Which laptops have good keyboard for bar exma typing?

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
bluewin888

New

Which laptops have good keyboard for bar exma typing?

Postby bluewin888 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:03 am

Last time, i used a NEW Asus PC. It lags from the time typing to showing up the words on the screen. Maybe the software requires higher configuration.

Shall I use macbook air or macbook pro ,or 12‑inch MacBook ?

SFSpartan

Silver

Re: Which laptops have good keyboard for bar exma typing?

Postby SFSpartan » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:14 am

My Macbook pro worked great for the Bar. You may not want to buy the one with the touch bar though, as that may cause issues for you.

bluewin888

New

Postby bluewin888 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:21 am

13 or 15 inch screen will be good?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MacBook-P ... Swl8NVXz4d

SFSpartan wrote:My Macbook pro worked great for the Bar. You may not want to buy the one with the touch bar though, as that may cause issues for you.

SFSpartan

Silver

Postby SFSpartan » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:27 am

Either is fine. I think mine is a 13 inch. If you're also going to use this for general law school stuff, you'll also want to shell out for a 30" external monitor (don't buy the Apple one - it's overpriced)

ndbigdave

Bronze

Postby ndbigdave » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:42 am

The best advice I can give is two fold:

#1 - Macbooks with touchbar have been blocked in certain jurisdictions. This is worth knowing ahead of time.

#2 - Any machine you choose, i think you want to be familiar with it and use far before the bar so that you are comfortable typing and understand gestures and the trackpad. If you have been Mac forever I am not sure this is the time to switch (and vice versa).

I actually used a Surface Pro 3 for my first bar with type cover (Michigan July 2015) and had no issues. I used a Surface Book this time around (Illinois February 2017) and had no issues. Push comes to shove, I preferred the more "traditional" keyboard and the premium feel for the Surface Book, but they both worked flawlessly and were my "main computer" so I was intimately familiar with the computer and the keyboard.

Truly, any modern laptop from the last year (or brand new) will work well for you.

virgoyum

Bronze

Postby virgoyum » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:55 pm

bluewin888 wrote:Last time, i used a NEW Asus PC. It lags from the time typing to showing up the words on the screen. Maybe the software requires higher configuration.

Shall I use macbook air or macbook pro ,or 12‑inch MacBook ?

Since I transitioned from a MacBook to an iMac I used my work laptop the first time. It Is an HP elite book. I'm not too fond of press keys and like the lightness and responsiveness of Apple computers so I considered getting MacBook air but couldn't justify the cost since I have an iPad that I use with a blue tooth keyboard. Since I couldn't use my iPad, my only option was to use the work laptop I failed on again :( until I happened across a sick sale at best buy. I bought an 11.6 sized white Lenovo Ideapad brand new for $135. It is compact and has a similar key comfort to Apple. I also bought the Microsoft Arc bluetooth mouse cause I could bend and store it flat in my case. If you want the mouse I found it much cheaper on Amazon. I got it for $35 brand new. I recommend bringing a mouse. I used the track pad the first time and felt it slowed me down. You don't have to get anything fancy, I just feel a mouse is quicker if you have to go back and review your essays.

virgoyum

Bronze

Postby virgoyum » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:11 pm

If you're looking to buy a new laptop or upgrade, get the Macbook. Any one will do just know you will have to disable your touch bar before the exam. I am unsure if anyone experienced issues by doing so.

However, if you're just looking for a laptop for the exam/Light (convenient) usage thereafter and have a cloud account, I experienced no issues using exam soft on the 11.6 Lenovo I purchased. (Link: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-idea ... Id=5580020). With any computer that has limited memory, loading is slightly longer but it was negligible on this computer imo. The 11.6 screen is about 2-3 in. larger than an ipad Air 2 for comparison. Thus, if you ultimately decide on a macbook, a 13 incher will be fine.

happyhour1122

Silver

Postby happyhour1122 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:01 pm

HaHA this reminds me.
There was this guys in NY (Albany) who brought his own keyboard. It was a typical key board used for desktop computers. Oh my gosh...he typed like as if he wanted to break that keyboard into pieces. I sat 4 rows away from him, I felt bad for those people around him.

virgoyum

Bronze

Postby virgoyum » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:28 pm

happyhour1122 wrote:HaHA this reminds me.
There was this guys in NY (Albany) who brought his own keyboard. It was a typical key board used for desktop computers. Oh my gosh...he typed like as if he wanted to break that keyboard into pieces. I sat 4 rows away from him, I felt bad for those people around him.

Someone I went to school with took a bar in a state that didn't allow laptops. The option was write or typewriter. He bought a typewriter :lol:

happyhour1122

Silver

Postby happyhour1122 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:30 pm

virgoyum wrote:

Someone I went to school with took a bar in a state that didn't allow laptops. The option was write or typewriter. He bought a typewriter :lol:

Wow.... I would have done that too...

rcharter1978

Gold

Postby rcharter1978 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:34 pm

virgoyum wrote:

What the hell state was this? That's bananas

virgoyum

Bronze

Postby virgoyum » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:16 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:
virgoyum wrote:

What the hell state was this? That's bananas
DC bar

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?