July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - Results Are Here!!! Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Slytherpuff

Platinum

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Post by Slytherpuff » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:53 pm

I'm going to call and ask about Armory's personal belonging room/outlet situation. No way am I free-carrying my laptop and charger (plus maybe an extension cord?!) on the subway with all my other bar stuff. I don't really care if my purse and cracked iPhone 5 are unguarded in an arena full of people who have to deal with C&F.

Or can any February Armory takers give us the rundown?

Edit: Okay Google answered one of these questions for me. A July 2012 taker said Armory was "really relaxed" and that there were a ton of electrical outlets so extension cords were unnecessary, and there was a huge electronic clock so you didn't even need to bring a watch.

de minimis

New

Post by de minimis » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:24 pm

MrT wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:how does this "personal belongings room" work?
really not liking the idea of traveling to the test site with a naked laptop---how terrible would it be to break my laptop morning of...
thinking id bring my case and just drop it in that room
In Buffalo, there were several rooms where you would leave your bag before the sessions. You could access your bag during the break and bring it back before the next session. There was a security guard but there is no real way for that person to "guard" your things other than from randos. However, it's pretty unlikely you'll 1) leave something valuable other than the bag itself, and 2) someone would risk a C&F issue during the exam for something in your bag.
How was the temperature and general exam conditions for buffalo?

de minimis

New

Post by de minimis » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:25 pm

FormerChild wrote:
Carly wrote:
r.a.t.keurig.machine wrote:Does anyone know how many people are assigned to each testing site? I'm at the Albany Capital Center.

I previously took the TX bar and there were approximately 1500 bar examinees in the convention center. On essay day, it took over an hour to collect everyone's materials after the exam was finished and we could be dismissed. I'm hoping that there might be fewer people in each room/site to expedite the process.

Also, does anyone know about the temperature of the exam rooms. During my previous exam, the room was absolutely freezing to the point the proctors were wearing winter style clothing and gloves (keep in mind, this was July in Texas!). I see that the rules prohibit coats and jackets, but are sweatshirts permissible?

quite unfortunately a third time taker- the only thing im confident on is knowing exactly what these 2 days run like lol. first time (J16) I was in Saratoga and the exit process was quick because the rooms were maybe 150 each (max). F17 it took FOREVER for dismissal cause all the laptop takers in the Empire State Plaza were all in one big room (I believe). Hoping this time around they break the rooms down like J16. Only thing worse than the exam is sitting there for 40 minutes after you've sealed your fate praying for a cigarette and a phone call to mom lmao
Damn I was worried about this. I'm taking in Buffalo and I booked a flight that departs at 7:15 pm on the 26. Is it possible that I could miss my flight? Time from bar location to hotel is 7 minutes, and from hotel to airport is 21 minutes, so like 30-35 minutes of travel time…
Buffalo security lines are really quick and it's a small airport so you won't need much time to get from the curb to the gate.

MrT

Bronze

Post by MrT » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:31 pm

de minimis wrote:
MrT wrote:
really not liking the idea of traveling to the test site with a naked laptop---how terrible would it be to break my laptop morning of...
In Buffalo, there were several rooms where you would leave your bag before the sessions. You could access your bag during the break and bring it back before the next session. There was a security guard but there is no real way for that person to "guard" your things other than from randos. However, it's pretty unlikely you'll 1) leave something valuable other than the bag itself, and 2) someone would risk a C&F issue during the exam for something in your bag.
Miserably cold. Like 60 degrees cold. I didn't bring anything the first day and immediately went out to get something after the exam. Not surprisingly, not even target had a hoodie available in July. Come prepared.

MrT

Bronze

Post by MrT » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:34 pm

de minimis wrote:
FormerChild wrote:
Carly wrote:
r.a.t.keurig.machine wrote:Does anyone know how many people are assigned to each testing site? I'm at the Albany Capital Center.

I previously took the TX bar and there were approximately 1500 bar examinees in the convention center. On essay day, it took over an hour to collect everyone's materials after the exam was finished and we could be dismissed. I'm hoping that there might be fewer people in each room/site to expedite the process.

Also, does anyone know about the temperature of the exam rooms. During my previous exam, the room was absolutely freezing to the point the proctors were wearing winter style clothing and gloves (keep in mind, this was July in Texas!). I see that the rules prohibit coats and jackets, but are sweatshirts permissible?

quite unfortunately a third time taker- the only thing im confident on is knowing exactly what these 2 days run like lol. first time (J16) I was in Saratoga and the exit process was quick because the rooms were maybe 150 each (max). F17 it took FOREVER for dismissal cause all the laptop takers in the Empire State Plaza were all in one big room (I believe). Hoping this time around they break the rooms down like J16. Only thing worse than the exam is sitting there for 40 minutes after you've sealed your fate praying for a cigarette and a phone call to mom lmao
Damn I was worried about this. I'm taking in Buffalo and I booked a flight that departs at 7:15 pm on the 26. Is it possible that I could miss my flight? Time from bar location to hotel is 7 minutes, and from hotel to airport is 21 minutes, so like 30-35 minutes of travel time…
Buffalo security lines are really quick and it's a small airport so you won't need much time to get from the curb to the gate.
FWIW, I flew out at 7:26 last year and had enough time to drink 2 before I even boarded. Security was a breeze, but I do have precheck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bcohen226

New

Post by bcohen226 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:39 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:
Slytherpuff wrote:Checklist:
ASAP - Book your flight and hotel
July 11 or 12 - Watch out for seating tickets with the FINAL location for NYC/Albany folks
Late July - Consider pre-ordering lunch for Manhattan, Albany, and Saratoga Springs

Want more information about the bar exam?
Board of Law Examiners Website
Official New York Bar Exam Guide

FAQs/TLS Wisdom:
What can you bring past the security checkpoint?
What topics are predicted to be on this year's MEE?
What is this "autopass" thing I keep hearing about on TLS?
General advice about routines
I updated the OP with more useful information. If anyone has suggestions for things to add (or TLS posts/threads you've found helpful), let me know and I can add them!
This is helpful! Got Armory. Just ordered my lunch through that link.

de minimis

New

Post by de minimis » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:29 pm

MrT wrote:
de minimis wrote:
MrT wrote:
Miserably cold. Like 60 degrees cold. I didn't bring anything the first day and immediately went out to get something after the exam. Not surprisingly, not even target had a hoodie available in July. Come prepared.
Thanks - definitely good to know. Are the bathrooms accessible fairly quickly during the exam? I heard at Javits they're like a half mile away.

Bass

New

Post by Bass » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:40 pm

helpappreciated wrote:So can we use a computer mice and bring our chargers?
That's a good point...so every seat would come with outlets right? No way my laptop lasts 7 hours without a charger

meagtini

New

Post by meagtini » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:08 pm

Carly wrote:
FormerChild wrote:
Carly wrote:

I will say both times i had 6:25ish busses and made both with plenty of time. I think that the second day goes faster cause 1) they've already gotten the procedure down day 1 2) a lot of people leave early, so way less tests to collect at the end.

You may be cutting it close but IMO i think you'll be alright.
Thanks so much for the info. To be clear, on Day 2 we can leave as soon as we finish the exam?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cantab10

New

Post by Cantab10 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:24 am

jmt wrote:Hello guys, I've been consistently scoring between 40%-50% in my MBE practices. Am a foreign educated lawyer and this will be my first time to take the NY Bar. Would you be kind to give me some tips on how I can improve my MBE performance? I'm only 50% done with my Themis Review but almost 80% done with the lectures. On top of my low MBE practice performance, I still have to understand and swallow law concepts that are totally new to me. The struggle is real! So I'll greatly appreciate any tips on how I can improve my MBE :D
Hey jmt. I'm also a foreign educated lawyer (UK graduate) so I completely understand the struggle you're going through. I'm currently using Barbri and what I found useful for the MBE portion at least is to follow the strategy that the course provides and just memorise the standard wrong answer choices (particularly relevant in constitutional) as well as recognising fact patterns the more practice I do.

I'm currently working on essays... and it's quite a struggle given you have to be able to write out the tests so I'm just doing it open book whenever I need to specifically set out language but otherwise writing from memory.

Which exam location are you sitting in?

MrT

Bronze

Post by MrT » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:37 am

de minimis wrote:Thanks - definitely good to know. Are the bathrooms accessible fairly quickly during the exam? I heard at Javits they're like a half mile away.
It may depend on where you are seated. I was in the main ballroom and the restroom was maybe 30-45 seconds away.

Note: after the first session they didn't have the process down and I almost... had an accident(?) because they kept us at least 30 minutes after the session was over. Generally, you can't leave after the 15 minutes left mark in the session. I can say they changed the process for the subsequent sessions, partly, because I made such a scene.

Also: re 15 minute rule: there is no clock in there so you're on your own for timing.

just_me

New

Post by just_me » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:04 pm

de minimis wrote:
MrT wrote:
I wore jeans, a t-shirt and a fleece-lined hoodie I could take on and off- I found it fine temperature wise, and also fine in terms of noise (or rather, relative lack thereof).

There was space for every single person to plug in their laptops for the whole laptop day, and the security/ proctors didn't go overboard in terms of checking the items people brought in - i.e. no long discussions over whether earplugs were foam or rubber etc, whether snacks were sufficiently quiet etc!

The bathroom in my room was within 20 seconds of my seat. There were lines right before the sessions started of course, but if you had to go to the bathroom actually during the test (as I did once) you could be there and back pretty fast.

Also, my memory of the whole exit process, certainly on the second day, was that it was basically just a free for all (rather than being 'released' by section or whatnot). So, if you wanted to squeeze past people and be out of there super quickly, you could have been.

I think that's all the practical info I can think of!

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:28 pm

So I literally never learned Property law... still. What's my best chance at scraping by? :(

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

WestWingWatcher

Bronze

Post by WestWingWatcher » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:32 pm

just_me wrote:
de minimis wrote:
MrT wrote:
I wore jeans, a t-shirt and a fleece-lined hoodie I could take on and off- I found it fine temperature wise, and also fine in terms of noise (or rather, relative lack thereof).

There was space for every single person to plug in their laptops for the whole laptop day, and the security/ proctors didn't go overboard in terms of checking the items people brought in - i.e. no long discussions over whether earplugs were foam or rubber etc, whether snacks were sufficiently quiet etc!

The bathroom in my room was within 20 seconds of my seat. There were lines right before the sessions started of course, but if you had to go to the bathroom actually during the test (as I did once) you could be there and back pretty fast.

Also, my memory of the whole exit process, certainly on the second day, was that it was basically just a free for all (rather than being 'released' by section or whatnot). So, if you wanted to squeeze past people and be out of there super quickly, you could have been.

I think that's all the practical info I can think of!
The real MVP, ya'll. :!: One question, if you left the testing building during the break, do you remember how long it took to get back in?

MrT

Bronze

Post by MrT » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:38 pm

Everyone leaves during the break. How long in takes depends on how early you are willing to line up. I think it took me roughly 5 minutes to get in. Getting through security is pretty easy. I couldn't imagine it taking more than 10-15 min.

WestWingWatcher

Bronze

Post by WestWingWatcher » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:44 pm

MrT wrote:Everyone leaves during the break. How long in takes depends on how early you are willing to line up. I think it took me roughly 5 minutes to get in. Getting through security is pretty easy. I couldn't imagine it taking more than 10-15 min.
Ah, TY. I was getting conflicting answers on whether it was reasonable to just walk back to my hotel for break (less than 5 minutes away) because of how long it would take. But even if it took 15 minute to leave, 15 minutes to get back in, and 5 minutes both ways, that would still be 50 minutes to eat lunch, which is obviously more than enough. This is great to hear :D

Yazzzay

Bronze

Post by Yazzzay » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:05 am

Anyone know about the food available near the Albany Empire Plaza location? Not down with any of their lunches and was wondering if there were sandwich shops/anything quick nearby (pret a manger or sweetgreens style) or is worth just getting their lunch?

Also bag wise: I'm carrying a trader joes or similar with my laptop IN its $10 sleeve case and leaving it in the storage room- just my idea for people wondering how to carry everything- it seems sensible and if it gets lost in the room/taken (not that anyone would), nbd.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:35 am

Yazzzay wrote:Anyone know about the food available near the Albany Empire Plaza location? Not down with any of their lunches and was wondering if there were sandwich shops/anything quick nearby (pret a manger or sweetgreens style) or is worth just getting their lunch?

Also bag wise: I'm carrying a trader joes or similar with my laptop IN its $10 sleeve case and leaving it in the storage room- just my idea for people wondering how to carry everything- it seems sensible and if it gets lost in the room/taken (not that anyone would), nbd.
Because I am a moron and trying to learn all of the law right now crunch time and also internet inept (don't tell my employer) can someone link me to the page where it says what we can bring and how? With the MPRE it was pretty clear.... plastic bag, etc... I know what we are not allowed to bring but is there a site I cant find on the BOLE website or an email I missed that says specifically how we are meant to bring items in? tyia, sorry for being an idiot

FormerChild

New

Post by FormerChild » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:07 am

Sprout wrote:Because I am a moron and trying to learn all of the law right now crunch time and also internet inept (don't tell my employer) can someone link me to the page where it says what we can bring and how? With the MPRE it was pretty clear.... plastic bag, etc... I know what we are not allowed to bring but is there a site I cant find on the BOLE website or an email I missed that says specifically how we are meant to bring items in? tyia, sorry for being an idiot
https://www.nybarexam.org/Docs/secpolicy.pdf

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:13 pm

FormerChild wrote:
Sprout wrote:Because I am a moron and trying to learn all of the law right now crunch time and also internet inept (don't tell my employer) can someone link me to the page where it says what we can bring and how? With the MPRE it was pretty clear.... plastic bag, etc... I know what we are not allowed to bring but is there a site I cant find on the BOLE website or an email I missed that says specifically how we are meant to bring items in? tyia, sorry for being an idiot
https://www.nybarexam.org/Docs/secpolicy.pdf
MVP thank you

PanickingBarTaker

New

Post by PanickingBarTaker » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:16 pm

Get one of those Zip-lockey bags big enough for a laptop or just a grocery store bag and take it out once you get there, no fear of losing that.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:42 pm

PanickingBarTaker wrote:
Get one of those Zip-lockey bags big enough for a laptop or just a grocery store bag and take it out once you get there, no fear of losing that.
Yeah I'm going to risk the personal belonging room and bring my laptop/charger/snacks/etc. in a purse. I want my phone for the super long commute to Armory Track so I'm going to have stuff in the personal belonging room no matter what. It'll let me bring an additional caffeinated beverage for lunch too. I'm sure you'll be good putting your case in there, and can probably bring more stuff if you want.

ellewoodsNYC

New

Post by ellewoodsNYC » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:38 pm

how does the personal belonging room work? Do we have to sign up for it or something? or can we just bring out stuff?

bcohen226

New

Post by bcohen226 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:56 pm

Yazzzay wrote:Anyone know about the food available near the Albany Empire Plaza location? Not down with any of their lunches and was wondering if there were sandwich shops/anything quick nearby (pret a manger or sweetgreens style) or is worth just getting their lunch?

Seems like pre-ordering is the move. Heard mixed things about what is available nearby.

And for Javits... I asked someone who took it there last year and she said the bathroom situation was totally fine.

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:46 am

bcohen226 wrote:

Seems like pre-ordering is the move. Heard mixed things about what is available nearby.

And for Javits... I asked someone who took it there last year and she said the bathroom situation was totally fine.

If you're referring to the Albany Convention Center there's an au bon pain right inside the convention center literally next door to where you will take the exam, along with some other food options- I remember seeing a McDonalds but ABP would deff. be safer. They have coffee, sandwiches, and soup, do that and you'll be fine :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”