July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - Results Are Here!!!

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
User avatar
Slytherpuff

Platinum
Posts: 5401
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:50 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby Slytherpuff » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:59 pm

Bass wrote:I was looking at the past essay questions and above average answers published by BOLE...

Just to be clear, because NY is now UBE, we don't have to say "The period for adverse possession in NY is ten years", or "under the NY Domestic Relations Law"...right?

Not a good time to troll like this and mess with people's heads. No, of course you don't talk about NY-specific stuff on the UBE - that's what the NYLE is for and no one is studying New York law for next week's exam. Just ignore any NY-specific essays on the BOLE website.

Edit: Okay I saw you didn't go to school in the U.S. so you probably aren't trolling. The whole point of the UBE is just to test standard American law and not get into any state-specific information. The switch to the UBE was very recent so if you see any NY-related essay answers still available online, you should just ignore them. Focus on what you've been studying this summer, no one needs to know New York law for this test.

MrWhitman

New
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:15 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby MrWhitman » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:14 pm

What are people doing to relax on Monday? I need to feel enabled to chill (guilt free) by my fellow test takers :D.

ojala

New
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:06 am

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby ojala » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:30 pm

I am in the unfortunate position of having to handwrite the exam. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Do they just give us a stack of blue books? Also, may seem like overkill but any recommendations for a pen that writes neatly/doesn't smudge/less likely to cause hand cramp?

r.a.t.keurig.machine

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:01 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby r.a.t.keurig.machine » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:25 pm

ojala wrote:I am in the unfortunate position of having to handwrite the exam. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Do they just give us a stack of blue books? Also, may seem like overkill but any recommendations for a pen that writes neatly/doesn't smudge/less likely to cause hand cramp?


I'm a laptop examinee this time, but when I took a previous bar in a different jurisdiction everyone was required to handwrite the Procedure & Evidence section. I tested a few pens and chose to go with Pentel RSVP pens. They have a very comfy grip and write smoothly. What ever you do, bring extra pens for back ups just in case something happens.

User avatar
acijku2

New
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:19 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby acijku2 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:52 pm

MrWhitman wrote:What are people doing to relax on Monday? I need to feel enabled to chill (guilt free) by my fellow test takers :D.


I'm thinking about going to a matinee of Dunkirk

unfinishedsymphony

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:01 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby unfinishedsymphony » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:21 pm

For the MPT/MEE day (laptop taker), are we given scratch paper to jot things down on?

AdInfinitum

New
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:22 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby AdInfinitum » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:31 pm

Anyone know what the air conditioning situation is like at Armory Track? Trying to decide if I should bring a hoodie, and I've heard Javits can be super cold but haven't heard about Armory.

Also, can we bring a pencil sharpener into the exam? Not listed as a permissible item on the list, but it feels like it'd be weird to not be allowed to bring one.

SplitMyPants

Gold
Posts: 1649
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby SplitMyPants » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:01 pm

how do we go about messing around with the mock exam? i submitted it when we were supposed to back in early june and now the only exam file listed is the one for next week

we didnt use examsoft for law school so i'd like to mess around it with and get a better feel for the interface and hot keys

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze
Posts: 293
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:12 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby FascinatedWanderer » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:19 pm

If I score about 80-85% raw on the NCBE practice MBE exams, how shitty can my essays be and still be passing? There are a few MEE subjects I know NOTHING about so I'm worried...

User avatar
sam91

Bronze
Posts: 141
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:03 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby sam91 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:23 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:how do we go about messing around with the mock exam? i submitted it when we were supposed to back in early june and now the only exam file listed is the one for next week

we didnt use examsoft for law school so i'd like to mess around it with and get a better feel for the interface and hot keys


Sign back in to "download exam" and then it should re-populate as either a mock available for download or it will auto-download the mock.

Hope this works. It did for me.

User avatar
Slytherpuff

Platinum
Posts: 5401
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:50 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby Slytherpuff » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:40 pm

AdInfinitum wrote:Anyone know what the air conditioning situation is like at Armory Track? Trying to decide if I should bring a hoodie, and I've heard Javits can be super cold but haven't heard about Armory.

Also, can we bring a pencil sharpener into the exam? Not listed as a permissible item on the list, but it feels like it'd be weird to not be allowed to bring one.

I'm not sure about the AC, but my game plan for clothing is to have a sweatshirt/jeans for the morning but have shorts in the personal belonging room in case the AC doesn't work (so I can change for the afternoon). Worst case scenario you just dump the hoodie under your chair if it's too hot.

Yeah the pencil sharpener thing is tricky - it's not listed as permissible but I don't think they'd turn it away! I'm going to risk BOLE wrath and bring a pencil sharpener for Wednesday. I can go back out and stick it in my purse if they won't let me bring it through security. (Also planning on bringing a few tissues and my chapstick in, which aren't on the permitted item list either. #Rebel?)

GGMcSwift

New
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:19 am

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby GGMcSwift » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:28 pm

Chapstick is ok fwiw

Tissues are NOT!

Seems utterly ridic, like what if you legit need to blow your nose? I'm gonna sneak some in for sure I'm guessing that won't be an issue. But if I try to use one and get caught, who knows?

FormerChild

New
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:41 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby FormerChild » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:08 pm

Question about answering MEE's … does anyone know if you lose points for making arguments for causes of action that, while holding some (but very little) merit, are all but certain to be losing ones and are arguably frivolous? I've seen a couple Barbri essay answers where they argue for a certain claim, but end up saying it'd fail. For example, Torts Writing Program Essay 8, I didn't even think to include false light invasion or intentional interference with business relations, but Barbri included them and ended up saying they're losers anyway. I obviously want to get most points as possible, but don't want to get penalized for making frivolous arguments. TIA

User avatar
Yazzzay

Bronze
Posts: 303
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:08 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby Yazzzay » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:23 pm

FormerChild wrote:Question about answering MEE's … does anyone know if you lose points for making arguments for causes of action that, while holding some (but very little) merit, are all but certain to be losing ones and are arguably frivolous? I've seen a couple Barbri essay answers where they argue for a certain claim, but end up saying it'd fail. For example, Torts Writing Program Essay 8, I didn't even think to include false light invasion or intentional interference with business relations, but Barbri included them and ended up saying they're losers anyway. I obviously want to get most points as possible, but don't want to get penalized for making frivolous arguments. TIA


From what I understand you're not going to lose points for making frivolous args, but you'll be wasting time. Same boat, I always add way more than they appear to be asking for- but I'm certain you don't get penalized for it. I also genuinely feel Barbri's answer are lacking sometimes? Too little too late to worry about this. >.<

tortellini

New
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:14 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby tortellini » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:22 pm

FormerChild wrote:Question about answering MEE's … does anyone know if you lose points for making arguments for causes of action that, while holding some (but very little) merit, are all but certain to be losing ones and are arguably frivolous? I've seen a couple Barbri essay answers where they argue for a certain claim, but end up saying it'd fail. For example, Torts Writing Program Essay 8, I didn't even think to include false light invasion or intentional interference with business relations, but Barbri included them and ended up saying they're losers anyway. I obviously want to get most points as possible, but don't want to get penalized for making frivolous arguments. TIA


I literally just did that same essay and had the same issue. Torts Writing Program Essay 8 looks like it's not a actual MEE essay, so I'm thinking that Barbri's just using this model answer to clear up some of the minutiae we might have missed but probably shouldn't be writing on the exam. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking.

dhersz

New
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:37 am

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby dhersz » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:51 pm

Hey all!

For buffalo people - it says we have to arrive at the exam site by 8am. Does that mean we have to get there even earlier to put stuff in the personal belongings room? What time should I be aiming to arrive at the convention center?

droit

New
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:01 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby droit » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:59 pm

How big is everyone's plastic bag? There's no size mentioned on the website.

lakers180

Bronze
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:11 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby lakers180 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:02 pm

droit wrote:How big is everyone's plastic bag? There's no size mentioned on the website.


i read somewhere it said 1 gallon. i then have a subbag for snacks unwrapped

User avatar
jingosaur

Gold
Posts: 3188
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby jingosaur » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:13 pm

Anybody know what the parking situation is at Albany? My hotel is like 4 miles from the test center. It looks like there is a parking garage by the test center but I'm worried that it will fill up.

User avatar
cnk1220

Silver
Posts: 987
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:48 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby cnk1220 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:19 pm

jingosaur wrote:Anybody know what the parking situation is at Albany? My hotel is like 4 miles from the test center. It looks like there is a parking garage by the test center but I'm worried that it will fill up.



You'll need to use the garage, the test center is downtown so there's only minimal street parking

droit

New
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:01 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby droit » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:21 pm

lakers180 wrote:
droit wrote:How big is everyone's plastic bag? There's no size mentioned on the website.


i read somewhere it said 1 gallon. i then have a subbag for snacks unwrapped


Do you remember where by any chance? Because it's not listed on http://www.nybarexam.org/Docs/secpolicy.pdf

lakers180

Bronze
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:11 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby lakers180 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:51 pm

droit wrote:
lakers180 wrote:
droit wrote:How big is everyone's plastic bag? There's no size mentioned on the website.


i read somewhere it said 1 gallon. i then have a subbag for snacks unwrapped


Do you remember where by any chance? Because it's not listed on http://www.nybarexam.org/Docs/secpolicy.pdf



July 17 email titled Exam Day Reminders, the fourth point listed.

droit

New
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:01 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby droit » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:53 pm

lakers180 wrote:
July 17 email titled Exam Day Reminders, the fourth point listed.


Awesome! Thank you! I thought I read it somewhere, but couldn't find it on the page and figured maybe I had it in my head from the MPRE.

Samarcan

New
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:14 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby Samarcan » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:55 am

Does anyone (maybe someone who's taken the bar there before) know if at the Albany Empire Plaza center you can get into your personal bag in the bag room during the mid-way break? I am thinking of leaving an energy drink in my bag and going to get it at the break for lunch. You can access that personal room during the break right?

User avatar
acijku2

New
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:19 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby acijku2 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:07 am

Apologies if this has been asked and answered already but we can bring our phones and leave them in the personal bag room right? I'm assuming the room is before the security checkpoint at all locations?



Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests