New York Bar Exam Results [MEGATHREAD]

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
happyhour1122

Silver
Posts: 1060
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:08 pm

Re: New York Bar Exam Results [MEGATHREAD]

Postby happyhour1122 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:41 pm

Thank you!
i still don't know how I got 150 on essay..

TLSJ

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:13 pm

Re: New York Bar Exam Results [MEGATHREAD]

Postby TLSJ » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:16 pm

First Attempt Passed. 169.9 MBE/342 Overall

Take Barbri, do the ENTIRE COURSE. I cannot stress that enough. People think they are doing well on a certain subject so they start focusing elsewhere and not following the set schedule. Follow the schedule and brush up on your "problem-subjects" after doing EVERYTHING the course has planned for the day (including the 2-3 hours of study for the next days materials).

voxpopuli

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:53 pm

Re: New York Bar Exam Results [MEGATHREAD]

Postby voxpopuli » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:00 pm

PASSED. Foreign lawyer first attempt.

Score: 307
MBE: 166.5

Only used Barbri materials and completed 92% of the Barbri course. Congrats to everyone who made it!

MRSP

New
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:41 pm

Re: New York Bar Exam Results [MEGATHREAD]

Postby MRSP » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:55 am

bar_is_killing_me wrote:As a repeat taker who only had 3 weeks to study, I am super ecstatic!


Happyhour can I pm you and ask what to do next for licensing? You seem to know a lot on these forums!


Congrats!! :D May I ask what you did for studying?

MRSP

New
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:41 pm

Re: New York Bar Exam Results [MEGATHREAD]

Postby MRSP » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:57 am

cnk1220 wrote:
Adepass wrote:Unfortunately I failed this February exam with a total score of 252. The MBE was 232.5.
Anyone who was working and passed the February exam with good MBE score should please give me a clue on what they did.
I used Kaplan the last time.

Thanks



I got a 150 mbe, not like some of the 160/170 people, but also still good enough. I used emmanuel and adaptibar (as well as babrbri), but I found emm + abar was closer to the format of the real Qs. did about 2500-3000 mbes before exam day.



Did you find Adaptibar and Emmanuel used the same NCBE questions? Or were they both helpful regardless of the overlap?

User avatar
cnk1220

Silver
Posts: 987
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:48 pm

Re: New York Bar Exam Results [MEGATHREAD]

Postby cnk1220 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:44 am

MRSP wrote:
cnk1220 wrote:
Adepass wrote:Unfortunately I failed this February exam with a total score of 252. The MBE was 232.5.
Anyone who was working and passed the February exam with good MBE score should please give me a clue on what they did.
I used Kaplan the last time.

Thanks



I got a 150 mbe, not like some of the 160/170 people, but also still good enough. I used emmanuel and adaptibar (as well as babrbri), but I found emm + abar was closer to the format of the real Qs. did about 2500-3000 mbes before exam day.



Did you find Adaptibar and Emmanuel used the same NCBE questions? Or were they both helpful regardless of the overlap?



Qs overlapped since both use ncbe released Qs and there's only so many. Adaptibar is helpful for quantity, emmanual helpful for the mini chapters before each topic and tips/tricks to eliminate wrong choices!

bar_is_killing_me

New
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:33 pm

Re: New York Bar Exam Results [MEGATHREAD]

Postby bar_is_killing_me » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:17 am

MRSP wrote:
bar_is_killing_me wrote:As a repeat taker who only had 3 weeks to study, I am super ecstatic!


Happyhour can I pm you and ask what to do next for licensing? You seem to know a lot on these forums!


Congrats!! :D May I ask what you did for studying?


Thank you! What I said was a bit misleading. Below is what I did but I do NOT recommend this. You need to study full-time for about 8 weeks. I was successful because in aggregate when including the time I spent studying for previous administrations, I studied for about 7-8 weeks. There's obviously a disconnect between the administrations and you will forget many rules, however, you will know what the process entails and how to efficiently prepare and study.

For F2016, I had four weeks to study and I failed by 5 points. For J2016, I did not take any time off, and thought I could rely on my previous study materials and whatever information I had retained. Obviously, this did not work, however, I was able to refine and diversify my study materials. For F2017, I planned to use various sources of practice questions (Kaplan, NCBE, Barbri, Themis) and also use an entirely different set of outlines and flashcards so my mind can relearn the law. I think if use the same materials you won't learn anything new because your brain has seen it before. If you a multiple repeat taker, I'd suggest taking a different course. Try Themis. I've heard excellent things about them.

Anyways, leading up to those three weeks, I compiled new outlines and a list of questions (its issue and rule) I got wrong from my previous studies. I used these to review each MBE subject one by one. After reviewing a subject, I did 50 questions on that subject for reinforcement and map out the allocation of my time. I completed this in about 10 days as it took me about 1.5 days per subject. I used the next 5 days to do about 100 questions daily, compile missed questions and review random sections of my outlines. I squeezed in a diagnostic simulation exam under timed conditions (100 questions). This took 1 day (3 hours for the test and 5-6 hours going over each question and answer and reviewing relevant portions of my outlines). I then spent the final five days reading MEE outlines and reviewed past essay questions. I carved out 1-2 hours each day during this five day stretch reviewing BLACK LETTER LAW for the MBE subjects. On Sunday, I reviewed my list of questions and rules I got wrong. On Monday, I spent an hour for MPT prep by watching some videos and reviewing notes I had taken in my previous studies. The morning of the MEE, I reviewed random sections of my MEE outline. In the evening I reviewed random MBE outlines.

It was very intense. I got lucky for the MEE because what I had reviewed came up on the test (not all but about half the issues). I'm not sure how one can prepare for the MPT other than reviewing the different type of formats. You just need to read the instructions very carefully and do what you're told.

In the end, as a full-time worker, this is what I had to do in order to pass. If I could do it all over again, I would have pushed back my employment start-date and studied full-time in the summer. You can also try studying part-time over a 3-4 month period and then take 2-3 weeks off but I think this is absolute torture and requires a great deal of discipline and drive.

ndp1234

Bronze
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 12:30 pm

Re: New York Bar Exam Results [MEGATHREAD]

Postby ndp1234 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:24 pm

cnk1220 wrote:
ndp1234 wrote:
happyhour1122 wrote:
cnk1220 wrote:
happyhour1122 wrote:
PersistentAttorney wrote:
happyhour1122 wrote:PASSSED 288888888888888888
141 MBE.


Wow and you were worried about your essays?? Passed 275 - 142 MBE :D :D :D :D :D :D


i can't believe my score for the essay especially. i requested my break down so I want to know :)))))))) omg i'm so happy for all of us



Now I kinda wanna pay $25 and find out what I got on trusts and property. But like $25 is also the cost of Anastasia BH stick foundation, tough choices here.


I am sacrificed my dinner. :p



Choose your dinner and makeup choices before ordering the ncbe report. It's literally just a subtraction exercise between your total score and your MBE score. It only tells you your total essay score, your total MBE, and your final total score


Ohh, well can't we just do the math on that? like 301-150(mbe) = 151 essays?
I wanted a score breakdown. lol


Yep. Literally "Written Scaled Score...MBE Scaled Score...UBE Total Score" No raw scores nor any per essay breakdown. I remember being really disappointed since I want to know how I got the essay score I did without answering a question.

Jmazz88

New
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:34 am

Re: New York Bar Exam Results [MEGATHREAD]

Postby Jmazz88 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:38 pm

140 MBE/282 total.

Did 80% of Barbri (although I definitely didn't spend the amount of time on certain things as they suggested), but I did every assigned MBE question. I also did some MBE questions from the Emanuel's book. Studied about 4-6 hours a day, 7 days a week. Probably only wrote out about 5-6 essays, as I felt without knowing the law doing the essays were pointless (although I knew that I would not have any issues with timing, which I didn't).

I also did not do any of the practice MPT's. Truthfully, if you are a capable writer, I think maybe practicing 1 or 2 of them would be sufficient.

bar_is_killing_me

New
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:33 pm

Re: New York Bar Exam Results [MEGATHREAD]

Postby bar_is_killing_me » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:07 am

Jmazz88 wrote:140 MBE/282 total.

Did 80% of Barbri (although I definitely didn't spend the amount of time on certain things as they suggested), but I did every assigned MBE question. I also did some MBE questions from the Emanuel's book. Studied about 4-6 hours a day, 7 days a week. Probably only wrote out about 5-6 essays, as I felt without knowing the law doing the essays were pointless (although I knew that I would not have any issues with timing, which I didn't).

I also did not do any of the practice MPT's. Truthfully, if you are a capable writer, I think maybe practicing 1 or 2 of them would be sufficient.


How many weeks did you have to study?

Jmazz88

New
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:34 am

Re: New York Bar Exam Results [MEGATHREAD]

Postby Jmazz88 » Mon May 01, 2017 2:55 pm

bar_is_killing_me wrote:
Jmazz88 wrote:140 MBE/282 total.

Did 80% of Barbri (although I definitely didn't spend the amount of time on certain things as they suggested), but I did every assigned MBE question. I also did some MBE questions from the Emanuel's book. Studied about 4-6 hours a day, 7 days a week. Probably only wrote out about 5-6 essays, as I felt without knowing the law doing the essays were pointless (although I knew that I would not have any issues with timing, which I didn't).

I also did not do any of the practice MPT's. Truthfully, if you are a capable writer, I think maybe practicing 1 or 2 of them would be sufficient.


How many weeks did you have to study?


Started December 23, and studied up until the day before the exam.



Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FlGaEsquire and 17 guests