IL going UBE?

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
lglblnd

New

IL going UBE?

Postby lglblnd » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:05 am

I have been trying to follow the Supreme Court of IL's decision on making the bar exam UBE. Last I heard the board approved it and they were waiting on the courts to decide whether to implement. I may be wrong - I am simply looking for any information on this topic. I am licensed in MO and I want to have IL under my belt as well, but I don't want to waste the time and money if IL goes UBE and the rules would allow a transfer. I hope someone on here has some valid inside information of some sort! - Thanks!

Anoni-mous

New

Re: IL going UBE?

Postby Anoni-mous » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:21 am

Just passed IL and curious as well. How will IL going UBE affect those who have already passed this Bar?

lglblnd

New

Postby lglblnd » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:28 am

From what I have read up on other state's UBE rules... you have to sit for a UBE exam in order to transfer it. Therefore, if you passed IL without it being a UBE, you'd still have to sit for a UBE. However, that sort of goes to my concern that since I took UBE BEFORE IL adopted it... does that mean I have to sit for IL too because I tested before the rules were implemented? SOOOOOO many questions!!!

cnk1220

Silver

Postby cnk1220 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:34 am

Anoni-mous wrote:Just passed IL and curious as well. How will IL going UBE affect those who have already passed this Bar?

You won't have a "ube score" if you took a pre-ube exam.
So unfortunately, you wouldn't be able to transfer your score earned in IL (even once IL goes UBE) to another UBE state.

maxmartin

Silver

Postby maxmartin » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:43 am

To make things worse, some Jurisdiction only accept the later (after UBE adoption) scores but not earlier. It really depends how they formulate the transfer rules.

lglblnd

New

Postby lglblnd » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:56 am

You're exactly right. I wish we could know more information on the topic because it seemed as though the committee that recommended its adoption stressed reciprocity and a more flexible job market. I guess we will see!

MrT

Bronze

Postby MrT » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:56 pm

maxmartin wrote:To make things worse, some Jurisdiction only accept the later (after UBE adoption) scores but not earlier. It really depends how they formulate the transfer rules.

Pretty positive this is wrong. I haven't gone through every jurisdiction but none that I have looked at won't accept an old score unless it's past the time listed in the link below.

http://www.ncbex.org/pubs/bar-admissions-guide/2017/mobile/index.html#p=44

cnk1220

Silver

Postby cnk1220 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:03 pm

MrT wrote:
maxmartin wrote:To make things worse, some Jurisdiction only accept the later (after UBE adoption) scores but not earlier. It really depends how they formulate the transfer rules.

Pretty positive this is wrong. I haven't gone through every jurisdiction but none that I have looked at won't accept an old score unless it's past the time listed in the link below.

Usually the time period is anywhere 24-36 months to transfer an existing UBE score (from the date the score was obtained) to another UBE JX- each state varies. NCBE has exact data for each state on this!

maxmartin

Silver

Postby maxmartin » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:08 pm

MrT wrote:

Pretty sure I am right.
http://www.ncbex.org/news/oregon-adopts ... ation-ube/

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�