Supplemental MBE Prep

Neve
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:45 pm

Re: Supplemental MBE Prep

Postby Neve » Wed May 31, 2017 2:00 pm

SeewhathappensLarry wrote:I'm sure it varies but is it really necessary to supplement MBE prep for first-time takers? Using Themis now and haven't gotten to any MBE questions yet but just wondering if I should buy something else now too


Bar prep classes are cookie cutter. Not everyone has the same strengths and weaknesses. For example, I am great at essay writing; however, my weakest test format is multiple choice. As a result, I decided to supplement with Emmanuel and Critical Pass. If I were to take the MBE again, I would add Adaptibar to my bar prep. Will all first-time bar takers need to supplement? It depends on the strengths and weaknesses of that particular test taker.

Law&coffee
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:10 pm

Re: Supplemental MBE Prep

Postby Law&coffee » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:40 pm

SeewhathappensLarry wrote:
ndbigdave wrote:
SeewhathappensLarry wrote:I'm sure it varies but is it really necessary to supplement MBE prep for first-time takers? Using Themis now and haven't gotten to any MBE questions yet but just wondering if I should buy something else now too



The traditional wisdom at this point is that BarBri, Kaplan and Themis do a fine job trying to be "all inclusive" to help the largest amount of people, and for many folks you CAN just use their questions and likely pass - however there are options that make OFFICIAL former MBE questions available - be it from the NBCE themselves, Adaptibar, BarMax or Emmanuel's Strategies and tactics.

Having taken two bars (based one and failed one) nothing can really beat doing as many questions as possible and it never hurts to practice with as close as an approximation as you can to what you will see in July - that is with REAL questions + explanation.

What is the most "all-inclusive?" That is adaptibar that will cost 365 after discount, the cheapest would be to rent the Emmanuel book through Barnes and Noble (but youd have to track your own results and it has about half as many questions).

Its about how much time you have and what your resources are - perfect world? Adaptibar + Emmanuel + Themis. It may sound like overkill but if you can do it you should be beyond prepared to pass.



I've heard rave reviews of Adaptibar so I think that's probably a good call. Not sure about doing Emmanuel too but I'll leave that to how my progress goes


Yes to Adaptibar, Emmanuel & Critical Pass. If you're in a time crunch, leave out Emmanuel.

sheeeluh
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 9:44 am

Re: Supplemental MBE Prep

Postby sheeeluh » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:50 pm

[Mod edit: user banned for spamming]

User avatar
rahulg91
Posts: 384
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:30 pm

Re: Supplemental MBE Prep

Postby rahulg91 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:10 pm

Anyone got an Adaptibar discount code?

kcjlo10
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:49 am

Re: Supplemental MBE Prep

Postby kcjlo10 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:25 pm

If anyone needs an Adaptibar code, feel free to pm me.

law9871
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu May 25, 2017 10:05 am

Re: Supplemental MBE Prep

Postby law9871 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:48 am

Neve wrote:
SeewhathappensLarry wrote:I'm sure it varies but is it really necessary to supplement MBE prep for first-time takers? Using Themis now and haven't gotten to any MBE questions yet but just wondering if I should buy something else now too


Bar prep classes are cookie cutter. Not everyone has the same strengths and weaknesses. For example, I am great at essay writing; however, my weakest test format is multiple choice. As a result, I decided to supplement with Emmanuel and Critical Pass. If I were to take the MBE again, I would add Adaptibar to my bar prep. Will all first-time bar takers need to supplement? It depends on the strengths and weaknesses of that particular test taker.


I agree, the Critical Pass Flashcards have been great for nailing down the black letter and similar to a skeleton outline. If anyone is looking to purchase them I used this code and it worked free shipping $10 off and free app http://criticalpass.refr.cc/JULY2017BAR

justwanttobealawyer
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:42 pm

Re: Supplemental MBE Prep

Postby justwanttobealawyer » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:36 am

rahulg91 wrote:Anyone got an Adaptibar discount code?



Hi! I have an Adaptibar code if you're interested- it's 30 dollars off. Give me the email address you plan on using to purchase it and I can send it to you there. Thanks and good luck!

User avatar
melainaa
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:43 pm

Re: Supplemental MBE Prep

Postby melainaa » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:09 pm

SeewhathappensLarry wrote:
ndbigdave wrote:
SeewhathappensLarry wrote:I'm sure it varies but is it really necessary to supplement MBE prep for first-time takers? Using Themis now and haven't gotten to any MBE questions yet but just wondering if I should buy something else now too



The traditional wisdom at this point is that BarBri, Kaplan and Themis do a fine job trying to be "all inclusive" to help the largest amount of people, and for many folks you CAN just use their questions and likely pass - however there are options that make OFFICIAL former MBE questions available - be it from the NBCE themselves, Adaptibar, BarMax or Emmanuel's Strategies and tactics.

Having taken two bars (based one and failed one) nothing can really beat doing as many questions as possible and it never hurts to practice with as close as an approximation as you can to what you will see in July - that is with REAL questions + explanation.

What is the most "all-inclusive?" That is adaptibar that will cost 365 after discount, the cheapest would be to rent the Emmanuel book through Barnes and Noble (but youd have to track your own results and it has about half as many questions).

Its about how much time you have and what your resources are - perfect world? Adaptibar + Emmanuel + Themis. It may sound like overkill but if you can do it you should be beyond prepared to pass.



I've heard rave reviews of Adaptibar so I think that's probably a good call. Not sure about doing Emmanuel too but I'll leave that to how my progress goes



I'm really liking Adaptibar. Their analytics are great, and I personally find their answers clear without being overly long (sometimes Barbri answers seem a little long given the subject matter, but that's very subjective). With Adaptibar, I average 10-20 random questions a day, and I'm doing the recommended 50 questions on each subject after the relevant Barbri lecture. I'll bump up the number to 50-75 a day in the last 3-4 weeks of bar prep, after having covered all of the MBE subjects.

I just went ahead and bought Emmanuel based on all the rave reviews, so I'm hoping their shorter outlines will be great (I'm not crazy about the Barbri long outlines)


Also, if anyone is considering Adaptibar, I have a $30 discount, just PM me the email address you plan to use :)

Neve
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:45 pm

Re: Supplemental MBE Prep

Postby Neve » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:21 pm

SeewhathappensLarry wrote:
ndbigdave wrote:
SeewhathappensLarry wrote:I'm sure it varies but is it really necessary to supplement MBE prep for first-time takers? Using Themis now and haven't gotten to any MBE questions yet but just wondering if I should buy something else now too



The traditional wisdom at this point is that BarBri, Kaplan and Themis do a fine job trying to be "all inclusive" to help the largest amount of people, and for many folks you CAN just use their questions and likely pass - however there are options that make OFFICIAL former MBE questions available - be it from the NBCE themselves, Adaptibar, BarMax or Emmanuel's Strategies and tactics.

Having taken two bars (based one and failed one) nothing can really beat doing as many questions as possible and it never hurts to practice with as close as an approximation as you can to what you will see in July - that is with REAL questions + explanation.

What is the most "all-inclusive?" That is adaptibar that will cost 365 after discount, the cheapest would be to rent the Emmanuel book through Barnes and Noble (but youd have to track your own results and it has about half as many questions).

Its about how much time you have and what your resources are - perfect world? Adaptibar + Emmanuel + Themis. It may sound like overkill but if you can do it you should be beyond prepared to pass.



I've heard rave reviews of Adaptibar so I think that's probably a good call. Not sure about doing Emmanuel too but I'll leave that to how my progress goes


Emmanuel is a great tool, but it doesn't track your progress like Adaptibar does. If you can afford it, go with Adaptibar. If you are on a tight budget, Emmanuel is good as is BarMax (from what I've heard). If you have time and money, do both Adaptibar, Emmanuel, and Critical Pass.

ProspectiveStudent69
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:43 pm

Re: Supplemental MBE Prep

Postby ProspectiveStudent69 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:47 pm

Use:

Adaptibar (1000s of past MBE questions)
Barbri Essay Advantage/MBE Review (Both cost extra - Completely worth it!)
Critical Pass Flash Cards (Use the app - turn the material into outlines because it accurately mirrors Barbri's MBE lectures)

By using these supplemental resources I passed the Iowa bar with a cushion of 23 points.. Able to transfer the score to every UBE jurisdiction.

Good luck.

Law&coffee
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:10 pm

Re: Supplemental MBE Prep

Postby Law&coffee » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:45 pm

ProspectiveStudent69 wrote:Use:

Adaptibar (1000s of past MBE questions)
Barbri Essay Advantage/MBE Review (Both cost extra - Completely worth it!)
Critical Pass Flash Cards (Use the app - turn the material into outlines because it accurately mirrors Barbri's MBE lectures)

By using these supplemental resources I passed the Iowa bar with a cushion of 23 points.. Able to transfer the score to every UBE jurisdiction.

Good luck.


I've never heard feedback on the Barbri Essay Advantage/MBE Review course? What is it like?

ProspectiveStudent69
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:43 pm

Re: Supplemental MBE Prep

Postby ProspectiveStudent69 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:39 am

The book you get for the Essay Advantage course makes it all worth it. It goes over the most tested subjects in detail. It is a perfect review the week before taking the exam. MBE course is also worth it for the condensed review.

shaq23
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:19 pm

Re: Supplemental MBE Prep

Postby shaq23 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:59 am

If you are interested in a review of the Adaptibar, take a look at the following:

https://www.virginiabarprep.com/review- ... its-worth/

They also offer a $30 discount to help you out with costs.

Law&coffee
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:10 pm

Re: Supplemental MBE Prep

Postby Law&coffee » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:05 am

ProspectiveStudent69 wrote:The book you get for the Essay Advantage course makes it all worth it. It goes over the most tested subjects in detail. It is a perfect review the week before taking the exam. MBE course is also worth it for the condensed review.


Thanks for the information.




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests