Cancelling Barbri

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
cali0821

New

Cancelling Barbri

Postby cali0821 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:05 am

I'm a 3L, and I signed up for Barbri during my first semester of law school. Basically, I fell for the threat: "If you sign up now, we'll take $1,500 off your tuition." Since then, I have decided to switch to Kaplan. I called Barbri corporate to cancel. I knew that my Barbri deposit was non-refundable, but now they are saying that because I got a discounted rate, I committed to paying for Barbri. They said that in 2014, there was no option to cancel, but now they are "doing me a favor" because they implemented a $1,500 cancellation fee in 2016. I foolishly paid my Kaplan deposit before I knew Barbri was going to do this. I asked the Barbri rep for a copy of the contract I signed in 2014, and she said she would request it from our school's rep.

I'm not going to pay for 2 bar review courses. Does anyone have any tips for getting out of this contract? The good thing is that Barbri has an expired credit card on file, so the payment won't go through, but I don't want it going to collections.

albanach

Silver

Re: Cancelling Barbri

Postby albanach » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:30 am

Just an expired credit card, or a closed account? If the account is still open, it's possible the charge could go through even though the card was expired.

maxmartin

Silver

Postby maxmartin » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:39 am

cali0821 wrote:I'm a 3L, and I signed up for Barbri during my first semester of law school. Basically, I fell for the threat: "If you sign up now, we'll take $1,500 off your tuition." Since then, I have decided to switch to Kaplan. I called Barbri corporate to cancel. I knew that my Barbri deposit was non-refundable, but now they are saying that because I got a discounted rate, I committed to paying for Barbri. They said that in 2014, there was no option to cancel, but now they are "doing me a favor" because they implemented a $1,500 cancellation fee in 2016. I foolishly paid my Kaplan deposit before I knew Barbri was going to do this. I asked the Barbri rep for a copy of the contract I signed in 2014, and she said she would request it from our school's rep.

I'm not going to pay for 2 bar review courses. Does anyone have any tips for getting out of this contract? The good thing is that Barbri has an expired credit card on file, so the payment won't go through, but I don't want it going to collections.

Cancel your payment card or dispute the charge immediately if you want to keep that card.

cali0821

New

Postby cali0821 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:25 am

Ok, I wasn't aware that the charge may still go through. Thanks.

I see that Barbri allows you to change the user info (username, address, e-mail, etc.) I'm trying to see if I can find someone who will just take over the Barbri account.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:38 am

cali0821 wrote:Ok, I wasn't aware that the charge may still go through. Thanks.

I see that Barbri allows you to change the user info (username, address, e-mail, etc.) I'm trying to see if I can find someone who will just take over the Barbri account.

This may be your best bet. Get out from under this ... someone may be looking for a deal. You won't probably get all of your money back, but better than nothing (+ collections, etc.)

cali0821

New

Postby cali0821 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:53 am

I found someone interested in taking over the contract, but she already has a Barbri account from the MPRE. We're trying to see if she can cancel that account first.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�