2017 Results Thread - February Exam

shaq23
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:19 pm

Re: 2017 Results Thread - February Exam

Postby shaq23 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:45 pm

amtornberg wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:
amtornberg wrote:Florida results are up - passed Florida and the MBE!



Congratulations!! Welcome! I'm barred in FL, waiting on NY results this go round.

Do you mind sharing your MBE scores. Midterm and final scaled?


I haven't gotten my exact scores yet. Only the "pass" from the FL Supreme Court. For what its worth, I took (and passed) NY in 2013 and found FL to be much more challenging.


Do you mind sharing how your MBE simulation/practice was leading up to the exam?

RavenAgain
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:25 pm

Re: 2017 Results Thread - February Exam

Postby RavenAgain » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:39 pm

happyhour1122 wrote:
PersistentAttorney wrote:
RavenAgain wrote:
PersistentAttorney wrote:
RavenAgain wrote:
PersistentAttorney wrote:
virgoyum wrote:Hey guys don't want to leave the thread hanging just because I didn't get the news I wanted. Still pushing for those waiting on those results.

Good or bad you will feel the weight start to lift once you find out.


Second-time taker here. Waiting on NY. Failed by 9 scaled points on July. I am a foreign taker (also foreign trained) so, as you probably understand, I kinda betting against the odds here. All in all, my point is that I get you. I get how you must be feeling now.

My circumstances weren't easy when preparing both times. My father was diagnosed with cancer again a year ago after 5 years in remission. It was right before I started studying for July. When my results came out on late October, I didn't get the luxury of grief because I had to wear a smile to cheer him up while he underwent therapy and was hospitalized for about a month during Oct-Nov.

I was about to start preparing for the Feb exam when in early December when my father caught a nasty bug that kept him in intensive care for additional two months and in rehab for another month. Acute pneumonia that sent him into a septic shock and multi-organ failure. Doctors in the unit said there's no chance of him making it as he was in assisted respiration for too long... Well, both my father and I thought otherwise. I coordinated all the doctors I knew from his medical history and managed to bring him back. Today, my mother is having a hard time keeping him in the house...

So I thought that all these hardships meant something = I had to make it. My whole family tried to convince me to either quit or postpone my NY admission efforts and shift my focus on my home country. "You're father is not well", "circumstances are not ideal" (as if they ever are...), "competition is very high". They even told me not to take the exam for a third time if I failed this one - not after the exam but just a couple of days before. Only one person in my family believed in me: Me.

"The odds for a foreign retaker is ~15%": I couldn't care less. "More debt for the trip and application fees": Who gives a f**k?

I watched this video every day I felt my reality was catching up with my determination:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41Zjh3AirjU

It really helped. "Those who say they can't and those who say they can are usually both right..."
Although I don't yet know whether I passed, I feel optimistic. Repeated the Kaplan Prep Course I purchased in my first attempt as it was for free and trusted the system. Studied harder and more determined. Left the exam feeling more confident than the first time. In July I was thinking "it's OK to fail, considering the circumstances..."

This time failure wasn't an option. But even if I do fail, I will try again. And again, and again...
The only thing I have to say to bar exam takers: You owe this success to no one else but yourself. It is for you. No one is going to feel like you will, whether you pass or fail. It is a lonely and uphill path; and you'll either fail and tumble down alone or make it to the top and enjoy the view alone.
The only certain way to failure is quitting. No matter how many times it takes for you to pass, you never really failed unless you quit. Remember that.


I agree. Failing is like falling down but you get up and run again. I wish you the best!

I am a fifth time taker. It is tough to make a choice when times are not easy during the bar exam.

Quitting was not an option for me too. I went and took the bar exam just after my mother was diagnosed with cancer, planning to be with her afterwards, as the prognosis was hopeful. My mother sent me an encouraging text message on the first bar exam test day. She died a few days later.

I failed. I wanted to go back in time and felt guilty for having taken the exam. You can not change the past. So I decided to take the exam until I pass.

In Feb 2017 I prepared to re-sit the bar exam when my father-in-law suddenly died just days before the exam itself. To take the test worrying or grieving a loved one is not easy. Still my husband encouraged me to fly to CA and take the exam.

I am a foreign attorney and not an English native speaker. So the odds are also very much against me, particularly so as the 15% foreigner's pass rate includes people who are English native speakers.

Despite all I left the exam this time feeling for the first time encouraged as I completed both MPTs and did not miss any of the big major issues. However classically with each day my confidence gets weaker as I have no idea about the MBEs and doubts about my essays.

6 more weeks until results are out ... And so little to divert my attention from 12 May...


I feel exactly the same way as we move towards the results. Although I left the exam feeling that everything went OK, the more we move towards the release dates the more insecure I feel. But this is just and illusion. Your performance those two days has nothing to do with how you feel now, as this negativity stems from the desire to pass which in turn causes anxiety. The more you want it, the more likely is to stress you.

Regarding your guilt, don't feel this way. I was in the same dilemma this February as my father was hospitalized in my home town and my work is 500 miles away. I had to leave him behind and continue both working and preparing for the bar exam. I said my "goodbyes" and really thought I would never see him again. Felt guilty as hell, but life goes on. And both your mother and my father would never want to see us stop pursuing our dreams because of their misfortunes.

I know CA is difficult. One very close friend of mine, native speaker and excellent student, sat the exam this February for the 3rd time. The second time he failed by so little we couldn't believe it. Be patient and keep working on your skills every day relentlessly. You need to obsess over the exam and your preparation. Everything else MUST wait, otherwise you will carry this as a burden your whole life.

Finally, think of this: Most people in your position would have quit already. Not only you didn't, but you have decided to go the full distance until you reach your goal. This means that you want it more than anyone else out there. Now, imagine what kind of a badass attorney this determination will make. He who wants it the most is the most likely to get it, and by "it" I mean success, no matter how you define it.

I wish you the very best of luck in your results this May. Fingers crossed!


PersistentAttorney - very grateful for your words. Fingers crossed for end of April for you!
I will try to get a job in NY if I should pass. The green card lottery is in May too, maybe my name is being picked.


I applied for the lottery too. Let's see! One step at a time.


what happens if you are not selected for the lottery? :shock:


happyhour - Then I will apply again for the next annual lottery and keep working in Europe.
I will still try to apply for US jobs, but the applicable H1B1 visa makes it virtually impossible without support from a future employer (and its a big burden for the employer, not just financially!).

maxmartin
Posts: 539
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:41 pm

Re: 2017 Results Thread - February Exam

Postby maxmartin » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:48 pm

RavenAgain wrote:what happens if you are not selected for the lottery? :shock:


happyhour - Then I will apply again for the next annual lottery and keep working in Europe.
I will still try to apply for US jobs, but the applicable H1B1 visa makes it virtually impossible without support from a future employer (and its a big burden for the employer, not just financially!).[/quote]

You are in Euro? You took an international flight to take the bar exam? :shock:

happyhour1122
Posts: 1026
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:08 pm

Re: 2017 Results Thread - February Exam

Postby happyhour1122 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:11 pm

maxmartin wrote:
RavenAgain wrote:what happens if you are not selected for the lottery? :shock:


happyhour - Then I will apply again for the next annual lottery and keep working in Europe.
I will still try to apply for US jobs, but the applicable H1B1 visa makes it virtually impossible without support from a future employer (and its a big burden for the employer, not just financially!).


You are in Euro? You took an international flight to take the bar exam? :shock:[/quote]

Wow H1B sounds like a burden.
I saw a lot of people in the exam site that flew international to take the bar exam.
Imagine having to come back for the interview and the swearing in ceremony... @.@

maxmartin
Posts: 539
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:41 pm

Re: 2017 Results Thread - February Exam

Postby maxmartin » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:16 pm

happyhour1122 wrote:
maxmartin wrote:
RavenAgain wrote:what happens if you are not selected for the lottery? :shock:


happyhour - Then I will apply again for the next annual lottery and keep working in Europe.
I will still try to apply for US jobs, but the applicable H1B1 visa makes it virtually impossible without support from a future employer (and its a big burden for the employer, not just financially!).


You are in Euro? You took an international flight to take the bar exam? :shock:


Wow H1B sounds like a burden.
I saw a lot of people in the exam site that flew international to take the bar exam.
Imagine having to come back for the interview and the swearing in ceremony... @.@[/quote]

Most states don't have interview. But it will be such a pain to adjust the time difference for the exam. I would arrive at least two days earlier prior to the exam.

TeamPoppy
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:37 pm

Re: 2017 Results Thread - February Exam

Postby TeamPoppy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:32 pm

shaq23 wrote:
amtornberg wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:
amtornberg wrote:Florida results are up - passed Florida and the MBE!



Congratulations!! Welcome! I'm barred in FL, waiting on NY results this go round.

Do you mind sharing your MBE scores. Midterm and final scaled?


I haven't gotten my exact scores yet. Only the "pass" from the FL Supreme Court. For what its worth, I took (and passed) NY in 2013 and found FL to be much more challenging.


Do you mind sharing how your MBE simulation/practice was leading up to the exam?


Fwiw, my scaled MBE score was 148 and my Themis practice averages settled in between 65-70%. I have no idea what my raw score was on the actual MBE.

My general strategy was to focus 80% of my time on the MBE. In my state, MBE is 50% of the points, plus those subjects also appear on the essay.

I reccomend Themis or any prep course that 1) gives you actual MBE questions and 2) gives you explnations of why each answer is right/wrong. I constantly got frustrated with the Themis questions because they tried to trick you. It made me mad, but those are also the questions that help you remember the rules.

maxmartin
Posts: 539
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:41 pm

Re: 2017 Results Thread - February Exam

Postby maxmartin » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:39 pm

TeamPoppy wrote:
shaq23 wrote:
amtornberg wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:
amtornberg wrote:Florida results are up - passed Florida and the MBE!



Congratulations!! Welcome! I'm barred in FL, waiting on NY results this go round.

Do you mind sharing your MBE scores. Midterm and final scaled?


I haven't gotten my exact scores yet. Only the "pass" from the FL Supreme Court. For what its worth, I took (and passed) NY in 2013 and found FL to be much more challenging.


Do you mind sharing how your MBE simulation/practice was leading up to the exam?


Fwiw, my scaled MBE score was 148 and my Themis practice averages settled in between 65-70%. I have no idea what my raw score was on the actual MBE.

My general strategy was to focus 80% of my time on the MBE. In my state, MBE is 50% of the points, plus those subjects also appear on the essay.

I reccomend Themis or any prep course that 1) gives you actual MBE questions and 2) gives you explnations of why each answer is right/wrong. I constantly got frustrated with the Themis questions because they tried to trick you. It made me mad, but those are also the questions that help you remember the rules.


I didn't know Themis was giving you real MBE questions. Are you talking about Themis Multistate Practice Exam book?

User avatar
lolabear727
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:07 pm

Re: 2017 Results Thread - February Exam

Postby lolabear727 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:34 pm

amtornberg wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:
amtornberg wrote:Florida results are up - passed Florida and the MBE!



Congratulations!! Welcome! I'm barred in FL, waiting on NY results this go round.

Do you mind sharing your MBE scores. Midterm and final scaled?


I haven't gotten my exact scores yet. Only the "pass" from the FL Supreme Court. For what its worth, I took (and passed) NY in 2013 and found FL to be much more challenging.



That makes me feel a little better. Although it is the UBE now. I didn't think it was too challenging, compare to FL. Granted this time I am working full time so I'm sure I didn't do as well as I could have if I was just studying like last time. Thanks for the encouragement.

User avatar
lolabear727
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:07 pm

Re: 2017 Results Thread - February Exam

Postby lolabear727 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:38 pm

Florida passing rate 57.7% overall. :shock:
72.7% for previously admitted takers (which is a relief for any other attorneys waiting for their results!)

AP5623
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:26 pm

Re: 2017 Results Thread - February Exam

Postby AP5623 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:29 pm

SD released via snail mail today

happyhour1122
Posts: 1026
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:08 pm

Re: 2017 Results Thread - February Exam

Postby happyhour1122 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:27 pm

so jealous FL don't list the names of passers

YalteseFalcon
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:28 pm

Re: 2017 Results Thread - February Exam

Postby YalteseFalcon » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:33 pm

My PA score breakdown arrived today. To the extent that it is helpful to anyone, I wanted to share my Barbri simulated score and actual MBE performance.

My actual scaled MBE score was 160.4.

My simulated Barbri MBE was around 122. I don't recall the exact number.

On average, I had been scoring around 60-66% on each of the MPQ sets. Some as high as 80%, some as low as 18%.

My Barbri percentile ranking was all over the place, depending on subject, but averaged out around the 59-60th percentile.

I completed 82% of the Barbri program. I also made my own flash cards (two of those index card boxes full, with 4x6 cards) for every subject.

On MBE day, I felt unprepared and believed the questions to be unfamiliar and difficult. However, apparently that perception did not correspond with poor performance.

Finally, I will add that although I am already licensed in NJ, this exam was a retake for me in PA.

I took NJ/PA in 2013 but only passed NJ. I scored a 265 in PA, 7 points short of the required 272. I worked in a non-legal job for 4 years after that before accepting an offer at a firm and deciding to take PA again. This time, my total score was 314. My few months with Barbri were a mini law school cram session. It was a miserable period, and it felt like I was relearning everything from square one.

I add this last part in hopes that anyone who didn't get the result they were hoping for this time can see that they will have another chance. If I could improve my score by that much, 4 years out of law school (and 4 years after having even LOOKED at law matierial, ANYONE can. Do NOT let the statistics about retakers intimidate you.

AP5623
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:26 pm

Re: 2017 Results Thread - February Exam

Postby AP5623 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:48 pm

Passed SD!

gladiator0flaw11
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:22 pm

Re: 2017 Results Thread - February Exam

Postby gladiator0flaw11 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:32 pm

NY has to drag things out, going to be the third time I don't see my name on the passing list. Only thing keeping me going are big interviews in different industries. FML

ProspectiveStudent69
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:43 pm

Re: 2017 Results Thread - February Exam

Postby ProspectiveStudent69 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:11 pm

Nyjdgirl wrote:
ProspectiveStudent69 wrote:I passed Iowa!! Got a 289 on the UBE. Pretty happy!



Congrats on passing! How did you feel coming out the test I'm still waiting on New York after failing the first time by 5 points


I felt pretty good coming out of the test. I had like 5 months to prepare. The MEE/MPT parts were more difficult than the MBE. I felt really prepared for the the MBE after doing the midterm and making succinct outlines. Good luck!! I hope you passed :)!

sdimo
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:53 am

Re: 2017 Results Thread - February Exam

Postby sdimo » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:17 am

gladiator0flaw11 wrote:NY has to drag things out, going to be the third time I don't see my name on the passing list. Only thing keeping me going are big interviews in different industries. FML


lol NJ waits until NY posts to release results, I feel you.
what kind of different industries are you looking into?

this was my third attempt at NJ in a row, first two attempts missed Feb 16 by 2 points while working FT, then July 16 by 5 points working FT plus overtime bc i had debt to pay down. I finally felt solid after prepping MBE this time around using adaptibar, but then that MEE with the new subjects blew me out of the water. I threw down as much as possible, but it seemed like hardly enough at the time. I've been temping doing doc review for 2 years now at the same firm for mass tort litigation, but if this exam wasn't the pass for me, i'm ready to move on. I have a business degree and still wouldn't even know where to start looking for jobs.

User avatar
anandamide
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:35 pm

Re: 2017 Results Thread - February Exam

Postby anandamide » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:51 am

I personally feel like I've lost my mind. I can't sleep, have stomach aches, irritable, and have massive headaches. I did everything I could for this exam: barbri, PMBR, and private tutor AND a month off work (im out of vacation time until 2019! LOL).

Sat for two bars, now I just look forward to each day ending to I can be one step closer to knowing my fate. It's the being in "limbo" part that is the worst. I wish, just like all of you, what the results of this exam are so I can better be prepared for my future.

End rant. :shock:

RavenAgain
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:25 pm

Re: 2017 Results Thread - February Exam

Postby RavenAgain » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:52 am

maxmartin wrote:
happyhour1122 wrote:
maxmartin wrote:
RavenAgain wrote:what happens if you are not selected for the lottery? :shock:


happyhour - Then I will apply again for the next annual lottery and keep working in Europe.
I will still try to apply for US jobs, but the applicable H1B1 visa makes it virtually impossible without support from a future employer (and its a big burden for the employer, not just financially!).


You are in Euro? You took an international flight to take the bar exam? :shock:


Wow H1B sounds like a burden.
I saw a lot of people in the exam site that flew international to take the bar exam.
Imagine having to come back for the interview and the swearing in ceremony... @.@


Most states don't have interview. But it will be such a pain to adjust the time difference for the exam. I would arrive at least two days earlier prior to the exam.[/quote]

@max & happy - The swearing in ceremony is done in US embassies too.
And yes I flew 4 days before the bar to CA, but the jet lag is rather helpful as it gets you out of bed really early (good for a night owl!)!

happyhour1122
Posts: 1026
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:08 pm

Re: 2017 Results Thread - February Exam

Postby happyhour1122 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:00 am

RavenAgain wrote:
maxmartin wrote:
happyhour1122 wrote:
maxmartin wrote:
RavenAgain wrote:what happens if you are not selected for the lottery? :shock:


happyhour - Then I will apply again for the next annual lottery and keep working in Europe.
I will still try to apply for US jobs, but the applicable H1B1 visa makes it virtually impossible without support from a future employer (and its a big burden for the employer, not just financially!).


You are in Euro? You took an international flight to take the bar exam? :shock:


Wow H1B sounds like a burden.
I saw a lot of people in the exam site that flew international to take the bar exam.
Imagine having to come back for the interview and the swearing in ceremony... @.@


Most states don't have interview. But it will be such a pain to adjust the time difference for the exam. I would arrive at least two days earlier prior to the exam.


@max & happy - The swearing in ceremony is done in US embassies too.
And yes I flew 4 days before the bar to CA, but the jet lag is rather helpful as it gets you out of bed really early (good for a night owl!)![/quote]

wow! foreign attorneys pay extra application fee for NY and have to fly in and have to go back for swearing in....
can't imagine :roll:

Impishee
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:28 pm

Re: 2017 Results Thread - February Exam

Postby Impishee » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:07 am

For those of you with results, how have you felt about your MEE essay scores? There has been more discussion about the MBE, and I know essay performance is harder to objectively measure since there was no more uniform pre-test like the simulated MBE.

But, assuming this 25 experimental questions isn't working in our favor, it'd be good to see how people are feeling about the results of another part. In case maybe there is hope in that.

User avatar
lolabear727
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:07 pm

Re: 2017 Results Thread - February Exam

Postby lolabear727 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:51 am

Impishee wrote:For those of you with results, how have you felt about your MEE essay scores? There has been more discussion about the MBE, and I know essay performance is harder to objectively measure since there was no more uniform pre-test like the simulated MBE.

But, assuming this 25 experimental questions isn't working in our favor, it'd be good to see how people are feeling about the results of another part. In case maybe there is hope in that.


+1

happyhour1122
Posts: 1026
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:08 pm

Re: 2017 Results Thread - February Exam

Postby happyhour1122 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:03 pm

I took a nap...had a dream I failed the bar...

User avatar
lolabear727
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:07 pm

Re: 2017 Results Thread - February Exam

Postby lolabear727 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:12 pm

happyhour1122 wrote:I took a nap...had a dream I failed the bar...


The TLS award for most anxious goes to HappyHour1122!! lol

happyhour1122
Posts: 1026
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:08 pm

Re: 2017 Results Thread - February Exam

Postby happyhour1122 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:21 pm

lolabear727 wrote:
happyhour1122 wrote:I took a nap...had a dream I failed the bar...


The TLS award for most anxious goes to HappyHour1122!! lol



omg I LOLed so hard, my judge just looked at me.

I'm going to express all my anxiety and stress on TLS. In real life, I'm acting like as if I never took the exam. Let me be!!! :P :P :P
Imagine what I'm going to be like when I fail....
or pass

dionysius1
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:44 pm

Re: 2017 Results Thread - February Exam

Postby dionysius1 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:32 pm

I just received ANOTHER "Bar Exam Survey" email from BOLE. Are they intentionally trying to torture us? Enough already!
:x :x :x




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: logical seasoning and 15 guests