virgoyum

Bronze

Re: 2017 Results Thread - February Exam

Postby virgoyum » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:12 pm

maxmartin

Silver

Postby maxmartin » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:16 pm

This is the first time 25 experimental question are in play. NCBE may not accurately scale the MBE score for the first time. Let's see the pass rate for any UBE jurisdictions.

happyhour1122

Silver

Postby happyhour1122 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:18 pm

maxmartin wrote:This is the first time 25 experimental question are in play. NCBE may not accurately scale the MBE score for the first time. Let's see the pass rate for any UBE jurisdictions.

That would be so bad. These people better do a damn good job in applying the correct formula and not make mistakes like Georgia did.

umichman

Bronze

Postby umichman » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:19 pm

maxmartin wrote:This is the first time 25 experimental question are in play. NCBE may not accurately scale the MBE score for the first time. Let's see the pass rate for any UBE jurisdictions.

Do non ube states that administer the mbe scale the same way

happyhour1122

Silver

Postby happyhour1122 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:23 pm

Ok.
Lets think good.
What would be the first thing you will do once you pass the bar?

maxmartin

Silver

Postby maxmartin » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:24 pm

happyhour1122 wrote:

That would be so bad. These people better do a damn good job in applying the correct formula and not make mistakes like Georgia did.

It could be that NC has a very difficult written session. That is why I am waiting to see the pass rate from any UBE jurisdiction. If there is also significant drop, most likely it is cause by the drop of MBE score.

virgoyum

Bronze

Postby virgoyum » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:24 pm

happyhour1122 wrote:Ok.
Lets think good.

Get drunk.

maxmartin

Silver

Postby maxmartin » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:27 pm

umichman wrote:

Do non ube states that administer the mbe scale the same way

Yep but written portion of UBE is more or less standardized. Plus from what I heard, this Feb administration had a relatively easy essay portion.

happyhour1122

Silver

Postby happyhour1122 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:28 pm

maxmartin wrote:
happyhour1122 wrote:

It could be that NC has a very difficult written session. That is why I am waiting to see the pass rate from any UBE jurisdiction. If there is also significant drop, most likely it is cause by the drop of MBE score.

I can't believe they took away additional 15 questions of opportunities away from me.

Chevron Deference

Bronze

Postby Chevron Deference » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:37 pm

happyhour1122 wrote:
maxmartin wrote:
happyhour1122 wrote:

I can't believe they took away additional 15 questions of opportunities away from me.

It still will be scaled similarly, we are being compared to past tests. If our test is harder we will still get a similar scaled score to previously administered tests. The problem overall is that alot Feb repeaters still have a fundamental flaw at understanding certain MBE subjects. For example, instead of getting better at understand property certain people will just try to master subjects that they knew fairly well in July and they never addressed their weaker subjects. So ultimately we are looking at how we did in Barbri simulated, Themis simulated, Kaplan simulated, Adaptibar, and Emmanuels etc.in Feb and compare that to our July score.

Was our method understanding the law or just masking our flaws?

happyhour1122

Silver

Postby happyhour1122 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:45 pm

Chevron Deference wrote:
happyhour1122 wrote:
maxmartin wrote:
happyhour1122 wrote:

It still will be scaled similarly, we are being compared to past tests. If our test is harder we will still get a similar scaled score to previously administered tests. The problem overall is that alot Feb repeaters still have a fundamental flaw at understanding certain MBE subjects. For example, instead of getting better at understand property certain people will just try to master subjects that they knew fairly well in July and they never addressed their weaker subjects. So ultimately we are looking at how we did in Barbri simulated, Themis simulated, Kaplan simulated, Adaptibar, and Emmanuels etc.in Feb and compare that to our July score.

That's just one thing, I needed to improve my essay.
I really hope I improved my essay this time.

Chevron Deference

Bronze

Postby Chevron Deference » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:46 pm

virgoyum wrote:
happyhour1122 wrote:Ok.
Lets think good.

Get drunk.

TBH i'll probably be drunk when i check my scores. I'll need liquid courage this time.

Chevron Deference

Bronze

Postby Chevron Deference » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:48 pm

happyhour1122 wrote:
Chevron Deference wrote:
happyhour1122 wrote:
maxmartin wrote:
happyhour1122 wrote:

You are in a UBE jurisdiction right?

happyhour1122

Silver

Postby happyhour1122 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:49 pm

Chevron Deference wrote:
happyhour1122 wrote:
Chevron Deference wrote:
happyhour1122 wrote:
maxmartin wrote:
happyhour1122 wrote:

Yes

Chevron Deference

Bronze

Postby Chevron Deference » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:58 pm

happyhour1122 wrote:
Chevron Deference wrote:

Yes

Im not sure how you studied this time. I believe I remember you discussing some of the topics in another thread, and if that was you, then you definitely caught a lot of the major issues and the nuances on the essay portions. As long as you structured it well used concise sentences with buzzwords for the grader to recognize then I'm sure you did better than what you are giving yourself credit for.

My essays weren't a problem last July albeit I knew very little law going into the essays I got a pretty good score for the bullshit I typed out. I panicked and I had make a plan on the fly and most of essays came down to structure a solid IRAC and an analysis using all of the facts and a few inferences of "lawyer like" analysis we learned in law school.

So I believed if you had a good structure and the knowledge and a solid command of the issues you have nothing to be worried about.

virgoyum

Bronze

Postby virgoyum » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:05 pm

2016 MBE Statistics: http://www.ncbex.org/publications/stati ... tatistics/

Wow someone got a 58.6 scaled on the MBE in July. They must have just choked. I wouldn't know what to do.

Chevron Deference

Bronze

Postby Chevron Deference » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:19 pm

So for the Illinois takers how did you feel about the written morning IEE section? Did you apply Illinois law or just basic MBE and MEE general laws?

virgoyum

Bronze

Postby virgoyum » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:32 pm

Chevron Deference wrote:So for the Illinois takers how did you feel about the written morning IEE section? Did you apply Illinois law or just basic MBE and MEE general laws?

I remembered applying basic. The only one where I think it may have mattered was the workers comp question which I didn't know or recall reading so I stuck with basic.

squiggle

Bronze

Postby squiggle » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:33 pm

virgoyum wrote:2016 MBE Statistics: http://www.ncbex.org/publications/stati ... tatistics/

Wow someone got a 58.6 scaled on the MBE in July. They must have just choked. I wouldn't know what to do.

I wonder if they only took the morning section.

virgoyum

Bronze

Postby virgoyum » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:34 pm

Has anyone called their processor in IL to confirm Friday?

virgoyum

Bronze

Postby virgoyum » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:40 pm

squiggle wrote:
virgoyum wrote:2016 MBE Statistics: http://www.ncbex.org/publications/stati ... tatistics/

I wonder if they only took the morning section.

That's a possibility.

happyhour1122

Silver

Postby happyhour1122 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:29 pm

Chevron Deference wrote:
happyhour1122 wrote:
Chevron Deference wrote:

Yes

Im not sure how you studied this time. I believe I remember you discussing some of the topics in another thread, and if that was you, then you definitely caught a lot of the major issues and the nuances on the essay portions. As long as you structured it well used concise sentences with buzzwords for the grader to recognize then I'm sure you did better than what you are giving yourself credit for.

My essays weren't a problem last July albeit I knew very little law going into the essays I got a pretty good score for the bullshit I typed out. I panicked and I had make a plan on the fly and most of essays came down to structure a solid IRAC and an analysis using all of the facts and a few inferences of "lawyer like" analysis we learned in law school.

So I believed if you had a good structure and the knowledge and a solid command of the issues you have nothing to be worried about.

I hope that was me!!!!

happyhour1122

Silver

Postby happyhour1122 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:30 pm

I wonder if that person misbubbled or decided not to come for PM

deceptivelyblonde

New

Postby deceptivelyblonde » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:03 am

virgoyum wrote:
ndbigdave wrote:
virgoyum wrote:I hate to freak anyone out but North Carolina's pass rate has been released. First time takers 25% pass rate, overall 44.4%.

See here: http://abovethelaw.com/2017/03/law-scho ... ates-ever/

That is...horrific. However, as another poster has already noted - take the results with a HUGE grain of salt.

For instance, Elon had only 7 first time takers, though it is unnerving to see 0.00% pass, that is not a representative sample. Further, the school with the apparent largest base of students taking the test (Charlotte) is a school on ABA probation that has been a sinking ship over the last few years and clearly has massive problems.

Id be more curious to see MBE scores for the state as opposed to just raw passage rates to get an idea of how February 2017 compares to July and February of 2016 for sake of "toughness" and to see how overall scores fared.

North Carolina just sounds brutal for February takers while looking at past results.

I think the article was implying that Elon let the cat out of the bag with their letter by including state rates. Either way those numbers looked cooked because I went to NCBE and the pass rate is worse. For example article says the pass rate was 51% in February but according NCBE, it was actually 43%. Refer to page 16:

http://www.ncbex.org/pdfviewer/?file=%2 ... ment%2F205
\

I'm not sure it really matters, but I notice this happened a lot last year. The results reported via NCBE wre different (sometimes by a lot) from what was originally reported. I keep track of the pass rates each year, and normally only one or two states make changes on the final report. But this year, I counted several who were changing. Not sure why this would be happening. . . Maybe they just had an abnormally large group taking the MPRE late? But still, a 5%+ change is pretty significant imo.

happyhour1122

Silver

Postby happyhour1122 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:07 am

Less than a month left.
I told my family and friends the scores will be released in May :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?