July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - Results Are Here!!! Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
MrT

Bronze

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - Results Are Here!!!

Post by MrT » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:07 pm

anonlaw24 wrote:How does it work once you've submitted your stuff? Can anyone attest to how they were informed of character and fitness interviews (email, snail mail, etc.) and how far away the interviews are from time of notice?

Also - does anyone know how many tickets we get to the swearing in ceremony??
You will receive an email that will state:
Dear Applicant:
Please be advised that the papers in support of your application for admission have been received and are complete. They will be referred to a member of the Court's Committee on Character and Fitness for review.

You will be interviewed by a member of the Committee in the Court's offices in Room 109 of the Alfred E. Smith Office Building ("AESOB") at 80 South Swan Street in Albany, New York. Your interview is scheduled for [A DATE]. You are requested to report at 9:00 AM on that date to the admissions office personnel who will be stationed at Room 109. Directions are attached.

If your application for admission is approved by the Committee member after your interview, you are scheduled to take the mandatory attorney's oath in a brief ceremony during the morning of [A DATE] in the Courtroom of the Appellate Division, Third Department, located on the fifth floor of the Robert Abrams Building for Law and Justice in the Empire State Plaza in Albany. The Abrams Building is about a one block walk down State Street from the AESOB. Please note that all visitors to the Appellate Division Courtroom, including applicants for admission and their guests, are required to pass through security.

Guests are welcome to attend the brief oath ceremony in the Courtroom. However, please note that, as a courtesy, a live stream of the oath ceremony can be accessed by simply clicking on the icon (labeled Court Session Webcast) found on the home page of the Court's website, located at http://www.nycourts.gov/ad3/.

You will be furnished a certificate of your admission and good standing as an attorney and counselor-at-law after your interview.
No ticket is necessary for guests but the room is small (at least in Albany). As for email --> date, mine was about 3.5 months.

anonlaw24

New

Post by anonlaw24 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:19 pm

anonlaw24 wrote:How does it work once you've submitted your stuff? Can anyone attest to how they were informed of character and fitness interviews (email, snail mail, etc.) and how far away the interviews are from time of notice?

Also - does anyone know how many tickets we get to the swearing in ceremony??

Thanks for the response - but suppose I should specify tix for the first department.

Damage Over Time

Silver

Post by Damage Over Time » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:44 pm

runthetrap1990 wrote:
Scholarstika wrote:Does gathering affidavits from everywhere always take forever like this, really? Or is it just me? I thought it was a simple process, just sending out the forms and get them signed and sent back to me- I've done it for my friends before too. And when I need it, they choose to procrastinate until the last minute and I'm waiting for it for four weeks. I know I can't complain as they are doing me a favor, not a duty, but sometimes it is just frustrating. I just wish I can get sworn in this year.
My application has been held up by one employer affidavit. it's really frustrating. I've been otherwise ready to go for 4 weeks as well :(
I was in a similar spot: employer wanted to exert as little effort as possible and procrastinated for 4-5 weeks before I emailed him something along the lines of "please do this bro, it is really important to me." This entire process sucks, I hope you're able to get your stuff sorted soon.

thelawyer1908

New

Post by thelawyer1908 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:02 pm

OutoftheWoods wrote:So I'm in no rush to get admitted because I'm working in Cali for the next two years; I wanted to have the option to get into NY/other UBEs once I passed NY. I'm def not rushing to get my stuff in for January swearing in. After that point, do we get to choose when we get sworn in or do they just sign us a random date? i'd love to pick the best date possible in august...so have no idea when I should send stuff in to get that date.
This is my question too. i'd love a date in July.

TEIAM

Bronze

Post by TEIAM » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:20 pm

thelawyer1908 wrote:
OutoftheWoods wrote:So I'm in no rush to get admitted because I'm working in Cali for the next two years; I wanted to have the option to get into NY/other UBEs once I passed NY. I'm def not rushing to get my stuff in for January swearing in. After that point, do we get to choose when we get sworn in or do they just sign us a random date? i'd love to pick the best date possible in august...so have no idea when I should send stuff in to get that date.
This is my question too. i'd love a date in July.
In the Third Department it is a random date. I've said this before: get your things in as soon as possible. I submitted my materials in late January/early February and was given a September date. If you're given a date that doesn't work, you can email (must be email) and request a different date. They moved mine but I can't promise they'd accommodate a specific date.

Here's a calendar of all the dates they conduct the ceremony: https://www.nycourts.gov/ad3/2018_Schedule_of_Terms.pdf

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

runthetrap1990

Bronze

Post by runthetrap1990 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:13 pm

Submitted my App today (finally!). Here's to the next wait.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:17 pm

anyone from 3rd department have insight into turnaround from automated email noting receipt of application to interview/swearing in date?

de minimis

New

Post by de minimis » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:53 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:anyone from 3rd department have insight into turnaround from automated email noting receipt of application to interview/swearing in date?
Week and a half

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:12 am

de minimis wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:anyone from 3rd department have insight into turnaround from automated email noting receipt of application to interview/swearing in date?
Week and a half
Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

anonlaw24

New

Post by anonlaw24 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:08 pm

1st department - anyone receive a letter in the mail with a tentative date saying you'll get a follow up email? Curious if anyone has gotten the follow up email yet! (Or if anyone knows in 1D how long between letter - email.)

Carly

New

Post by Carly » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:11 pm

anonlaw24 wrote:1st department - anyone receive a letter in the mail with a tentative date saying you'll get a follow up email? Curious if anyone has gotten the follow up email yet! (Or if anyone knows in 1D how long between letter - email.)
this has probably been asked 54 times so i apologize but- how long after submit did you get the letter? Or did you get an email first? I'm so confused on the post-submit process cause every department is different.

helpappreciated

New

Post by helpappreciated » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:05 pm

So I'm 3rd Dept, but I sent in my application a week after results were released, got the email notification that my packet was received on Nov. 4, and got the email saying my application was complete and the swearing in date on Nov. 6.

Carly

New

Post by Carly » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:41 pm

helpappreciated wrote:So I'm 3rd Dept, but I sent in my application a week after results were released, got the email notification that my packet was received on Nov. 4, and got the email saying my application was complete and the swearing in date on Nov. 6.

holy moly that was fast- makes me wish I would have never changed my address to first department lol

anyone know the general timeline for first department?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:52 pm

I'm 1st Department. I sent in my paperwork a week after passing, it was received a few days after, and then a week later I received a letter with my tentative interview and swearing-in date. I still haven't received an email asking for more information about my application so I think everything is fine for now. The interview/ceremony aren't until mid-January so I may not hear the time and location for a while.

Carly

New

Post by Carly » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:02 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:I'm 1st Department. I sent in my paperwork a week after passing, it was received a few days after, and then a week later I received a letter with my tentative interview and swearing-in date. I still haven't received an email asking for more information about my application so I think everything is fine for now. The interview/ceremony aren't until mid-January so I may not hear the time and location for a while.

thanks! wow that's still faster than expected. I walked my application in on 11/28 and am hoping my law school got out their certificate timely. Hoping for February cause I doubt I made it in in time for a January interview/swear in.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:03 pm

how the hell are there 2d department folks who are already licensed...

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:07 pm

Carly wrote:
Slytherpuff wrote:I'm 1st Department. I sent in my paperwork a week after passing, it was received a few days after, and then a week later I received a letter with my tentative interview and swearing-in date. I still haven't received an email asking for more information about my application so I think everything is fine for now. The interview/ceremony aren't until mid-January so I may not hear the time and location for a while.

thanks! wow that's still faster than expected. I walked my application in on 11/28 and am hoping my law school got out their certificate timely. Hoping for February cause I doubt I made it in in time for a January interview/swear in.
The volume of applications they're receiving is probably a LOT higher right now so don't be surprised if it takes them a while to mail you a letter with your tentative dates.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

malleus discentium

Silver

Post by malleus discentium » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:05 pm

anonlaw24 wrote:1st department - anyone receive a letter in the mail with a tentative date saying you'll get a follow up email? Curious if anyone has gotten the follow up email yet! (Or if anyone knows in 1D how long between letter - email.)
I called and was told six weeks before the interview or swearing in date (don't remember exactly but for January at least it doesn't really matter) they will review your app and let you know if there's anything else they need. So presumably around then.

de minimis

New

Post by de minimis » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:23 pm

helpappreciated wrote:So I'm 3rd Dept, but I sent in my application a week after results were released, got the email notification that my packet was received on Nov. 4, and got the email saying my application was complete and the swearing in date on Nov. 6.
You took the July exam and got sworn in already? I thought Jan 18 was the first possible swearing in date.

ETA: nm, misread your post.

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:20 am

de minimis wrote:
You took the July exam and got sworn in already? I thought Jan 18 was the first possible swearing in date.

One of my law school classmates took the July exam and got sworn in already, so it is possible.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:43 am

barrelofmonkeys wrote:
de minimis wrote:

One of my law school classmates took the July exam and got sworn in already, so it is possible.
only if ur 2d dept i think

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:51 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:
de minimis wrote:

only if ur 2d dept i think
Ah ha, I see. Yeah, I was reading "Jan 18 was the first possible swearing in date" as a general statement and not as specific to 3rd department!
Makes sense.

Also, I was contacted (2nd department) via e-mail about setting up a C&F interview.

Toubro

Bronze

Post by Toubro » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:02 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:
Carly wrote:

The volume of applications they're receiving is probably a LOT higher right now so don't be surprised if it takes them a while to mail you a letter with your tentative dates.
To add to this timeline, you'll also get a form to pay the Attorney Registration Fees ($375). Once that's paid, you'll get a notice of payment which I presume is either copied to the C&F committee or is something you'd have to bring to the interview.

runthetrap1990

Bronze

Post by runthetrap1990 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:30 pm

Toubro wrote:
Slytherpuff wrote:
Carly wrote:

To add to this timeline, you'll also get a form to pay the Attorney Registration Fees ($375). Once that's paid, you'll get a notice of payment which I presume is either copied to the C&F committee or is something you'd have to bring to the interview.
FWIW - i turned my forms in a week from last Wednesday via Fedex next day service and received my confirmation letter (w/ tentative interview and swear in dates) yesterday. So even with high volume seems like it is about a 10 day turnaround.

ETA - 1st Dep't

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:36 pm

I had to take the Dec. NYLE - results were released Dec. 22nd - anyone know how long 'till I get a certification e-mail from BOLE? I'm 2nd dept.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”