encouraged me to try anyway. I knew I had done poorly to begin with, but a few days after the exam, I had the following dream:

It's pitch black out. I'm in a huge mobile home park, but there aren't any lights on the street or in the mobile homes. I walk from home to home trying to find the right one, but none of them are correct. Some I can't even get the door open. Others, if I get the door open, they're dark and empty on the inside. No matter which one I chose, it wasn't the right one.

I think the dark mobile homes represent the MBE. (Houses of any kind represent people. In this case, they represent the members of NCBE, which produces the MBE. That there are many of them lined up in the dark represents the questions.) Subconsciously, I was worried about my performance on the MBE. When the scores were released, I was at a paltry 130.

Second Dream

In Feb. 2015, I tried again. A week after the exam, I recorded the following dream:

It's pitch black out. I'm walking on a dirt road, but can't see where I'm going. I know that on either side of me, there are dangers and I shouldn't leave the road. I know there is a graveyard on my left side, and I know that my husband's deceased grandmother is there. I pass structures as I walk, a church, some houses that don't really have a shape. I encounter a young man coming the other way, but he doesn't know where I am or where I'm supposed to be going.

This dream was telling me I wasn't prepared enough. In fact, my essay answers lacked shape and direction. My husband's grandmother was an English teacher. The reference to her in my dream was obviously pointing toward the fact that I didn't know enough. Walking through the dark with no idea where I was going points to a lack of preparation as well. Once again, there was no light in this dream. Subconsciously, I knew I failed. When the results came out, I was at 140 on the MBE and failed the written portion on the re-read.

Third Dream

I took the CBX again this Feb., after finally resolving the issue that was the subject of the litigation started during law school. A week after returning home from California, I had the following dream:

I'm in a bright, overcrowded room with a ten-year-old girl named Donna. She has long, straight hair, and I never see her face. We are waiting in the room which as a distinct yellow hue. Just beyond the room is another room, with a blue hue. Everyone is trying to get through the doorway into the room beyond. It's wall-to-wall people, like at a concert. I can see into the other room. It's a courtroom, and not just any courtroom, it's the courtroom from an old television show called Night Court. (If you're too young to remember it, try to find it. Kick back, have a beer and watch a couple episodes. Hysterical. Could never, ever be made for network tv today.) As Donna and I are waiting to go through the door into the court room, a guard stops us. He tells me he knows that I did something wrong. I try to tell him I didn't, but just then, a second guard comes over. He recognizes me and tells me he should've taken care of me when he had the chance the first time. I'm certain I won't get into the courtroom, and I start to panic. But at the last second, the guard looks away, and Donna and I go with the others through the door. Then, suddenly, I'm alone in a long brightly lit yellow hallway, but Donna is nowhere to be found. I walk down the hallway, desperate to get out of the building, and push open a door. I'm outside in the dark. Behind me I can see the glow of the yellow light through the window. I wonder where Donna is. I think about going back in to find her, but then decide not to.

This dream shows that I'm afraid I'll be caught up in another re-read scenario. I'm worried that if that happens again, I'll fail. Donna represents the written portion of the test. I know this because the name is a derivative of someone who helped me study for the written portion. It shows that I really don't want to know how I did on the written portion, not enough to go back in and get them. Interestingly enough, I haven't had a dream about the MBE, which leads me to believe I'm not as worried about it as I was the first time.

Fourth Dream

I had this dream two nights ago.

My husband and I are trying to get over a white foot bridge, but there is white guard shack and a female guard. She tells us that we can't go across because the paperwork my husband shows her is wrong. He takes more paperwork out of a yellow sports bag, and she tells him I can pass. I make my way across the bridge without looking down. (I'm afraid of heights in both waking life and dream land.) I make it across, and I'm in a large theater type room with large, leather high-back chairs in rows. I'm standing next to the very last row. A woman looks at my papers and tells me there is a mistake and I can't pass. I tell her that the paperwork was cleared back at the gate. I brush her aside, telling her that it was my seat and I was going to take it. She didn't try to stop me. I went over to the last seat in the last row and sat down with the other people.

Again, I think this dream shows I'm afraid of a re-read. It also shows that I'm not likely to take no for an answer. If I failed it, I'll take it again, even though I'm exhausted and tired of studying for this thing. I'll do it again. That's my seat at the State Bar of California, and I intend to take it, no matter how many high bridges I have to cross.

Hang in there everyone. We're almost there.

Neve

Bronze

Postby Neve » Sat May 06, 2017 12:40 pm

I did extremely well on the essays on the third day of the Texas Bar and left the exam feeling very confident that I passed. But as time went by, I began to doubt myself. I did end up passing on my first try!

InterAlia1961

Bronze

Postby InterAlia1961 » Sun May 07, 2017 9:06 am

Neve wrote:I did extremely well on the essays on the third day of the Texas Bar and left the exam feeling very confident that I passed. But as time went by, I began to doubt myself. I did end up passing on my first try!

Nicely done!

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�