2017 Results Thread - February Exam

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
blaze1306

Bronze

Re: 2017 Results Thread - February Exam

Postby blaze1306 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:50 pm

happyhour1122 wrote:
blaze1306 wrote:I'm sorry I hijacked the thread it should get back to Feb. results. I will post when scores come out.

looking forward to it. It would really help us all

Ok so I got my scores today and I don't think taking the bar again will do me any good. I actually did worse this time than I did in July.

July 2016:
Passing-260
My score-249
Written scaled -132.4
My MBE-117

February 2017:
Passing-260
My score- 243
My written -123.3
My MBE-119.6

I'm thinking of giving up.

InterAlia1961

Bronze

Postby InterAlia1961 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:30 pm

blaze1306 wrote:
happyhour1122 wrote:
blaze1306 wrote:I'm sorry I hijacked the thread it should get back to Feb. results. I will post when scores come out.

Ok so I got my scores today and I don't think taking the bar again will do me any good. I actually did worse this time than I did in July.

July 2016:
Passing-260
My score-249
Written scaled -132.4
My MBE-117

February 2017:
Passing-260
My score- 243
My written -123.3
My MBE-119.6

Of course you're thinking about giving up, but you're not going to, so don't entertain the idea too long. You'll practice your writing skills. You'll keep practicing multiple choice questions. You'll figure out a way to get to July. You can do this.

cococherriy

New

Postby cococherriy » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:32 pm

blaze1306 wrote:
happyhour1122 wrote:

July 2016:
Passing-260
My score-249
Written scaled -132.4
My MBE-117

February 2017:
Passing-260
My score- 243
My written -123.3
My MBE-119.6

No don't give up, you know what they say...Third time's a charm. You are so close you can do this!!

HappyLittleTrees

New

Postby HappyLittleTrees » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:12 pm

BarBri Practice exam: 98/200
Final MBE: 130
Final MPT/MEE: 139
Final score: 269, needed a 270

Failed the bar for the third time in ten years, so I get completely that feeling of wanting to give up, because every time I failed before, it took me between four- five years to get up the courage to do it again. You feel dumb, you feel ridiculous, you feel like you've wasted your time (& a considerable amount of money), & you feel like no one understands just how hard it is to take the exam, & then they dont understand what it feels like to fail it. And those feelings don't go away completely. They lessen with time, but they're always there, right under the surface (or in my case, coming right to the forefront when people hear you went to law school & you have to explain why you have a degree, but don't practice, & then they do the math on how long ago you graduated).

But I think what I've realized about what keeps me coming back to the bar exam (besides a very dramatic mother who swears she'll never be able to be happy until I pass), is that ultimately, I know I'm not finished with this chapter of my life until I've passed. I don't have to take the bar; I have a career that doesn't require it & a life that isn't going to change that much with it, unless I want it to. So the motivation, for me at least, to keep coming back has to be something besides finances, prestige, or because Mom doesn't have a good hobby outside of nagging.

If you think you can live happily without passing, you absolutely can. You can find a career that uses your legal mind, your work ethic, your creativity, etc., & you can be totally happy with your life. I've never felt like I have a "less than" life than the people I graduated with who have passed their bar. But what I do have is an unfinished chapter, & if you are the type of person that can't even go to sleep without unloading the dishwasher, I'm betting you can't leave the bar exam unfinished either.

Obviously, a three- time failure can't give tips on how to pass (other than to say, I did better on this exam than any other in the past because I finally remembered how it is I learn best & applied those techniques my program, so I will take that away from this failure). But I appreciate so much the advice & pick- me- ups everyone gives on this board (seriously, y'all are awesome), that I wanted to just tell the other non- passers: you don't have to pass the bar to live the life you want. But if you want it even a little, you aren't going to feel like you can move on until you do. So even if right now you feel like you never want to see a multiple choice question again, never want to write an essay, never want anything to do with law again because every time you think about it, it takes you back to the moment you opened that disappointing score report? I promise you, that feeling is going to lessen, & what grows in its place is a little spark that tells you that no, you're not done with this law thing yet.

And those of you that jump right back in after failing? That put in the back- to- back hard work, scrounging out the time (& money) to go hard at it after being disappointed in a way only a very few people can understand? You're way braver than I ever was, & you should be proud of yourself for keeping at it till it happened, however long it took, however many times in a row you had to sit for it. And for those of you for whom it hasn't happened yet? I'll see you in July; 2017 is going to be everyone's year.

blaze1306

Bronze

Postby blaze1306 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:56 pm

HappyLittleTrees wrote:BarBri Practice exam: 98/200

Failed the bar for the third time in ten years, so I get completely that feeling of wanting to give up, because every time I failed before, it took me between four- five years to get up the courage to do it again. You feel dumb, you feel ridiculous, you feel like you've wasted your time (& a considerable amount of money), & you feel like no one understands just how hard it is to take the exam, & then they dont understand what it feels like to fail it. And those feelings don't go away completely. They lessen with time, but they're always there, right under the surface (or in my case, coming right to the forefront when people hear you went to law school & you have to explain why you have a degree, but don't practice, & then they do the math on how long ago you graduated).

But I think what I've realized about what keeps me coming back to the bar exam (besides a very dramatic mother who swears she'll never be able to be happy until I pass), is that ultimately, I know I'm not finished with this chapter of my life until I've passed. I don't have to take the bar; I have a career that doesn't require it & a life that isn't going to change that much with it, unless I want it to. So the motivation, for me at least, to keep coming back has to be something besides finances, prestige, or because Mom doesn't have a good hobby outside of nagging.

If you think you can live happily without passing, you absolutely can. You can find a career that uses your legal mind, your work ethic, your creativity, etc., & you can be totally happy with your life. I've never felt like I have a "less than" life than the people I graduated with who have passed their bar. But what I do have is an unfinished chapter, & if you are the type of person that can't even go to sleep without unloading the dishwasher, I'm betting you can't leave the bar exam unfinished either.

Obviously, a three- time failure can't give tips on how to pass (other than to say, I did better on this exam than any other in the past because I finally remembered how it is I learn best & applied those techniques my program, so I will take that away from this failure). But I appreciate so much the advice & pick- me- ups everyone gives on this board (seriously, y'all are awesome), that I wanted to just tell the other non- passers: you don't have to pass the bar to live the life you want. But if you want it even a little, you aren't going to feel like you can move on until you do. So even if right now you feel like you never want to see a multiple choice question again, never want to write an essay, never want anything to do with law again because every time you think about it, it takes you back to the moment you opened that disappointing score report? I promise you, that feeling is going to lessen, & what grows in its place is a little spark that tells you that no, you're not done with this law thing yet.

And those of you that jump right back in after failing? That put in the back- to- back hard work, scrounging out the time (& money) to go hard at it after being disappointed in a way only a very few people can understand? You're way braver than I ever was, & you should be proud of yourself for keeping at it till it happened, however long it took, however many times in a row you had to sit for it. And for those of you for whom it hasn't happened yet? I'll see you in July; 2017 is going to be everyone's year.

Very inspirational. I have no room to complain since I haven't taken a bar review course besides Adaptibar for Feb 2017. My disappointment, embarrassment and anger at this stupid last hurdle to the finish line seems so daunting...so arbitrary. My frustration is at an all time high especially given some of the scores other have gotten on the same test. I know I'm not suppose to compare myself to others but. Assuming I can get myself motivated like you and actually go through it again, here's to July.

RodCortez23

New

Postby RodCortez23 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:35 pm

-
Last edited by RodCortez23 on Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deceptivelyblonde

New

Postby deceptivelyblonde » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:39 am

eatthebarforlunch wrote:
shaq23 wrote:
eatthebarforlunch wrote:Passed written 151.3 mbe 143.2 total 295

Do you mind sharing what your practice/simulation MBE score was?

Utah and Barbri averaging 60% on MBe before exam.

Can you tell me what day Utah came out? Was there any information about the average passing rate?
(And CONGRATULATIONS!)

rcharter1978

Gold

Postby rcharter1978 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:47 am

Wow, is there any way to have your MBE re-graded to see if you can get an extra point or something? I get that no one is going to give you more points on an essay (at least not in CA), but maybe your scorecard had an anomaly....i mean you only need one more point.

Lawyerinwaiting89

Bronze

Postby Lawyerinwaiting89 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:01 am

Congrats to everyone who has passed so far! Anyone have a sense of when to expect NJ results? I know they said mid-May, but that seems pretty late. I think NJ typically releases a couple weeks after PA (which came out the 7th) and sometime before NY (which is supposed to come out the end of April per the website). But since this is NJ's first UBE administration, who knows. Also, anyone else unable to properly log in to NJ's bar exam website? There seems to be a glitch and I can't see my user home page... I don't know when this started, but at least since the 7th. Haha half hoping this means results are coming soon!

Bimmerfan

New

Postby Bimmerfan » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:19 am

Great post, but realistically, 2017 isn't going to be everyone's year. There are plenty of careers JDs can go into without a license.

Disclaimer: i failed for the first time in Feb 2017 but haven't received my score report yet. If I study even harder for July and end up with a lowing score, I don't know how I'd be able to recover.

sdimo

New

Postby sdimo » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:34 am

Lawyerinwaiting89 wrote:Congrats to everyone who has passed so far! Anyone have a sense of when to expect NJ results? I know they said mid-May, but that seems pretty late. I think NJ typically releases a couple weeks after PA (which came out the 7th) and sometime before NY (which is supposed to come out the end of April per the website). But since this is NJ's first UBE administration, who knows. Also, anyone else unable to properly log in to NJ's bar exam website? There seems to be a glitch and I can't see my user home page... I don't know when this started, but at least since the 7th. Haha half hoping this means results are coming soon!

Just tried to logon for nj. My user page is glitchy, too. Last feb results released on may 5th, but that was before the ube.

happyhour1122

Silver

Postby happyhour1122 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:43 am

I'M SO F******* NERVOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HappyLittleTrees

New

Postby HappyLittleTrees » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:07 pm

blaze1306: its natural to compare, & this is the place to complain, because who understands better than the people here? I compare myself to the kids fresh out of school & try to convince myself that I have it tougher because I have to re- learn everything from years ago thats still fresh in their minds. But after three incarnations of the bar, I can say the fresh- takers aren't really in that better position than I am, test- wise. When they say the bar isn't like law school, thats totally true: the base material is, yes; how it comes at you, not even close. I know there's always going to be somebody who gets the combination of materal & test format down better me, but other than this board (& my mother), no one ever really asks "Just what was your bar score?" They only ever ask "Did you pass?" Its just like taking a driving test: you don't get a special gold- star, "your first speeding ticket is free" license because you parallel parked on the first try & only missed two on the written part. You get the same license with the same terrible picture as the person who missed five questions & ran up on the curb a few times before getting it right.

And send in your registration check. The times I found myself the least motivated for the bar or anything else I was ambivalent about, sending in a large chunk of nonrefundable money almost always helped get me motivated again. Good luck!

rcharter1978: no, I'm in a pretty strict "don't even talk to us about the bar once you step out the exam room door" district; you'd have to make a really compelling argument for regrading. And the truth is, I knew it would be close even as I left on Day Two. I think what got me was one of the MPTs: after reading other's comments, I think I didn't follow the directions closely enough & it cost me, although, selfishly, I don't think losing 15 extra MBE questions that could have been scored helped either. But whatever the reason, I needed a 270, & I got a 269. Thats not really a compelling reason for regrading; its on me that I didn't get the score I needed. But I appreciate the suggestion that the scorecard might have an anomaly, as opposed to the problem being the person who took the test ;)

Bimmerfan: realistically, no, maybe 2017 won't be everyone's year. But its only April; I like to wait until at least the horrible heat & humidity of August before I start thinking about chalking a year up to a wash & never leaving the house. But please don't borrow from trouble worrying you're not only going to fail again, but score lower. If that happens, you cross that bridge when it comes up. Until then, you treat April through whenever the next scores come out for what that time is: your time to pass. Good luck!

RavenAgain

New

Postby RavenAgain » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:31 pm

InterAlia1961 wrote:
blaze1306 wrote:
happyhour1122 wrote:

July 2016:
Passing-260
My score-249
Written scaled -132.4
My MBE-117

February 2017:
Passing-260
My score- 243
My written -123.3
My MBE-119.6

Of course you're thinking about giving up, but you're not going to, so don't entertain the idea too long. You'll practice your writing skills. You'll keep practicing multiple choice questions. You'll figure out a way to get to July. You can do this.

Abso-fxxing-lutely!

maxmartin

Silver

Postby maxmartin » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:29 pm

sdimo wrote:
Lawyerinwaiting89 wrote:Congrats to everyone who has passed so far! Anyone have a sense of when to expect NJ results? I know they said mid-May, but that seems pretty late. I think NJ typically releases a couple weeks after PA (which came out the 7th) and sometime before NY (which is supposed to come out the end of April per the website). But since this is NJ's first UBE administration, who knows. Also, anyone else unable to properly log in to NJ's bar exam website? There seems to be a glitch and I can't see my user home page... I don't know when this started, but at least since the 7th. Haha half hoping this means results are coming soon!

Just tried to logon for nj. My user page is glitchy, too. Last feb results released on may 5th, but that was before the ube.

WA website also has problems. And they changed the swearing ceremony schedule for several times now. :shock:

JDNE

New

Postby JDNE » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:36 pm

virgoyum wrote:You're so kind. Thank you so much for the words. I'm actually overwhelmed by the amount of support. I know I can do this I just have to approach mastering this sort of the way I did in law school, not the way a program is designed.

Per waiting on results, you know we're here to cheer you on good or bad I'm just inclined to believe GOOD! I'll be here with the congratulations :)!

Aw, shucks, thank you. I guess my parents raised me right, even though one of them was a lawyer, hahaha.

Are you studying from model essay answers and explanations to the multiple choice questions? That's the place I would focus if I were you. That's where I focused and I left there feeling somewhat confident because I felt like they did not throw anything at me that I had not already seen (and understood and memorized) before. Of course, I still don't know if I passed or failed, so take that advice with a grain of salt. I won't know for another ten days. I'll check back with you. If I flunked that Bar I'll just do it again. But I know if I have to do it again, the only thing I'd do is memorize more of the law that I learned in the Kaplan PMBR and Barbri explanations and model answers. We're trying to move up to Boston so I hope I passed. We're moving either way so I will just commit to re-taking it, if necessary. NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER GIVE IN. WE GOT THIS. One way or another, we got this.
Last edited by JDNE on Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

squiggle

Bronze

Postby squiggle » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:04 pm

When I took both NJ & NY, NY actually came out before NJ. But that was before either was UBE, so who knows anymore. The wait is almost as painful as the studying and exam.

Lawyerinwaiting89

Bronze

Postby Lawyerinwaiting89 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:57 pm

squiggle wrote:

When I took both NJ & NY, NY actually came out before NJ. But that was before either was UBE, so who knows anymore. The wait is almost as painful as the studying and exam.

Oh hmm darn haha. I was just going off of July 2016 where NJ released in mid October and NY released a couple weeks later. But NJ wasn't UBE at that point. It's definitely daunting to have to wait!

rcharter1978

Gold

Postby rcharter1978 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:35 am

HappyLittleTrees wrote:
rcharter1978: no, I'm in a pretty strict "don't even talk to us about the bar once you step out the exam room door" district; you'd have to make a really compelling argument for regrading. And the truth is, I knew it would be close even as I left on Day Two. I think what got me was one of the MPTs: after reading other's comments, I think I didn't follow the directions closely enough & it cost me, although, selfishly, I don't think losing 15 extra MBE questions that could have been scored helped either. But whatever the reason, I needed a 270, & I got a 269. Thats not really a compelling reason for regrading; its on me that I didn't get the score I needed. But I appreciate the suggestion that the scorecard might have an anomaly, as opposed to the problem being the person who took the test ;)

I'm all about personality responsibility, so I get it. When I failed the first time, I felt the way you did (although I didn't think it would be close, I knew I failed)

I'm not sure what JX you're in (I haven't read the rest of the post) but I'm surprised they don't have any sort of appeals process whereby you could get you scorecard hand graded or rechecked. I'm in CA, and while you can't get your essays regraded, I believe you can have your MBE scantron regraded to look for errors (which can be due to the machine and not to your error).

You're just so close....even if you had to pay I would do it.

But either way you'll blow through next time for sure.

happyhour1122

Silver

Postby happyhour1122 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:21 am

rcharter1978 wrote:
HappyLittleTrees wrote:

I'm all about personality responsibility, so I get it. When I failed the first time, I felt the way you did (although I didn't think it would be close, I knew I failed)

I'm not sure what JX you're in (I haven't read the rest of the post) but I'm surprised they don't have any sort of appeals process whereby you could get you scorecard hand graded or rechecked. I'm in CA, and while you can't get your essays regraded, I believe you can have your MBE scantron regraded to look for errors (which can be due to the machine and not to your error).

You're just so close....even if you had to pay I would do it.

But either way you'll blow through next time for sure.

If you are in a ube state, waive into NY or other jurisdiction that would pass your score.

PersistentAttorney

Bronze

Postby PersistentAttorney » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:01 am

RavenAgain wrote:
PersistentAttorney wrote:
RavenAgain wrote:
virgoyum wrote:Hey guys don't want to leave the thread hanging just because I didn't get the news I wanted. Still pushing for those waiting on those results.

Good or bad you will feel the weight start to lift once you find out.

Second-time taker here. Waiting on NY. Failed by 9 scaled points on July. I am a foreign taker (also foreign trained) so, as you probably understand, I kinda betting against the odds here. All in all, my point is that I get you. I get how you must be feeling now.

My circumstances weren't easy when preparing both times. My father was diagnosed with cancer again a year ago after 5 years in remission. It was right before I started studying for July. When my results came out on late October, I didn't get the luxury of grief because I had to wear a smile to cheer him up while he underwent therapy and was hospitalized for about a month during Oct-Nov.

I was about to start preparing for the Feb exam when in early December when my father caught a nasty bug that kept him in intensive care for additional two months and in rehab for another month. Acute pneumonia that sent him into a septic shock and multi-organ failure. Doctors in the unit said there's no chance of him making it as he was in assisted respiration for too long... Well, both my father and I thought otherwise. I coordinated all the doctors I knew from his medical history and managed to bring him back. Today, my mother is having a hard time keeping him in the house...

So I thought that all these hardships meant something = I had to make it. My whole family tried to convince me to either quit or postpone my NY admission efforts and shift my focus on my home country. "You're father is not well", "circumstances are not ideal" (as if they ever are...), "competition is very high". They even told me not to take the exam for a third time if I failed this one - not after the exam but just a couple of days before. Only one person in my family believed in me: Me.

"The odds for a foreign retaker is ~15%": I couldn't care less. "More debt for the trip and application fees": Who gives a f**k?

I watched this video every day I felt my reality was catching up with my determination:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41Zjh3AirjU

It really helped. "Those who say they can't and those who say they can are usually both right..."
Although I don't yet know whether I passed, I feel optimistic. Repeated the Kaplan Prep Course I purchased in my first attempt as it was for free and trusted the system. Studied harder and more determined. Left the exam feeling more confident than the first time. In July I was thinking "it's OK to fail, considering the circumstances..."

This time failure wasn't an option. But even if I do fail, I will try again. And again, and again...
The only thing I have to say to bar exam takers: You owe this success to no one else but yourself. It is for you. No one is going to feel like you will, whether you pass or fail. It is a lonely and uphill path; and you'll either fail and tumble down alone or make it to the top and enjoy the view alone.
The only certain way to failure is quitting. No matter how many times it takes for you to pass, you never really failed unless you quit. Remember that.

I agree. Failing is like falling down but you get up and run again. I wish you the best!

I am a fifth time taker. It is tough to make a choice when times are not easy during the bar exam.

Quitting was not an option for me too. I went and took the bar exam just after my mother was diagnosed with cancer, planning to be with her afterwards, as the prognosis was hopeful. My mother sent me an encouraging text message on the first bar exam test day. She died a few days later.

I failed. I wanted to go back in time and felt guilty for having taken the exam. You can not change the past. So I decided to take the exam until I pass.

In Feb 2017 I prepared to re-sit the bar exam when my father-in-law suddenly died just days before the exam itself. To take the test worrying or grieving a loved one is not easy. Still my husband encouraged me to fly to CA and take the exam.

I am a foreign attorney and not an English native speaker. So the odds are also very much against me, particularly so as the 15% foreigner's pass rate includes people who are English native speakers.

Despite all I left the exam this time feeling for the first time encouraged as I completed both MPTs and did not miss any of the big major issues. However classically with each day my confidence gets weaker as I have no idea about the MBEs and doubts about my essays.

6 more weeks until results are out ... And so little to divert my attention from 12 May...

I feel exactly the same way as we move towards the results. Although I left the exam feeling that everything went OK, the more we move towards the release dates the more insecure I feel. But this is just and illusion. Your performance those two days has nothing to do with how you feel now, as this negativity stems from the desire to pass which in turn causes anxiety. The more you want it, the more likely is to stress you.

Regarding your guilt, don't feel this way. I was in the same dilemma this February as my father was hospitalized in my home town and my work is 500 miles away. I had to leave him behind and continue both working and preparing for the bar exam. I said my "goodbyes" and really thought I would never see him again. Felt guilty as hell, but life goes on. And both your mother and my father would never want to see us stop pursuing our dreams because of their misfortunes.

I know CA is difficult. One very close friend of mine, native speaker and excellent student, sat the exam this February for the 3rd time. The second time he failed by so little we couldn't believe it. Be patient and keep working on your skills every day relentlessly. You need to obsess over the exam and your preparation. Everything else MUST wait, otherwise you will carry this as a burden your whole life.

Finally, think of this: Most people in your position would have quit already. Not only you didn't, but you have decided to go the full distance until you reach your goal. This means that you want it more than anyone else out there. Now, imagine what kind of a badass attorney this determination will make. He who wants it the most is the most likely to get it, and by "it" I mean success, no matter how you define it.

I wish you the very best of luck in your results this May. Fingers crossed!

PersistentAttorney - very grateful for your words. Fingers crossed for end of April for you!
I will try to get a job in NY if I should pass. The green card lottery is in May too, maybe my name is being picked.

I applied for the lottery too. Let's see! One step at a time.

amtornberg

New

Postby amtornberg » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:39 am

Florida results are up - passed Florida and the MBE!

happyhour1122

Silver

Postby happyhour1122 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:47 am

RavenAgain wrote:
RavenAgain wrote:
virgoyum wrote:Hey guys don't want to leave the thread hanging just because I didn't get the news I wanted. Still pushing for those waiting on those results.

Good or bad you will feel the weight start to lift once you find out.

Second-time taker here. Waiting on NY. Failed by 9 scaled points on July. I am a foreign taker (also foreign trained) so, as you probably understand, I kinda betting against the odds here. All in all, my point is that I get you. I get how you must be feeling now.

My circumstances weren't easy when preparing both times. My father was diagnosed with cancer again a year ago after 5 years in remission. It was right before I started studying for July. When my results came out on late October, I didn't get the luxury of grief because I had to wear a smile to cheer him up while he underwent therapy and was hospitalized for about a month during Oct-Nov.

I was about to start preparing for the Feb exam when in early December when my father caught a nasty bug that kept him in intensive care for additional two months and in rehab for another month. Acute pneumonia that sent him into a septic shock and multi-organ failure. Doctors in the unit said there's no chance of him making it as he was in assisted respiration for too long... Well, both my father and I thought otherwise. I coordinated all the doctors I knew from his medical history and managed to bring him back. Today, my mother is having a hard time keeping him in the house...

So I thought that all these hardships meant something = I had to make it. My whole family tried to convince me to either quit or postpone my NY admission efforts and shift my focus on my home country. "You're father is not well", "circumstances are not ideal" (as if they ever are...), "competition is very high". They even told me not to take the exam for a third time if I failed this one - not after the exam but just a couple of days before. Only one person in my family believed in me: Me.

"The odds for a foreign retaker is ~15%": I couldn't care less. "More debt for the trip and application fees": Who gives a f**k?

I watched this video every day I felt my reality was catching up with my determination:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41Zjh3AirjU

It really helped. "Those who say they can't and those who say they can are usually both right..."
Although I don't yet know whether I passed, I feel optimistic. Repeated the Kaplan Prep Course I purchased in my first attempt as it was for free and trusted the system. Studied harder and more determined. Left the exam feeling more confident than the first time. In July I was thinking "it's OK to fail, considering the circumstances..."

This time failure wasn't an option. But even if I do fail, I will try again. And again, and again...
The only thing I have to say to bar exam takers: You owe this success to no one else but yourself. It is for you. No one is going to feel like you will, whether you pass or fail. It is a lonely and uphill path; and you'll either fail and tumble down alone or make it to the top and enjoy the view alone.
The only certain way to failure is quitting. No matter how many times it takes for you to pass, you never really failed unless you quit. Remember that.

I agree. Failing is like falling down but you get up and run again. I wish you the best!

I am a fifth time taker. It is tough to make a choice when times are not easy during the bar exam.

Quitting was not an option for me too. I went and took the bar exam just after my mother was diagnosed with cancer, planning to be with her afterwards, as the prognosis was hopeful. My mother sent me an encouraging text message on the first bar exam test day. She died a few days later.

I failed. I wanted to go back in time and felt guilty for having taken the exam. You can not change the past. So I decided to take the exam until I pass.

In Feb 2017 I prepared to re-sit the bar exam when my father-in-law suddenly died just days before the exam itself. To take the test worrying or grieving a loved one is not easy. Still my husband encouraged me to fly to CA and take the exam.

I am a foreign attorney and not an English native speaker. So the odds are also very much against me, particularly so as the 15% foreigner's pass rate includes people who are English native speakers.

Despite all I left the exam this time feeling for the first time encouraged as I completed both MPTs and did not miss any of the big major issues. However classically with each day my confidence gets weaker as I have no idea about the MBEs and doubts about my essays.

6 more weeks until results are out ... And so little to divert my attention from 12 May...

I feel exactly the same way as we move towards the results. Although I left the exam feeling that everything went OK, the more we move towards the release dates the more insecure I feel. But this is just and illusion. Your performance those two days has nothing to do with how you feel now, as this negativity stems from the desire to pass which in turn causes anxiety. The more you want it, the more likely is to stress you.

Regarding your guilt, don't feel this way. I was in the same dilemma this February as my father was hospitalized in my home town and my work is 500 miles away. I had to leave him behind and continue both working and preparing for the bar exam. I said my "goodbyes" and really thought I would never see him again. Felt guilty as hell, but life goes on. And both your mother and my father would never want to see us stop pursuing our dreams because of their misfortunes.

I know CA is difficult. One very close friend of mine, native speaker and excellent student, sat the exam this February for the 3rd time. The second time he failed by so little we couldn't believe it. Be patient and keep working on your skills every day relentlessly. You need to obsess over the exam and your preparation. Everything else MUST wait, otherwise you will carry this as a burden your whole life.

Finally, think of this: Most people in your position would have quit already. Not only you didn't, but you have decided to go the full distance until you reach your goal. This means that you want it more than anyone else out there. Now, imagine what kind of a badass attorney this determination will make. He who wants it the most is the most likely to get it, and by "it" I mean success, no matter how you define it.

I wish you the very best of luck in your results this May. Fingers crossed!

PersistentAttorney - very grateful for your words. Fingers crossed for end of April for you!
I will try to get a job in NY if I should pass. The green card lottery is in May too, maybe my name is being picked.

I applied for the lottery too. Let's see! One step at a time.

what happens if you are not selected for the lottery? :shock:

lolabear727

Bronze

Postby lolabear727 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:18 pm

amtornberg wrote:Florida results are up - passed Florida and the MBE!

Congratulations!! Welcome! I'm barred in FL, waiting on NY results this go round.

Do you mind sharing your MBE scores. Midterm and final scaled?

amtornberg

New

Postby amtornberg » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:26 pm

lolabear727 wrote:
amtornberg wrote:Florida results are up - passed Florida and the MBE!

Congratulations!! Welcome! I'm barred in FL, waiting on NY results this go round.

Do you mind sharing your MBE scores. Midterm and final scaled?

I haven't gotten my exact scores yet. Only the "pass" from the FL Supreme Court. For what its worth, I took (and passed) NY in 2013 and found FL to be much more challenging.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?