July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - Results Are Here!!!

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
SowhatsNU

Bronze
Posts: 183
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:15 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby SowhatsNU » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:58 am

Slytherpuff wrote:
SowhatsNU wrote:Does anyone know if there's a system to whether they assign us to Javits or the Armory? Is it truly "random"

God help us all.

I honestly think it's random. :( It would be great if they did it by proximity, but I feel like so many people are going to be much closer to Javits that it won't be possible for them to assign non-randomly.


Honestly I'd must rather the armory bec I've heard nightmares about ppl sitting in Javits center with a million other people- just checked and the River Pavillion is 45,000 square feet :shock:

User avatar
Slytherpuff

Platinum
Posts: 5401
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:50 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby Slytherpuff » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:01 am

SowhatsNU wrote:
Slytherpuff wrote:
SowhatsNU wrote:Does anyone know if there's a system to whether they assign us to Javits or the Armory? Is it truly "random"

God help us all.

I honestly think it's random. :( It would be great if they did it by proximity, but I feel like so many people are going to be much closer to Javits that it won't be possible for them to assign non-randomly.


Honestly I'd must rather the armory bec I've heard nightmares about ppl sitting in Javits center with a million other people- just checked and the River Pavillion is 45,000 square feet :shock:

I'll trade you if I get Armory. :lol: The food options nearby look much better at Armory but it just takes so much longer to get to from where I live than Javits does.

User avatar
lolabear727

Bronze
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:07 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby lolabear727 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:10 am

I'm pretty sure F17 they let each pick - in state and out of state. Then the next day once 24 hours had passed them send you the seat confirmation email where you are actually placed.

User avatar
Slytherpuff

Platinum
Posts: 5401
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:50 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby Slytherpuff » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:17 am

lolabear727 wrote:I'm pretty sure F17 they let each pick - in state and out of state. Then the next day once 24 hours had passed them send you the seat confirmation email where you are actually placed.

This cycle's email said "If a city has more than one test site candidates will be assigned randomly to one of the test sites in that city when seat tickets are issued in July." I think it's only an issue because we have multiple NYC spots for July 2017.

Edit: Oh also we're getting our seating tickets about two weeks before the exam - "Your seat ticket, which will be required to gain entrance into the examination, will reflect the location that you confirm and will be available for you to download approximately two weeks before the examination."

User avatar
Sprout

Silver
Posts: 774
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:46 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby Sprout » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:49 am

If I take a nap on top of my critical pass flashcards, is that the same as studying?

Ps should I be concerned I haven't received a city assignment as an out of state taker?

bellalove23

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:37 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby bellalove23 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:51 am

Sprout wrote:If I take a nap on top of my critical pass flashcards, is that the same as studying?

Ps should I be concerned I haven't received a city assignment as an out of state taker?



I haven't either, but this thread has me constantly refreshing.

User avatar
Slytherpuff

Platinum
Posts: 5401
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:50 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby Slytherpuff » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:56 am

Out-of-state people won't get their seat selection email until tomorrow afternoon. The in-state people have until 2pm EST tomorrow (June 13) to confirm our assignment, and the out-of-state takers won't get their selection email until after that.

User avatar
Yazzzay

Bronze
Posts: 303
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:08 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby Yazzzay » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:06 pm

Sprout wrote:If I take a nap on top of my critical pass flashcards, is that the same as studying?

Ps should I be concerned I haven't received a city assignment as an out of state taker?


Haven't gotten anything out of state either! And checking hotels in Albany/Buffalo and looks like everything super close to locations is nearly gone besides Motel 6s and hostels and anything else is non-refundable (as far as booking.com is telling me) so that's super awesome.

User avatar
lovejopd

Silver
Posts: 544
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:00 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby lovejopd » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:19 pm

For out of stater, are we supposed to receive 'pre-selected location' in the mail and then have a chance to change it? Is it hard to change the location online or by phone? Thx!

User avatar
Slytherpuff

Platinum
Posts: 5401
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:50 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby Slytherpuff » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:23 pm

Yazzzay wrote:
Sprout wrote:If I take a nap on top of my critical pass flashcards, is that the same as studying?

Ps should I be concerned I haven't received a city assignment as an out of state taker?


Haven't gotten anything out of state either! And checking hotels in Albany/Buffalo and looks like everything super close to locations is nearly gone besides Motel 6s and hostels and anything else is non-refundable (as far as booking.com is telling me) so that's super awesome.

Again, the email for out-of-state people isn't coming until tomorrow afternoon.

legallyblonde88

New
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:08 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby legallyblonde88 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:33 pm

lovejopd wrote:For out of stater, are we supposed to receive 'pre-selected location' in the mail and then have a chance to change it? Is it hard to change the location online or by phone? Thx!


Out of staters should receive an email, likely tomorrow afternoon EST, asking you to select your testing location - likely between Albany or Buffalo. The bar website doesn't indicate if you can change your selection after the fact - but based on how quickly seats fill at the popular locations, I strongly suspect changing will be down right impossible.

Link to NY Bar Site for reference, https://www.nybarexam.org/ExamSites/ExamSites.htm

rukalx

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:47 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby rukalx » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:38 pm

Anyone want a hotel room in Albany Hilton from July.24th - 26th? The price is about $710.

User avatar
Sprout

Silver
Posts: 774
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:46 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby Sprout » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:08 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:
Yazzzay wrote:
Sprout wrote:If I take a nap on top of my critical pass flashcards, is that the same as studying?

Ps should I be concerned I haven't received a city assignment as an out of state taker?


Haven't gotten anything out of state either! And checking hotels in Albany/Buffalo and looks like everything super close to locations is nearly gone besides Motel 6s and hostels and anything else is non-refundable (as far as booking.com is telling me) so that's super awesome.

Again, the email for out-of-state people isn't coming until tomorrow afternoon.

Ah sorry for not looking up through the thread... my bad.
PS thank you <3

User avatar
cnk1220

Silver
Posts: 988
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:48 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby cnk1220 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:54 pm

Sprout wrote:
Slytherpuff wrote:
Yazzzay wrote:
Sprout wrote:If I take a nap on top of my critical pass flashcards, is that the same as studying?

Ps should I be concerned I haven't received a city assignment as an out of state taker?


Haven't gotten anything out of state either! And checking hotels in Albany/Buffalo and looks like everything super close to locations is nearly gone besides Motel 6s and hostels and anything else is non-refundable (as far as booking.com is telling me) so that's super awesome.

Again, the email for out-of-state people isn't coming until tomorrow afternoon.

Ah sorry for not looking up through the thread... my bad.
PS thank you <3



For hotels, I used priceline (not express deals), but I booked two in Albany and Buffalo and they were both refundable so maybe try doing that today? It's going to be even more booked tomorrow when everyone gets assigned, but many people book two refundable and just cancel the other.

User avatar
lovejopd

Silver
Posts: 544
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:00 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby lovejopd » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:08 pm

cnk1220 wrote:
Sprout wrote:
Slytherpuff wrote:
Yazzzay wrote:
Sprout wrote:If I take a nap on top of my critical pass flashcards, is that the same as studying?

Ps should I be concerned I haven't received a city assignment as an out of state taker?


Haven't gotten anything out of state either! And checking hotels in Albany/Buffalo and looks like everything super close to locations is nearly gone besides Motel 6s and hostels and anything else is non-refundable (as far as booking.com is telling me) so that's super awesome.

Again, the email for out-of-state people isn't coming until tomorrow afternoon.

Ah sorry for not looking up through the thread... my bad.
PS thank you <3



For hotels, I used priceline (not express deals), but I booked two in Albany and Buffalo and they were both refundable so maybe try doing that today? It's going to be even more booked tomorrow when everyone gets assigned, but many people book two refundable and just cancel the other.


I only booked one place thinking that I can choose the place that I want. Need to be concerend about...? :cry:

User avatar
Slytherpuff

Platinum
Posts: 5401
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:50 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby Slytherpuff » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:17 pm

If you picked a hotel in Albany or Buffalo, you should be fine. You'll just want to select your location as soon as you get the seat location email tomorrow afternoon - don't risk having one of those locations fill up later on.

User avatar
de minimis

New
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:48 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby de minimis » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:36 pm

Just got the out of state email.

OutoftheWoods

Bronze
Posts: 135
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:49 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby OutoftheWoods » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:37 pm

Out of state email just went out. I was there righton the dot. No NYC available. I literally was RIGHT THERE. I am so sad. Albany it is, I guess.

WW25

New
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:01 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby WW25 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:37 pm

Out of state email just got sent out

User avatar
heythatslife

Silver
Posts: 1201
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:18 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby heythatslife » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm

Yeah, no NYC options for out-of-state people confirmed.

OutoftheWoods

Bronze
Posts: 135
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:49 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby OutoftheWoods » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:40 pm

heythatslife wrote:Yeah, no NYC options for out-of-state people confirmed.


this has to be the first year this has happened? i feel like in past TLS threads there have always been nyc available if you were right on the dot. this blows.

User avatar
Slytherpuff

Platinum
Posts: 5401
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:50 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby Slytherpuff » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:41 pm

Dang, this is a super weird year. Sorry to hear that!

User avatar
the_pakalypse

Bronze
Posts: 214
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:34 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby the_pakalypse » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:03 pm

Why are all the nearby hotels in Buffalo already booked? :(

User avatar
Sprout

Silver
Posts: 774
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:46 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby Sprout » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:07 pm

If we booked albany, how do we know if we'll be at

Empire State Plaza Convention Hall
Concourse Level, Albany, NY 12242, OR

Albany Capital Center, 55 Eagle St, Albany, NY 12207

FormerChild

New
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:41 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby FormerChild » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:10 pm

the_pakalypse wrote:Why are all the nearby hotels in Buffalo already booked? :(


I was shocked that all of them were booked up within 10 minutes of the email going out. Luckily was able to get one at the Buffalo Marriott Harborcenter, hopefully its not a shithole



Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ayyyarianna, sbk06 and 23 guests