July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - Results Are Here!!! Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
supersonic17

New

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Post by supersonic17 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:46 pm

hi
anyone self-studying (not taking any courses)?
What books/ resources are you using?

dowhatyoucan

New

Post by dowhatyoucan » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:01 am

I'm also self studying. Are using any materials from a bar course or other study aid material like critical pass flash cards?

dowhatyoucan

New

Post by dowhatyoucan » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:04 am

Is anyone interested in meeting in the city to go over topics and questions?

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:02 am

supersonic17 wrote:hi
anyone self-studying (not taking any courses)?
What books/ resources are you using?
Me! I'm barred in FL, this is my second attempt at New York UBE - took F17. Wasn't too far off last time. I took off the week before the bar. Self studied that time as well. I'm working full time in litigation, didn't think that I would have time to really use a course to the full extent so I didn't want to spend the money (i may regret that). I'm using:
1. Barbri books from Summer 2016,
2. Adaptibar questions (used this for every test I've taken),
3. YouTube lectures for refresh on certain topics,
4. Strategies and Tactics MBE book (older version that a friend gave me), and
5. MEE One sheets from JD Advising. - I am loving those. I wasn't prepared to spend another $160 so my boyfriend graciously snagged those for me and had them mailed to me as a surprise. Such a sweet guy! But if you have the money laying around, I would advise grabbing those!

*I also recorded myself on my iPhone reading my small outlines so I can listen to them while i'm driving (I do miss that function from Barbri lectures)*

My plan next time if I don't pass this time around: quit my job at the end of the year, move to NY to live with my boyfriend and then take a Themis or Barbri course and study for F18. I'm trying hard to avoid that. But having a heavy case load and having to do trials and having to work and on weekends when preparing for trial is taking a toll and it proving to be a little too much to handle at the moment. I also used a lot of my vacation time for F17, so I have minimal time I can take this go round.

Carly

New

Post by Carly » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:55 pm

also self-studying.

working FT for a solo practitioner and I'm his only assistant so I hear you (to an extent) on the case load. I also took F17 and missed by a few points and didn't want to shell out another couple grand for a tutor (which is what I did in Feb).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:12 pm

Does anyone know of a downside of taking Barbri's mock MBE on Tuesday (7/2) instead of this Friday (6/30)? I just don't want to do myself a disservice if I would be missing out on useful info about my chances of passing etc.

I'm not really sticking to Barbri's schedule in general and still have some work to do on Evidence and I wanted the test to be more indicative of my actual knowledge and not me just guessing on Evidence Qs.

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:00 pm

Carly wrote:also self-studying.

working FT for a solo practitioner and I'm his only assistant so I hear you (to an extent) on the case load. I also took F17 and missed by a few points and didn't want to shell out another couple grand for a tutor (which is what I did in Feb).
I hear ya. I hired a tutor last time for essays only for like $800.. Didn't really do much for me except make sure I got out of bed early on Saturdays. What is your study schedule at the moment?

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:08 pm

If anyone's curious NY recently posted the Feb '17 MEE/MPT questions and sample best answers.

https://www.nybarexam.org/ExamQuestions/FEB2017QA.pdf

These are the best sample answers- not what is considered passing, but it gives you an idea of what someone was able to write in 30 mins. unlike the model answers from test prep companies.

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Post by Winter is Coming » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:25 pm

Thanks for that, makes me feel better after constantly bombing essays. Although, I've yet to really take the time to straight memorize MEE rules.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Toubro

Bronze

Post by Toubro » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:01 pm

cnk1220 wrote:If anyone's curious NY recently posted the Feb '17 MEE/MPT questions and sample best answers.

https://www.nybarexam.org/ExamQuestions/FEB2017QA.pdf

These are the best sample answers- not what is considered passing, but it gives you an idea of what someone was able to write in 30 mins. unlike the model answers from test prep companies.
Question - is it generally a good strategy to overkill with respect to the rule statements?

For example, in the very first section, clearly one of the main issues is the ways in which an offer can terminate, and the rule that applies here is that for express words of the offerror. But the sample answer went ahead and listed all of the ways an offer can die -- lapse, conduct, etc. I would've skipped those in a crunch.

I realize that the sample answer was more than you needed to pass, but if there's truly an advantage to be had, I'd rather overkill the rules statements on MBE topics that I know so that I can create a cushion for the MEE-only topics.

Bass

New

Post by Bass » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:03 pm

I don't suppose there is wifi at the exam venues? I remember reading something along the lines that laptop users have to upload their exam files by midnight on exam day?

Anyone knows where I can find the official instructions on this again? 8)

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:31 pm

Bass wrote:I don't suppose there is wifi at the exam venues? I remember reading something along the lines that laptop users have to upload their exam files by midnight on exam day?

Anyone knows where I can find the official instructions on this again? 8)

You have until midnight on mbe day to upload, most test centers (I can speak to Albany- Empire state convention center) don't have wifi so you will upload when you leave/get back to your hotel.

supersonic17

New

Post by supersonic17 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:03 pm

Hi

Thanks lolabear727!

Im using:
"Passing the Uniform Bar Exam" by J.D. Teller, Esq
2017 New York Bar Exam Total Preparation Book by Quest Bar Review
Also got the Studicata package (which is extremely useful) it has the summaries, flashcards and attack outlines. *For anyone thats looking to purchase this package I highly reccommed it and I also have a 20% off discount code:HS1101*.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Carly

New

Post by Carly » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:47 am

lolabear727 wrote:

I hear ya. I hired a tutor last time for essays only for like $800.. Didn't really do much for me except make sure I got out of bed early on Saturdays. What is your study schedule at the moment?
I've been logging about 2 hours (1 hour if I'm being real with all my distraction breaks) before work and about 2 hours after work- I switch it up between studying outlines and MBE questions. I've been using the weekends to crank out flash cards and pair down my outlines (try to get in the 9-5 every weekend Saturday and Sunday). Taking the week before the exam off. We'll see how it goes. you?

Rolly

New

Post by Rolly » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:49 am

okaygo wrote:Does anyone know of a downside of taking Barbri's mock MBE on Tuesday (7/2) instead of this Friday (6/30)? I just don't want to do myself a disservice if I would be missing out on useful info about my chances of passing etc.

I'm not really sticking to Barbri's schedule in general and still have some work to do on Evidence and I wanted the test to be more indicative of my actual knowledge and not me just guessing on Evidence Qs.
I'm curious about this too! Any insight on balancing the advantage of seeing how you compare and the disadvantage of taking a mock MBE before your understanding of the topics is (more or less) where you'd like it to be?

I figure you get a better understanding of where to focus/how to improve if you take the mock after you're satisfied that you've got a handle on the MBE topics (i.e., you might learn more from a question you missed as a result of flawed analysis than if you missed it on a guess). On the other hand, it might be beneficial to get an early idea of what it's like to take the exam and see where you stand.

Thoughts?

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:16 pm

Carly wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:

I've been logging about 2 hours (1 hour if I'm being real with all my distraction breaks) before work and about 2 hours after work- I switch it up between studying outlines and MBE questions. I've been using the weekends to crank out flash cards and pair down my outlines (try to get in the 9-5 every weekend Saturday and Sunday). Taking the week before the exam off. We'll see how it goes. you?
I have been less persistent with the morning studying, if I'm honest. Evenings I've been making sure to get home by 6 and do adaptibar questions until about 9 or so and reviewing outlines. I try to get up early and review the MEE stuff while i'm getting ready for work, making breakfast, etc. I'm sure you understand the struggle. Weekends I should be more focused as in a 9-5, no distractions, etc. But I'm really more like 11-4... I'm going to try to take the Monday off before the test and I have Thurs 7/20 off until the test day. That also includes having to fly to NY and get to the test site. I'm not thrilled about that but I have some important hearings Tues & Wed that I couldn't reschedule.. Bummed about it!

Carly

New

Post by Carly » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:51 pm

lolabear727 wrote:
Carly wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:

I have been less persistent with the morning studying, if I'm honest. Evenings I've been making sure to get home by 6 and do adaptibar questions until about 9 or so and reviewing outlines. I try to get up early and review the MEE stuff while i'm getting ready for work, making breakfast, etc. I'm sure you understand the struggle. Weekends I should be more focused as in a 9-5, no distractions, etc. But I'm really more like 11-4... I'm going to try to take the Monday off before the test and I have Thurs 7/20 off until the test day. That also includes having to fly to NY and get to the test site. I'm not thrilled about that but I have some important hearings Tues & Wed that I couldn't reschedule.. Bummed about it!
the morning is definitely harder- i live in the city and work in brooklyn so my commute is really the time i have to put towards studying (which is why its often distracted studying). Friday night is really the only night i take "off" and that usually means drown in a bottle of wine and netflix to wake up saturday morning and attempt to learn. we'll see how this goes lol

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:11 pm

Putting up a new poll soon - anyone have a preference for what they'd like to see?

Yazzzay

Bronze

Post by Yazzzay » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:43 pm

So sorry for asking a very obvious question- but what is the exact cut off score on each section we should be aiming for. Like how many questions right out of 200 for the MBE, and average score for each essay & the MPT?

Found this once online- can't find it now- for some reason I find the BOLE site so attrocious- it's hard to even go through it lol but I couldn't find it there. I'd appreciate a link or something!

Not looking forward to this Barbri mock MBE on friday :|

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:52 pm

Yazzzay wrote:So sorry for asking a very obvious question- but what is the exact cut off score on each section we should be aiming for. Like how many questions right out of 200 for the MBE, and average score for each essay & the MPT?

Found this once online- can't find it now- for some reason I find the BOLE site so attrocious- it's hard to even go through it lol but I couldn't find it there. I'd appreciate a link or something!

133/each (day 1 and day 2)

MrT

Bronze

Post by MrT » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:25 pm

lolabear727 wrote:
Yazzzay wrote:So sorry for asking a very obvious question- but what is the exact cut off score on each section we should be aiming for. Like how many questions right out of 200 for the MBE, and average score for each essay & the MPT?

Not sure the above is responsive. Yes, you need to shoot for a 133 for each day but it's more nuanced than that.

For the MBE, you need a scaled 133. Since the change to only 175 graded questions, no one has a real grasp on scaling. But really, you need about a 120 or 68.5% correct.

For the essays, if you assume a 6 point scale (how BarBri graded it when I took the exam), you need to average 3.5. The same is true for the MPT.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:24 pm

MrT wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:

Not sure the above is responsive. Yes, you need to shoot for a 133 for each day but it's more nuanced than that.

For the MBE, you need a scaled 133. Since the change to only 175 graded questions, no one has a real grasp on scaling. But really, you need about a 120 or 68.5% correct.

For the essays, if you assume a 6 point scale (how BarBri graded it when I took the exam), you need to average 3.5. The same is true for the MPT.
Thanks for the better response and 68.5% that makes me feel good!

Love With The Coco

New

Post by Love With The Coco » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:52 pm

68.5% is well above a 133. More like 140.

MrT

Bronze

Post by MrT » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:11 am

Love With The Coco wrote:68.5% is well above a 133. More like 140.
Not sure that's entirely true. According to Seperac.com:

"The New York MBE mean scaled score for the July 2010 exam (based on 11,557 examinees) was approximately 141.86. A scaled score of 141.86 would be a raw score of 135 (based on the July 2006 NY MBE scale - this is the last exam that NY BOLE released both raw and scaled MBE scores)."

So a 141.86 was about 71% correct based on the 190 scored questions. It's notable that this scaling was from 2006, so who really knows. I think BarBri says 65% but I'd rather be safe and shoot high.

Ultimately, for those taking Barbri, if you're around the 40th-50th percentile, you can feel pretty good going into the exam. Obviously, scoring higher than that would be ideal and will relieve some pressure on the essays.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:13 am

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”