Advice/study strategies for Re-takers

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Bemga

New

Advice/study strategies for Re-takers

Postby Bemga » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:30 pm

I found out yesterday that I failed the February IL bar exam on my first try. They have not sent out score information yet but after a full day of tears and sadness, I am eager to move forward and start studying for the July exam. A little background, I am was in the top 1/2 of my class and graduated early. I have a job that I love at a litigation firm and they have graciously decided to keep me on while I give the bar exam another go, so it's imperative that a pass this god awful barrier to entry so that I can get on with my life. I used Barbri the first go round and I plan on signing up again for free with the guarantee program. I also think that I'll get Adaptibar for MBE question since the bar questions looked nothing like what Barbri assigned. So if anyone has a promo code, please send it my way! I plan to start studying next week since I'll be working between 35-40 per week, then I plan on taking off 4 weeks before the exam to really focus on memorization and MBE questions, and essays. I would appreciate any advice in terms of study schedules and how you changed your approach when taking the exam a second time.

Anderson88

New

Re: Advice/study strategies for Re-takers

Postby Anderson88 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:30 pm

I highly recommend Adaptibar. I have a promo code if you want to PM me your email address I can send it your way if you'd like.

virgoyum

Bronze

Postby virgoyum » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:50 pm

Anderson88 wrote:I highly recommend Adaptibar. I have a promo code if you want to PM me your email address I can send it your way if you'd like.

Would you mind sharing?

PrayingToTheBarGods

New

Postby PrayingToTheBarGods » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:56 pm

I used barbri and I downloaded the CriticalPass app on my phone. CriticalPass synced up with barbri pretty well, so I'd use the app whenever/wherever (like if I was waiting in a long line at the grocery store). The app outlines are pretty much an exact dupe of the barbri lecture notes, so don't expect any new material from it, but I really liked the convenience of having it on my phone.

I also purchased a practice mbe set from the NCBE website. The answer explainations are not as in-depth as barbri's, but I used it as practice the week before the exam so that I got a feel for the questions.

I also really liked barbri's mnemonics/songs. I made sure to memorize all of them and spent some time making up a few of my own (that was probably the best/most useful learning tool for me). I know some people think it's corny, but those songs/mnemonics really came in handy during the essays!!! Theres lots of forums with additional mnemonics to add to your arsenal.

Good luck!!

Bemga

New

Postby Bemga » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:39 pm

Anderson88 wrote:I highly recommend Adaptibar. I have a promo code if you want to PM me your email address I can send it your way if you'd like.

Thanks! I sent you a PM.

9xSound

New

Postby 9xSound » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:38 pm

Bemga wrote:I found out yesterday that I failed the February IL bar exam on my first try. They have not sent out score information yet but after a full day of tears and sadness, I am eager to move forward and start studying for the July exam. A little background, I am was in the top 1/2 of my class and graduated early. I have a job that I love at a litigation firm and they have graciously decided to keep me on while I give the bar exam another go, so it's imperative that a pass this god awful barrier to entry so that I can get on with my life. I used Barbri the first go round and I plan on signing up again for free with the guarantee program. I also think that I'll get Adaptibar for MBE question since the bar questions looked nothing like what Barbri assigned. So if anyone has a promo code, please send it my way! I plan to start studying next week since I'll be working between 35-40 per week, then I plan on taking off 4 weeks before the exam to really focus on memorization and MBE questions, and essays. I would appreciate any advice in terms of study schedules and how you changed your approach when taking the exam a second time.

Repeating the exam sucks. I'm sorry you have to do this. You say that you used Barbri the first time and failed. Now you're planning to use them again because they offer a free guarantee. I realize that the price is right, but I would advise you to look for somebody new outside of Barbri's program to take a fresh look at what you're doing — in addition to getting whatever you can from Barbri. You're a repeater. People fail their first bar for many reasons. But when repeaters fail, it's almost always because they go into subsequent exams and do the exact same thing that didn't work the first time. They make all the same mistakes. They don't change anything up. Before throwing all in with Barbri again, be brutally honest with yourself. Did you faithfully do the work that Barbri gave you to do? Did you do your best on the exam to apply what Barbri taught? If you did your best to apply their methods, do you believe you will apply them better next time? What do you expect to learn from Barbri the second time around that will change your results? The odds are against you, let's be real. I have no axe to grind with Barbri, but if their approach didn't work for you, you would be better off finding a tutor or a different prep company who is going to give you a new plan of attack, one that gives you a whole new perspective on what you're doing wrong. Shake up the works. You can't do what you did before and think that your outcome is going to change.

rcharter1978

Gold

Postby rcharter1978 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:04 am

I'll echo 9x's sentiment.

You are conditioned, from the moment you enter law school, to use Barbri for bar review. This is fine, it works for a lot of people. But remember, its meant to work for the majority of students...students who are not working a full time job. And it has to work for the guy who is in the bottom 10% of the class, as well as the guy in the top 10% of the class.

Which means it ends up being a program that takes a LOT of time (because people who don't work have more time), and sometimes requires a more in depth education on the basics (for those in the bottom 10% of the class who may not have been paying attention).

For some subjects this is great, especially if you hated the subject or you had a difficult professor.

HOWEVER it doesn't work for everyone, and it didn't work for me. First, I thought their essay grading was hot garbage. Second, I have a very particular study style, and it worked for me in law school, but it didn't really work on the Barbri plan.

Since I knew writing was my biggest area of concern, I got a tutor. I made sure to get a former bar grader, because it was important to me to have someone that could give me actionable advice based on his time grading exams. It wasn't cheap, but it was worth it. He was able to tell me what I should be putting on an essay, but more importantly, what I didn't have to put in an essay. He could tell me point values so I could see where I really needed to put in good analysis and where I could get away with just a line. He pruned my writing and made me get rid of all my back and forth writing.

He had absolutely no sugar coating to him, and he spoke fast, and I was always exhausted after a session. But it was worth it.
********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
TL;DR -- I won't say Barbri is a lot of busy work, but it can be. You should tailor your approach now. Maybe it means a tutor, maybe it means BarEssays, maybe it means AdaptiBar, maybe it means lean sheets. But don't just sign up for Barbri because thats what you've been told and thats what everyone else is doing. Take a few days to think it through before committing yourself.

DurhamNC2017

New

Postby DurhamNC2017 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:52 pm

I used Kaplan the first time, did not like Kaplan, and did not pass (missed by 1 point). I used Themis the second time, really liked it, and passed; I completed about 72% of the course. I went to a pretty good law school, graduated top 30% of my class, went to school at night, and had a pretty demanding job in the day.

Preparing for the first exam (July exam), I had a lot of other things going on (e.g. moving, looking for jobs, family stuff) and I just never really got to trust the way Kaplan was doing things and frankly going and sitting in a class was not what I needed. I prepared for about 2 months, generally followed the course, but did not do all the MBE questions. To the extent that I did not understand an issue, large or small, I made a note card. I probably did about 70 essays and maybe 600-700 MBE questions. I averaged a 6/10 on my essays and got a 135 on the MBE in terms of my actual bar score.

The second time (Feb. exam), I actually had a lot more going on (e.g. my wife and I had a child around Jan.1, we had a lot of family stuff to take care of, and I had a job that depended on me passing). I was only able to spend about 6 weeks fully engaged in studying. I did about 85-90 essays and about (I think) 950 multiple choice. I used my old note cards and made new ones too. For the last week or so, I focused a lot on memorization. Just reviewing outlines and drilling myself on notecards. I really wanted to be able to tick through rules on my essays and get as many "free points" on the MBE, which I thought of as particular rules or issues that I just knew cold. For the 6 weeks or so I studied, I only worked a little bit (a few hours a week at most), tried to put in at least 8 hours a day actually studying, and I tried to work out at the end of every day. I really benefited from having a schedule like this; for me working out is very relaxing so I really looked forward to it at the end of each day. Also, and I think this is key, I probably spent more time on going over my answers, right or wrong, compared to anything else. This really helped me.

Despite all of the stuff I had going on in my personal life and taking a little less time than recommended to study, I passed. The exam I took had a very low pass rate (in the 30% range), and I saw the rates before I got my results so I was not feeling very confident.

My overall recommendations to those taking it again:

- Pick a daily schedule and try to stick to it but plan to do something you like at the end of each day. I tried to make the last thing I did every day be an MBE problem set and then the first thing I'd do in the morning would be to review the answers, 1 by 1, for an hour or so.
- Spend a lot of time reviewing right and wrong answers
- Focus on putting your essays in a good, lawyerly format (e.g. IRAC)
- If you get an essay topic on the exam you don't know, skip it till the end, and then try to, to the extent you can, tick through as many rules or portions of rules as you can.
- If you enjoyed a particular topic in law school, for me Con. Law and Crim Pro., max out on studying those, especially if they are MBE and state topics that are the same or nearly the same. This way, studying will not seem so bad and hopefully you can really max out your points on those topics.
- Generally try to treat the studying as a job especially if you are not working. e.g. get up early, work until lunch, work after lunch for several more hours, quit around 7 and then do something other than study. If you are working, dedicate the hours between 6-10pm after work to studying and study all day one weekend day, and start a bit earlier than 2 months away if you can. Save stuff that you like for when you think you'll be tired.
- Know that you are going to get frustrated and feel like you'll fail. Just move forward from it. Just keep going on.
- Save some time at the end to do straight memorization.
- Consider Themis- I really recommend Themis, I liked the way the lectures were short and followed by some multiple choice questions. E.g. each topic is broken into chapters of about 20 minutes or less each and after each chapter you have 5 mc questions.

Anderson88

New

Postby Anderson88 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:57 pm

virgoyum wrote:

Would you mind sharing?

Of course! It generates specific codes for each user though so it only works through email. If you want to PM me your email address I can send the promo email right over :)

KungPowEnterTheFist

New

Postby KungPowEnterTheFist » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:22 pm

Bemga wrote:I found out yesterday that I failed the February IL bar exam on my first try. They have not sent out score information yet but after a full day of tears and sadness, I am eager to move forward and start studying for the July exam. A little background, I am was in the top 1/2 of my class and graduated early. I have a job that I love at a litigation firm and they have graciously decided to keep me on while I give the bar exam another go, so it's imperative that a pass this god awful barrier to entry so that I can get on with my life. I used Barbri the first go round and I plan on signing up again for free with the guarantee program. I also think that I'll get Adaptibar for MBE question since the bar questions looked nothing like what Barbri assigned. So if anyone has a promo code, please send it my way! I plan to start studying next week since I'll be working between 35-40 per week, then I plan on taking off 4 weeks before the exam to really focus on memorization and MBE questions, and essays. I would appreciate any advice in terms of study schedules and how you changed your approach when taking the exam a second time.

Hi there. I'm very sorry to hear the bad news. :( I failed my bar by 14 scaled points the first time and 3 scaled points the second time, and finally passed in Feb 2017. Believe me, I know how you feel. Failing not just once, but TWICE made me feel so small and worthless. Ultimately, I turned into a different person - a MUCH stronger and resilient person! :) And so will you! Anyway, I wrote my story and advice in another thread ("2017 Results Thread - February Exam"). I know it's long. (The more I wrote, the more cathartic it became). I was originally going to only send it to one or two people asking for advice, but I thought maybe it would be helpful to others, so I posted it publicly. I hope you find it helpful.

Since getting my results in the mail this week, I haven't completely felt relieved yet. (I'm slowly getting there thankfully). I cried when I opened my letter, but I was soooo expecting another "I regret to inform you" opener, that I was going to cry no matter the outcome. My mom jumped up and we cried hugging each other. My dad got me a birthday cake and put a #3 candle on it. Whewwww, that's how we party. Haha. Anyway, I always get 6-8 hours of sleep, but for some reason, this weekend I slept until 1-2pm each day, and at first I had no idea why. But now, I honestly think it was the weight of stress from the past 3 administrations of the bar (and everything that comes with failing) finally lifting from me. The pressure on you is intense, oftentimes invisible, and can be crippling if you let it. Don't let it cripple you. You know the material. Now it's matter of honing your test taking skills. And that's dependent on what kind of learner you are. Treat it like a game and you're an athlete in training. Definitely take up Barbri on its guarantee, but take as many detours as you know you need to hammer out all your weaknesses. Turn your weaknesses into your strengths.

happyhour1122

Silver

Postby happyhour1122 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:02 am

I didn't read all the responses here, but don't repeat Barbri if you didn't pass with Barbri.

Bemga

New

Postby Bemga » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:49 am

Thank you all for your responses! I just found out that I missed the mark by only 6 points. Scaled MBE score was 132.5 and Essay score was 127.5. Two essays based on common law marriage and agency killed me.

As far as my new approach, I think that Adapitbar will help to get my MBE up at least 10 points. I was honestly not sufficiently prepared for the above mentioned essays, so I'm going to review and refine my weak spots using Barbri's essay book. Based on your replies, I'm not going to take the Barbri course, but I will use my garauntee for practice tests and the books.

lawst_

New

Postby lawst_ » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:11 am

Hey all, I finally passed the IL bar on my 4th try. Definitely had a lot of doubts as to whether this day would ever come. I self studied this time around.

Obviously the most important thing is to know/understand how you study and learn best first. Don't feel like you have to conform yourself to a method or program that hasn't worked for your learning style in the past. I, personally, was strongly urged to do Barbri both the first and second time I took the bar and I knew that I didn't like Barbri's program and it didn't fit with my method of learning.

Also, I strongly believe that a majority of the commercial bar programs waste a lot of precious study time with their lectures. A 4 hour lecture on Torts isn't going to do a damn thing for you. The likelihood of paying attention and fully absorbing 4 hours worth of material is low. Thus, I'm a pretty big advocate for skipping lectures all together and focusing heavily on reading outlines (Barbri CMR is my favorite) and practicing MBE questions (Kaplan, AdaptiBar, Ameribar all have the best questions).

Having portable bar materials was important to me too. I took Critical Pass cards EVERYWHERE with me. I swear I would study while sitting in traffic, or at the gym, or on lunch at work. And I always picked about 5 cards that I struggled with and looked at them on the couch or in bed before I went to sleep every night.

Overall, the main difference in my studying was Adaptibar. I only used it for about 3 weeks (couldn't afford it prior) but it made such a huge difference in both timing of answering questions, which i previously struggled with, and the explanations were super helpful. ALWAYS READ THE EXPLANATIONS! Even if you get the question right.

Also, start early and do something, no matter how small, every single day. There were many days where all I did was look over a 6-8 page outline in bed before I fell asleep because that's all the time I had. But just ensuring that you pick up some bar materials is key.

I have promo codes for both Adaptibar and Critical Pass if anyone needs them. Best of luck!
Last edited by lawst_ on Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

lawst_

New

Postby lawst_ » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:12 am

happyhour1122 wrote:I didn't read all the responses here, but don't repeat Barbri if you didn't pass with Barbri.

I fully agree with this. Even if you have a free re-take with Barbri, it's not worth it! Use the CMR and maybe the essay outlines and that's about it. So many better MBE materials out there.

virgoyum

Bronze

Postby virgoyum » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:19 am

Bemga wrote:Thank you all for your responses! I just found out that I missed the mark by only 6 points. Scaled MBE score was 132.5 and Essay score was 127.5. Two essays based on common law marriage and agency killed me.

As far as my new approach, I think that Adapitbar will help to get my MBE up at least 10 points. I was honestly not sufficiently prepared for the above mentioned essays, so I'm going to review and refine my weak spots using Barbri's essay book. Based on your replies, I'm not going to take the Barbri course, but I will use my garauntee for practice tests and the books.

Oh you got yours? I am still waiting on mine.

happyhour1122

Silver

Postby happyhour1122 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:28 am

Bemga wrote:Thank you all for your responses! I just found out that I missed the mark by only 6 points. Scaled MBE score was 132.5 and Essay score was 127.5. Two essays based on common law marriage and agency killed me.

That is so close.
Yes you will definitely increase your MBE.
I am worried about my common law marriage and Trust essay....I hope I didn't do too bad....
What were your answers like?

happyhour1122

Silver

Postby happyhour1122 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:28 am

virgoyum wrote:

don't forget to post!!!

Bemga

New

Postby Bemga » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:47 pm

virgoyum wrote:

I received an email and my score card was posted under "messages" on th IL bar website. I hope that you get it soon! It's nice to actually see your score and develop a plan!

Bemga

New

Postby Bemga » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:25 pm

happyhour1122 wrote:

That is so close.
I am worried about my common law marriage and Trust essay....I hope I didn't do too bad....

I did alright on the trust essay and got a 4, but I can't remember what exactly I put down. So, I'll have to get back to you once I receive my essay materials in a few days.

As far as the marriage essay, I deserved a low score b/c I had no idea what to put down. I'm pretty sure that I just got a point b/c I was sure to mention some "best interest of the child" bs. Unfortunately, my studies were more focused on divorce/choice of law type of questions so I was unprepared.

happyhour1122

Silver

Postby happyhour1122 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:22 am

Bemga wrote:
happyhour1122 wrote:

That is so close.

I did alright on the trust essay and got a 4, but I can't remember what exactly I put down. So, I'll have to get back to you once I receive my essay materials in a few days.

As far as the marriage essay, I deserved a low score b/c I had no idea what to put down. I'm pretty sure that I just got a point b/c I was sure to mention some "best interest of the child" bs. Unfortunately, my studies were more focused on divorce/choice of law type of questions so I was unprepared.

Is 4 out of 6?
Well, if you don't mind, please msg me or share with us how you did on your essays and some suggestions to how you could change/improve in your score :D I would love to know!

Sprout

Silver

Postby Sprout » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:24 am

virgoyum wrote:

Would you mind sharing?

That would be lovely.

santa_mcgee

New

Postby santa_mcgee » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:42 pm

I passed but this was my second attempt. I went with Barbri both times but this is what I did differently:

1: I bought the Critical Pass flashcards. These helped a lot because they made it (somewhat) easier to memorize rules. The Barbri books have so many details that it was difficult to figure out exactly what I needed to remember and what wasn't so important.

2: I bought one of the NCBE practice exams. I noticed this with the MPRE too but the actual exam questions look different from the Barbri practice questions. Sure, they cover the same material but seeing actual questions was really helpful.

3: My first time taking the exam, I used the CRAC structure in the essays but I did not include the sentence "The issue is...." I figured I could save time for the other areas like the analysis section and the grader would get my point. I also saw plenty of model answers that didn't include that sentence so I figured it wouldn't be a big deal. This time, I still used CRAC but I wrote out that issue sentence for every issue and I think it might have given me some extra points.

4: Essays were my weak point so I spent more time working on them. Just reading through essays and their answers is helpful too because you become more familiar with potential issues/questions.

I think Barbri is fine but it's definitely a good idea to get some other resources as well. Also, at least for me, I think I understood the material better the second time around. You also know what to expect as far as the testing situation goes so that's one less thing to worry about.

happyhour1122

Silver

Postby happyhour1122 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:50 pm

santa_mcgee wrote:I passed but this was my second attempt. I went with Barbri both times but this is what I did differently:

1: I bought the Critical Pass flashcards. These helped a lot because they made it (somewhat) easier to memorize rules. The Barbri books have so many details that it was difficult to figure out exactly what I needed to remember and what wasn't so important.

2: I bought one of the NCBE practice exams. I noticed this with the MPRE too but the actual exam questions look different from the Barbri practice questions. Sure, they cover the same material but seeing actual questions was really helpful.

3: My first time taking the exam, I used the CRAC structure in the essays but I did not include the sentence "The issue is...." I figured I could save time for the other areas like the analysis section and the grader would get my point. I also saw plenty of model answers that didn't include that sentence so I figured it wouldn't be a big deal. This time, I still used CRAC but I wrote out that issue sentence for every issue and I think it might have given me some extra points.

4: Essays were my weak point so I spent more time working on them. Just reading through essays and their answers is helpful too because you become more familiar with potential issues/questions.

I think Barbri is fine but it's definitely a good idea to get some other resources as well. Also, at least for me, I think I understood the material better the second time around. You also know what to expect as far as the testing situation goes so that's one less thing to worry about.

#3 I'm hoping to see difference.

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Postby SilvermanBarPrep » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:52 pm

As a repeat taker spend a greater percentage of your time practicing essays and MBE questions than you did last time while also continuing to study the law to reinforce all that you learned when you were studying the first time. You've built up a knowledge base which gives you the freedom to spend more time applying that knowledge now. Sometimes it takes a little longer than the amount of time provided to prepare for the bar exam to be able to learn the law and practice the law sufficiently to pass. Stay confident--the practice is just like a stage 2 to the process. Once you've practiced enough you'll be more comfortable applying the law and scoring the points needed to pass!

Sean (Silverman Bar Prep)
http://www.mbetutorial.blogspot.com

blaze1306

Bronze

Postby blaze1306 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:02 pm

I have also failed, this my second time. I anticipate using Themis this time. I missed July by 11 points (Feb. score hasn't gotten to me yet) any suggestions from the group. I used Adaptibar for Feb exam in the hopes of raising my MBE score, I liked it. If I have time I anticipate starting Themis in a couple of weeks and Adaptibar at the end of Themis.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?