July 2017 Texas Bar Exam

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Law-buddy

New

Re: July 2017 Texas Bar Exam

Postby Law-buddy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:09 pm

F r e a k i n g out here as well!
I don't have an MPRE yet, and I haven't been contacted by licensure analyst after the exam. Is that a bad sign? (Following previous responses).

Anyone without an MPRE in the same boat as me?

TXBar2017

New

Postby TXBar2017 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:20 pm

Law-buddy wrote:F r e a k i n g out here as well!
I don't have an MPRE yet, and I haven't been contacted by licensure analyst after the exam. Is that a bad sign? (Following previous responses).

I've already taken the MPRE, but I imagine they don't need to contact you because that's a little more straight forward than the previously mentioned C&F issue.

BVest

Platinum

Postby BVest » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:26 pm

TXBar2017 wrote:

I've already taken the MPRE, but I imagine they don't need to contact you because that's a little more straight forward than the previously mentioned C&F issue.

Agreed. I don't think they contact you for MPRE, they just put an asterisk by your name on the pass list. (Also, absent taking the August MPRE, which you would already be registered for by the time you take the Bar, there's nothing you could do to clear the asterisk before results come out, unlike a situation as above, where further uploads are needed).
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Law-buddy

New

Postby Law-buddy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:32 pm

Understood. Thanks!

TristeAvocado

New

Postby TristeAvocado » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:38 pm

Hello! I have not taken the MPRE either yet, but I got a message in my ATLAS account on Oct 13th. Maybe check your messages? In mine, they specifically said they do not have the bar exam scores yet, and told me about getting an asterisk in the event that I pass. I doubt they were even done grading on the 13th, so I would not worry if you didn't get a message. It seems they just send put messages/emails kind of arbitrarily.

boogerrr

New

Postby boogerrr » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:32 pm

So anxious and depressed I’m basically debilitated because of how ashamed and embarrassed I’m going to be when I find out I failed. Christmas is my favorite time of the year and it makes me so sad to know it’s going to be spent studying and being scared about another failure. I hate this so much.

DallasCedarSprings

New

Postby DallasCedarSprings » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:38 pm

TristeAvocado wrote:

Hello! I have not taken the MPRE either yet, but I got a message in my ATLAS account on Oct 13th. Maybe check your messages? In mine, they specifically said they do not have the bar exam scores yet, and told me about getting an asterisk in the event that I pass. I doubt they were even done grading on the 13th, so I would not worry if you didn't get a message. It seems they just send put messages/emails kind of arbitrarily.

Got mine on Aug 17

blatallic

New

Postby blatallic » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:38 pm

BVest wrote:
TXBar2017 wrote:

Agreed. I don't think they contact you for MPRE, they just put an asterisk by your name on the pass list. (Also, absent taking the August MPRE, which you would already be registered for by the time you take the Bar, there's nothing you could do to clear the asterisk before results come out, unlike a situation as above, where further uploads are needed).

They do contact you. I was contacted last week and informed that they had not received my score. But I also took the MPRE in another state.

DallasCedarSprings

New

Postby DallasCedarSprings » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:40 pm

Has anyone who is not attending the ceremony figured out the oath requirement yet? From what I can find on the website, it says that a judge, clerk or notary can administer the oath, but there's no requirement to actually send the paperwork to BLE. Am I missing something?

lawlaw08

New

Postby lawlaw08 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:44 pm

boogerrr wrote:So anxious and depressed I’m basically debilitated because of how ashamed and embarrassed I’m going to be when I find out I failed. Christmas is my favorite time of the year and it makes me so sad to know it’s going to be spent studying and being scared about another failure. I hate this so much.

I've had similar anxiety. But worst case is you take it again. The embarrassment will seem bigger to us than to our loved ones and peers. And we already formed a foundation for studying. We just need to practice if we do not get good news tomo/friday. I don't think that would require studying for 3 months like last time. But if you choose to do so, spending thanksgiving/xmas/NYE as you normally would is the way to go. You need those breaks and you also wouldn't get much done if you tried to study during those times anyways. Kick it into high gear starting in the new year and that'll give you almost a solid 2 months.

But this is all pointless because I'm sure we're all getting great news this week. I hope we can laugh about all this soon enough.

Law-buddy

New

Postby Law-buddy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:45 pm

I was confused because I received this similar message about MPRE score on June 7 which was before the exam, and not afterwards. I would assume it means nothig special then.

BVest

Platinum

Postby BVest » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:45 pm

DallasCedarSprings wrote:Has anyone who is not attending the ceremony figured out the oath requirement yet? From what I can find on the website, it says that a judge, clerk or notary can administer the oath, but there's no requirement to actually send the paperwork to BLE. Am I missing something?

You are not missing anything. You take your oath, get it signed, and attach it to the back of your license. You don't send it in.

GarnetTheLawDiva

New

Postby GarnetTheLawDiva » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:47 pm

BVest wrote:
DallasCedarSprings wrote:Has anyone who is not attending the ceremony figured out the oath requirement yet? From what I can find on the website, it says that a judge, clerk or notary can administer the oath, but there's no requirement to actually send the paperwork to BLE. Am I missing something?

You are not missing anything. You take your oath, get it signed, and attach it to the back of your license. You don't send it in.

The next step is just choosing who you want to administer it. I have a few judges in mind. Let's just all remember to make it memorable!

blatallic

New

Postby blatallic » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:55 pm

Does anyone know how the ceremony is on the 20th? I think I would want to have a more personal experience to make it more memorable. But I don't know any judges. I would feel weird asking a judge that does not know me to swear me in. What do you guys think?

Estecontre

Bronze

Postby Estecontre » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:58 pm

lawlaw08 wrote:
boogerrr wrote:So anxious and depressed I’m basically debilitated because of how ashamed and embarrassed I’m going to be when I find out I failed. Christmas is my favorite time of the year and it makes me so sad to know it’s going to be spent studying and being scared about another failure. I hate this so much.

I've had similar anxiety. But worst case is you take it again. The embarrassment will seem bigger to us than to our loved ones and peers. And we already formed a foundation for studying. We just need to practice if we do not get good news tomo/friday. I don't think that would require studying for 3 months like last time. But if you choose to do so, spending thanksgiving/xmas/NYE as you normally would is the way to go. You need those breaks and you also wouldn't get much done if you tried to study during those times anyways. Kick it into high gear starting in the new year and that'll give you almost a solid 2 months.

But this is all pointless because I'm sure we're all getting great news this week. I hope we can laugh about all this soon enough.

I agree with this sentiment. I have been through this three times, with this being my third. I have a bad feeling that I failed and if I do, it'll suck for a day or two, but I'll get over it. For those of us that do not get good news, it will eventually pass. You're not going to be the first or last person to fail and have to take it again. I actually know someone who took it 5 times before they finally passed. I also know people who are less "equipped" than me and they passed before I have. If you fail, take a couple of days or even weeks to assess where you went wrong, it could be your study habits or maybe you had bad luck with the essays or some other part of the test. I'll be one of the first to say, I have studied less and less each time because I had to tweak my study habits and found what worked and what didn't work for me. Over time I came to find out you don't really need to study every single day, I mean Monday through Friday yeah, but I would take it light on the weekends and sometimes no studying at all.
Last edited by Estecontre on Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BVest

Platinum

Postby BVest » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:59 pm

blatallic wrote:Does anyone know how the ceremony is on the 20th? I think I would want to have a more personal experience to make it more memorable. But I don't know any judges. I would feel weird asking a judge that does not know me to swear me in. What do you guys think?

Local bar associations often have their own swearing in ceremonies, at least outside of Austin.

Otherwise here's a list of people who can swear you in.

E: as to the first part of your question, new attorneys are seated on the floor at Erwin Center and there is a large stage at the front where the Justices of SCOTx and CCA sit; family/friends sit in the arena seats on the lower level. Several people speak (head of BLE, Prez of state bar, highest scorer, CJ Hecht), and then everyone stands and takes the oath. The program includes a certificate pre-"signed" by the Chief that says he administered your oath. I don't recall for sure, but I feel like it was about a 45-minute ceremony. There are refreshments in the lobby after (cookies and lemonade, IIRC).

E2: Looks like the state bar has a flickr album for visuals: https://www.flickr.com/photos/texasbar/ ... 6813543206

Law-buddy

New

Postby Law-buddy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:20 pm

Anyone knows how many days after the result they post breakdowns of scores? Does it appear in ATLAS account?

randomperson93

New

Postby randomperson93 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:28 pm

Law-buddy wrote:Anyone knows how many days after the result they post breakdowns of scores? Does it appear in ATLAS account?

I don't think that you get a breakdown of scores unless you fail. I think it is in your Atlas account, or at least in the letter that they send out. Sorry that doesn't fully answer your question

GarnetTheLawDiva

New

Postby GarnetTheLawDiva » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:40 pm

Law-buddy wrote:Anyone knows how many days after the result they post breakdowns of scores? Does it appear in ATLAS account?

I think all we get our scaled MBE score and our overall score.

Estecontre

Bronze

Postby Estecontre » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:46 pm

GarnetTheLawDiva wrote:

I think all you get is your scaled MBE score and your overall score.

You get a breakdown of all your scores, but not what you got for each essay. You'll get a percentile rank and that's it (this is if you failed). If you pass, you get your MBE score and overall score.

GarnetTheLawDiva

New

Postby GarnetTheLawDiva » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:47 pm

Estecontre wrote:
GarnetTheLawDiva wrote:

You get a breakdown of all your scores, but not what you got for each essay. You'll get a percentile rank and that's it.

Ohhhhh! Even better..... I hope.

MnM22

Bronze

Postby MnM22 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:49 pm

So...TBQH, I imagine we're not getting anything today. Here's to good news tomorrow!

Estecontre

Bronze

Postby Estecontre » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:50 pm

GarnetTheLawDiva wrote:
Estecontre wrote:
GarnetTheLawDiva wrote:

You get a breakdown of all your scores, but not what you got for each essay. You'll get a percentile rank and that's it.

Ohhhhh! Even better..... I hope.

I had to edit my comment. Pass and fail get different scores. You get a more detailed breakdown if you fail.

DallasCedarSprings

New

Postby DallasCedarSprings » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:54 pm

MnM22 wrote:So...TBQH, I imagine we're not getting anything today. Here's to good news tomorrow!

Ugh!

boogerrr

New

Postby boogerrr » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:06 pm

lawlaw08 wrote:

I really hope you’re right! I’m praying for the best news for us all <3

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?