Will my firm get madbro if I ask them to reimburse Themis + Ipad Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
redsox550

Will my firm get madbro if I ask them to reimburse Themis + Ipad

Post by redsox550 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:28 am

v100, I can see a firm being like 'wtf?! you trying to get us to pay for an ipad, what you think this is?!!!' and that it will negatively hurt my reputation. It is a V100 but an office that rarely deals with people having to take the bar exam since it mostly hires laterals already sworn in, in the current state.

They already agreed to reimburse "whatever bar course I want"

happyhour1122

Silver

Re: Will my firm get madbro if I ask them to reimburse Themis + Ipad

Post by happyhour1122 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:43 am

Just a personal opinion, i think it depends on where you stand in that firm.....
As a recent graduate, I'd be thankful with the bar prep only. I-pad? hm.....not feeling comfortable.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:06 am

I would say the odds of getting reimbursed for an ipad are probably 50/50. They are either going to reimburse it or they aren't.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tiny Rick!

Bronze

Post by Tiny Rick! » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:07 am

Themis doesn't charge you for an iPad. It's just a bonus when you sign up for the course. So of course your firm will reimburse you for the cost of the Themis program.

This is the entire reason why Themis offers the free iPad - so people pick their course over Barbri's. I know plenty of people who did not have a problem with this (including me last year).

Phil Brooks

Bronze

Post by Phil Brooks » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:16 am

I did this without any problem. It also helps that Themis, even with the Ipad, is significantly cheaper than its competitors. So you can either ask your firm to reimburse you $2,995 for just Barbri, or you can ask your firm to reimburse you $1,995 for Themis and you get a free IPad. Easy decision.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

redsox550

Post by redsox550 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:26 am

Tiny Rick! wrote:Themis doesn't charge you for an iPad. It's just a bonus when you sign up for the course. So of course your firm will reimburse you for the cost of the Themis program.

This is the entire reason why Themis offers the free iPad - so people pick their course over Barbri's. I know plenty of people who did not have a problem with this (including me last year).
Themis told me the e receipt is going to look something like this

Themis Bar Review Course: ~$2000
Technology package (Ipad included) $500
Total: $2,500

Tiny Rick!

Bronze

Post by Tiny Rick! » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:31 am

Your firm still won't care. And if you'd like to confirm, ask HR or recruiting. They will tell you yes in advance and then you can sleep at night.

happyhour1122

Silver

Post by happyhour1122 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:25 am

redsox550 wrote:
Tiny Rick! wrote:Themis doesn't charge you for an iPad. It's just a bonus when you sign up for the course. So of course your firm will reimburse you for the cost of the Themis program.

I bet they don't even read what the $500 is for. Just submit it.

ur_hero

Bronze

Post by ur_hero » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:57 pm

redsox550 wrote:

It's cheaper than barbri still, so the person handling reimbursements won't bat an eye most likely at the "technology package" item. (this was my experience, V100 firm). Even if they do ask you to clarify what that means, doesn't seem like a big deal.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

redsox550

Post by redsox550 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:08 pm

How about if I ask them to also reimburse Adaptibar?

Tiny Rick!

Bronze

Post by Tiny Rick! » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:12 pm

redsox550 wrote:How about if I ask them to also reimburse Adaptibar?
Firms usually have a rule against reimbursing study aids. You can always figure out for sure by ASKING YOUR FIRM. Plus you don't need it.

GoBills4life

Bronze

Post by GoBills4life » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:43 pm

Points for the thread title

ur_hero

Bronze

Post by ur_hero » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:06 pm

Yeah, to be honest it's basically in the hands of the person doing reimbursements at your firm. Ask what the policy is - they will be happy to answer you with specifics.

If it were a small firm where the Partner(s) had visibility, I might be intimidated....But seriously, staff, including Recruiters and Billing, is there to help you and will generally be friendly, open, etc., as long as you're nice to them - unless they're having a bad day.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

redsox550

Post by redsox550 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:15 pm

ur_hero wrote:Yeah, to be honest it's basically in the hands of the person doing reimbursements at your firm. Ask what the policy is - they will be happy to answer you with specifics.

If it were a small firm where the Partner(s) had visibility, I might be intimidated....But seriously, staff, including Recruiters and Billing, is there to help you and will generally be friendly, open, etc., as long as you're nice to them - unless they're having a bad day.
Thanks for the advice guys, the only issue with the "just ask" approach is, imo there is a DRASTICALLY better shot at this slipping through if I dont specifically go up to someone and say "HEY if Themis will charge you guys $500 dollars for a $400 Ipad that is not necessary and in addition to the bar course you already are paying for, you think thatll be cool bro?"

So the only way to do this is to submit and hope for best, which may or may not be a worthwhile risk. Random datapoints / opinions from the interwebs hypothetically can impact how risky I think it is.

waxecstatic

Bronze

Post by waxecstatic » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:36 pm

Get the Conviser BarBri thing off Ebay, the essay book, and Adaptibar. You'll save a grand. That's all I did and I passed with flying colors. The lectures are a waste of time.

redsox550

Post by redsox550 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:40 pm

waxecstatic wrote:Get the Conviser BarBri thing off Ebay, the essay book, and Adaptibar. You'll save a grand. That's all I did and I passed with flying colors. The lectures are a waste of time.
If the firm is paying for a free Ipad i might as well get it. Plus I am 99% sure they wont reimburse me for for ebay purchases... dont think u read the thread

waxecstatic

Bronze

Post by waxecstatic » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:46 pm

redsox550 wrote:
waxecstatic wrote:Get the Conviser BarBri thing off Ebay, the essay book, and Adaptibar. You'll save a grand. That's all I did and I passed with flying colors. The lectures are a waste of time.
If the firm is paying for a free Ipad i might as well get it. Plus I am 99% sure they wont reimburse me for for ebay purchases... dont think u read the thread
Well in that case yeah. I would still maybe get something from BarBri like a model essay book since their stuff is top of the line. It's very cheap if you get it used and nothing ever changes in terms of the law. Don't know much about Themis.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:24 pm

I mean if someone's firm is paying for a course there is no point at all in scrounging cheap used stuff somewhere.

nunumaster

Silver

Post by nunumaster » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:36 pm

Why wouldn't they? It's the whole incentive. I signed up for Kaplan for $500 of gift cards.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”