July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - Results Are Here!!!

User avatar
cnk1220
Posts: 990
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:48 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - It's Over! Congrats!

Postby cnk1220 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:02 pm

iambify wrote:When we get our scores in Oct/Nov, will they give us a breakdown of each MPT/MEE/MBE section or only the combined score?



Your certification letter will tell you your MBE score, and your total UBE score you can do the math to figure out your MEE score. But they won't give you a breakdown on what you got on each essay or MPT.

MrT
Posts: 208
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:37 am

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - It's Over! Congrats!

Postby MrT » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:03 pm

iambify wrote:When we get our scores in Oct/Nov, will they give us a breakdown of each MPT/MEE/MBE section or only the combined score?

If you pass, you get a total score and your scaled MBE score. So you will be able to calculate your written score but won't know the breakdown between essays and MPT.

If you fail, from what I have been told, you will get a complete breakdown of your score. I.e., you will see your score on each essay and each MPT.

L_William_W
Posts: 173
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:20 am

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - It's Over! Congrats!

Postby L_William_W » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:02 pm

I took NY on Tuesday and Wednesday. I'm somewhat apprehensive but I at least put up a fight. I didn't have time to finish the second MPT. I IRACed the shit out of both MPTs and split the rules into elements. I also compared and contrasted the various cases. I'm scared that the graders are going to find something to take off points for.

The first MEE (Torts) was a cakewalk. There was also a hidden independent contractor/vicarious liability issue. When I saw the second MEE, I shitted in my pants. It was some weird Con Law/ Civ Pro problem. I just took what I knew and applied it to the facts (something about 11th Amendment Immunity not applying to state officials and being able to sue states for equitable relief). I screwed up by addressing the final issue as the Commerce Clause and not the dormant commerce clause. The 3rd essay, Secured Transactions, what another doozy. I basically bullshitted on that essay. On the Wills and Trust essay, I went line through line, addressing every issue that popped up (invalid holographic will, interested witness, pretermitted child, integrated document, anti-lapse). The evidence/ crim pro essay was straightforward. The last Civ Pro essay was a challenge. Once again, I conjured up some crap.

The MBE...FML. Torts and Con Law were straightforward. Crim was a little tricky. Property and Contracts were easier than expected, but not a cakewalk. Evidence was very tricky. Civ Pro was an 8th Amendment violation of cruel and unusual punishment.

Worst case scenario, I'm ready to fight again in February. I'm licensed in NJ and I desperately want to be admitted on the other side of the Hudson River.

***Moderators, I'm not trying to break the rules by discussing specific questions. I'm only addressing general themes and my experience. If I violated the rules, please PM me and I'll edit or remove this post***

User avatar
cnk1220
Posts: 990
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:48 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - It's Over! Congrats!

Postby cnk1220 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:05 pm

Congrats everyone who finished the bar! The worst is over!!

If you're anything like the average person...for the next week or so you will constantly think about the MBEs that confused you/weird stuff on the MEE/MPT/lookup stuff in your notes...but 1 week from now you won't give a shit about the bar exam...come beginning of October when states start to release scores you will all come back here and commiserate together/consider another profession/question why you went to law school/think about moving to states like Alabama/New Mexico if you fail by only a few points/worry about your answers again until the day results come out.

I suggest moving along with "forgetting about the bar exam" with alcohol, netflix, and a vacation!! :D

User avatar
elendinel
Posts: 970
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:29 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - It's Over! Congrats!

Postby elendinel » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:34 pm

L_William_W wrote:The MBE...FML. Torts and Con Law were straightforward. Crim was a little tricky. Property and Contracts were easier than expected, but not a cakewalk. Evidence was very tricky. Civ Pro was an 8th Amendment violation of cruel and unusual punishment.


What about the evidence/crim questions was tricky to you? Feel free to PM if you want.

User avatar
Sprout
Posts: 765
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:46 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - It's Over! Congrats!

Postby Sprout » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:19 am

elendinel wrote:
L_William_W wrote:The MBE...FML. Torts and Con Law were straightforward. Crim was a little tricky. Property and Contracts were easier than expected, but not a cakewalk. Evidence was very tricky. Civ Pro was an 8th Amendment violation of cruel and unusual punishment.


What about the evidence/crim questions was tricky to you? Feel free to PM if you want.

I also want to know this because that was the only one I felt okay about.

User avatar
Toubro
Posts: 230
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:18 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - It's Over! Congrats!

Postby Toubro » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:22 pm

cnk1220 wrote:Congrats everyone who finished the bar! The worst is over!!

If you're anything like the average person...for the next week or so you will constantly think about the MBEs that confused you/weird stuff on the MEE/MPT/lookup stuff in your notes...but 1 week from now you won't give a shit about the bar exam...come beginning of October when states start to release scores you will all come back here and commiserate together/consider another profession/question why you went to law school/think about moving to states like Alabama/New Mexico if you fail by only a few points/worry about your answers again until the day results come out.

I suggest moving along with "forgetting about the bar exam" with alcohol, netflix, and a vacation!! :D


I understand the immediately freaking out after part, and the coming back here in October part. Can't wait to get to the apathetic portion in the middle you describe haha.

User avatar
runthetrap1990
Posts: 431
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:38 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - It's Over! Congrats!

Postby runthetrap1990 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:25 pm

Toubro wrote:
cnk1220 wrote:Congrats everyone who finished the bar! The worst is over!!

If you're anything like the average person...for the next week or so you will constantly think about the MBEs that confused you/weird stuff on the MEE/MPT/lookup stuff in your notes...but 1 week from now you won't give a shit about the bar exam...come beginning of October when states start to release scores you will all come back here and commiserate together/consider another profession/question why you went to law school/think about moving to states like Alabama/New Mexico if you fail by only a few points/worry about your answers again until the day results come out.

I suggest moving along with "forgetting about the bar exam" with alcohol, netflix, and a vacation!! :D


I understand the immediately freaking out after part, and the coming back here in October part. Can't wait to get to the apathetic portion in the middle you describe haha.


The law school experience + bar is just one big stress cycle. Please make it stop.

Blackberie
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:19 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - It's Over! Congrats!

Postby Blackberie » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:46 pm

I think the essays were okay. Even if you didn't get the conclusions correct, I'm told that we get points for an analysis and rules of law statements.

The MBE was tough though. I found myself getting to 50/50 and guessing at many times. They were harder than practice questions I did with Themis & Adaptibar which doesn't make sense to me. Anyone else feel this way? I struggled with the civil procedure questions big time - I did not expect so many questions on the super obscure parts of the FRCP.

User avatar
Toubro
Posts: 230
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:18 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - It's Over! Congrats!

Postby Toubro » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:47 pm

runthetrap1990 wrote:
Toubro wrote:
cnk1220 wrote:Congrats everyone who finished the bar! The worst is over!!

If you're anything like the average person...for the next week or so you will constantly think about the MBEs that confused you/weird stuff on the MEE/MPT/lookup stuff in your notes...but 1 week from now you won't give a shit about the bar exam...come beginning of October when states start to release scores you will all come back here and commiserate together/consider another profession/question why you went to law school/think about moving to states like Alabama/New Mexico if you fail by only a few points/worry about your answers again until the day results come out.

I suggest moving along with "forgetting about the bar exam" with alcohol, netflix, and a vacation!! :D


I understand the immediately freaking out after part, and the coming back here in October part. Can't wait to get to the apathetic portion in the middle you describe haha.


The law school experience + bar is just one big stress cycle. Please make it stop.


lol I stressed about my MPRE score for a month for absolutely no reason. You'd think I'd have learned a lesson but doesn't look like it

User avatar
Sprout
Posts: 765
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:46 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - It's Over! Congrats!

Postby Sprout » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:59 pm

SowhatsNU wrote:
SowhatsNU wrote:
BuddyHoller wrote:
MrWhitman wrote:
Slytherpuff wrote:I forgot to celebrate last night, I just bingewatched Netflix sober and wondered why I feel like I let myself down. I can't believe after all these years of trying to be a lawyer my performance on this brutal test is what I have to show for it.

Very close to how I feel slytherpuff. I really think we will all feel better in a week. Past years have very similar post-exam doubts on TLS and Reddit.

A few sleeps from now and we will all be proud of the work we did for the last two months and the way that we remained compassionate and gracious throughout it--helping each other and being encouraging. That's a an overall win in a pretty toxic profession. Thankfully, those qualities transcend bar performance in the long run. I'm super proud of all the regular posters here and applaud your hard work! I'd be happy to have you as a lawyer :D

Well said.


I agree with all of this. Hopefully we all feel better in a week


"This too shall pass, and so will you"

This was a few days ago but it's taken me this long to catch up... ^ all of this. Congrats everyone for getting through

rom10
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:18 am

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - It's Over! Congrats!

Postby rom10 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:59 am

No matter what services I try on this freaking exam or how hard I study, it's like I just fall apart come test day. I have no idea what to do anymore... FML.

guyindfw1
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:26 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - It's Over! Congrats!

Postby guyindfw1 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:48 pm

I need the Barbri Conviser to prep. Please message me. I can buy the whole set of books as well. Thank you.

User avatar
thelawyer1908
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:26 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - It's Over! Congrats!

Postby thelawyer1908 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:41 pm

Question: NY is one of the last jurisdictions to announce results?

hockeyman969
Posts: 260
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:17 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - It's Over! Congrats!

Postby hockeyman969 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:50 pm

thelawyer1908 wrote:Question: NY is one of the last jurisdictions to announce results?


California is last in, NJ may be later since that's UBE.

User avatar
Slytherpuff
Posts: 5221
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:50 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - It's Over! Congrats!

Postby Slytherpuff » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:41 pm

hockeyman969 wrote:
thelawyer1908 wrote:Question: NY is one of the last jurisdictions to announce results?


California is last in, NJ may be later since that's UBE.

???? NY is UBE too.

Based on Deceptively Blonde's website (https://deceptivelyblonde.com/bar-exam-results/) we'll be one of the last states but there are a few others besides CA with November release dates. I'm hoping we'll be sometime between October 25-27! Earlier would obviously be great though.

User avatar
Sprout
Posts: 765
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:46 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - It's Over! Congrats!

Postby Sprout » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:53 pm

Also lol @ comparing NY to NJ... wrt to the bar, among other things

Sorry for being in a bad mood. I dont want to still be at work.

But forreal, NJ is simple as pie compared to NY so... be stoked if you work there.

hockeyman969
Posts: 260
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:17 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - It's Over! Congrats!

Postby hockeyman969 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:08 pm

Sprout wrote:Also lol @ comparing NY to NJ... wrt to the bar, among other things

Sorry for being in a bad mood. I dont want to still be at work.

But forreal, NJ is simple as pie compared to NY so... be stoked if you work there.


NJ is UBE as well.

User avatar
lolabear727
Posts: 282
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:07 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - It's Over! Congrats!

Postby lolabear727 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:47 am

Sprout wrote:Also lol @ comparing NY to NJ... wrt to the bar, among other things

Sorry for being in a bad mood. I dont want to still be at work.

But forreal, NJ is simple as pie compared to NY so... be stoked if you work there.



Meaning easier to pass UBE when taking in NJ rather than NY?

User avatar
Sprout
Posts: 765
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:46 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - It's Over! Congrats!

Postby Sprout » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:26 am

lolabear727 wrote:
Sprout wrote:Also lol @ comparing NY to NJ... wrt to the bar, among other things

Sorry for being in a bad mood. I dont want to still be at work.

But forreal, NJ is simple as pie compared to NY so... be stoked if you work there.



Meaning easier to pass UBE when taking in NJ rather than NY?

10 thousand percent yes

User avatar
lolabear727
Posts: 282
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:07 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - It's Over! Congrats!

Postby lolabear727 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:34 pm

Sprout wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:
Sprout wrote:Also lol @ comparing NY to NJ... wrt to the bar, among other things

Sorry for being in a bad mood. I dont want to still be at work.

But forreal, NJ is simple as pie compared to NY so... be stoked if you work there.



Meaning easier to pass UBE when taking in NJ rather than NY?

10 thousand percent yes


Hmm.. maybe I should change my testing location. I have everything in for NY as I took February. What makes you say that out of curiosity? The caliber of people taking it? The amount of people taking it? They went from luke74% in July 2016 to 41% pass in february 2017 when they adopted the UBE. Seems harder no? Only 460ish takers. Crazy.

User avatar
Slytherpuff
Posts: 5221
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:50 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - It's Over! Congrats!

Postby Slytherpuff » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:42 pm

I think the February pass rates are always lower than July because there are fewer takers who just graduated from law school - just a different population of takers in July v. February. July 2016 was the first time NY used the UBE and there was nothing harder or easier about that administration. The UBE should still be easier than the old state format for NY.

Also NJ and NY require the same score to pass the UBE (266) but I just looked up the MPRE requirements and WOW there is a huge discrepancy for the required MPRE score. NY requires an 85 and NJ only requires a 75?!

User avatar
Sprout
Posts: 765
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:46 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - It's Over! Congrats!

Postby Sprout » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:02 pm

If you need anything -- for example: accommodations, information, quicker C&f process - NJ is objectively simpler*/easier than NY

User avatar
fishfry111
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 10:51 am

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - It's Over! Congrats!

Postby fishfry111 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:50 pm

Hi...sorry...sure this has been asked.
NY release date about 10/24 right?

User avatar
Slytherpuff
Posts: 5221
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:50 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - It's Over! Congrats!

Postby Slytherpuff » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:50 pm

fishfry111 wrote:Hi...sorry...sure this has been asked.
NY release date about 10/24 right?

Probably sometime that week but we don't know for sure!




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: onlythreemonths, squiggle and 11 guests