July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - Results Are Here!!! Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
SowhatsNU

Bronze

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Post by SowhatsNU » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:21 am

What're you guys doing for the last two days? Essay prep, a general overview of everything, or something different?

kkdk

Bronze

Post by kkdk » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:57 am

SowhatsNU wrote:What're you guys doing for the last two days? Essay prep, a general overview of everything, or something different?

Im doing maybe another 4-5 essays on non-MBE subjects to make sure I remember the basic stuff, another MPT to makes sure I'm okay with time management (last time I outlined too much and ended up writing less than the BarBri sample memos), and just some MPQ drills online on StudySmart. The drills helped me a lot for honing down a specific rule or concept, just like for the LSAT. Planning on putting a hard stop Monday afternoon and just fiddle with ExamSoft.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:10 pm

I'm finishing up the one-page refresher sheets that I should have already finished for every subject :( Also going to read the answers to as many essays as I can (for the ones I didn't finish) and maybe do a mixed set of 50 questions or two. Plus traveling back to NYC tomorrow, as long as the thunderstorm doesn't delay my flight!

Jon_Snow

New

Post by Jon_Snow » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:45 pm

I made a document with all of Themis' Sample Answers for the Essays organized by subject a while back. I skim over short outlines then review the essay fact patterns to drill in the nuances.

Also doing a 40-60 MBE pqs on Adaptibar.
If I have time I might go through some wrong answers.

MPT...I did the same as for MEE but I might just look over the scoring sheets instead.
Last edited by Jon_Snow on Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scaramouche

New

Post by Scaramouche » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:03 pm

Armory Personal Belongings Room

Sorry I know this has been discussed a bit but I'm still a bit unclear on this.

Is this like a big free-for-all where you just kind of have to pull your bag out of a mountain of other backpacks, or is like a coat check in which you give someone a ticket? Are there cubbies? Lockers?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:31 pm

You can get into the personal belonging room at lunch and can leave your phone in there (source: boyfriend and lots of friends who took the bar last year).

@Scaramouche - I'm not sure about the setup of the Armory room, but I'm bringing a luggage tag for my purse just in case it's a free-for-all.

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:31 pm

PSA: Don't forget to visit your testing center tomorrow! Have to make sure you know how to get there, find where the bathrooms are, etc.

Yugihoe

Silver

Post by Yugihoe » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:18 pm

SowhatsNU wrote:What're you guys doing for the last two days? Essay prep, a general overview of everything, or something different?
Did a 33 q mixed MBE set this morning. Reading 3 sample essay answers for each of the 15 topics now. Going to take today evening off once I finish that, and tomorrow completely off (with the exception of maybe one final 33 q mixed set during my train ride). Going to exercise and try to relax tomorrow so I'm good to go for Tues.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - Good Luck, Everyone!

Post by Slytherpuff » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:39 pm

New poll - I figured it was either this or some variation of "what are you doing on Monday"

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dhersz

New

Post by dhersz » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:34 pm

Guys, if the ticket says be there by 8am on day one - what time is everyone planning on getting there??? 7.30 seems so goddamn early :cry:

Bass

New

Post by Bass » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:01 pm

Albany Empire State Plaza is massive. Is "Convention Hall" stated on the ticket the same as "Convention Centre"? And we're supposed to enter from Madison Avenue that cuts right through the Plaza dividing the Museum from the Convention Hall right?

Bass

New

Post by Bass » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:03 pm

What's BOLE thinking when they say not to visit the exam venue when the venues are massive and it's our first time visiting for most of us? :roll:

Biglawprettyplease

New

Post by Biglawprettyplease » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:11 pm

Does anyone know, for statute of limitations purposes, do you have to file by the SOL period, or serve process by the SOL period?

Thanx!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bass

New

Post by Bass » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:21 pm

Biglawprettyplease wrote:Does anyone know, for statute of limitations purposes, do you have to file by the SOL period, or serve process by the SOL period?

Thanx!
If you're using Themis - see page 36:

In diversity actions, state law determines whether commencement of action for the purpose of statute of limitations runs on filing or service. Walker v Armco Steel Corp.

In Fed q actions, Rule 3 states filing the complaint commences the action.

Biglawprettyplease

New

Post by Biglawprettyplease » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:52 pm

Bass wrote:
Biglawprettyplease wrote:Does anyone know, for statute of limitations purposes, do you have to file by the SOL period, or serve process by the SOL period?

Thanx!
If you're using Themis - see page 36:

In diversity actions, state law determines whether commencement of action for the purpose of statute of limitations runs on filing or service. Walker v Armco Steel Corp.

In Fed q actions, Rule 3 states filing the complaint commences the action.
Thanks!!

TheoO

Silver

Post by TheoO » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:21 pm

I may do an MPT tomorrow. Really hate it, but not at all feeling confident about those things for some reason. Then maybe just read over some small outlines I have for the subjects

Knickerblocker

New

Post by Knickerblocker » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:47 pm

Just curious. What font and font size will you be using for the MEE and MPT?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

iambify

New

Post by iambify » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:29 pm

If the question doesn't specify, do we apply modern law or common law?

Toubro

Bronze

Post by Toubro » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:26 am

Knickerblocker wrote:Just curious. What font and font size will you be using for the MEE and MPT?
It doesn't matter - there are no fonts inherent to ExamSoft (they just use whatever fonts your computer has). When the files are decrypted by BOLE, they'll likely standardize all fonts.

Re: final plans
I'm just reviewing those one-page refresher sheets for all of the MEE topics. For MBE I'm taking the day pretty much off, but will look at levels of scrutiny and the day-limits for motions and such for civ pro.

I read somewhere before (for the MBE, but definitely for the LSAT) that the morning of the test, it helps to do 5 or 6 warm up questions that you've already looked at once, just to get back into the swing of things. I haven't done a practice multiple choice since Contracts Set 6 (for Barbri) on Saturday, so hoping this will help me get back in the mind frame. Really hope three days aren't enough to make me "forget" how to do multiple choice haha

Yazzzay

Bronze

Post by Yazzzay » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:54 am

Bass wrote:Albany Empire State Plaza is massive. Is "Convention Hall" stated on the ticket the same as "Convention Centre"? And we're supposed to enter from Madison Avenue that cuts right through the Plaza dividing the Museum from the Convention Hall right?
I'm about to walk there now. Is there a main entrance I should look for just so I know exactly what door to go in tomorrow? Trying to make this as quick as possible in the rain w no umbrella but I'm imagining it's huge and because we can't go in, my walk is futile...

helpappreciated

New

Post by helpappreciated » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:00 am

So are the MPTs back-to-back in one session or will the sessions be split with 3 MEEs and 1 MPTs each?

Also, are we or are we not allowed to bring an extension cord for are chargers?

And last, are we even able to download the exam yet? ExamSoft says my credentials (for the NYLE) have expired.
Last edited by helpappreciated on Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nothingtosee

Silver

Post by nothingtosee » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:23 am

So my firm is reimbursing me travel expenses for the bar. I've sent them hotel and flight...is it too much to also send them airport parking and uber fare in the city from the airport?

Howl

Bronze

Post by Howl » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:40 am

Question about the laptop policy--I have a completely clear keyboard protector. Do you guys think this would be prohibited? Bleh.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:54 am

nothingtosee wrote:So my firm is reimbursing me travel expenses for the bar. I've sent them hotel and flight...is it too much to also send them airport parking and uber fare in the city from the airport?
Do it! Those are travel expenses too!

MrT

Bronze

Post by MrT » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:57 am

helpappreciated wrote:So are the MPTs back-to-back in one session or will the sessions be split with 3 MEEs and 1 MPTs each?

Also, are we or are we not allowed to bring an extension cord for are chargers?

And last, are we even able to download the exam yet? ExamSoft says my credentials (for the NYLE) have expired.
AM session will be both MPTs and the PM session will be all 6 MEEs.

Time management is key in both sessions but probably more so in the MPT.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”