July 2017 Texas Bar Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
TXBar2017

New

Re: July 2017 Texas Bar Exam

Post by TXBar2017 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:18 pm

BVest wrote:
CAstudent2036 wrote:
BVest wrote:
CAstudent2036 wrote:I know the BLE says November 3rd. Do they ever release early? Does anyone have historic data on when they said they would release and when they actually released?
They almost always release a day early. Watch Willett's twitter feed for more info.
Thanks this is helpful. Should be interesting to see if Willett says anything after being nominated to the 5th Circuit though. After tweeting every hour for three years he seems to have gone silent since September 28.
Bad news on this front. My inside source informs me that Justice Willett intends to maintain his social media hiatus and that any updates will come from BLE.

If I get any heads up, I’ll be sure to share.
You the real MVP

GarnetTheLawDiva

New

Post by GarnetTheLawDiva » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:23 pm

Just posting to join the conversation with my fellow bar takers.

TX TANK

New

Post by TX TANK » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:56 pm

On pins and needles here...

Estecontre

Bronze

Post by Estecontre » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:59 pm

TX TANK wrote:On pins and needles here...
Well, we're about a week away. How's everybody feeling?

Me, personally...I only had to improve marginally (missed it by 20 points last time). I know I definitely did better on the MPT, but the P&E questions I might have stumbled. I missed some easy ones on the civil and the criminal were just out of left field so those are a complete toss up. Who knows with the MBE, but I definitely did more practice questions through Adaptibar this time than last time and with a higher percentage. The Essays are the only good thing I feel about. Albeit not every essay.

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:00 pm

How easy or difficult was it to discern the subject matter quickly on the 12 exams? Are they 30 minute essays?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:07 pm

Yes, they're 30 minute essays. Or at least you get 3 hours for 6 questions (and you'd be wise to divide your time relatively evenly).

It's fairly easy to discern the subject matter of the essay. Also, the essays are paired. E.g. if Q1 is family law, Q2 is also family law.

The pairings are as follows (though the order of the pairing varies):

Biz orgs X 2
family law X 2
Wills and Estates X 2
UCC X 2 (Articles 2, 3, 9; usually just one per question but sometimes a question has a mix of two)
Property X 2 (usually one basic real property and one oil & gas)
Consumer Law paired with either Trusts or Guardianship
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

TXBar2017

New

Post by TXBar2017 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:22 pm

Estecontre wrote:

Me, personally...I only had to improve marginally (missed it by 20 points last time). I know I definitely did better on the MPT, but the P&E questions I might have stumbled. I missed some easy ones on the civil and the criminal were just out of left field so those are a complete toss up. Who knows with the MBE, but I definitely did more practice questions through Adaptibar this time than last time and with a higher percentage. The Essays are the only good thing I feel about. Albeit not every essay.

MPT and P&E: Felt a little more rushed than I thought I would for the MPT, but structured well for the most part and may have had a hurried conclusion. Felt good about the civil P&E, crim less so. I know I got like 3 wrong on the crim so that sucks.

MBE: Morning session was fine for me, felt like it was relative to the Themis and Adaptibar questions. Afternoon session seemed way harder, had to make a few more educated guesses than I'd like to have, but overall I feel confident in it. I got a 151 on the Themis Midterm and then a combined 150 on the last 100 question Themis PQ's. I just hope I performed the same come test day. I hate how Themis made their last sets of PQ's harder just a few days before the exam, on the last two 100 sets I felt great at 75%, but then I think my last set of 20 or something was a 60% and the questions were a little more obscure. I don't see how I could've lost that much info in just a short amount of days though, but we'll see I guess.

Essays: I feel like I atleast scored a little on each one. I feel really bad about the family law pro se litigant one and the landlord tenant question. Every other question I feel like I at least spotted the issues, albeit may have came to the wrong conclusion. I'm happy I caught the joinder rqmt for the O&G lease question since it was the couple's homestead, idk how I remembered that but I did for some reason.

I felt like I surely did enough to pass right after, but each day has left me only dwelling on what I didn't know and forgetting what I felt good about. Fuck this wait sucks.

TX TANK

New

Post by TX TANK » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:33 pm

Estecontre wrote:

I have absolutely no idea whether or not I passed or not. At this point, I just want to know so I can either start practicing law or keep studying.

TX TANK

New

Post by TX TANK » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:38 pm

I find myself obsessively checking my email, the BLE page, and my Atlas account. I know it won't be there yet, but I check anyway. Big sigh.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Estecontre

Bronze

Post by Estecontre » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:22 pm

TXBar2017 wrote:
Estecontre wrote:

MPT and P&E: Felt a little more rushed than I thought I would for the MPT, but structured well for the most part and may have had a hurried conclusion. Felt good about the civil P&E, crim less so. I know I got like 3 wrong on the crim so that sucks.

MBE: Morning session was fine for me, felt like it was relative to the Themis and Adaptibar questions. Afternoon session seemed way harder, had to make a few more educated guesses than I'd like to have, but overall I feel confident in it. I got a 151 on the Themis Midterm and then a combined 150 on the last 100 question Themis PQ's. I just hope I performed the same come test day. I hate how Themis made their last sets of PQ's harder just a few days before the exam, on the last two 100 sets I felt great at 75%, but then I think my last set of 20 or something was a 60% and the questions were a little more obscure. I don't see how I could've lost that much info in just a short amount of days though, but we'll see I guess.

Essays: I feel like I atleast scored a little on each one. I feel really bad about the family law pro se litigant one and the landlord tenant question. Every other question I feel like I at least spotted the issues, albeit may have came to the wrong conclusion. I'm happy I caught the joinder rqmt for the O&G lease question since it was the couple's homestead, idk how I remembered that but I did for some reason.

I felt like I surely did enough to pass right after, but each day has left me only dwelling on what I didn't know and forgetting what I felt good about. Fuck this wait sucks.
You had me freaking out for awhile there...I didn't remember a pro series litigant essay question...but I looked them up and I remembered it now. I did okay on that one, the other family law question was definitely better for me. But correct me if I'm wrong, it doesn't matter if they were pro series litigants, that wasn't the point of the question.

Anyways, I know I did bad on the commercial paper and trusts. I answered enough to score points, but they were by far my weakest. Followed by the oil and gas, I got half right and half wrong. Business organizations and secured transactions went great. I did good on the family law and okay on the wills. Or at least that's my perception.

TXBar2017

New

Post by TXBar2017 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:26 pm

Estecontre wrote:
TXBar2017 wrote:
Estecontre wrote:

You had me freaking out for awhile there...I didn't remember a pro series litigant essay question...but I looked them up and I remembered it now. I did okay on that one, the other family law question was definitely better for me. But correct me if I'm wrong, it doesn't matter if they were pro series litigants, that wasn't the point of the question.

Anyways, I know I did bad on the commercial paper and trusts. I answered enough to score points, but they were by far my weakest. Followed by the oil and gas, I got half right and half wrong. Business organizations and secured transactions went great. I did good on the family law and okay on the wills. Or at least that's my perception.

From what I went back and looked at vaguely was that it matters in that he had to be advised of his right to an attorney and instructed on different stuff before he could be jailed for contempt. It definitely had something to do with something obscure, I'm just not remembering what. However, most people didn't catch it whatever it was, so it shouldn't be too big of a deal that we didn't catch it.

Estecontre

Bronze

Post by Estecontre » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:29 pm

TXBar2017 wrote:
Estecontre wrote:
TXBar2017 wrote:
Estecontre wrote:

From what I went back and looked at vaguely was that it matters in that he had to be advised of his right to an attorney and instructed on different stuff before he could be jailed for contempt. It definitely had something to do with something obscure, I'm just not remembering what. However, most people didn't catch it whatever it was, so it shouldn't be too big of a deal that we didn't catch it.
Good point. I never even thought about it....it does say he filed pro se. Damn...oh well, I don't think it'll cost me too much.

P_S_Law

New

Post by P_S_Law » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:03 am

Estecontre wrote:
P_S_Law wrote:
Estecontre wrote:
P_S_Law wrote:does anyone know in regards to character and fitness, do you have to separately apply for it or was it part of the application process while applying to take the bar?
Its part of the application. If you haven't heard from them by now you're safe
Thank you! I have been going crazy checking the BLE website and not hearing anything from them lol
You're welcome! It's under the character and fitness section on their website "After completing its own investigation, the Board shall thereupon
determine whether, on all the documentation before it at this
stage, the Board is satisfied that the Declarant possesses the good
moral character and fitness necessary for admission to the Texas
Bar and shall advise the Declarant accordingly, no later than the
270th day after the date the Declaration and fees were filed with
the Board."

There's also this relevant section "After completing its investigation on the Application, the Board
shall determine whether, on all the documentation before it, the
Board is satisfied that the Applicant possesses the requisite
present good moral character and fitness. The Board must advise
an Applicant who timely filed a Declaration of the Board’s
determination no later than the 150th day after the date the
Application or Re-application and fees were filed. The Board
must advise all other Applicants of its determination no later than
270 days after the date that the Application and fees were filed. If
the determination is that the Applicant does not have the requisite
present good moral character and fitness, such notice shall
include:
(1) a detailed analysis of the results of the investigation; and
(2) an objective list of actions, if any, which the Applicant may
take to correct the deficiencies and become qualified for
admission to the bar after passing the bar examination."
Thanks for locating the information and posting it. I ended up calling TX Bar and they said the same thing, if i don't hear from them then its a good thing :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

P_S_Law

New

Post by P_S_Law » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:08 am

TX TANK wrote:I find myself obsessively checking my email, the BLE page, and my Atlas account. I know it won't be there yet, but I check anyway. Big sigh.
I can totally relate to you, right after the NY results came out, i have been logging in daily to my atlas account

np1211

New

Post by np1211 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:27 pm

P_S_Law wrote:
TX TANK wrote:I find myself obsessively checking my email, the BLE page, and my Atlas account. I know it won't be there yet, but I check anyway. Big sigh.
I can totally relate to you, right after the NY results came out, i have been logging in daily to my atlas account

i am glad i am not the only one. I went through different phases at first i was sure i failed , then i felt pretty good and thought i passed and as the result dates are getting closer i am not sure anymore what to think.

lumberjack00

New

Post by lumberjack00 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:46 pm

Because they scale everything off the median MBE, do we already know what the pass percentage is (or at least a close estimate)?

lovesthelaw

New

Post by lovesthelaw » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:50 pm

I am so incredibly anxious. Could they be posted as soon as Wednesday?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Estecontre

Bronze

Post by Estecontre » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:29 pm

lovesthelaw wrote:I am so incredibly anxious. Could they be posted as soon as Wednesday?
I wouldnt say it's impossible, but I highly doubtful it. They usually release on Thursday, but for the February test last time around they were released a week early on April 28 instead of in May.

dtjustice

New

Post by dtjustice » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:02 pm

Anyone have the link for results so I can join everyone in the contestant refreshing the page until they post?! I am so excited to see who pulled through from repeating from last February!! I hope everyone who joined the group on WhatsApp tells me they pass beforee they just abandon me as lawyers!! Lol

I'm going to set up the Feb 2018 WhatsApp study group as soon as I have someone join and it let's me create the new group. If interested, please send me a Pm or text me with your first name and phone number. My number is (325) 267-1160.

Debbie

leib10

Bronze

Post by leib10 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:32 pm

lumberjack00 wrote:Because they scale everything off the median MBE, do we already know what the pass percentage is (or at least a close estimate)?
The average pass rate for first time takers from Texas law schools over the past 5 years is 83%. Which isn't bad at all.

TX TANK

New

Post by TX TANK » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:48 am

dtjustice wrote:Anyone have the link for results so I can join everyone in the contestant refreshing the page until they post?! I am so excited to see who pulled through from repeating from last February!! I hope everyone who joined the group on WhatsApp tells me they pass beforee they just abandon me as lawyers!! Lol

I'm going to set up the Feb 2018 WhatsApp study group as soon as I have someone join and it let's me create the new group. If interested, please send me a Pm or text me with your first name and phone number. My number is (325) 267-1160.

Debbie

Here is the Texas Bar pass list on the BLE website. Nothing there yet. https://ble.texas.gov/bar-exam
Of course, if you want to be truly obsessive about it, be sure to check your email and atlas account every half hour. Lol!

If I fail, I will definitely join the WhatsApp study group. I would like the support of others going through the same experience. I always kept to myself in law school and through my bar prep. I don't want to be isolated if I have to do this again. Fingers crossed I'll somehow miraculously pass, but I'm not holding my breath.

Sarah

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TXBar2017

New

Post by TXBar2017 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:18 am

How is everyone distracting themselves this week? I'm at work and hoping my assignments build up like crazy, but as of right now they're pretty low.

Estecontre

Bronze

Post by Estecontre » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:16 pm

Has anyone received an e-mail from the BLE yet? It's so weird, but last time around we had received an e-mail from them by this time.

Thrive

Bronze

Post by Thrive » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:32 pm

Estecontre wrote:Has anyone received an e-mail from the BLE yet? It's so weird, but last time around we had received an e-mail from them by this time.
Email about what? You stated a release on Thursday, right?

Estecontre

Bronze

Post by Estecontre » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:36 pm

Thrive wrote:
Estecontre wrote:Has anyone received an e-mail from the BLE yet? It's so weird, but last time around we had received an e-mail from them by this time.
Email about what? You stated a release on Thursday, right?
I can't remember, but last time I took it some of us received an e-mail (I think it was just about making sure you had your password for your account since results were going to be released soon). Maybe? I don't remember, the BLE website states that they expect results to be released during the first week of November, which is this week. They typically say they'll be released on a Friday, but release them a day early.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”