happyhour1122

Silver

Re: MBE for 2017 february reach historic all time low

Postby happyhour1122 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:05 am

WHY
WHY
WHY
WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Nyjdgirl

Bronze

Postby Nyjdgirl » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:11 am

I wonder if this means that it is easier to pass this time with a DECENT MBE score? UGH THIS IS SO DEPRESSING! I got a 135 last July on MBE.

Nyjdgirl

Bronze

Postby Nyjdgirl » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:14 am

Nyjdgirl wrote:

I wonder if this means that it is easier to pass this time with a DECENT MBE score? UGH THIS IS SO DEPRESSING! I got a 135 last July on MBE.

Meaning if you essay scores are higher this time you have a better shot at passing. I felt that the essays this year were better for me event though it was trust, property, corps, agency etc. so we shall see what happens!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

happyhour1122

Silver

Postby happyhour1122 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:27 am

I need at least 140 MBE score.
I hope I make above average.

yankeeman86

Bronze

Postby yankeeman86 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:27 am

Nyjdgirl wrote:
Nyjdgirl wrote:

Meaning if you essay scores are higher this time you have a better shot at passing. I felt that the essays this year were better for me event though it was trust, property, corps, agency etc. so we shall see what happens!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Unfortunately, a low national MBE score means it will be harder to pass. You need a higher raw score than in previous admins in order to achieve the same MBE scaled score. They will not lower the "bar" to pass. They use their crazy gorilla math to ensure each admin exam is equally difficult.

happyhour1122

Silver

Postby happyhour1122 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:28 am

I've maintained raw score around 140. I will be mad if they lower that score

yankeeman86

Bronze

Postby yankeeman86 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:31 am

happyhour1122 wrote:I need at least 140 MBE score.

you mean you need a 140 MBE SCALED score. scaled 140+ is the minimum i think. but to get that scaled 140, you need to have an above average raw score. let's say 125 raw meant scaled 140+ in years past, for F2017, you may very well need 130 raw or whatever representative percentage to get the same scaled 140+

Johann

Diamond

Postby Johann » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:34 am

Smart people are not entering the legal profession anymore. If you are smart, there are better ways to make money (wider job options, similar pay, more job security, more spread out job locations available, better benefits etc).

Smart people have wised up. And they are 100% right.

Impishee

New

Postby Impishee » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:35 am

Nyjdgirl wrote:
Nyjdgirl wrote:

Can you flesh this out a little more? I got the sense that alot of people spotted many of the issues on the essays (which I think might make it harder to do well on them when scaled, but I dunno). Trusts is the only one people seemed to universally hate.

lawst_

New

Postby lawst_ » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:40 am

Johann wrote:Smart people are not entering the legal profession anymore. If you are smart, there are better ways to make money (wider job options, similar pay, more job security, more spread out job locations available, better benefits etc).

I actually agree with this. I didn't need a JD/bar for my last job or my current job. I knew I'd be non-trad with my career plans, but I wish I had realized how unnecessary a JD is earlier on. I've been encouraging people who have come to me about going to law school to reevaluate what they really want to do with their careers because the profession has changed so significantly. Unless you genuinely want to do traditional legal work, there's really no need to go to law school any more. So many better industries and jobs available without incurring law school debt.

yankeeman86

Bronze

Postby yankeeman86 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:37 am

Impishee wrote:
Nyjdgirl wrote:
Nyjdgirl wrote:

Can you flesh this out a little more? I got the sense that alot of people spotted many of the issues on the essays (which I think might make it harder to do well on them when scaled, but I dunno). Trusts is the only one people seemed to universally hate.

im guessing essays are probably scaled to the mbe scaled score so I don't think your essay performance will compensate for a below average mbe score.

yankeeman86

Bronze

Postby yankeeman86 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:41 am

lawst_ wrote:
Johann wrote:Smart people are not entering the legal profession anymore. If you are smart, there are better ways to make money (wider job options, similar pay, more job security, more spread out job locations available, better benefits etc).

I actually agree with this. I didn't need a JD/bar for my last job or my current job. I knew I'd be non-trad with my career plans, but I wish I had realized how unnecessary a JD is earlier on. I've been encouraging people who have come to me about going to law school to reevaluate what they really want to do with their careers because the profession has changed so significantly. Unless you genuinely want to do traditional legal work, there's really no need to go to law school any more. So many better industries and jobs available without incurring law school debt.

devils advocate - which industries and jobs that pay six figures are you speaking of?

Johann

Diamond

Postby Johann » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:47 am

Tech, engineering, supply chain logistics/strategy, nursing/PA, consulting, climbing the corporate ladder (less than 6 figs usually but not by much), Human Resources etc.

lawst_

New

Postby lawst_ » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:54 am

yankeeman86 wrote:
lawst_ wrote:

devils advocate - which industries and jobs that pay six figures are you speaking of?

I think part of the problem is people believing that law school - six-figure job. It doesn't, at least not anymore. An overwhelming majority of my friends who went the traditional law firm route are making well under six-figures and still working 60-80 hours a week.

That said, plenty to be made in engineering, compliance, consulting, tech, etc. I worked in 2 of those industries and wouldn't trade it for traditional law at this point.

yankeeman86

Bronze

Postby yankeeman86 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:10 pm

Johann wrote:Tech, engineering, supply chain logistics/strategy, nursing/PA, consulting, climbing the corporate ladder (less than 6 figs usually but not by much), Human Resources etc.

and how likely are you to make six figures in any of those positions? each may have additional schooling requirements though the cost will be significantly cheaper, each will require you to study and work hard and be at the top of your class.

If you're a subpar attorney who makes less than six figures, I doubt you the same person can do well in those other areas you mention.

Johann

Diamond

Postby Johann » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:24 pm

yankeeman86 wrote:
Johann wrote:Tech, engineering, supply chain logistics/strategy, nursing/PA, consulting, climbing the corporate ladder (less than 6 figs usually but not by much), Human Resources etc.

and how likely are you to make six figures in any of those positions? each may have additional schooling requirements though the cost will be significantly cheaper, each will require you to study and work hard and be at the top of your class.

If you're a subpar attorney who makes less than six figures, I doubt you the same person can do well in those other areas you mention.

Mom just stating a simple fact - smart people are not going to law school at the rates they used to. Maybe you're too dumb to figure out what they're doing, but we know the fact, and the question is what do they realize that other (seemingly) smart people don't? It's not to say that everything about law is bad. But it's also telling your only point is about the salary. Have fun catching falling knives though.

yankeeman86

Bronze

Postby yankeeman86 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:03 pm

Johann wrote:
yankeeman86 wrote:

Mom just stating a simple fact - smart people are not going to law school at the rates they used to. Maybe you're too dumb to figure out what they're doing, but we know the fact, and the question is what do they realize that other (seemingly) smart people don't? It's not to say that everything about law is bad. But it's also telling your only point is about the salary. Have fun catching falling knives though.

my dear, it's a rhetorical question. read the title to this thread.

JDNE

New

Postby JDNE » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:38 pm

AboveTheLaw.com is a disgrace to the legal profession. Sad.
Last edited by JDNE on Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JDNE

New

Postby JDNE » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:47 pm

yankeeman86 wrote:
happyhour1122 wrote:I need at least 140 MBE score.

you mean you need a 140 MBE SCALED score. scaled 140+ is the minimum i think. but to get that scaled 140, you need to have an above average raw score. let's say 125 raw meant scaled 140+ in years past, for F2017, you may very well need 130 raw or whatever representative percentage to get the same scaled 140+

I'm new to this. First time Bar taker still waiting on scores.

QUESTIONS: does anyone know what the range of MBE scores is, both raw and scaled? What's the highest and lowest possible score? Does NCBE post that info anywhere? And does anyone know how they scale? Are the ranges achieved by a Bar's test takers ever posted anywhere? I'm curious to know if there will be a way to determine how we did, relative to others.

Thank you in advance, if anyone has insight into this confusing subject. Good luck y'all.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�