2017 Results Thread - February Exam

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
blaze1306

Bronze

Re: 2017 Results Thread - February Exam

Postby blaze1306 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:11 pm

jdaustin32 wrote:Waiting for New Mexico exam results after taking Texas... just need to know...

Me too. New Mexico just PUNKED me. They just sent out an email...unfortunately it was just a reminder to update essential information in your application and to stop calling the office to see when results will be out!!!

That was not cool...I just knew it was a notification email that results were out.
:evil:

ndbigdave

Bronze

Postby ndbigdave » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:24 pm

thewait17 wrote:Yeah, have to agree. I was so worried about the MBE that I spent nearly no time on the essays for 3/4 of my bar prep. So, I freaked out about 1-2 weeks out from the exam and started cramming for essays. I completely regret doing this and really wish I would have just kept going with the MBE practice. I was scoring 60-65% on practice MBEs, but did a bit lower on the simulated (114/200). I'm just hoping I actually did enough to boost me to that 266.

Speaking strictly from the numbers I have seen here, from personal experience and other anecdotal evidence, if you scored 114 on the simulated MBE (a 57% for those scoring at home) and you were generally scoring 60-65% in practice I would have every reason to believe that you scored somewhere near 60% on the actual test (it also appears many - not all - out perform their BarBri simulated MBE as well, often times by a considerable amount).

What is also worth noting is that you can have unequal parts of your test. For instance, if you score 136 on the essays you can score 130 on the MBE (or vice-versa) the goal is to score a scaled score of 266 (for IL) I know it is relatively similar in many other jurisdictions.

For me, because I had level to go off of, that is how I gamed my studying. In Michigan they provide you with your scaled scores for both essay and MBE (essays they even did raw score by essay which was nice). As I knew the Michigan essays were nothing similar to Illinois I basically threw that score out (other than it was reinforcement that I know how to write a bar exam essay) so I started with my 141 scaled MBE score - far from "great" but comfortably within "passing." I felt that I could replicate that score without having to do anything crazy as I put in very limited effort the first time so the goal was really to "maintain or improve" my 141 knowing that if I could do so my essays would need to reach the threshold of the 20th percentile (or lower) and still pass. My limited time was spent listening to MBE lectures and doing BarMax questions, I definitely did more questions this second time and got through the lectures faster the second time (allowing me to listen to certain lectures and 2nd and 3rd time). The first time I did questions (about 200 of them...yeah I know not nearly enough) I did them in groups of 30 hoping to score 66% (20/30) I usually scored between 50s% to into the 60s% and ultimately got my 141 scaled. This time around I did far more questions and was routinely scoring in the 60s and into the 70s while hitting 80% on a set about a week before the bar. I think this focus on MBE, more time with questions, more review of questions/answers definitely helped and I have every reason to believe that I stayed very close to 141 (I even remind myself that my MBE could DROP and I still would be "banking points" for a potential bad essay section). I honestly felt fine with the essays, I doubt any perfect scores, but outside of the one corporation question I felt like I knew a general rule and could write a logical and structured answer, the MPT was right in my wheel house for writing so in many respects I feel very confident...but you just dont KNOW until you KNOW.

HiOCEAN

New

Postby HiOCEAN » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:21 pm

maxmartin wrote:
happyhour1122 wrote:
maxmartin wrote:This is the first time 25 experimental question are in play. NCBE may not accurately scale the MBE score for the first time. Let's see the pass rate for any UBE jurisdictions.

That would be so bad. These people better do a damn good job in applying the correct formula and not make mistakes like Georgia did.

It could be that NC has a very difficult written session. That is why I am waiting to see the pass rate from any UBE jurisdiction. If there is also significant drop, most likely it is cause by the drop of MBE score.

NC does have a difficult written section that counts for 60%. So there's that ...

HiOCEAN

New

Postby HiOCEAN » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:33 pm

Also, happy to see that Iowa has high pass percentages, compared to yesterday's North Carolina nightmare. I feel we have hope :)

maxmartin

Silver

Postby maxmartin » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:39 pm

HiOCEAN wrote:Also, happy to see that Iowa has high pass percentages, compared to yesterday's North Carolina nightmare. I feel we have hope :)

Yeah, I agree. :mrgreen:

virgoyum

Bronze

Postby virgoyum » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:46 pm

Anyone planning on treating themselves to something nice/splurging if they get some good news? I might splurge on a ridiculously priced designer purse or get a pair of Louboutins I've been eyeing.

What are your plans for rewarding yourself?

Anoni-mous

New

Postby Anoni-mous » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:49 pm

virgoyum wrote:Anyone planning on treating themselves to something nice/splurging if they get some good news? I might splurge on a ridiculously priced designer purse or get a pair of Louboutins I've been eyeing.

Hellcat

LMMadison

New

Postby LMMadison » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:53 pm

virgoyum wrote:rewarding yourself?

I'll be more than happy with a free weekend without crippling results-anxiety.

ndbigdave

Bronze

Postby ndbigdave » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:55 pm

virgoyum wrote:Anyone planning on treating themselves to something nice/splurging if they get some good news? I might splurge on a ridiculously priced designer purse or get a pair of Louboutins I've been eyeing.

Plans for right now with the GF are to pop a bottle of Dom - she has added that she just wants to get wasted afterwards. Nothing specific in mind for myself, Ill be thrilled to pass but the next move is to find a permanent job here in Chicago. After getting a new gig my gift to myself is a new 4k TV and later this year the new "Project Scorpion" Xbox from Microsoft (yes I am a kid at heart).

but for everyone, definitely treat yourself - because many of us have friends in law we have an odd view of just how rare it is to be admitted to law school, graduate then actually pass the bar and get admitted - its a huge accomplishment - youve earned it!

happyhour1122

Silver

Postby happyhour1122 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:55 pm

will start thinking about it from now.

happyhour1122

Silver

Postby happyhour1122 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:56 pm

for NY bar takers
we are going to be best friends here on april 25-27th until the score is released.

virgoyum

Bronze

Postby virgoyum » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:05 pm

IL testers, they've updated the scoring memo for the February Bar:

https://www.ilbaradmissions.org/july-2016-scoring-memo

It says July in the links but it is dated for TOMORROW March 31st.

happyhour1122

Silver

Postby happyhour1122 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:06 pm

virgoyum wrote:IL testers, they've updated the scoring memo for the February Bar:

https://www.ilbaradmissions.org/july-2016-scoring-memo

It says July in the links but it is dated for TOMORROW March 31st.

omg i'm so nervous for you guys

virgoyum

Bronze

Postby virgoyum » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:12 pm

Illinois takers, here is the link to the percentile breakdown: https://www.ilbaradmissions.org/feb-201 ... ent-charts

I replaced the score report from last year with 2017 and removed 2016. Historically it is released the day before but I don't know if they updated IBAB yet.

I don't know if this is good for us or just bad overrall but the MBE score went down. Highest scaled is 165.

anandamide

New

Postby anandamide » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:13 pm

I took BarBri....and early on I was feeling overwhelmed and misdirected. I had also signed up for the PMBR online, and that was a little help, but not enough. I finally caved and hired a private tutor for the last 6 weeks of studying. That was the best money that I have ever spent, I hope! :lol:

umichman

Bronze

Postby umichman » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:15 pm

virgoyum wrote:Illinois takers, here is the link to the percentile breakdown: https://www.ilbaradmissions.org/feb-201 ... ent-charts

I replaced the score report from last year with 2017 and removed 2016. Historically it is released the day before but I don't know if they updated IBAB yet.

I don't know if this is good for us or just bad overrall but the MBE score went down. Highest scaled is 165.

Does that mean that there was aroudn a 55 percent pass rate?

maxmartin

Silver

Postby maxmartin » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:16 pm

virgoyum wrote:Illinois takers, here is the link to the percentile breakdown: https://www.ilbaradmissions.org/feb-201 ... ent-charts

25 questions f***** us. Thank you NCBE. Feb test takers are experimental mice for July takers.

nuri

New

Postby nuri » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:17 pm

I wish themis told us how many people that completed their 65% above actually failed!

virgoyum

Bronze

Postby virgoyum » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:19 pm

umichman wrote:

Yeah thereabouts...

anandamide

New

Postby anandamide » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:19 pm

i like your style. maybe a new car.

nuri

New

Postby nuri » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:20 pm

Did the essay scores increase since july?

Do you have a copy of the july scores?

nuri

New

Postby nuri » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:21 pm

WOW! only 55%? GREAT, I can wait for my results now

virgoyum wrote:
umichman wrote:

Yeah thereabouts...

happyhour1122

Silver

Postby happyhour1122 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:23 pm

55% passage rate???????? holly ..

PrayingToTheBarGods

New

Postby PrayingToTheBarGods » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:25 pm

nuri wrote:WOW! only 55%? GREAT, I can wait for my results now

virgoyum wrote:
umichman wrote:

Yeah thereabouts...

55%?!!??!!! F that!!!!! My ass failed then!!! :(

happyhour1122

Silver

Postby happyhour1122 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:27 pm

PrayingToTheBarGods wrote:
nuri wrote:WOW! only 55%? GREAT, I can wait for my results now

virgoyum wrote:
umichman wrote:

Yeah thereabouts...

55%?!!??!!! F that!!!!! My ass failed then!!! :(

NY was less. Its ok. Lets calm down.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?