Supplemental MBE Prep Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Steve2207

Bronze

Supplemental MBE Prep

Post by Steve2207 » Wed May 03, 2017 8:59 pm

I have used Themis in the past, and have gotten used to their MBE sets and the style of their questions. Recently, I purchased Barbri and am very concerned because their MBE questions seem to be lacking, and the schedule reflects far less MBE practice questions, especially mixed sets.

Are there any products that I can buy as a supplement which mimic the Themis style, yet target the MBE specifically? I really prefer to be doing a set of 34-50 mixed questions everyday in the final two weeks, which doesn’t appear on the Barbri schedule, and the wording of Barbri’s questions so far just feels off to me.

Others here at TLS have suggested AdaptiBar and I have tried the free trial, but it just isn’t what I am looking for either. I have the Emanuel books also, but would like a product that monitors progress and provides immediate feedback for answers if prompted.
Any thoughts?

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Re: Supplemental MBE Prep

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Thu May 04, 2017 1:41 pm

Two books I often recommend have very similar titles but they are entirely different books with entirely different questions:

Strategies and Tactics for the MBE (6th edition)

Strategies and Tactics for the Finz Multistate Method (4th).

I have also recently been working through the PMBR book which I think is really great.

Sean (Silverman Bar Prep)
http://www.mbetututorial.blogspot.com

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Thu May 04, 2017 2:26 pm

Steve2207 wrote:I have used Themis in the past, and have gotten used to their MBE sets and the style of their questions. Recently, I purchased Barbri and am very concerned because their MBE questions seem to be lacking, and the schedule reflects far less MBE practice questions, especially mixed sets.

Are there any products that I can buy as a supplement which mimic the Themis style, yet target the MBE specifically? I really prefer to be doing a set of 34-50 mixed questions everyday in the final two weeks, which doesn’t appear on the Barbri schedule, and the wording of Barbri’s questions so far just feels off to me.

Others here at TLS have suggested AdaptiBar and I have tried the free trial, but it just isn’t what I am looking for either. I have the Emanuel books also, but would like a product that monitors progress and provides immediate feedback for answers if prompted.
Any thoughts?
Didn't Themis use real MBE questions?

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Thu May 04, 2017 2:27 pm

SilvermanBarPrep wrote:Two books I often recommend have very similar titles but they are entirely different books with entirely different questions:

I have also recently been working through the PMBR book which I think is really great.

What is PMBR book? Is that the same as Kaplan blue MBE book?

Carrie_Homeland

New

Post by Carrie_Homeland » Thu May 04, 2017 2:37 pm

I used Barbri the first time following their program and failed. I decided to use it a second time, but I did it my own way. Instead of working though question sets like their assign, I worked though questions in StudySmart by category using a crawl/walk/run strategy. For example I would answer 10 easy Offer and Acceptance questions, then move on to Consideration. If I got a question wrong I would write down the rule in one sentence on a legal pad, and add it to an outline of rules I got wrong later. I reviewed these outlines before bed every night. Doing this I was able to add 30 points to my overall UBE score.

There are hundreds of questions on StudySmart, apparently more then they assign. Barbri also has real MBE questions, and other questions they wrote posted under one of the additional information tabs. I worked though a few of those sets too but found myself really burning out in the last few weeks.

PM me if you have any questions, this forum was super helpful to me after I failed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pointmass

New

Post by pointmass » Thu May 04, 2017 2:52 pm

Steve2207 wrote:I have used Themis in the past, and have gotten used to their MBE sets and the style of their questions. Recently, I purchased Barbri and am very concerned because their MBE questions seem to be lacking, and the schedule reflects far less MBE practice questions, especially mixed sets.

Any thoughts?
I have the same question. Adaptibar is among one of my choices. What do you not like about it?

pointmass

New

Post by pointmass » Thu May 04, 2017 2:54 pm

Carrie_Homeland wrote:I used Barbri the first time following their program and failed. I decided to use it a second time, but I did it my own way. Instead of working though question sets like their assign, I worked though questions in StudySmart by category using a crawl/walk/run strategy. For example I would answer 10 easy Offer and Acceptance questions, then move on to Consideration. If I got a question wrong I would write down the rule in one sentence on a legal pad, and add it to an outline of rules I got wrong later. I reviewed these outlines before bed every night. Doing this I was able to add 30 points to my overall UBE score.

There are hundreds of questions on StudySmart, apparently more then they assign. Barbri also has real MBE questions, and other questions they wrote posted under one of the additional information tabs. I worked though a few of those sets too but found myself really burning out in the last few weeks.

PM me if you have any questions, this forum was super helpful to me after I failed.
Is StudySmart different from MBE questions?

Carrie_Homeland

New

Post by Carrie_Homeland » Thu May 04, 2017 3:16 pm

pointmass wrote:
Carrie_Homeland wrote:I used Barbri the first time following their program and failed. I decided to use it a second time, but I did it my own way. Instead of working though question sets like their assign, I worked though questions in StudySmart by category using a crawl/walk/run strategy. For example I would answer 10 easy Offer and Acceptance questions, then move on to Consideration. If I got a question wrong I would write down the rule in one sentence on a legal pad, and add it to an outline of rules I got wrong later. I reviewed these outlines before bed every night. Doing this I was able to add 30 points to my overall UBE score.

Is StudySmart different from MBE questions?
No, same Barbri questions, just an alternative way to answer them.

Steve2207

Bronze

Post by Steve2207 » Thu May 04, 2017 8:55 pm

pointmass wrote: I have the same question. Adaptibar is among one of my choices. What do you not like about it?
Adaptibar is close to what I am wanting, but still a bit off from what I am used to. I would rather have separate sets for each specific subject made out, and then a bunch of mixed sets closer to the end that I could complete on schedule. Also, I liked seeing the percentages on how others have answered the questions too, so that I could gauge how difficult the question was. My biggest complaint though is their appears to be no "test mode". From what I can tell, you can create your own test, but can only go as high as 7 questions. (I will want sets of 34-100 as it gets closer to game day.)

Currently, I am still considering Adaptibar, and Barmax has an MBE bank as well which is being described to be very similar to Themis, but I am hesitant to purchase without knowing more info. Either way, I tried to force myself through some Barbri MBE tonight and it didn’t go well at all. The wording and feel of those questions just feels awkward to me, and I cant find a rhythm.

ETA: Does anyone know if it is possible to purchase only the Themis MBE?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Neve

Bronze

Post by Neve » Sat May 06, 2017 12:38 pm

List of Supplements for the Bar Exam (aimed toward MBE):

1) Emanuel's Strategies and Tactics for the MBE - available on Amazon. Fairly cheap book. Has good tips on approaching the MBE and contains lots of practice questions.

2) Adaptibar (http://www.adaptibar.com) - I didn't use this, but wish I had since it has received raving reviews. The only con to Adaptibar is the price.

3) Barmax MBE Questions (https://getbarmax.com/barmax-mbe-questions/ - supposedly "comparable" to Adaptibar). At only $249, it's a good price, but Adaptibar has tracking tools to individualize your MBE study and show your progress in a method that Barmax can't. But Barmax seems to be more economical than Adaptibar. You also need an iOS device to use it.

4) OPE from the MBE site to practice the most recent test questions: http://store.ncbex.org/all-online-practice-exams/. At $50 per OPE it isn't the cheapest option, but these are real, recent MBE questions and not the souped up Barbri ones. Barbri questions are not representative of the modern MBE. I hear Barmax is only $249 and has all these OPEs included.

5) Critical Pass (http://criticalpass.refr.cc/8GVXRT9 - referral link contains a discount code for 20% off) - Great flashcards for the MBE! You can't apply the law to an MBE question, if you don't know the law. I used Critical Pass for my bar study along with the CMR from Barbri and their simulated questions (although the Barbri questions are very different than actual MBE questions). I also used Emanuel's S&T during my study period, but not as much as I should have since it's a great resource. Note: When I purchased Critical Pass flashcards, I got a free shipping code by liking Critical Pass on Facebook. However, I don't know if this code is still available.
Last edited by Neve on Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

guyindfw

New

Post by guyindfw » Sat May 06, 2017 2:00 pm

If anyone needs adaptibar discount a $30 +$39 off code, please PM me your email!
Last edited by guyindfw on Tue May 09, 2017 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dvd0188

New

Post by dvd0188 » Tue May 09, 2017 4:50 pm

Hey guys,

Just FYI, I am selling my brand new Themis MULTISTATE Exam Books on ebay if anyone is interested. I ended up never using these so I wanted to sell them to someone who is looking for a cheaper option than purchasing the entire Themis course. There are six books in total, which cover all three portions of the UBE. I included a link below if y'all are interested. Good luck with bar prep!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112391054038?ss ... 1555.l2649

Steve2207

Bronze

Post by Steve2207 » Fri May 12, 2017 5:20 pm

I ended up buying Adaptibar for my MBE, and plan to give Barbri a shot aswell. Themis did come through and offered me a very very low price in order to retake, which was almost a steal. However, given that I have already failed twice now, I think it would be best for a change. Only missed it by 2 points last time, so hopefully Barbri + Adaptibar can get me over the hurdle.

If anyone wants a discount code for Adaptibar let me know and I can email a refer a friend code to you as well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Neve

Bronze

Post by Neve » Sun May 14, 2017 7:19 pm

I don't believe that Barbri uses real MBE questions unless they recently overhauled their program. That's why people go to AdaptiBar or BarMax and Strategies & Tactics - so they can practice with real MBE questions and not simulated MBE questions. I do believe supplements are necessary for success on the bar exam.

Law&coffee

New

Post by Law&coffee » Tue May 23, 2017 10:07 pm

Steve2207 wrote:I ended up buying Adaptibar for my MBE, and plan to give Barbri a shot aswell. Themis did come through and offered me a very very low price in order to retake, which was almost a steal. However, given that I have already failed twice now, I think it would be best for a change. Only missed it by 2 points last time, so hopefully Barbri + Adaptibar can get me over the hurdle.

If anyone wants a discount code for Adaptibar let me know and I can email a refer a friend code to you as well.
Kaplan is supposed to offer good MBE prep as well. I've heard good things about their big red book. They also offer an MBE Q bank and audio lectures for a fairly reasonable price and have a stand alone MBE combination course for extra practice.

pointmass

New

Post by pointmass » Wed May 24, 2017 10:15 am

Between Emmanuel and Adaptibar, which one has better answer explanations and guidelines? Is it worth getting both?

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Wed May 24, 2017 10:31 am

pointmass wrote:Between Emmanuel and Adaptibar, which one has better answer explanations and guidelines? Is it worth getting both?

I just answered this in the other thread, I would say get both. You can rent the S&T book for roughly $30 (through August) that is a pittance to pay for some great advice, good outlines + great answer explanations (I also hear the Civ Pro questions are solid).

Adaptibar has MORE questions and then has the tracking/algorithm to maximize your studying - Im a big proponent of working SMART not just hard.

Perfect world? Do both.

Adaptibar for tracking and flexibility (questions can be done on any web-enabled device, along with having iPhone and Android applications) so you dont have to lug around a relatively large book.

S&T gives the advice, outlines, better overall explanations (though Adaptibar arent generally bad) and better Civ Pro questions.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bsgoff

New

Multistate Goat or Emanuel Strategies & Tactics

Post by bsgoff » Wed May 24, 2017 1:43 pm

I need some help understanding which of the named study guides is more representative of actual MBE questions. Frankly, one study guides questions are much simpler than the other. In your opinion as someone who has taken the Bar and had exposure to these guides, which is the more accurate in terms of actual MBE questions?

Please just offer your opinion, I don't want to get banned for receiving examples. Thanks and good luck to all this July '17!

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Wed May 24, 2017 2:14 pm

maxmartin wrote:
SilvermanBarPrep wrote:Two books I often recommend have very similar titles but they are entirely different books with entirely different questions:

What is PMBR book? Is that the same as Kaplan blue MBE book?
It's a different book though I think Kaplan owns PMBR. But type PMBR into amazon and the book will come up.

SeewhathappensLarry

Bronze

Post by SeewhathappensLarry » Wed May 24, 2017 3:13 pm

I'm sure it varies but is it really necessary to supplement MBE prep for first-time takers? Using Themis now and haven't gotten to any MBE questions yet but just wondering if I should buy something else now too

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Wed May 24, 2017 3:21 pm

SeewhathappensLarry wrote:I'm sure it varies but is it really necessary to supplement MBE prep for first-time takers? Using Themis now and haven't gotten to any MBE questions yet but just wondering if I should buy something else now too

The traditional wisdom at this point is that BarBri, Kaplan and Themis do a fine job trying to be "all inclusive" to help the largest amount of people, and for many folks you CAN just use their questions and likely pass - however there are options that make OFFICIAL former MBE questions available - be it from the NBCE themselves, Adaptibar, BarMax or Emmanuel's Strategies and tactics.

Having taken two bars (based one and failed one) nothing can really beat doing as many questions as possible and it never hurts to practice with as close as an approximation as you can to what you will see in July - that is with REAL questions + explanation.

What is the most "all-inclusive?" That is adaptibar that will cost 365 after discount, the cheapest would be to rent the Emmanuel book through Barnes and Noble (but youd have to track your own results and it has about half as many questions).

Its about how much time you have and what your resources are - perfect world? Adaptibar + Emmanuel + Themis. It may sound like overkill but if you can do it you should be beyond prepared to pass.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

crumb cake

Bronze

Post by crumb cake » Wed May 24, 2017 3:30 pm

ndbigdave wrote:
pointmass wrote:Between Emmanuel and Adaptibar, which one has better answer explanations and guidelines? Is it worth getting both?

I just answered this in the other thread, I would say get both. You can rent the S&T book for roughly $30 (through August) that is a pittance to pay for some great advice, good outlines + great answer explanations (I also hear the Civ Pro questions are solid).

Adaptibar has MORE questions and then has the tracking/algorithm to maximize your studying - Im a big proponent of working SMART not just hard.

Perfect world? Do both.

Adaptibar for tracking and flexibility (questions can be done on any web-enabled device, along with having iPhone and Android applications) so you dont have to lug around a relatively large book.

S&T gives the advice, outlines, better overall explanations (though Adaptibar arent generally bad) and better Civ Pro questions.
Does it work scheduling this with Barbri? Considering Adaptibar but I'm leaning towards waiting until I know if I need additional help.

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Wed May 24, 2017 3:37 pm

crumb cake wrote:
ndbigdave wrote:

Perfect world? Do both.

Does it work scheduling this with Barbri? Considering Adaptibar but I'm leaning towards waiting until I know if I need additional help.
Its always tough to answer this because everyone is in a different position, with different strengths and weaknesses. I know barbri assigns such a boat load of busy work between reading, lectures and questions that it can feel difficult/impossible to add anything further. I have always been a self-studier because I worked full-time for every test I have taken, but I also witnesses friends and my girlfriend go through their traditional program and I always felt they could have eliminated/sped-up the lectures and mixed in some Barbri with a full program like Adaptibar. Barbri does produce results if you follow the program but it also instills unnecessary fear and anxiety through the process that I dont think is helpful during the prep process - there are also many (nearly all) who ultimately do well on the MBE but feel awful during the test and while waiting for results because barbri is different from the "real thing."

SeewhathappensLarry

Bronze

Post by SeewhathappensLarry » Wed May 24, 2017 4:05 pm

ndbigdave wrote:
SeewhathappensLarry wrote:I'm sure it varies but is it really necessary to supplement MBE prep for first-time takers? Using Themis now and haven't gotten to any MBE questions yet but just wondering if I should buy something else now too

The traditional wisdom at this point is that BarBri, Kaplan and Themis do a fine job trying to be "all inclusive" to help the largest amount of people, and for many folks you CAN just use their questions and likely pass - however there are options that make OFFICIAL former MBE questions available - be it from the NBCE themselves, Adaptibar, BarMax or Emmanuel's Strategies and tactics.

Having taken two bars (based one and failed one) nothing can really beat doing as many questions as possible and it never hurts to practice with as close as an approximation as you can to what you will see in July - that is with REAL questions + explanation.

What is the most "all-inclusive?" That is adaptibar that will cost 365 after discount, the cheapest would be to rent the Emmanuel book through Barnes and Noble (but youd have to track your own results and it has about half as many questions).

Its about how much time you have and what your resources are - perfect world? Adaptibar + Emmanuel + Themis. It may sound like overkill but if you can do it you should be beyond prepared to pass.

I've heard rave reviews of Adaptibar so I think that's probably a good call. Not sure about doing Emmanuel too but I'll leave that to how my progress goes

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Wed May 24, 2017 4:24 pm

SeewhathappensLarry wrote:
ndbigdave wrote:

I've heard rave reviews of Adaptibar so I think that's probably a good call. Not sure about doing Emmanuel too but I'll leave that to how my progress goes
Same here. Heard basically nothing but good things. 2 critiques that I have (one I heard and one of my own)

1 - Adaptibar uses "real" questions, however the program doesnt help raise people to the "elite" level score (it can get you to passing for sure, but maybe not into the 150s+) I have only "heard" this as a critique, not sure why this would be the case.

2 - I dont think the Civ Pro questions are particularly great (both in form of question + answers) however, the questions do cover a depth of issues which is good.

If you need a discount code ($30 off) feel free to PM me for a code.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”