Hours required for CA bar? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Alt123

New

Hours required for CA bar?

Post by Alt123 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:11 pm

I know this varies from person to person, but the MBE prep course at my school said "600 hours minimum", whereas I read tons of posts from people who said they didn't even spend 8 hours a day studying AND took weekends off.

Anyone have their own personal insights on this? Afraid I'll burn out doing 10 hours days, 6 days a week starting from when finals end.

InterAlia1961

Bronze

Re: Hours required for CA bar?

Post by InterAlia1961 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:32 pm

For seven weeks leading up to the Feb. 2017 administration, I did three PTs each week, six essays each week, and 50 questions a day, or 250 each week. I think I'll be taking it again. Just my gut. So, if you add in all three times (including this time)I took and failed this thing I'd say it takes somewhere in the neighborhood of 600.

Alt123

New

Post by Alt123 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:41 pm

InterAlia1961 wrote:For seven weeks leading up to the Feb. 2017 administration, I did three PTs each week, six essays each week, and 50 questions a day, or 250 each week. I think I'll be taking it again. Just my gut. So, if you add in all three times (including this time)I took and failed this thing I'd say it takes somewhere in the neighborhood of 600.
Did you participate in any kind of commercial prep program?

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:53 pm

It's different for everyone, but to me it's most important that you get quality studying in. What you dont want to do is just so 8 - 10 hours and it's not good, focused studying.

RavenAgain

New

Post by RavenAgain » Mon May 01, 2017 3:48 am

I would also say it depends so much on the quality, on the books, resources and tutor you have available. There is no too much or too early start.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ur_hero

Bronze

Post by ur_hero » Mon May 01, 2017 4:05 am

As much time as it takes you to comfortably and consistently (1) score 70%+ on mixed MBE practice question sets in timed-conditions; and (2) write well-organized essays for any given subject and sub-topic that address all major issues with accurate rule statements and solid analysis in timed-conditions.

InterAlia1961

Bronze

Post by InterAlia1961 » Mon May 01, 2017 7:59 am

@Alt123 The first two times I used Kaplan. Then, I used Celebration Bar review. Avoid Celebration. It's full of errors, including errors of law. I stopped using them about two months before the exam when I found a statement claiming that offers to settle could be admitted if the declarant made an admission. Holy smokes!!!

When I start studying for the next try, I'll concentrate on the MBE and rule statements. This time, I may have concentrated too much on the PTs. At least in July, there will only be one 1.5 hour PT.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”