Venting Thread

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
InterAlia1961

Bronze
Posts: 250
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:32 pm

Re: Venting Thread

Postby InterAlia1961 » Thu May 04, 2017 9:53 am

I also read somewhere that they post the questions when the all the exams are graded. It shouldn't take a full month to get the results to the applicants. Again, it's not 1940 in the real world. There is no good excuse for the delay.

B90

Silver
Posts: 563
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:08 pm

Re: Venting Thread

Postby B90 » Sat May 06, 2017 10:19 pm

MBE sections are NEVER disclosed. It's not like the LSAT. Essay questions are posted immmediately. Most states allow you to take them home from the exam. They never reuse those. I'm not sure about mpts, since my state doesn't give them.
I realize OP is venting about the CA bar, but I didn't see anything to indicate this is supposed to be CA specific venting.
Not that thst doesn't deserve it's own thread... :wink:

Also, I just noticed that no one has agreed take my pledge...

As background, I am actually born and raised in the bay area. I have family both there and in San Diego. I would move back to SF in a heartbeat if we could afford it. Also, the CA bar scares the crap out of me. I have relatives that passed it and are practicing, but they all were already barred in other states before they attempted CA. I have both respect and fear for those who take it as their first exam.

InterAlia1961

Bronze
Posts: 250
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:32 pm

Re: Venting Thread

Postby InterAlia1961 » Sun May 07, 2017 9:05 am

B90 wrote:MBE sections are NEVER disclosed. It's not like the LSAT. Essay questions are posted immmediately. Most states allow you to take them home from the exam. They never reuse those. I'm not sure about mpts, since my state doesn't give them.
I realize OP is venting about the CA bar, but I didn't see anything to indicate this is supposed to be CA specific venting.
Not that thst doesn't deserve it's own thread... :wink:

Also, I just noticed that no one has agreed take my pledge...

As background, I am actually born and raised in the bay area. I have family both there and in San Diego. I would move back to SF in a heartbeat if we could afford it. Also, the CA bar scares the crap out of me. I have relatives that passed it and are practicing, but they all were already barred in other states before they attempted CA. I have both respect and fear for those who take it as their first exam.



What pledge? I'm off to CA as soon as I pass the bar. I don't think it's any more expensive to live there than any other state. I'm looking for property in the Victorville area, but I've also looked at other California communities, but only those with no measurable snowfall. Snow's a deal breaker.

B90

Silver
Posts: 563
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:08 pm

Re: Venting Thread

Postby B90 » Sun May 07, 2017 10:10 am

B90 wrote:
spartan4life wrote:Want to know what's really been pissing me off lately?

I still haven't found a job and have seen really great full-time jobs pass me by because of these fucking test results. I did the math and could not volunteer in my preferred field because the gas would eat up the savings I've been using to pay my bills and rent. My credit cards are almost maxed out.

Yes, this fucking exam does several things if you do not pass: (1) employers are afraid of hiring you because you may leave to study for it again, (2) you miss out on great job opportunities because you're studying again or waiting for the results, (3) if you've failed several times, you say fuck it and try using your JD to get a non-attorney job BUT you have a black eye because you didn't pass the exam, and (4) your student loans continue to increase, thus, stressing you the fuck out.

I've worked too damn hard to not pass.

Fuck you California bar examiners. If you are going to continue to keep CA's bar exam in the top 2 of difficulty in the U.S.A., then cut down the waiting time it takes to get the results. Cut it down to a month and 12 days.

[Sign] It felt good getting that off my chest.



This one:

Also, can we all make a pledge to NOT become sadistic little mindfuckers once we become licensed?

spartan4life

New
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:55 pm

Re: Venting Thread

Postby spartan4life » Sun May 07, 2017 2:02 pm

@B90:

Go ahead and vent about whatever weighs down the heart and frustrates the mind. I wanted to create the thread for other law grads to vent about struggles they are going through and for others who are going through the same thing.

I don't plan on becoming sadistic. I actually hope to become a bar tutor for repeaters if I pass.

@interAlia:

Like we learned in law school, the words "it depends" applies to whether living in California is expensive. In particular, it depends on where you want to live. San Francisco is crazy expensive and the Silicon Valley area is expensive because of the Tech giants (Google, Apple, eBay, Cisco, etc.). If you want to work in those cities, you usually have to commute from out of town because of expensive rent.

If you really want to see how expensive rent is in California, look on Craigslist for the area you are plannig on moving to.

I don't know too much about the Los Angeles area. Someone else can probably answer that for you.

California is a beautiful state though and it is the SIXTH largest economy in the WORLD so maybe the California bar examiners are being greedy and trying to fill their pockets.

maxmartin

Silver
Posts: 712
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:41 pm

Re: Venting Thread

Postby maxmartin » Sun May 07, 2017 2:19 pm

I think 50% MBE will increase CA bar pass rate this summer. CA has a sick re-grading policy, it rarely pass anyone who has fallen in re-grade zone. State like TX pass those whose score have been re-graded almost 100%.

Ssparker

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:08 am

Re: Venting Thread

Postby Ssparker » Sat May 13, 2017 12:38 am

B90 wrote:
B90 wrote:
spartan4life wrote:Want to know what's really been pissing me off lately?

I still haven't found a job and have seen really great full-time jobs pass me by because of these fucking test results. I did the math and could not volunteer in my preferred field because the gas would eat up the savings I've been using to pay my bills and rent. My credit cards are almost maxed out.

Yes, this fucking exam does several things if you do not pass: (1) employers are afraid of hiring you because you may leave to study for it again, (2) you miss out on great job opportunities because you're studying again or waiting for the results, (3) if you've failed several times, you say fuck it and try using your JD to get a non-attorney job BUT you have a black eye because you didn't pass the exam, and (4) your student loans continue to increase, thus, stressing you the fuck out.

I've worked too damn hard to not pass.

Fuck you California bar examiners. If you are going to continue to keep CA's bar exam in the top 2 of difficulty in the U.S.A., then cut down the waiting time it takes to get the results. Cut it down to a month and 12 days.

[Sign] It felt good getting that off my chest.



This one:

Also, can we all make a pledge to NOT become sadistic little mindfuckers once we become licensed?


---Amen to that!



Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests