July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - Results Are Here!!! Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
JoeSeperac

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - Results Are Here!!!

Post by JoeSeperac » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:03 pm

Toubro wrote: Those statistics are definitely above my pay grade, but I can order a UBE score report and send it to you if it would help in your data gathering.

And thanks, I was happy with my score for like 2 hours before realizing that I was probably really inefficient with my time and could have enjoyed my summer more haha.

Happy to share how I studied for the MBE though. I did all of the questions that Barbri assigned -- including the daily MPQ sets, the midterm, the refresher, and (I think) also the extra sets they had on their website. I think this totaled to about 1200 "fake" MBE questions. With respect to the real questions, I did the Emanuel book (I think he says there are about ~600 real questions in there). Also, I did the OPEs NCBE released to the extent not covered in the Emanuel book. Lastly, in my down time, I'd take a crack at the three full-length MBEs NCBE published on the website. Those were 200 questions each, also totaling 600. That last resource was a little dubious because obviously the law has changed since then, as has their editorial style.

In each case and to the extent available, I also read the answer explanations for each answer choice for all questions regardless of whether I got it right or not, and I would hate myself for wasting hours reading stuff I already knew but every now and then I would discover that I got a question right for the wrong reason.

All of this excessive MBE prep was certainly not without prejudice to my MEE/MPT scores, but I knew that I'd rather get the MBE down than struggle through the minutiae of Sec Trans or Will/Trusts.
Thanks. I'm pretty sure the UBE score report doesn't include the subscores (if anyone on here knows for certain, please let me know). The hardest part in figuring out the MBE subscores is getting the high range so I can figure out the rest. Typically, examinees that fail are not in the high range of MBE subscores (with the exception of CA examinees which tells you how difficult the CA exam is).

Hold on to your passing notice because some people won't believe you when you tell them. What was your total UBE score? Also, what was your overall % correct on all MBE practice questions that you answered? Based on the J16 national statistics on the MBE (this year's statistics will not be released until next year), this places you in the 100th percentile for the MBE. Based on J17 PA statistics, the highest MBE for J17 was 190.3 so you will probably be the 99.8th percentile for the J17 MBE. My guess is about 67,000 examinees took the MBE in 2017, so you did better than all but a handful of them.

S0M21L

New

Post by S0M21L » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:44 pm

Congratulations all! You worked very hard to achieve this accomplishment!

Toubro

Bronze

Post by Toubro » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:46 pm

JoeSeperac wrote:
Toubro wrote: Those statistics are definitely above my pay grade, but I can order a UBE score report and send it to you if it would help in your data gathering.

And thanks, I was happy with my score for like 2 hours before realizing that I was probably really inefficient with my time and could have enjoyed my summer more haha.

Happy to share how I studied for the MBE though. I did all of the questions that Barbri assigned -- including the daily MPQ sets, the midterm, the refresher, and (I think) also the extra sets they had on their website. I think this totaled to about 1200 "fake" MBE questions. With respect to the real questions, I did the Emanuel book (I think he says there are about ~600 real questions in there). Also, I did the OPEs NCBE released to the extent not covered in the Emanuel book. Lastly, in my down time, I'd take a crack at the three full-length MBEs NCBE published on the website. Those were 200 questions each, also totaling 600. That last resource was a little dubious because obviously the law has changed since then, as has their editorial style.

In each case and to the extent available, I also read the answer explanations for each answer choice for all questions regardless of whether I got it right or not, and I would hate myself for wasting hours reading stuff I already knew but every now and then I would discover that I got a question right for the wrong reason.

All of this excessive MBE prep was certainly not without prejudice to my MEE/MPT scores, but I knew that I'd rather get the MBE down than struggle through the minutiae of Sec Trans or Will/Trusts.
Thanks. I'm pretty sure the UBE score report doesn't include the subscores (if anyone on here knows for certain, please let me know). The hardest part in figuring out the MBE subscores is getting the high range so I can figure out the rest. Typically, examinees that fail are not in the high range of MBE subscores (with the exception of CA examinees which tells you how difficult the CA exam is).

Hold on to your passing notice because some people won't believe you when you tell them. What was your total UBE score? Also, what was your overall % correct on all MBE practice questions that you answered? Based on the J16 national statistics on the MBE (this year's statistics will not be released until next year), this places you in the 100th percentile for the MBE. Based on J17 PA statistics, the highest MBE for J17 was 190.3 so you will probably be the 99.8th percentile for the J17 MBE. My guess is about 67,000 examinees took the MBE in 2017, so you did better than all but a handful of them.
Total UBE was 352.

I didn’t keep track of an overall correct %, but I was always “above target” for barbri, so like around 70%. I think on the actual NCBE Questions, I was at about 80-85%.

I will hold on the notice for personal records, but I’m not tryna tell anyone my score and especially won’t show them my notice to “prove” it haha.

S0M21L

New

Post by S0M21L » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:32 am

teaearlgreyhot wrote:Passed. Retaker. 278, 142 MBE. Still in shock. Very, very thankful for this community of neurotic do-gooders. You are all aces.
Congratulations!

L_William_W

Bronze

Post by L_William_W » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:38 pm

Blackberie wrote:I'm walking around in a fog the last couple of days. This sucks.

I took Feb 2017 bar for the first time - got a 233. I didn't use a course at all (didn't have the money). I used only Adaptibar.

Second time around in July 2017 I bought Themis. My score went up to 254. I went up to 139 scaled on my essays but my MBE stayed the same at 115. I'm trying to figure out what to do. My MBE was the same the first and second time despite doing almost 2k MBE questions.

Has anyone ever heard of Law Tutors.net? I'm contemplating using them. (Calling my bank asking for credit increase)

Anyone have any suggestions on what will help improve MBE? Some of my MEE's were still in the mid 40's and I thought I did well on them - I feel like I need to learn HOW to write these essays better and HOW to take the MBE's. Any insight would be appreciated...
These books give you tips on how to approach MBE questions

https://www.amazon.com/MBE-Bootcamp-Con ... e+bootcamp

https://www.amazon.com/MBE-Bootcamp-Tor ... e+bootcamp

https://www.amazon.com/MBE-Bootcamp-Evi ... e+bootcamp

https://www.amazon.com/MBE-Bootcamp-Pro ... e+bootcamp

https://www.amazon.com/MBE-Bootcamp-Cri ... p+criminal

Also use these books to practice

https://www.amazon.com/Strategies-Tacti ... e+mbe+finz

https://www.amazon.com/Kaplan-Practice- ... nswers+mbe

If you get a question wrong, look up the pertinent rule and make a flash card of it.

When I took the bar for the 1st time, my MBE was a 118.6. During my third attempt, it was a 149.3. You can do this. Remember to thank me when you get an email in May saying that you passed the February bar exam.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

polkadot12

New

Post by polkadot12 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:58 pm

Blackberie wrote:I'm walking around in a fog the last couple of days. This sucks.

I took Feb 2017 bar for the first time - got a 233. I didn't use a course at all (didn't have the money). I used only Adaptibar.

Second time around in July 2017 I bought Themis. My score went up to 254. I went up to 139 scaled on my essays but my MBE stayed the same at 115. I'm trying to figure out what to do. My MBE was the same the first and second time despite doing almost 2k MBE questions.

Has anyone ever heard of Law Tutors.net? I'm contemplating using them. (Calling my bank asking for credit increase)

Anyone have any suggestions on what will help improve MBE? Some of my MEE's were still in the mid 40's and I thought I did well on them - I feel like I need to learn HOW to write these essays better and HOW to take the MBE's. Any insight would be appreciated...
get the emmanuel book and start doing questions now.
on average, i did 100 questions per day and reviewed them during the week, and did 33-50 per day on the weekends. I also kept a document separated into subjects explaining questions i got wrong. After a couple hundred questions, you notice a pattern. By the end in July, I had done over 4,000 MBE and had raised my MBE score another 12 points

Kaplan is wonderful as they give you unlimited essay grading, and constant access to ask someone questions as well

Shadowcrystal

New

Post by Shadowcrystal » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:36 am

Siriusendeavor wrote:
Shadowcrystal wrote:
rom10 wrote:
Scholarstika wrote:
b290 wrote:
To be fair, most state bar applications require that you fill out CoF concurrently with your exam app. Also, the Second Department (possibly the First too, not sure with the Fourth) sends you emails not long after the exam to get your stuff in - I got them due to my previous address being in the 2nd. A CoF deadline of about 2 months after the exam is pretty reasonable.

Agreed that it's nonsense to make you wait until June 2018 though. In some states, you can literally walk up to a courthouse after your results, have one of the present attorneys as a sponsor for being motioned (sworn-in), and practice on-the-spot. I'd call.

Shoot, I thought I would fail for sure and there would be no point gathering docs... Am I the only one who procrastinated? Any other passers in my shoes now?
*add: I found in the instruction package that the admission ceremony in the Second Department is conducted generally on a monthly basis. The 10/2/2017 deadline applies to another department, it seems.
Right there with you - scrambling now!
Lol don’t worry I am doing the same thing. It’s even worse for me because I’m abroad and I have to get the documents notarized at the embassy. It’s the most inconvenient thing ever.
I'm in the same boat - it's a bit overwhelming. Do you have employers abroad, and if so, do they have to go to the embassy to notarize the forms?
I am actually working abroad right now, so yeah. I asked the 3rd department and they said the docs have to be notarized but they can be done the way the locals do if they notarized documents. So if the country where you’re living/your employer is located has a notaralization system, you can use that. If they have any questions, they’ll contact you.

drns

New

Post by drns » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:29 am

Mod edit: TLS does not allow the sale of proprietary bar course materials.

OutoftheWoods

Bronze

Post by OutoftheWoods » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:14 pm

So I'm in no rush to get admitted because I'm working in Cali for the next two years; I wanted to have the option to get into NY/other UBEs once I passed NY. I'm def not rushing to get my stuff in for January swearing in. After that point, do we get to choose when we get sworn in or do they just sign us a random date? i'd love to pick the best date possible in august...so have no idea when I should send stuff in to get that date.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pvnyc

Bronze

Post by pvnyc » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:53 pm

Hi everyone, second time ny ube taker. Failed July 2017.
My MBE was really low. Is anyone willing to share their materials that helped them with the exam? My MPT was the strongest--- but everything else was a disaster.
I am retaking themis and am wondering how to approach it. Should I look at the detailed outlines instead of the lectures?
Thank you

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:21 am

OutoftheWoods wrote:So I'm in no rush to get admitted because I'm working in Cali for the next two years; I wanted to have the option to get into NY/other UBEs once I passed NY. I'm def not rushing to get my stuff in for January swearing in. After that point, do we get to choose when we get sworn in or do they just sign us a random date? i'd love to pick the best date possible in august...so have no idea when I should send stuff in to get that date.
There are dates when you can get sworn in, and you can choose from those (if I’m not mistaken).

Damage Over Time

Silver

Post by Damage Over Time » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:43 pm

b290 wrote:
OutoftheWoods wrote:So I'm in no rush to get admitted because I'm working in Cali for the next two years; I wanted to have the option to get into NY/other UBEs once I passed NY. I'm def not rushing to get my stuff in for January swearing in. After that point, do we get to choose when we get sworn in or do they just sign us a random date? i'd love to pick the best date possible in august...so have no idea when I should send stuff in to get that date.
There are dates when you can get sworn in, and you can choose from those (if I’m not mistaken).
I simply received an e-mail saying "Your interview is on June whatever and your swearing in ceremony if interview is successful is the next day." I was not given an option. However, I suspect that if you want to get sworn in on a date that's after your assigned date, they could accommodate that. You'd wanna call the department and ask tho, obviously.

TEIAM

Bronze

Post by TEIAM » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:10 pm

Damage Over Time wrote:
b290 wrote:
I simply received an e-mail saying "Your interview is on June whatever and your swearing in ceremony if interview is successful is the next day." I was not given an option. However, I suspect that if you want to get sworn in on a date that's after your assigned date, they could accommodate that. You'd wanna call the department and ask tho, obviously.
There is one date of each month in which the swearing in ceremony occurs. If you are out-of-state, they will schedule the interview on the same date as the ceremony. You can ask to move the date, but they can only move it to one of the designated dates. Unfortunately, there is no way to get around attending the ceremony.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:15 pm

TEIAM wrote:
Damage Over Time wrote:
b290 wrote:
There is one date of each month in which the swearing in ceremony occurs. If you are out-of-state, they will schedule the interview on the same date as the ceremony. You can ask to move the date, but they can only move it to one of the designated dates. Unfortunately, there is no way to get around attending the ceremony.
I’d think you’d actually have to be physically present to be sworn-in no? :lol: I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a swear-in in abstentia - even in the military.

TEIAM

Bronze

Post by TEIAM » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:22 pm

b290 wrote:
TEIAM wrote:
Damage Over Time wrote:
b290 wrote:
I’d think you’d actually have to be physically present to be sworn-in no? :lol: I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a swear-in in abstentia - even in the military.
Other states are much easier. For example, for California and Texas, you can be sworn in by any judge or even a notary. The NY process is super antiquated and pretty frustrating if you don't reside in the state.

Toubro

Bronze

Post by Toubro » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:27 pm

New Jersey posted its sample answers to the 2017 MEE/MPT.

https://www.njbarexams.org/bar-examinat ... -july-2017

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:44 pm

TEIAM wrote:
b290 wrote:
TEIAM wrote:
Damage Over Time wrote:
b290 wrote:
Other states are much easier. For example, for California and Texas, you can be sworn in by any judge or even a notary. The NY process is super antiquated and pretty frustrating if you don't reside in the state.
True. In other states, you can get your results, go to the courthouse, be sworn in by any judge and - boom! You’re a full fledged attorney.

To be fair though, NY doesn’t have the CoF attached to the exam application and has a lot of foreign applicants (most states have theirs included and usually have domestic applicants). It’s going to be different as a result.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

poupeetttee

New

Post by poupeetttee » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:02 pm

L_William_W wrote:

These books give you tips on how to approach MBE questions

https://www.amazon.com/MBE-Bootcamp-Tor ... e+bootcamp

https://www.amazon.com/MBE-Bootcamp-Evi ... e+bootcamp

https://www.amazon.com/MBE-Bootcamp-Pro ... e+bootcamp

Also use these books to practice

https://www.amazon.com/Strategies-Tacti ... e+mbe+finz

https://www.amazon.com/Kaplan-Practice- ... nswers+mbe

If you get a question wrong, look up the pertinent rule and make a flash card of it.

When I took the bar for the 1st time, my MBE was a 118.6. During my third attempt, it was a 149.3. You can do this. Remember to thank me when you get an email in May saying that you passed the February bar exam.

Hi.... I took the bar 3 times (passed 3rd time) , did 4000+ MBE questions and my MBE score has always been the same 130. I never managed to increase my score on the exam :( (I used Barbri, themis, adaptibar....) . If you struggle with MBE, my advice is to really focus /compensate with MPT and essays.... it worked for me.

Scholarstika

New

Post by Scholarstika » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:07 pm

Does gathering affidavits from everywhere always take forever like this, really? Or is it just me? I thought it was a simple process, just sending out the forms and get them signed and sent back to me- I've done it for my friends before too. And when I need it, they choose to procrastinate until the last minute and I'm waiting for it for four weeks. I know I can't complain as they are doing me a favor, not a duty, but sometimes it is just frustrating. I just wish I can get sworn in this year.

runthetrap1990

Bronze

Post by runthetrap1990 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:03 pm

Scholarstika wrote:Does gathering affidavits from everywhere always take forever like this, really? Or is it just me? I thought it was a simple process, just sending out the forms and get them signed and sent back to me- I've done it for my friends before too. And when I need it, they choose to procrastinate until the last minute and I'm waiting for it for four weeks. I know I can't complain as they are doing me a favor, not a duty, but sometimes it is just frustrating. I just wish I can get sworn in this year.
My application has been held up by one employer affidavit. it's really frustrating. I've been otherwise ready to go for 4 weeks as well :(

teaearlgreyhot

New

Post by teaearlgreyhot » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:22 pm

runthetrap1990 wrote:
Scholarstika wrote:Does gathering affidavits from everywhere always take forever like this, really? Or is it just me? I thought it was a simple process, just sending out the forms and get them signed and sent back to me- I've done it for my friends before too. And when I need it, they choose to procrastinate until the last minute and I'm waiting for it for four weeks. I know I can't complain as they are doing me a favor, not a duty, but sometimes it is just frustrating. I just wish I can get sworn in this year.
My application has been held up by one employer affidavit. it's really frustrating. I've been otherwise ready to go for 4 weeks as well :(
Same! I was really hoping to have my application in before Thanksgiving, but now it looks like it will be the first week in December (fingers crossed). You would think attorneys would understand the urgency of getting admitted. Oh well, happy to be complaining about this and not the bar exam for once.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

idissentRBG

New

Post by idissentRBG » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:49 am

I submitted my application FIRST WEEK of November (I got a head start before I received my results just in case).... still nothing but I know there are individuals who are already getting Character & Fitness interviews. Anyone submit already and crickets?

anonlaw24

New

Post by anonlaw24 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:33 pm

How does it work once you've submitted your stuff? Can anyone attest to how they were informed of character and fitness interviews (email, snail mail, etc.) and how far away the interviews are from time of notice?

Also - does anyone know how many tickets we get to the swearing in ceremony??

MrT

Bronze

Post by MrT » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:06 pm

anonlaw24 wrote:How does it work once you've submitted your stuff? Can anyone attest to how they were informed of character and fitness interviews (email, snail mail, etc.) and how far away the interviews are from time of notice?

You will receive an email that will state:
Dear Applicant:
Please be advised that the papers in support of your application for admission have been received and are complete. They will be referred to a member of the Court's Committee on Character and Fitness for review.

You will be interviewed by a member of the Committee in the Court's offices in Room 109 of the Alfred E. Smith Office Building ("AESOB") at 80 South Swan Street in Albany, New York. Your interview is scheduled for [A DATE]. You are requested to report at 9:00 AM on that date to the admissions office personnel who will be stationed at Room 109. Directions are attached.

If your application for admission is approved by the Committee member after your interview, you are scheduled to take the mandatory attorney's oath in a brief ceremony during the morning of [A DATE] in the Courtroom of the Appellate Division, Third Department, located on the fifth floor of the Robert Abrams Building for Law and Justice in the Empire State Plaza in Albany. The Abrams Building is about a one block walk down State Street from the AESOB. Please note that all visitors to the Appellate Division Courtroom, including applicants for admission and their guests, are required to pass through security.

Guests are welcome to attend the brief oath ceremony in the Courtroom. However, please note that, as a courtesy, a live stream of the oath ceremony can be accessed by simply clicking on the icon (labeled Court Session Webcast) found on the home page of the Court's website, located at www.nycourts.gov/ad3/.

You will be furnished a certificate of your admission and good standing as an attorney and counselor-at-law after your interview.

MrT

Bronze

Post by MrT » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:07 pm

anonlaw24 wrote:How does it work once you've submitted your stuff? Can anyone attest to how they were informed of character and fitness interviews (email, snail mail, etc.) and how far away the interviews are from time of notice?

You will receive an email that will state:
Dear Applicant:
Please be advised that the papers in support of your application for admission have been received and are complete. They will be referred to a member of the Court's Committee on Character and Fitness for review.

You will be interviewed by a member of the Committee in the Court's offices in Room 109 of the Alfred E. Smith Office Building ("AESOB") at 80 South Swan Street in Albany, New York. Your interview is scheduled for [A DATE]. You are requested to report at 9:00 AM on that date to the admissions office personnel who will be stationed at Room 109. Directions are attached.

If your application for admission is approved by the Committee member after your interview, you are scheduled to take the mandatory attorney's oath in a brief ceremony during the morning of [A DATE] in the Courtroom of the Appellate Division, Third Department, located on the fifth floor of the Robert Abrams Building for Law and Justice in the Empire State Plaza in Albany. The Abrams Building is about a one block walk down State Street from the AESOB. Please note that all visitors to the Appellate Division Courtroom, including applicants for admission and their guests, are required to pass through security.

Guests are welcome to attend the brief oath ceremony in the Courtroom. However, please note that, as a courtesy, a live stream of the oath ceremony can be accessed by simply clicking on the icon (labeled Court Session Webcast) found on the home page of the Court's website, located at http://www.nycourts.gov/ad3/.

You will be furnished a certificate of your admission and good standing as an attorney and counselor-at-law after your interview.
No ticket is necessary for guests but the room is small (at least in Albany).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”