July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - It's Over! Congrats!

Pick one section to have your full score based on:

MBE
16
20%
MEE
15
19%
MPT
35
44%
I'd rather just be scored on all three sections.
14
18%
 
Total votes: 80

User avatar
Bass
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:16 am

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby Bass » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:55 am

bda wrote:
Bass wrote:http://www.nybarexam.org/Docs/secpolicy.pdf

No highlighters
No mechanical pencils
Only No. 2 pencils (what is that?)
No allowance for gender neutral hygiene products (tissue? toilet roll?)
Money is banned?

What in the flying h@ck! :evil:


Where do you see that money is banned?


I inferred it from "All other items are prohibited". Can a pass taker correct me if I'm wrong? :oops:

MrT
Posts: 203
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:37 am

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby MrT » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:30 am

Bass wrote:
bda wrote:
Bass wrote:http://www.nybarexam.org/Docs/secpolicy.pdf

No highlighters
No mechanical pencils
Only No. 2 pencils (what is that?)
No allowance for gender neutral hygiene products (tissue? toilet roll?)
Money is banned?

What in the flying h@ck! :evil:


Where do you see that money is banned?


I inferred it from "All other items are prohibited". Can a pass taker correct me if I'm wrong? :oops:

I took my wallet in without issue.

FormerChild
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:41 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby FormerChild » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:00 am

Just got seat ticket email

User avatar
Yugihoe
Posts: 373
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby Yugihoe » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:04 am

Got placed to jacob javits ugh

User avatar
bda
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:14 am

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby bda » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:12 am

Empire State Plaza.

Also noticed the email says "Please note that you may carry cash, a credit card and keys with you on exam day." so that should clear up any of those concerns!

justwanttobealawyer
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:42 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby justwanttobealawyer » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:26 am

bda wrote:Empire State Plaza.

Also noticed the email says "Please note that you may carry cash, a credit card and keys with you on exam day." so that should clear up any of those concerns!


Anyone know how seat ticket locations are determined? I'm at Armory.

User avatar
tacocohcevoli
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby tacocohcevoli » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:29 am

I'm at the hotel, which is awesome because I love walking around Times Square at 5PM.

User avatar
Slytherpuff
Posts: 4770
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:50 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby Slytherpuff » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:45 am

I got Armory, when the other two are way, way closer to my apartment :|

User avatar
Bass
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:16 am

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby Bass » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:09 pm

What's a safe time to arrive? Ticket says 8am but don't want to be bumming around for an hour and a half until test starts! :|

User avatar
Yugihoe
Posts: 373
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby Yugihoe » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:10 pm

Bass wrote:What's a safe time to arrive? Ticket says 8am but don't want to be bumming around for an hour and a half until test starts! :|


I'll probably get there at 8:40

User avatar
Slytherpuff
Posts: 4770
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:50 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby Slytherpuff » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:15 pm

Yugihoe wrote:
Bass wrote:What's a safe time to arrive? Ticket says 8am but don't want to be bumming around for an hour and a half until test starts! :|


I'll probably get there at 8:40

I'm shooting for 8:20. I have to transfer trains a couple of times to get to Washington Heights and I don't want to push it any later than that.

ellewoodsNYC
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:16 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby ellewoodsNYC » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:45 pm

How is everyone allocating time toward the MPT? It takes a lot of time to get through one wondering if its a waste of time. How does everyone else feel?

FormerChild
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:41 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby FormerChild » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:04 pm

ellewoodsNYC wrote:How is everyone allocating time toward the MPT? It takes a lot of time to get through one wondering if its a waste of time. How does everyone else feel?


I've done 3 MPT's so far via Barbri's assignments. Planning to review the different types of assignments we could be called to write, and gonna do 2 MPT's back to back sometime before the 25th to get a feel for doing 2 in a row before exam day, that's about it for me.

User avatar
cnk1220
Posts: 986
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:48 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby cnk1220 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:16 pm

FormerChild wrote:
ellewoodsNYC wrote:How is everyone allocating time toward the MPT? It takes a lot of time to get through one wondering if its a waste of time. How does everyone else feel?


I've done 3 MPT's so far via Barbri's assignments. Planning to review the different types of assignments we could be called to write, and gonna do 2 MPT's back to back sometime before the 25th to get a feel for doing 2 in a row before exam day, that's about it for me.



I'd suggest going over the different types (brief, letters, etc.) so you are familiar with how to format them. I never wrote a single MPT out and did just fine going over how to format them/following task memo directions to a T.

User avatar
SplitMyPants
Posts: 1592
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby SplitMyPants » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:30 pm

how does this "personal belongings room" work?
really not liking the idea of traveling to the test site with a naked laptop---how terrible would it be to break my laptop morning of...
thinking id bring my case and just drop it in that room

r.a.t.keurig.machine
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:01 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby r.a.t.keurig.machine » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:57 pm

Does anyone know how many people are assigned to each testing site? I'm at the Albany Capital Center.

I previously took the TX bar and there were approximately 1500 bar examinees in the convention center. On essay day, it took over an hour to collect everyone's materials after the exam was finished and we could be dismissed. I'm hoping that there might be fewer people in each room/site to expedite the process.

Also, does anyone know about the temperature of the exam rooms. During my previous exam, the room was absolutely freezing to the point the proctors were wearing winter style clothing and gloves (keep in mind, this was July in Texas!). I see that the rules prohibit coats and jackets, but are sweatshirts permissible?

User avatar
bda
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:14 am

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby bda » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:15 pm

r.a.t.keurig.machine wrote:I see that the rules prohibit coats and jackets, but are sweatshirts permissible?


We would all benefit from some reading comprehension (though probably excusable this close to the bar). Verbatim from today's email from BOLE "Please also note that hooded sweatshirts ARE permitted to be worn but the hood must remain down at all times."

r.a.t.keurig.machine
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:01 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby r.a.t.keurig.machine » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:19 pm

Thanks for that. I glossed over it to access my seat ticket.

helpappreciated
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:43 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby helpappreciated » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:27 pm

So can we use a computer mice and bring our chargers?

Carly
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:24 am

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby Carly » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:32 pm

r.a.t.keurig.machine wrote:Does anyone know how many people are assigned to each testing site? I'm at the Albany Capital Center.

I previously took the TX bar and there were approximately 1500 bar examinees in the convention center. On essay day, it took over an hour to collect everyone's materials after the exam was finished and we could be dismissed. I'm hoping that there might be fewer people in each room/site to expedite the process.

Also, does anyone know about the temperature of the exam rooms. During my previous exam, the room was absolutely freezing to the point the proctors were wearing winter style clothing and gloves (keep in mind, this was July in Texas!). I see that the rules prohibit coats and jackets, but are sweatshirts permissible?



quite unfortunately a third time taker- the only thing im confident on is knowing exactly what these 2 days run like lol. first time (J16) I was in Saratoga and the exit process was quick because the rooms were maybe 150 each (max). F17 it took FOREVER for dismissal cause all the laptop takers in the Empire State Plaza were all in one big room (I believe). Hoping this time around they break the rooms down like J16. Only thing worse than the exam is sitting there for 40 minutes after you've sealed your fate praying for a cigarette and a phone call to mom lmao

User avatar
SplitMyPants
Posts: 1592
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby SplitMyPants » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:36 pm

for the mbe day we don't need are laptops for anything, right?

MrT
Posts: 203
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:37 am

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby MrT » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:37 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:how does this "personal belongings room" work?
really not liking the idea of traveling to the test site with a naked laptop---how terrible would it be to break my laptop morning of...
thinking id bring my case and just drop it in that room

In Buffalo, there were several rooms where you would leave your bag before the sessions. You could access your bag during the break and bring it back before the next session. There was a security guard but there is no real way for that person to "guard" your things other than from randos. However, it's pretty unlikely you'll 1) leave something valuable other than the bag itself, and 2) someone would risk a C&F issue during the exam for something in your bag.

MrT
Posts: 203
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:37 am

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby MrT » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:37 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:for the mbe day we don't need are laptops for anything, right?

Correct. You will only need pencils and a sharpener.

FormerChild
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:41 pm

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby FormerChild » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:08 pm

Carly wrote:
r.a.t.keurig.machine wrote:Does anyone know how many people are assigned to each testing site? I'm at the Albany Capital Center.

I previously took the TX bar and there were approximately 1500 bar examinees in the convention center. On essay day, it took over an hour to collect everyone's materials after the exam was finished and we could be dismissed. I'm hoping that there might be fewer people in each room/site to expedite the process.

Also, does anyone know about the temperature of the exam rooms. During my previous exam, the room was absolutely freezing to the point the proctors were wearing winter style clothing and gloves (keep in mind, this was July in Texas!). I see that the rules prohibit coats and jackets, but are sweatshirts permissible?



quite unfortunately a third time taker- the only thing im confident on is knowing exactly what these 2 days run like lol. first time (J16) I was in Saratoga and the exit process was quick because the rooms were maybe 150 each (max). F17 it took FOREVER for dismissal cause all the laptop takers in the Empire State Plaza were all in one big room (I believe). Hoping this time around they break the rooms down like J16. Only thing worse than the exam is sitting there for 40 minutes after you've sealed your fate praying for a cigarette and a phone call to mom lmao


Damn I was worried about this. I'm taking in Buffalo and I booked a flight that departs at 7:15 pm on the 26. Is it possible that I could miss my flight? Time from bar location to hotel is 7 minutes, and from hotel to airport is 21 minutes, so like 30-35 minutes of travel time…

Carly
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:24 am

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Postby Carly » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:13 pm

FormerChild wrote:
Carly wrote:
r.a.t.keurig.machine wrote:Does anyone know how many people are assigned to each testing site? I'm at the Albany Capital Center.

I previously took the TX bar and there were approximately 1500 bar examinees in the convention center. On essay day, it took over an hour to collect everyone's materials after the exam was finished and we could be dismissed. I'm hoping that there might be fewer people in each room/site to expedite the process.

Also, does anyone know about the temperature of the exam rooms. During my previous exam, the room was absolutely freezing to the point the proctors were wearing winter style clothing and gloves (keep in mind, this was July in Texas!). I see that the rules prohibit coats and jackets, but are sweatshirts permissible?



quite unfortunately a third time taker- the only thing im confident on is knowing exactly what these 2 days run like lol. first time (J16) I was in Saratoga and the exit process was quick because the rooms were maybe 150 each (max). F17 it took FOREVER for dismissal cause all the laptop takers in the Empire State Plaza were all in one big room (I believe). Hoping this time around they break the rooms down like J16. Only thing worse than the exam is sitting there for 40 minutes after you've sealed your fate praying for a cigarette and a phone call to mom lmao


Damn I was worried about this. I'm taking in Buffalo and I booked a flight that departs at 7:15 pm on the 26. Is it possible that I could miss my flight? Time from bar location to hotel is 7 minutes, and from hotel to airport is 21 minutes, so like 30-35 minutes of travel time…


I will say both times i had 6:25ish busses and made both with plenty of time. I think that the second day goes faster cause 1) they've already gotten the procedure down day 1 2) a lot of people leave early, so way less tests to collect at the end.

You may be cutting it close but IMO i think you'll be alright.




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: airdudeme, bballbb02, Brian_Wildcat, Downstairs_Mixup, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], lolabear727, randomaccess, supersplittysplitter, unlvcrjchick and 19 guests